Notices

Realignment-NHLPA and league approve

Old
02-27-2013, 12:12 PM
rudos1

vCash: 500
Realignment-NHLPA and league approve

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-rea...9737--nhl.html

I like four divisions I'm not sure how I like the way those divisions are likely to end up though...

rudos1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:17 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:
Originally Posted by rudos1 View Post
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nhl-rea...9737--nhl.html

I like four divisions I'm not sure how I like the way those divisions are likely to end up though...
Only the NHL would make a system that was supposed to increase division rivalries, then make a schedule that has them play said division 2 less times per season, while increasing meaningless Western Conference games.

Not to mention, no team in any division will be playing the same schedule as their foes their supposedly competing against.

This is stupid on so many levels.

Are STHs out there really that excited for the loss of a home game vs Montreal, Toronto, Philly, Pitt, etc. just so they can see Phoenix or Minnesota once every year?

I for one know I will be going to much less games.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:26 PM
chuckdobbins

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Only the NHL would make a system that was supposed to increase division rivalries, then make a schedule that has them play said division 2 less times per season, while increasing meaningless Western Conference games.

Not to mention, no team in any division will be playing the same schedule as their foes their supposedly competing against.

Are STHs out there really that excited for the loss of a home game vs Montreal, Toronto, Philly, Pitt, etc. just so they can see Phoenix or Minnesota once every year?

This is one thing that I think we have always seen 100% eye to eye on. I would love to sit down with the guy who proposed "why don't we cut the divisional games from 8 to 6?" and kick him in the bag. There can NEVER be too many games against Montreal and Toronto. Ever.

chuckdobbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
patty59

Quote:

They've been ****ing things up for decades now. This is not really surprising.

I am a little happy that the Bruins will be heading out West every year, but overall I don't like it.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:30 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:

So overall, we'll lose a home game vs. Montreal, Philly, NYR, Buffalo and Pitt. Gain one with Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, LA, San Jose.

Lose one with Ottawa, TB, Florida, Carolina, Winnipeg, Gain one with Phoenix, Minnesota.

I hope more people start going to less games so the secondary market falls and I can start going to more, because generally the team I go to see is the Bruins.

MTaylorJ1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:33 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
So overall, we'll lose a home game vs. Montreal, Philly, NYR, Buffalo and Pitt. Gain one with Detroit, Chicago, Vancouver, LA, San Jose.

Lose one with Ottawa, TB, Florida, Carolina, Winnipeg, Gain one with Phoenix, Minnesota.

I hope more people start going to less games so the secondary market falls and I can start going to more, because generally the team I go to see is the Bruins.
I see what you're getting to here, but generally speaking the entertainment value in a Canadiens game is much different than one hosting the Coyotes. It could definitely just be me though, as it's really just a matter of opinions and preferences.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:37 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckdobbins View Post
I see what you're getting to here, but generally speaking the entertainment value in a Canadiens game is much different than one hosting the Coyotes. It could definitely just be me though, as it's really just a matter of opinions and preferences.
You're doing what everyone else is doing though, the fair way to do it is compare the best matchup we're losing Montreal with the best one we're gaining Chicago or Vancouver.

You could just as easily frame it, "This schedule is awesome, lose a game against Florida, gain one against the Blackhawks? Sign me up!"

That all being said, I'd rather they go to 32 and go division heavy for everything. Teach the new markets to hate their rival new market like we do with Philly and Montreal. Of course that would require the NHL to teach the man to fish, rather than give him Fish McBites.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:41 PM
Hnidy Hnight

Im all for more divisional games for the record. But here's a devil's advocate argument I could make....
Maybe less will be more. The Red Sox Yankee rivalry seemed to take a turn for stale when they went from 12 to 18 games. Maybe things will have a football like feel and hype leading up to certain divisional games.

Hnidy Hnight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 12:45 PM
chuckdobbins

Quote:
You're doing what everyone else is doing though, the fair way to do it is compare the best matchup we're losing Montreal with the best one we're gaining Chicago or Vancouver.

