HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jake Gardiner for a # 1 centre?

Old
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
dannyboy8920

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfie9 View Post
Leafs fans overrate Gardiner so much. It's getting to be a bit much
When someone tells you over and over they are a AHLer and not worth anything significant. It is quite easy to overrate. Considering someones starting point was Ryan Spooner.

Gardiner is worth a 7th rounder.

Done. End the thread. All Leaf fans lets start agreeing on this consensus.

dannyboy8920 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:23 PM
Inverted

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyboy8920 View Post
When someone tells you over and over they are a AHLer and not worth anything significant. It is quite easy to overrate. Considering someones starting point was Ryan Spooner.

Gardiner is worth a 7th rounder.

Done. End the thread. All Leaf fans lets start agreeing on this consensus.
Just like Kadri was labbled "bust" after being in and out of the team last few seasons. Even now I hear "Kadri and JVR are just overachieving they'll cool off soon"

Inverted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
Originally Posted by H0MER View Post
Just like Kadri was labbled "bust" after being in and out of the team last few seasons. Even now I hear "Kadri and JVR are just overachieving they'll cool off soon"
Yeah them too. They are worth 7th rounders , Similar to Loktionov and Tangradi.....nothing more.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
IHeartZherdev

So now this thread has become Leafs fans whining about how persecuted they are? Who'd have thought...

IHeartZherdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:38 PM
Kulemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartZherdev View Post
So now this thread has become Leafs fans whining about how persecuted they are? Who'd have thought...
You bring it on yourselves. It's hilarious.

Kulemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
Not looking for sympathy, not at all. Nice try spinning in another direction now, hit all areas.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:43 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulemon View Post
You bring it on yourselves. It's hilarious.
Yes, for daring to list comparable young defensman that set the market. How offensive!

Old
03-12-2013, 06:44 PM
mulefarm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
Good post. Gardiner is coming 23 (or is it 24?) A lot of scouts might think he's reached his ceiling, so his value might be lower than people realize.
Are you in a dream world? He is 22, has played 75 NHL games out of college, all rookie team, major minutes, one of the top players in AHL until injury and you are saying he has reached his ceiling? Please come up with something better!

mulefarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
Yes, for daring to list comparable young defensman that set the market. How offensive!
Quit being insecure, no one is targeting specifically you.

Back to the topic at hand;

Who wants Frattin for a 7th?

Old
03-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Oates2Neely

We'll Carlyle obviously doesn't agree with you Leaf fans, he's leaving Gardiner in the minors as the Leafs fight to make the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Yet you are trying to sell us fans that it has to do with "waivers"? C'mon. I'm not calling Gardiner a bust, but he isn't the all-star that most of you Leaf fans painted last season. He's a young dman who is struggling to keep his roster spot on an NHL team. I'd think the Leafs would want to ice their best team possible in order to make the playoffs, and at the moment, Gardiner isn't part of that team. Who's the kid playing with Phanuef? You're telling me Gardiner can't beat him out?

Oates2Neely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:54 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 542
Meh, even good coaches sometimes make questionable roster decisions/have certain preferences and biases. I wouldn't read much into it. As a young dman Carlyle may not have full faith in his defensive abilities yet and doesn't want to mix things up while the team is playing well, but that doesn't mean he's not going to go on to be a great dman once he's given more responsibilities. Which will inevitably happen.

Nihiliste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:56 PM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
We'll Carlyle obviously doesn't agree with you Leaf fans, he's leaving Gardiner in the minors as the Leafs fight to make the playoffs for the first time in almost a decade. Yet you are trying to sell us fans that it has to do with "waivers"? C'mon. I'm not calling Gardiner a bust, but he isn't the all-star that most of you Leaf fans painted last season
We will see, has a lot to prove. We aren't trying to SELL him to anyone, cause we don't want him gone. Hence, the 100s of pages and threads complaining about players like Holzer and Kostka playing over him.

The fact we are competing and Fraser is almost leading the league in +/- is the reason Gardiner isn't up. Liles is a better player then anyone (save Franson) on the Right side; However he holds his stick the other way and Randy is sitting him out because of it. It is hard to go against a coach who has clearly instilled a system that is making it hard for opposing teams.

Sure, if he were lights out in the AHL, he would be up and Gunnarsson would be sitting, moved etc. But like I said before and proven in his play last year, AHL is a different beast, He is a NHLer and I am confident in saying that.

I'll probably leave it at that.....but unfortunately someone will say something, and I may have to put the needle back down at the beginning of the record again.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Did you watch Moore? Or Erixon? Or any of them? Yes I did watch Gardiner last year when he was with the Leafs. He looked good. But apparently he wasn't good enough to crack the lineup this year. Listen, if this is all asset management, and Gardiner could improve the team that much compared to Kostka or Holzer or whomever, why wouldn't the Leafs trade that defenseman to a team that needs a player and then improve their team and get something else?

He was injured through training camp, and according to some still recovering.

No point in rushing him while we are still winning.

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:06 PM
charliolemieux
No Lu-wiki Zone

Quote:
No, the problem is anyone that doesn't over-value a Leaf prospect is somehow labeled a "leaf hater"

If you're a Leafs fan, you have every right to be excited about him. But when assessing his value, it's important to look what's out there. As my list proved, it's not like there is a shortage of good young d men in the game right now. And, as my list also proved, there are a lot of guys Gardiner's age who have already established themselves at the NHL level, thus, making him less valuable. A 22 year old playing well in the AHL is not a hot commodity around the league when there is this many great 23 and under players lighting up scoresheets and logging big minutes.

That doesn't mean he won't be good at some point. But if you are looking across the NHL and are judging which D-men ages 19-23 have the most value, Gardiner is towards the end of the pack.

LEafs prospects are among the most undervalued on these boards. Don't you know they all suck and should be traded for 6th and 7th round picks?

charliolemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:08 PM
avsfansince95

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post

He was injured through training camp, and according to some still recovering.

No point in rushing him while we are still winning.
He got Injured cause he sucks!

avsfansince95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
IHeartZherdev

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post

LEafs prospects are among the most undervalued on these boards. Don't you know they all suck and should be traded for 6th and 7th round picks?
I still can't believe they stole a stud #1 center like Joe Colbourne in the Kaberle deal

Old
03-12-2013, 07:24 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 1100
Quote:
No he can't. The NYR wouldn't even part with Stepan for RICK NASH. Yet, Jake Gardiner is fair value?
I'm not a leafs fan but this proves nothing. Rangers had specific needs and since they weren't getting a center in return did not want to trade their number two center.

For example, Habs wouldn't trade Price for an excellent D either. It's because of circumstance.

If Rick Nash was a center stepan may have been sent.

Gardiner has good value. I DID say maybe Stepan has more as he got to play in NHL this year but at start of the year it was equal IMO. Only difference is one got injured.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote