HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 11:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by camboy View Post
When was the last 8 player deal in the NHL? Just wondering.
Nash trade was close(7), if you count draft picks.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:55 PM
doubledown99

vCash: 500
Grabovski? Seriously? Has HFOil gone crazy? What is with the obsession with all these crappy Leafs players?

Old
03-14-2013, 11:57 PM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubledown99 View Post
Grabovski? Seriously? Has HFOil gone crazy? What is with the obsession with all these crappy Leafs players?
My guess is we got one guy from them who's decent, so people suddenly assume they're the answer

Old
03-15-2013, 12:30 AM
oilers4life5

I wonder if we will sign any of these college free agents bobby Mac is tweeting about. One guy is a 6'6 centre. Yes please or a Dman. Show us again you can sign top notch free agents Tambo or take a chance on someone.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Based on my conversations with NHL clubs, consensus top 3 college free agents are: DeKeyser, D, WMU; Sustr, D, UNO; Laganiere, RW, Yale.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Kellan Lain, a 6-foot-6 centre from Lake State, may be one of first college free agents to sign with NHL team, maybe within next 48 hours.

Last edited by oilers4life5: 03-15-2013 at 12:40 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 12:40 AM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I wonder if we will sign any of these college free agents bobby Mac is tweeting about. One guy is a 6'6 centre. Yes please or a Dman. Show us agin you can sign top notch free agents Tambo or take a chance on someone.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Based on my conversations with NHL clubs, consensus top 3 college free agents are: DeKeyser, D, WMU; Sustr, D, UNO; Laganiere, RW, Yale.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Kellan Lain, a 6-foot-6 centre from Lake State, may be one of first college free agents to sign with NHL team, maybe within next 48 hours.
Rumor had it that we were really interested in Ladaniere from Yale. According to HF he plays a powerforward game.

03-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers92 View Post
did you even look up grabovski's cap hit? gagner wont make more then him as grabovski some how earns 5.5mil a yr
Grabo is also easily knocked off puck why he is struggling Opposition have learned not to give him room and get in his face.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:50 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I can't even think of the last time there was a significant multi-player deal. NHL GM's are uncreative and incompetent and the salary cap has them completely frozen.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:53 AM
jadeddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
I can't even think of the last time there was a significant multi-player deal. NHL GM's are uncreative and incompetent and the salary cap has them completely frozen.
do not read posts? the nash deal had 7 players in it this past summer

Old
03-15-2013, 01:02 AM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
do not read posts? the nash deal had 7 players in it this past summer
Ah, right. Regardless, that trade is an anomaly and it took a long, long time to come to fruition. Lots of stops and starts.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:22 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 73
love how some Canuck fans on the main board are trying to convince people the ALL of Ballard's problem is because of the coach, Ballard is like many D-men who just did not change with the game and with a cap hit of 4.5mill for a guy playing 13 to 15 minutes a night—that is not good

Old
03-15-2013, 01:46 AM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilers4life5 View Post
I wonder if we will sign any of these college free agents bobby Mac is tweeting about. One guy is a 6'6 centre. Yes please or a Dman. Show us again you can sign top notch free agents Tambo or take a chance on someone.

I'd have interest in Kellan Lain for depth/possible 4th line C if we move Belanger
I'd have interest in DeKeyser but he's probably off to Detroit, Andrej Sustr sounds VERY intriguing and I hope we land him, 6 foot 8 d-man!

Old
03-15-2013, 02:29 AM
jmoss45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilbleeder View Post
Rumor had it that we were really interested in Ladaniere from Yale. According to HF he plays a powerforward game.
Where'd you hear we are in on him?

I don't know how to post videos here, but this is worth watching.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9eImhPw5Lo

Last edited by jmoss45: 03-15-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 02:49 AM
Arpeggio

It would be awesome if the Oilers could find a guy coming out of college that is ready to step in on the fourth line or something.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:02 AM
The Nuge
Some Say...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post

I can't remember where, but I definitely heard that as well

Old
03-15-2013, 04:26 AM
Paralyzer008

I have an idea for everyone on the board to try doing, maybe change the course of discussion a little.

Lets freeze the following forwards we have on the roster:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Horcoff-BLANK
BLANK-BLANK-BLANK

Your job is to fill the final four spots using trades/FA/waivers/whatever. You cannot put any of our current roster players into the spots (Jones, Belanger, Smyth, Petrell, Brown, and for the sake of it, VV and Eager). I will allow Hartikainen but he cannot take the 3rd line spot, he's welcome to take a 4th line one though. If you use Anton Lander, he has to be on the 4th line, and you must provide a depth C in your lineup as a "5th" guy.

I'll work on this tomorrow, but I want to see what happens if you vastly improve just the bottom six of the roster, and I want to see some fans put input on this instead of the usual "power forward for Hemsky" type of thing. Not saying that's not needed, but lets focus on this. The guys above in brackets are good people, but they are just not cutting it for this hockey team, Jones maybe barely cuts it but he's a UFA, so I'm leaving him out.

Last edited by Paralyzer008: 03-15-2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old
03-15-2013, 05:03 AM
Ice Whole

Brown is definitely cutting it for this team. He's already becoming a fan favorite and is a player you want on the bottom 6.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:13 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Whole View Post
Brown is definitely cutting it for this team. He's already becoming a fan favorite and is a player you want on the bottom 6.
I have a feeling he is going to have a great game in front of home crowd for the first time.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:12 AM
Paralyzer008

No offense to Mike Brown, but he wasn't a very smart pickup. Oiler fans will love him now because of the fighting and hitting, but he doesn't contribute too much to a win really. Despite the notion that we needed more toughness, we actually had semi-decent hit totals, so he was basically brought in to fight. We used a semi-high draft pick to fix a mistake that we made when we signed Hordichuk to be the tough guy in the offseason. There are also definitely more effective guys for putting on the 4th line that are available, who have higher scoring rates and can actually play PK (Brown and Petrell...yikes). Funny actually, Brown's scoring rate for goals per game is around half of Ben Eager's even.

He's a guy who will satisfy the fans right now who like the fighting, but ideally he's the 13th forward. He can't be in the top twelve every night.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
No offense to Mike Brown, but he wasn't a very smart pickup. Oiler fans will love him now because of the fighting and hitting, but he doesn't contribute too much to a win really. Despite the notion that we needed more toughness, we actually had semi-decent hit totals, so he was basically brought in to fight. We used a semi-high draft pick to fix a mistake that we made when we signed Hordichuk to be the tough guy in the offseason. There are also definitely more effective guys for putting on the 4th line that are available, who have higher scoring rates and can actually play PK (Brown and Petrell...yikes). Funny actually, Brown's scoring rate for goals per game is around half of Ben Eager's even.

He's a guy who will satisfy the fans right now who like the fighting, but ideally he's the 13th forward. He can't be in the top twelve every night.
Despite Brown's deficiencies as an offensive producer, he brings what very few guys on this team do, the same game every night. He is a competitor, he continually goes out an affects a game the same way, he competes, understands his role on the team.

The Oilers have had too many guys who don't accept the role they are being asked to play.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Oilers' 14/15 Season

Quote:
The Nash deal, as mentioned, either way two of the guys are UFAs at the end of the year, so it's pretty easy to walk away from them, and the deal looks smaller.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:39 AM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I can't remember where, but I definitely heard that as well
This is a serious thread, so you better back up your stuff, if not? , you are smoked man !

Old
03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Soli
Supervision Required

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmoss45 View Post

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...-be-nhl-bound/

There was also a Canuck poster a while ago that mentioned we were hot to trot for Laganiere.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:43 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:

IMO, this is exactly what we should be doing with mid round pics. We draft skill in the first round, defence in the 2nd, fill holes or long shots with everything else.

The reality is that the vast majority of 3rd round pics will never contribute as much as Brown doing right now. The majority of 3rd round pics will never see one NHL game. The ones that do are usually guys who offer a specific skill like fighting or 3rd line grinder.

Trading away mid picks for guaranteed results is smart asset management.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:51 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Agreed, I also think they misunderstood how weak their defensecorps was before Pronger's injury. You can see how much a player like that can affect a franchise.
That's any team though. It's tough to make a defense that is good enough to absorb the loss of one of the best d-men in the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustrock View Post
There's rumors that Snider pushed Holmgren into the Bryz deal because he didn't want anymore questions about Philly goaltending (basically the post-Hextall era).

Other than the Bryz deal he's done rather well I think. Good draft picks.

He's aggressive and obviously willing to make big trades and offer sheets, unlike 90% of NHL GMs.
That's probably why there were rumors after Ilya was a Flyer for only a couple months that Holmgren could buy him out.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:16 AM
doubledown99

Quote:
I have an idea for everyone on the board to try doing, maybe change the course of discussion a little.

Lets freeze the following forwards we have on the roster:

Hall-RNH-Eberle
Yakupov-Gagner-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Horcoff-BLANK
BLANK-BLANK-BLANK

Your job is to fill the final four spots using trades/FA/waivers/whatever. You cannot put any of our current roster players into the spots (Jones, Belanger, Smyth, Petrell, Brown, and for the sake of it, VV and Eager). I will allow Hartikainen but he cannot take the 3rd line spot, he's welcome to take a 4th line one though. If you use Anton Lander, he has to be on the 4th line, and you must provide a depth C in your lineup as a "5th" guy.

I'll work on this tomorrow, but I want to see what happens if you vastly improve just the bottom six of the roster, and I want to see some fans put input on this instead of the usual "power forward for Hemsky" type of thing. Not saying that's not needed, but lets focus on this. The guys above in brackets are good people, but they are just not cutting it for this hockey team, Jones maybe barely cuts it but he's a UFA, so I'm leaving him out.
Paajarvi-Horcoff-Torres
Volpatti-Lapierre-Brown (I like him) but if I have to pick other than King.

If Boyle could be had cheap than I'd take him over Lap.

I would also be mixing up the lineups to get grit on every line:

Torres-Nuge-Ebs
Hall-Horcoff-Hemsky
Paajarvi-Gags-Yak
Volpatti-Lap/Boyle-Brown

Alzner-JS (hope somehow we trade for Alzner)
Smid-Petry
Scuderi-Fistric (Sign Scuds)

Deykeser and JS would be nice to if we can sign him out of college...

Closed Thread