You could just as easily frame it, "This schedule is awesome, lose a game against Florida, gain one against the Blackhawks? Sign me up!"

That all being said, I'd rather they go to 32 and go division heavy for everything. Teach the new markets to hate their rival new market like we do with Philly and Montreal. Of course that would require the NHL to teach the man to fish, rather than give him Fish McBites.
I will agree on this completely. Would love them to get back to a division centric format, but I just don't see it happening any time soon unfortunately.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:

But how are Chicago, or LA games exciting? I don't recall anything from their previous meetings aside from someone yelling at Thornton when he hurt his eye.

Vancouver is exciting because they met int he playoffs, before that their games were pretty boring.

This just seems like pander to the expansion markets so their transplants can come into the building once a year to see their old team.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hnidy Hnight View Post
Im all for more divisional games for the record. But here's a devil's advocate argument I could make....
Maybe less will be more. The Red Sox Yankee rivalry seemed to take a turn for stale when they went from 12 to 18 games. Maybe things will have a football like feel and hype leading up to certain divisional games.
Yankee/Red Sox games have gone stale because they have not met in the playoffs in 8 years.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
But how are Chicago, or LA games exciting? I don't recall anything from their previous meetings aside from someone yelling at Thornton when he hurt his eye.

Vancouver is exciting because they met int he playoffs, before that their games were pretty boring.

This just seems like pander to the expansion markets so their transplants can come into the building once a year to see their old team.
What was memorable about the last Bruins-Habs game besides Claude giving us a glimpse of Lucic-Krejci-Seguin which would have been memorable had he done it against Phoenix and they scored two goals.

I don't agree with the strategy, but if we're going to look solely through the lens of franchises with storied histories then the NHL might as well contract to 16 teams and forever deem itself a 3rd rate league.

Old
02-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Morris Wanchuk

But then again.. people are not wired like me.

I paid for 25% of my tickets last year selling games vs Detroit and Jets

Old
02-27-2013, 12:55 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
What was memorable about the last Bruins-Habs game besides Claude giving us a glimpse of Lucic-Krejci-Seguin which would have been memorable had he done it against Phoenix and they scored two goals.

I don't agree with the strategy, but if we're going to look solely through the lens of franchises with storied histories then the NHL might as well contract to 16 teams and forever deem itself a 3rd rate league.
Ottawa does not have a "storied history" or anything like that, but generally their games are entertaining because there is a hate between the two teams.

The Bruins and Red Wings have not met in the playoffs since 1957...lots of "history" but no hate. And generally their games are forgettable.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:02 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Ottawa does not have a "storied history" or anything like that, but generally their games are entertaining because there is a hate between the two teams.

The Bruins and Red Wings have not met in the playoffs since 1957...lots of "history" but no hate. And generally their games are forgettable.
There's hate between the Bruins and Senators? I don't buy that at all. I can't think of a memorable Senators game in years, and I remember the Friday night Bruins/Red Wings game from '08-'09 quite well, was the first game where people started to take the Bruins seriously as contenders post lockout.

I don't quite equate fighting with viewing enjoyment like I imagine you do though.

Of course you raise a good point in all this. The NHL looks at the varied schedule as a "compromise" of sorts, but it doesn't do enough to support the Newer markets on it's own, and won't allow them to develop their own rivalries through playoff familiarity.

If they went to heavy-division, the league could rake in revenue in the big markets, share much more of it then they do, and grow the league as a whole to the point where a generation from now, those markets could support (and likely cry for heavy-division schedules) themselves.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:10 PM
PJ StockBB

can someone clear this up for me.....in this new alignment would we be playing teams like philly, pitt and washington two less times?

if that's the case, i hate it. couldn't give a **** less about playing twice against every western conference team. makes no sense.

PJ StockBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Pie O My

ripping Detroit out of the Norris just don't feel right.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJ StockBB View Post
can someone clear this up for me.....in this new alignment would we be playing teams like philly, pitt and washington two less times?

if that's the case, i hate it. couldn't give a **** less about playing twice against every western conference team. makes no sense.
1 less time.

Old
02-27-2013, 01:47 PM
BB624

Quote:
Yankee/Red Sox games have gone stale because they have not met in the playoffs in 8 years.
And the years it was biggest 2003-2008. They played 18 or 19 ea year.

BB624 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 02:46 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:

I don't see it this way at all. I see us losing one game against these guys and gaining a game every year against Vancouver, Chicago, St Louis etc. I like the fact that we get to see every team in the league every year.

It's completely understandable that you love the division rivalries. I think we still have them though. I don't need to face the same team that many times in a season. I would love to see the B's play the hawks this year. It's not gonna happen though. I'd also love to see another rematch against the Canucks...not gonna happen. Yes, not having as many big games in division is a little disappointing. But the fact we get to face the best of the west and see how we match up against them, more than makes up for it imo. I also think the fact that we are going to have 4 of the original 6 in our division is awesome. I'd love getting to see the wings come to Boston multiple times every year.

02-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looch View Post
I don't see it this way at all. I see us losing one game against these guys and gaining a game every year against Vancouver, Chicago, St Louis etc. I like the fact that we get to see every team in the league every year.

It's completely understandable that you love the division rivalries. I think we still have them though. I don't need to face the same team that many times in a season. I would love to see the B's play the hawks this year. It's not gonna happen though. I'd also love to see another rematch against the Canucks...not gonna happen. Yes, not having as many big games in division is a little disappointing. But the fact we get to face the best of the west and see how we match up against them, more than makes up for it imo. I also think the fact that we are going to have 4 of the original 6 in our division is awesome. I'd love getting to see the wings come to Boston multiple times every year.
I guess I just don't see the excitement of playing Chicago because they are an O6 team.

Old
02-27-2013, 03:23 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:

I have always found games against good western conference teams as exciting - I don't think there needs to be hate, fights and line brawls for a matchup to be exciting. As an example, I really looked forward to Bruins games against teams like the Sharks and Red Wings over the past several years, and against the Ducks when they were great, and against Chicago when they were great. I can do without the Coyotes and Wild, but you take the good with the bad.

Maybe as a STH the game experience is better when the stands are full of idiots from Montreal or Toronto, but for me watching on TV, I'd take a couple of Bruins-Hawks game this year at the expense of a couple more Bruins-Sabres game.

ThomasJ13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:30 PM
ThomasJ13

Quote:

It may very well be that this is part of it. I can tell you that living in California and going to Ducks and Kings games, there is more of a 'buzz' when Toronto, Detroit or Boston is in, as compared to say San Jose or Dallas. I bet ticket resellers in the California, Phoenix and Dallas markets are all in favor of this restructure...

ThomasJ13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:46 PM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:

I'd gladly give up a few regular season games against MTL or TML if it meant being more likely to play them when true rivalries are born: in the post-season ... err, I guess Toronto's a bad example for that, as of late.

But my point stands: playing extended 7 game series against the same teams year in/year out is what will cause bad blood & increase rivalries, more-so than playing two extra regular season games spread out among the 82 game season.

And IRT season ticket holders: There are frequently guys that play out West that I'd like to see in person - maybe I don't get too amped up about SJ per-se, but it was fun to have Thornton come back to Boston after he was traded (or Bourque coming back all those years ago). I'd be cool to get to see the young stars from Edmonton. It'd be fun to have Vancouver come to town, or Chicago, or (for my biased case) Colorado. There are more WC teams that I'd be happy to see in person than I'd lament having to see.

EDIT: for me, in a perfect world, the divisions would still play a heavy-schedule within their division and then a relatively equal spread among the other three divisions. I don't care to see the new "Atlantic" division more than the two "Western" divisions.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 07:00 PM
Looch
B's, C's & Sox

Quote:
I guess I just don't see the excitement of playing Chicago because they are an O6 team.
Look at the bright side. You may find it easier to see the excitement of selling a Chicago game since you won't be attending More than likely they will bring more than a game against the sens, leafs or Sabres.

Looch is offline   Reply With Quote