HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 10:25 AM
doulos

vCash: 500
You're looking at something like Eberle for Gardiner, no matter how much time he spent in the AHL this year. Don't see it happening.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:26 AM
Draiskull

vCash: 700
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
I really like how the Oilers have found three decent offensive lines with Horcoff's return. To be honest, the worst of the three in the last two games has been the Ebs-RNH line.

Jones - RNH - Ebs
Hall - Horc - Hemmer
Yakupov - Gagner - MPS
This duo needs to be split up ... How much longer do the coaches have to see these 2 suck 50n5 ??

MPS-Gagner-Yak is good
Get another line going ... Hall-Horcoff-Ebs?? or Hall-RNH-Hemsky?? anything to split the 2 slumping kids up.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
He tweeted the hashtag with absolutely nothing else. What else does that mean? Obviously, Gardiner and the agent is unhappy with still being in the AHL, I don't know how you could not come to that conclusion.
change the and to OR and I 'll agree with the conclusion..
You cant conclude that Gardiner instructed his agent to tweet this.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 2627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
As Oiler fans who would you rather have going forward if you could only have 1.

Gardiner with his concussion history\regression
or
Klefbom with his injuries and lack of NHL exp

I cant see us fitting both into our lineup without losing a grittier player like Smid..
Can have so many sub 200lbs puck movers.
Maybe it's time to worry about the now, not where is Klefbom going to fit going forward.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:30 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
He tweeted the hashtag with absolutely nothing else. What else does that mean? Obviously, Gardiner and the agent is unhappy with still being in the AHL, I don't know how you could not come to that conclusion.
I would be mad if i was Gardiner too. One of the top d-men on the team last year and now he is playing behind the likes of Kotska and Fraser?? Kotska is being very overplayed and is obvious the upgrade Gardiner would provide.

Apparently the reasoning is Gardiner only has 3 more games until he is waiver eligible. Quite ridiculous that teams make that such a huge factor. Just like the oilers were going to send paajarvi down because he doesn't require waivers.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:32 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
This duo needs to be split up ... How much longer do the coaches have to see these 2 suck 50n5 ??

MPS-Gagner-Yak is good
Get another line going ... Hall-Horcoff-Ebs?? or Hall-RNH-Hemsky?? anything to split the 2 slumping kids up.
Hall-Horc-Hemmer is working though, so why risk breaking that line?

You have two lines going you just deal with the slump. Although RNH isn't slumping only Eberle really has looked bad.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
AimsforGenji

Honestly if Whitney can rebound his game enough to be like a 30-35 pt D man, I suppose we don't really need Jake. I'd rather attempt a shot at Clowe to play wing to RNH.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:33 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Maybe it's time to worry about the now, not where is Klefbom going to fit going forward.
Klefbom is as much the 'now' as Gardiner... Both would be fighting for the same spot next season at training camp and play similar game <lack of grit>...

The poster claiming it would take Eberle is overvaluing Gardiner by a lot but it would still cost a very good asset to acquire someone who may not fit into our plans going forward.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:34 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
I would be mad if i was Gardiner too. One of the top d-men on the team last year and now he is playing behind the likes of Kotska and Fraser?? Kotska is being very overplayed and is obvious the upgrade Gardiner would provide.

Apparently the reasoning is Gardiner only has 3 more games until he is waiver eligible. Quite ridiculous that teams make that such a huge factor. Just like the oilers were going to send paajarvi down because he doesn't require waivers.
I understand the waiver issue, we've dealt with it as well, but when you have someone like Gardiner in the AHL performing well at some point you have to bring him up or risk him getting pissed off.

Not sure I'd want to **** off a guy that was a solid top 4 for me last year with potential at being a top pairing guy.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
That freeGardiner hashtag was created by Leaffans and has been in use for a while... The agent just referred to it and it does not mean Gardiner wants out..
Still doesn't look good that the agent is using it in a public manner.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Klefbom is as much the 'now' as Gardiner... Both would be fighting for the same spot next season at training camp and play similar game <lack of grit>...

The poster claiming it would take Eberle is overvaluing Gardiner by a lot but it would still cost a very good asset to acquire someone who may not fit into our plans going forward.
So Klefbom is fighting for a top 4 spot next year? Ya, that's exactly what this team needs.

Guy hasn't played one pro game in North America, but is hyped as much as the great David Runblad.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:38 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowDangles View Post
Now that we are scoring 5on5 I don't see getting a big top 6 physical player as our number one need. Sure it is still a need but I think they need a defence man more.

Whitney has been playing lights out offensively lately, 5 points in his last 7 including 3 goals. I really hope they do not trade him for picks... He is not going to get you a first round pick and like Gregor says all the time, the chances of anything after the first round of making the NHL is like 15%...
Just because we've found some success 5 on 5 during this road trip I wouldn't say all is solved.

As for the bolded, Moore has netted a 2nd rounded a few times in recent history at the trade deadline. D-men always seem to be worth more and if Whitney can keep playing like this I don't think a late 1st rounder is out of the question.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:40 AM
McCupofOil
Save Us McJesus

Quote:

Klefbom and Gardiner play nothing alike.
Klefbom at this point is mainly a defensive defenseman who is a smooth skater and who uses solid positioning and his big frame to separate the opposition from the puck. He seems to have some untapped offensive potential but his defense is his calling card. He seems to have a similar style to Smid except that he has more offensive potential IMO.

Gardiner is more in the Justin Schultz mode. He's a dynamic puckmoving defenseman who is an outstanding skater and needs to work on his defense.
The two are nothing alike.

If you get a chance to acquire Gardiner, you do it regardless of needs, available spots etc.
Chances are that Klefbom will play on the farm for at least part of next season and Whitney will be gone in all likelihood so i don't see how there won't be a spot open for a talent like Gardiner.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Hall-Horc-Hemmer is working though, so why risk breaking that line?

You have two lines going you just deal with the slump. Although RNH isn't slumping only Eberle really has looked bad.
at ES he is... 1ES pt and -5 in last 10 games.. 3ES pts and a -8 in last 20.
But yeh.. treating Jones-RNH-Ebs like the 3rd line and letting them play out of the funk would also work if we keep winning.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
at ES he is... 1ES pt and -5 in last 10 games.. 3ES pts and a -8 in last 20.
But yeh.. treating Jones-RNH-Ebs like the 3rd line and letting them play out of the funk would also work if we keep winning.
On the stat sheet sure, but he is making some real good offensive plays that just aren't making the back of the net. Not like he's in a slump where he looks god awful with the puck.

With Horc back and two good lines clicking, I let RNH-Ebs work there crap out. Maybe you change some wingers game to game to see if you can get a better fit.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:45 AM
Mr Sakich

If khabi is ready to go, he might be the best available goaltender for the Leafs. Nobody in the East is going to help them out with their biggest need. Not a lot of teams in the West looking to trade a goaltender.

Gardiner is worth a lot more than Khabi but it might force the leafs to deal with Tambo

Gardiner for Khabi + one of Pitlik / Reider / Lander / Teemu /Marincin?

Old
03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
Draiskull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Sakich View Post
If khabi is ready to go, he might be the best available goaltender for the Leafs. Nobody in the East is going to help them out with their biggest need. Not a lot of teams in the West looking to trade a goaltender.

Gardiner is worth a lot more than Khabi but it might force the leafs to deal with Tambo

If you were TOR .. would you trade Gardiner for an old injury prone pending UFA goalie who lost starting role to Dubnyk??

TOR can fetch Luongo if they package up Gardiner with a another asset

Old
03-13-2013, 10:49 AM
stoff

Quote:
So Klefbom is fighting for a top 4 spot next year? Ya, that's exactly what this team needs.

Guy hasn't played one pro game in North America, but is hyped as much as the great David Runblad.
Agreed. Shouldn't be in the lineup til 2014/2015 season at earliest.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:50 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

I wouldn't do it if I were Toronto.

They should be able to get a younger roster player. They got JVR for Schenn, so I'm sure that's what they shoot for at this point.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Bobblehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
I heard he would of had to pass through waivers if Oilers signed him, so same rules should apply here right.
I think the statement inthe article was meant to be, if the Oilers were to sign him and want to keep him in OKC, he would be subject to waivers. If they were to sign him and bring him to Edmonton, there would be no waivers (just like Minny).

Old
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
Mr Sakich

Quote:
If you were TOR .. would you trade Gardiner for an old injury prone pending UFA goalie who lost starting role to Dubnyk??

TOR can fetch Luongo if they package up Gardiner with a another asset
Luongo has negative trade value with the new cba. His contract is a time bomb for any team trading for him, that is why he hasn't been moved.

Goaltending is the biggest issue for the Leafs right now. If they don't address this, they probably don't make the playoffs. They are a pretty good team with bad goaltending.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:56 AM
BowDangles

There is no way Khabbi is going to fetch you Gardiner.. Khabbi would have to be a addition to a package, not the main piece..

I honestly would have no idea what Gardiner's value is right now. You would think he would be of tremendous value after what he did last year..

I would think it would cost something around MPS in his current hot streak.

As an Oiler fan I would be hesitant to make that deal..

Old
03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Luongo has negative trade value with the new cba. His contract is a time bomb for any team trading for him, that is why he hasn't been moved.

Goaltending is the biggest issue for the Leafs right now. If they don't address this, they probably don't make the playoffs. They are a pretty good team with bad goaltending.
How is Bulin the answer though? He has proven time and time again that he can't handle being a starter. He's a good pickup for depth for a playoff run, but he's getting you a mid-level pick not a young d-man with loads of potential.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Mr Sakich

my idea was Khabi plus a legit prospect for a legit prospect. In my original post, I said that Gardiner's value is much higher than Khabi but it starts the conversation.

A 22 year old dman coming off a serious concussion and playing in the AHL is not an elite level prospect. Gardiner is a good prospect and it will take a good prospect + Khabi to be fair value.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
joestevens29

Anyone think this whole you don't make the playoffs you have a shot at the 1st overall makes for even less trades involving 1st rounders going forward?

Closed Thread