HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

I can't believe (Timonen)

Old
03-06-2013, 12:11 AM
Breeze 44

vCash: 500
I can't believe (Timonen)

we gave Kimmo an extension, and for 6 friggin million dollars!! I know we could have spent that money better. he looks weak and confused out there more and more, I just can't watch it anymore.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 03-06-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:16 AM
Victory5

I cant believe how negative this board is right now.

I mean, yeah we've sucked for the majority of this year, but I dont understand why people want to tank and just aim for a high draft pick. Lets be realistic, this IS a playoff caliber team, they're just not playing like (with the exception of a few games). While we are half way through the season, there is still time to turn this thing around. Its not like we're in last place, we're literally a point out of the playoffs.

I think we just have to be realistic with ourselves, this team, most likely will not win the division, and will not get a high seed going into the playoffs, but this team should certainly at least MAKE the playoffs.

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:23 AM
Breeze 44

I'm just talking about Kimmo and the future. No need to give him that kind of money, he's not a top d-man any longer.

Breeze 44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:00 AM
Philadelphia Ducks
#BringBackBob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory5 View Post

I mean, yeah we've sucked for the majority of this year, but I dont understand why people want to tank and just aim for a high draft pick. Lets be realistic, this IS a playoff caliber team, they're just not playing like (with the exception of a few games). While we are half way through the season, there is still time to turn this thing around. Its not like we're in last place, we're literally a point out of the playoffs.

I think we just have to be realistic with ourselves, this team, most likely will not win the division, and will not get a high seed going into the playoffs, but this team should certainly at least MAKE the playoffs.
We have to go 16-8 to hit 55 points. This team has shown no capability that they can go on that type of run, We've been .500 once this season and it lasted one game. I really don't see how this team can make it to the playoffs.

Philadelphia Ducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:02 AM
YuioIklo

Quote:

We played 2-3 more games than other teams, we're more like 1 point ahead the last place actually. I do think that this team is a playoff caliber team, if we make them, we can compete, but I highly doubt that we will. Many factors have destroyed us, lack of chemistry at the beginning, many injuries (and now Grossmann being hurt won't help), bad luck at times, etc. We're not a bad team, but we have a good chance at missing the playoffs. If it was a longer season, we'd definitely make them, though.

Also, the Seth Jones hype is obviously a factor that makes many ppl want to tank. We have to keep trying winning for the next 5-6 games, but if we don't win at least 4 of them, we're done.

YuioIklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:19 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

He's top 10 in points for defensemen, and he hasn't been THAT bad defensively. He hasn't been as good as usual, but he's certainly not a trainwreck.

He's been taking too many penalties, though, and has struggled on the PK.

03-06-2013, 01:20 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
We have to go 16-8 to hit 55 points. This team has shown no capability that they can go on that type of run, We've been .500 once this season and it lasted one game. I really don't see how this team can make it to the playoffs.
24 games in and this team has yet to win 3 straight games. 11 wins in 24 games. The only reason they are so close to a PO spot is games played and the failure of teams around us who keep losing. NJ,Winnieg,TB.
I still think to get in they are going to need some help.They have yet to put any stretch beyond 2 games where they get the goaltending and good team play. Most nights one or the other has been subpar.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:24 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Kimmo was gold but through time has been reduced to silver.

Hes a vital part of our D. A true warrior despite lacking speed.

Like Grossman, if Kimmo goes down the effects would be felt immediately.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:24 AM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
He's top 10 in points for defensemen, and he hasn't been THAT bad defensively. He hasn't been as good as usual, but he's certainly not a trainwreck.

He's been taking too many penalties, though, and has struggled on the PK.
i thinks he's been as bad as I've ever seen him. That said, we just didn't have any other options, his 1yr deal isn't going to harm the team, and he's great on the pp.

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:53 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

While I may agree that Timonen may be overpaid for next season, I will say that the market has been dwindling on who will be available in July to replace him. They basically had to sign him or risk trying to find a top pairing dman in FA or via trade. The last of which would probably cost in assets that we dont have or arent willing to pay.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:11 AM
flyersfan187

Send a message via AIM to flyersfan187 Send a message via Skype™ to flyersfan187
The games all bunched together, the system Lavy runs where the D's are very active and his age. He is bound to have a few bad games this season and he is also worth it for next season.

flyersfan187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 03:54 AM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

This season is by far the worst Timmo has looked in his Flyers career. Still, the entire team has looked bad at times so at least he is fitting in. I hope they miss the playoffs and get some top 10 draft talent brought in. Getting in as the 7th or 8th seed means nothing because they honestly dont look very good. Neither does Bryz. PP and Pk is improving alot though so you wonder why they cannot play 5 on 5.

jabba2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 04:24 AM
Qyburn

Quote:
Yeah it's almost downright disturbing. Some of the comments (especially kneejerk reactions to minor events in GDTs) you just have to shake your head and ignore.

Anyway, just to keep it level:
Quote:
Originally Posted by YuioIklo View Post
We played 2-3 more games than other teams
You're off by a game. It's actually 1-2. The average GP in the conference is 22.5333.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
The only reason they are so close to a PO spot is games played...
true...
Quote:
...and the failure of teams around us who keep losing. NJ,Winnieg,TB.
Now that doesn't make any sense, statistically. Someone always has to lose. If it wasn't those teams it would be some other teams.

As for Kimmo's contract, the biggest factor (as others have stated) was options, or rather lack thereof. There are plenty of teams who would pay that for a guy who can score in the top 10 in the league. If you say "well take him then, he's worth a few million less", you're not figuring in those aforementioned lack of options.

Qyburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:22 AM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Do shoot out losses not count as a loss? Because 11-11-1 isn't .500 IMO. We won 11 games and lost 12. Now 13

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:45 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

I'm ok with the extension, but it should have been for much less. $5m would have been better, but $4.5m would have made more sense

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:46 AM
blinds

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
Do shoot out losses not count as a loss? Because 11-11-1 isn't .500 IMO. We won 11 games and lost 12. Now 13
Talking about points. 50% of possible points.

On topic, I think 6mil was way too much, and that they should have waited a little to resign, but like people have said we have very limited options and I'd like to keep Kimmo around for at least another year.

blinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:16 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Kimmo is still the best defenseman on this team. He's gone from great down to very good (and important as hell in all aspects of game situations he is relied on). He's still the man.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
StoneHands

vCash: 2425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breeze 44 View Post
we gave Kimmo an extension, and for 6 friggin million dollars!! I know we could have spent that money better. he looks weak and confused out there more and more, I just can't watch it anymore.
They needed a one year signing to fill in the D next year with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, Read, and Meszaros all coming off the books after next season.

Who would you have signed to play D next year because if you don't sign someone? This is who you would be playing every night in a best case scenario with no injuries.

Coburn - Schenn
Grossmann - Meszaros(can't stay healthy)
Gustafsson - Gervais

If you're going to start a thread questioning a signing, don't respond saying you don't know who's available or that you dont know who you would sign instead. There really isnt anyone available next season and they knew they could sign him for one season which they arent going to have cap problems anyway.

I'm hoping they worked out a verbal deal and told him they would give him $6m next season if he would agree to sign a deal for the year after at $2m or so if they decide to keep him to keep the cap hit really low that season. That would give them a cheap 2nd pairing option in a season where they need to resign a lot of young players and only have Coburn, Schenn, and Grossmann signed on D.

Last edited by StoneHands: 03-06-2013 at 08:22 AM.
StoneHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:58 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

They didn't have a choice. Had the Flyers not signed Timonen, the best defenseman on the UFA market was Timonen himself. Might have been different if Holmgren could have sign any of the umpteen defensemen he's targetted last summer, but he didn't.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:13 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

on a related topic of defenseman, Coburn has been absolute garbage the entire season. He's taken over for Carle when it comes to making bonehead plays and looking clueless on the ice. I've never seen a defenseman fail to clear the puck from the zone as much as he does.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:17 AM
RJ8812
Hellooooo ladiiiies

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
They didn't have a choice. Had the Flyers not signed Timonen, the best defenseman on the UFA market was Timonen himself. Might have been different if Holmgren could have sign any of the umpteen defensemen he's targetted last summer, but he didn't.
This is true, but I fail to believe Holmgren couldnt have gotten him signed at a lower cap hit

Holmgren: "Kimmo, we would like to extend you for another season. How much would it take to get it done?"
Timonen: "I would be fine with $5million"
Holmgren: "We'll give you $6million"
Timonen: "But I said...."
Holmgren: "$6million works for us"

Old
03-06-2013, 11:32 AM
Victory5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philadelphia Ducks View Post
No offense, but what the hell are you talking about?? 55 points? That equates to over 100 points in a regular 82 game season.

Ive seen this multiple times on this board, that we have to go 16-8 just to make it. No..we really only have to hvae a winning record in the next 24 games. That would guarantee us around 47 points.

Lets look at the 1994-95 season when teams played only 48 games

In the east it took 47 points to make the playoffs, in the west, it took 42.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_NHL_season
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

We have 23 now, if we win 12 more games, thats 47 points, thats a playoff spot, end of story.

Victory5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

The defense as a whole kinda has struggled in the past game or so. Timonen has looked slower, Coburn has been pretty bad (and cant blame it on Gervias now), Schenn has come back to earth alittle where now he is hesitating ALOT when he has the puck in his own end, Grossmann while he plays defense turns it over all the damn time and Gervias/Gustafsson are 5/6 guys and shouldnt be counted on alot. Gervias looks worse the more minutes he gets and personally Gustafsson didnt look too good last night whiffing on a few slapshots.

All together it really isnt the BEST defense around. About average.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:44 AM
FlyersFan61290

I only got to catch bits and pieces of yesterday's game on my phone as I was at work (game center app) and I was wondering why kimmo played about as much as Gus in such a big game (both over 22 min). Was he that bad or was Gus playing well? I know Grossmann was injured so some players were relied on a little more then usual but kimmo really wasn't.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:54 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
No offense, but what the hell are you talking about?? 55 points? That equates to over 100 points in a regular 82 game season.

Ive seen this multiple times on this board, that we have to go 16-8 just to make it. No..we really only have to hvae a winning record in the next 24 games. That would guarantee us around 47 points.

Lets look at the 1994-95 season when teams played only 48 games

In the east it took 47 points to make the playoffs, in the west, it took 42.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994–95_NHL_season
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...d=nav-stn-conf

We have 23 now, if we win 12 more games, thats 47 points, thats a playoff spot, end of story.
The team has a lot of problems that will get exposed in the playoffs. They wont have the "flip the switch" bull that people said a few years ago. Say the team doesnt change how they are playing, go .500 the rest of the way while playing ****** hockey and somehow make the playoffs, do you have confidence they will do "damage"?

This is based off of you hoping that they "realize" how to play after 42 games and decide to play better in playoffs. In the end though, if we do miss playoffs and grab a decent pick, we can restock alittle and maybe make a run in a year or so. Our defense is average at best while our goaltending is really inconsistent. Our offense is still young and has potential but when you are playing guys like Talbot in the top 9, and have rookies with slumps (Couturier) its hard to get consistent offense.

One good thing coming out of all of this is Jake Voracek. He is seriously playing on another level, almost Giroux like from last season. If and this is a big IF, this is the REAL Voracek, we might have a really good player on our hands.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote