HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Edm/bos

Old
03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
smack66

vCash: 500
Edm/bos

Draft Day trade proposal

Boston Lucic for Edm Schultz

I'm not sure if this proposal has been put forward but Edm need some toughness and Lucic more then brings that. Schultz gives the Bruins another stud defenceman and gives Bruins some salary cap relief.

Last edited by smack66: 03-12-2013 at 01:48 PM.
smack66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:46 PM
Beer League King

Edmonton wouldn't part with their best defenseman.

Beer League King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
Bill Ladd
Hockey's Future Staff

No thanks.

Schultz is terrific, all of the Oilers young players are terrific, but there isn't anyone in Edmonton that I would give Lucic up for (even though they are all better offensive players).

IMO, Lucic is a rare player worth much more than his point totals, and considering the B's wouldn't even consider a Lucic for Nash swap, I think they'd probably agree.

03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer League King View Post
Nick Schultz is there best defenseman?

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Beer League King

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
Nick Schultz is there best defenseman?
Obviously OP is talking about Justin.

Beer League King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
TheBigFive

Lucic is great, but trading schultz will put the oilers defence a step back, and they cannot afford to do that considering how the defence isn't that great to begin with

TheBigFive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:01 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by smack66 View Post
Draft Day trade proposal

Boston Lucic for Edm Schultz

I'm not sure if this proposal has been put forward but Edm need some toughness and Lucic more then brings that. Schultz gives the Bruins another stud defenceman and gives Bruins some salary cap relief.
cant see either team thinking that this is a good idea. schultz probably will be a fairly successful offensive dman at the NHL level and he probably will be adequet defensively too, but right now he is a guy hitting a wall after a very impressive half season at the ahl level. Theres been many dmen over the years that have been able to look really good for 1/2 a year without ever developing into dependable stud dman later in their careers.

If Boston had a glarying need for a young dman and was in the middle of a rebuild then maybe they like this deal better? They already got a young dman every bit as good or better though and no team wins with too many young dmen in the lineup in top 4 positions.

Boston is in a win-now mold and needs an experienced dman if they need any dman at all.

As for Edmonton... Lucic isnt really a HW goon and on a 'team that is tough' he doesnt have to be. Boston has many guys that they dress everynight willing to dance. Lucic would become pretty useless if he was being forced to fight the other team's meathead every single night. Lucic doesnt have the speed to keep up with a line that flies north to south. He is very good at playing Boston's dump and chase and crash the net style. I dont think he would look nearly as impressive if he was trying to keep up with Hopkins/Eberle or Hall.

Edmonton should focus on adding a couple 'more reasonable' options that can begin to address 'team toughness'

They need to do this by subtracting a couple names that reduce 'team toughness'

Moving a Hemsky type for a Stafford or Stewart type doesnt immediately fix the problem but it is a step in the right direction. Throwing UFA money at a guy like Clowe or Horton doesnt fix the problem either but its another step in the right direction. Replacing Eager with a guy that is actually willing to drop his gloves to keep his job would then begin to matter more.

A HW by himself is meaningless but a HW that supports bigger aggressive players like Stewart/Horton begins to have some value for a team.

Its too early in Edmonton's development as a team to think that a guy like Lucic would be the answer to their problem. One single player cant turn this mess around. It will take at least 3 and probably 4 or 5 changes before team toughness is addressed {Brown and Fitstric were steps in the right direction though}

Alberta_OReilly_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:04 PM
PepeBostones

Lol

Justin Schultz is an offensive talented defensemen which you can find on almost every team. I'd like to see more of him before I talk traded along the lines of one the leagues most valuable player in Milan Lucic. At least noone comes close to what Milan Lucic means to Boston. Even if you offered Schultz and Taylor Hall I'd turn it down and believe Pete Chiarelli would say no too. We have no need for a one dimensional defenseman and an injury prone winger. We allready have plenty of that in the organization. Maybe in two years Schultz and Hall will prove me wrong but I would not do it now. No chance

PepeBostones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Ladd View Post
No thanks.

Schultz is terrific, all of the Oilers young players are terrific, but there isn't anyone in Edmonton that I would give Lucic up for (even though they are all better offensive players).

IMO, Lucic is a rare player worth much more than his point totals, and considering the B's wouldn't even consider a Lucic for Nash swap, I think they'd probably agree.
Im with you on this Bill... given Boston's team culture and the reality that they are in a win-now mold and also given that Lucic is signed and happy... there just is almost no one in the NHL that it would make sense to deal him 1-for-1. Obviously theres a few guys like Crosby and Stamkos that you do it for but Lucic scores 30 goals in 17 mins of icetime and is an intimidating physical presence that causes opposition to change their game plan. When healthy he can step up his physical play and almost win a playoff round single handed.

The Oiler kids might develop into better then 30 goal scorers but will they also be better defensively? Certainly none will ever have Lucic's physical game. Boston would have a hard time selling a Lucic for any Oiler player 1-for-1 as a smart move right now.

