HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Am I on crack for thinking...

Closed Thread

Old
10-02-2003, 12:05 AM
TubbyTerrion*

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TubbyTerrion*
Am I on crack for thinking...

...that the concept of Dave Taylor adding a guy like Chris Therien, at 2.6M, via the waiver draft is one of the most absurd things I have ever heard?

Where do I begin (to poke holes in this one)

* Visnovsky (850k)
* Modry (900k)

So, we have Norstrom, Miller, Visnovsky, Modry, and, because he is a PP guy, Corvo ALL getting more minutes that Therien on the depth chart, and we are gonna upset the apple cart and pay him 3x more than our #3 and #4 guys??? Doubtful.

The guy makes almost what Cechmanek makes. Do you think RC is going to say to DT, "this is a GREAT move, go for it?" I'm not sure, but I think not.

I think Therien, on paper, is a good addition to a team's blueline, when they are looking for a veteran presence with size. But, is he a soft 6'5, 235 or is he a bone-crushing defenseman who will end up getting top 4 minutes with this team?

I am all for players like Gleason and Grebeshkov going to Manchester to hone their skills for a while, but at what cost? Pay 2.6M for a #6 guy who will not see the light of day on special teams? Nah.... not for me.

Thoughts?

Old
10-02-2003, 12:17 AM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
if Todd Simpson is still around he would be a better pickup .. I think he makes around 1.5 million (not positive)

Old
10-02-2003, 12:27 AM
Hordichuk_24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakian#13
if Todd Simpson is still around he would be a better pickup .. I think he makes around 1.5 million (not positive)
Yeah that is what Simpson makes.

Old
10-02-2003, 12:32 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Yeah Simpson would probably be my choice as well. With Norton more than likely out for the season, it would be nice to have a Dman who would drop the gloves. Yes, I know AM doesn't like his D to fight, but I have always thought that having that threat taking a regular shift(ala McSorely) was much more of a deterrent than having an "attack dog" who sits on the bench all game

Old
10-02-2003, 12:37 AM
Hordichuk_24

“They are willing to take the risk that I'll be lost. That hurts your pride, it hurts that you're not wanted,'' Simpson said. “They're telling me they want me and they don't think I'll get picked up. But the bottom line is 18 other guys got protected and I didn't. It's a bit of a slap in the face.''

A quote from Simpson in the paper. He is pretty much done with Phoenix. Even if he doesn't get taken in the draft he will never get along or trust Phoenix management again. So he might as well be taken...

Old
10-02-2003, 12:44 AM
Malakian#13

Send a message via Yahoo to Malakian#13
do we pick 13th like the entry draft?

Old
10-02-2003, 05:14 AM
Face Wash

For all the Kings fans wanting the Kings to take Simpson... They can't in the first round of the draft because he's in their division. So he'd have to fall to the second round... not saying he would or he wouldn't, but between that and the $1.5 mil he makes, I don't think it's likely the Kings would select him and have to unprotect someone...

I think you'll see the Kings stand pat because Bryan Muir (who is protected) is no worse than the guys on the list that the Kings could afford. I mean, maybe Simpson's a bit more reliable, but he makes about $1 mil more... and on this team, that means everything at this point.

I'm worried the Kings might lose Hnilicka, who at $250k (after the reworked contract) is a complete bargain.

and yes, the Kings get the 13th selection if they want it.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:39 AM
Frolov 6'3
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hordichuk_24
“They are willing to take the risk that I'll be lost. That hurts your pride, it hurts that you're not wanted,'' Simpson said. “They're telling me they want me and they don't think I'll get picked up. But the bottom line is 18 other guys got protected and I didn't. It's a bit of a slap in the face.''
I can imagine it and if a team wants to buy out a contract from a player is even worse.

Old
10-02-2003, 05:52 AM
Brodeur

At this rate, I think the Kings would have to work a side deal to get Simpson. Atlanta picked Robidas last year, immediately traded him to Dallas for a 6th. Columbus picked Mathieu Biron for Florida in order to get around the 'picking from your own division' clause in the first round. Florida then picked Petr Tenkrat and swapped him for Biron.

If I were DT, I'd give Carolina or Pittsburgh a call and see what they'd want in exchange for selecting Simpson on our behalf. I'd probably dangle no more than a 4th rounder, but Carolina (decent defense corps) and Pittsburgh (no money) might view a 4th as being better than whatever they would pick...or if they would have bypassed their selection anyways.

As for Therien, his contract is done after this year, so if DT thinks he'll be a decent short term defenseman, I think he'd go for it. I think plenty of teams have situations where a veteran #5/6 defenseman makes a lot more than a younger #3/4 defenseman. Plus it's always nice to have a little depth in case of injury. But I agree 2.6 is a bit much for what Therien brings to the table.

Old
10-02-2003, 06:12 AM
IGM

I think that the whole rule that says that you can't draft from your own division is truly silly. I mean, its obvious that the teams have found THE loop hole to get around it. Why continue the sham Betteman? If you insist on this rule then why not make it also a rule that any player taken during the waiver draft HAS to remain with that team for the entire season that they are chosen. (that teams property).

I would rather see DT work some magic around Simpson that I would Threrien. I bet that the fleas would be willing to make a sweet deal after the waiver where they might pick up a little bit of his salary.

I mean, imagine what would happen if we actually do get this guy and then have to pay his whole contract. I know that if I am Millsey that I am going to want allot more money if a player like Therien is getting that much.

Please DT, either work a deal that gets his contract into the 900k to 1.25 mill range or just say no.

Closed Thread