If Boston was in a rebuild Id maybe take 4 of the kids over Lucic 1-for-1 to build around. The Oiler kids look great to build around. They dont look as good to win now with though.

So if I was king of the Bruins... I wouldnt be dealing Lucic straight up for any Oiler. Sorry.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
Alberta_OReilly_Fan
Bruin fan since 1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
Justin Schultz is an offensive talented defensemen which you can find on almost every team. I'd like to see more of him before I talk traded along the lines of one the leagues most valuable player in Milan Lucic. At least noone comes close to what Milan Lucic means to Boston. Even if you offered Schultz and Taylor Hall I'd turn it down and believe Pete Chiarelli would say no too. We have no need for a one dimensional defenseman and an injury prone winger. We allready have plenty of that in the organization. Maybe in two years Schultz and Hall will prove me wrong but I would not do it now. No chance
i think for Hall and Scultz you have to do this deal. Hall is a legit first overall... as good or better than Seguin.

Lucic is going to top out as a 30 goal guy and he breaks down due to his playing style. two years in a roll, he has been kind of injured for us in our playoff run.

I love lucic but if I was offered both hall and schultz it wouldnt take me even 5 seconds to think before I said yes to the deal.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:22 PM
nmbr_24

No thanks from the Bruins, Lucic is one of the players the team is built around.

I also am not sure the Oilers would want to trade any of their young player at this point.

It looks to me like a deal that neither team would actually offer up.

nmbr_24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:42 PM
Oates2Neely

Dougie Hamilton kinda sorta has taken the 'PMD' position by the horns. He's young, and green, but he looks like a gem. Gives me chills thinking about what his game will look like in 3 or 4 years.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:02 PM
Dellstrom
The new age

vCash: 50
Uhhh, no.

Dellstrom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
Defensemen who don't play defense are always a disaster under Julien.

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:17 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
We need Schultz more than Lucic.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Joey Moss

vCash: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
Defensemen who don't play defense are always a disaster under Julien.
Good thing that's not the case with Justin Schultz then.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:24 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Edmonton needs to get bigger for sure but trading from a position of weakness on your team to fill another hole doesn't really help matters. You guys will need to look at moving one of your fancy forwards to address that. If you want a Lucic esq piece added up front.

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Mr Tarkanian
Ali Bomaye!

vCash: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeBostones View Post
So much wrong in this post it's not even funny

Mr Tarkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:26 PM
Fourier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_OReilly_Fan View Post
cant see either team thinking that this is a good idea. schultz probably will be a fairly successful offensive dman at the NHL level and he probably will be adequet defensively too, but right now he is a guy hitting a wall after a very impressive half season at the ahl level. Theres been many dmen over the years that have been able to look really good for 1/2 a year without ever developing into dependable stud dman later in their careers.
Of course it is too early to say how good Schultz will be but I think you are significantly underselling what he has done so far.

He is still 11 points ahead of any defenseman in AHL scoring and he has played 26 games less than the #2 guy. It is highly unlikely that he does not end the season as the AHL's top scoring defenseman.

Tyler Toffoli who was a proflific junior scorer just tied Schultz for the AHL rookie scoring lead. Toffoil has played 21 more games.

And while it is true that he has shown signs of fatigue in the last little while. (He has played 59 game this year). He has 15 points in 25 games on a team that does not score very much. These numbers are comparable with the best rookie defensmen over the last decade. So when you say he will probably be a successful offensive defenseman you're not really going too far out on a ledge with that comment.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:10 PM
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't think Boston does it, but I give the OP credit.

This is probably the first Lucic deal that has made me pause and think about it

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:13 PM
8BostonRocker24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer League King View Post
Hahaha. This is awesome.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:53 PM
Oates2Neely

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post
I don't think Boston does it, but I give the OP credit.

This is probably the first Lucic deal that has made me pause and think about it
Really??? Lucic for Schultz?? What a joke

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Confound
-Vindicated-

No way....

Confound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Tim Vezina Thomas
Dougie Time

That would be like trading Taylor Hall for Dougie Hamilton. No chance the Oilers would do that, and they shouldnt.

Lucic has proven to be a premier PF in this league and an icon in Boston. He won't be going anywhere for a long time.

I really really like Schultz though, hes a stud.

Tim Vezina Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:10 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Vezina Thomas View Post
That would be like trading Taylor Hall for Dougie Hamilton. No chance the Oilers would do that, and they shouldnt.

Lucic has proven to be a premier PF in this league and an icon in Boston. He won't be going anywhere for a long time.

I really really like Schultz though, hes a stud.
This is probably the most logical summary. The proposal has nothing to do with player value, we are talking face of the franchise. Does Boston have better forwards than Lucic? I would say Bergeron for sure, Seguin possibly, Krejci maybe, but when you think big bad Bruins, you think Chara and Lucic.

Just as TVT points out, in pure trade value, a Hamilton for Hall swap merits debate, but there is zero chance I would consider it as Hall represents a changing of the guard for us and is the face of the franchise. Yet, I wouldn't say he's the best forward (those honours go to RNH, regardless of his offensive struggles this year).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote