HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

[OTT/MIN] Senators trade a 6th round pick in 2014 for Matt Kassian.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:02 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

vCash: 500
I wonder what the asking price for a guy like Chris Thorburn would have been. I've always found him to be a pretty useful and tough player. From what I've seen though, Kassian can throw some big hits and he has the wheels to do it at the NHL level unlike a Brian Mcgratten.

FolignoQuantumLeap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serbian Power View Post
Knee-jerk reaction to last night's fight by Weicioch?
No.

Bob McKenzie said last week Ottawa was looking to add muscle.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
sensageddon

Maybe this guy can give the rest of the team fighting lessons. A 6th is nothing with the depth of this team.

sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Ron Jeremy

OMG..... really? We traded Mark Stone for Matt Kassian just because Stone was a 6th round pick? We should have traded our 1st for Kassian because we all know that first rounders always turn out to be Jakub Klepis or Matt Chouinard.

Some people are just out of their minds.

Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:09 PM
OD99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manked View Post
He's starting in Ottawa...
Oh, OK.

Well I didn't go look up anything but my point remains. Unless I am totally out to lunch I have a hard time believing that MB and MacLean will suddenly use up a roster spot for a guy like this full time.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:12 PM
MAK19
FreeWierciochBanAndy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixthSens View Post
You make it sound like Wikstrand is an impact player on the Sens right now.
He's putting up OEL numbers and plays an all around game.

He has a good chance of cracking the NHL down the line

MAK19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:15 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Look at some of this scrub's TOI totals in his NHL time last year:

Oct 10 '11 MIN @ NYI - 1:32 TOI
Oct 11 '11 MIN @ OTT - 4:25
Dec 29 '11 EDM @ MIN - 2:12
Dec 31 '11 PHX @ MIN - 6:19
Jan 21 '12 DAL @ MIN - 5:14
Jan 24 '12 MIN @ COL - 4:17
Jan 31 '12 NSH @ MIN - 6:09
Feb 2 '12 MIN @ COL - 3:48
Feb 7 '12 MIN @ CBJ - 4:01
Feb 11 '12 CBJ @ MIN - 3:23
Feb 14 '12 ANA @ MIN - 2:37
Feb 16 '12 WPG @ MIN - 4:10

That's... that's just frigging awful. What a scrub.

BonkTastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
I hate goons so much. **** staged fights.

WasTeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:17 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Ottawa has glorious depth right now, so a 6th round pick is expendable if it helps the team. For me the biggest issue is protecting the young guys in the NHL lineup like DD who want to try and make an impact. Let them know they don't have to fight to prove something.

And honestly, does anyone think that Murray makes this move without consulting with the Stache first?

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:20 PM
starling

I guess Murray didn't claim him because he thought DD and Gryba could kick some ass. That didn't really work out.
Wonder what was the asking price for Konopka.

starling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:24 PM
PatrickEaves
Karan S'Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling View Post
I guess Murray didn't claim him because he thought DD and Gryba could kick some ass. That didn't really work out.
Wonder what was the asking price for Konopka.
Probably higher because at least Zenon can win faceoffs as well as keep the bench warm with his butt.

PatrickEaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckedUpOnQuack View Post
Ottawa has glorious depth right now, so a 6th round pick is expendable if it helps the team. For me the biggest issue is protecting the young guys in the NHL lineup like DD who want to try and make an impact. Let them know they don't have to fight to prove something.

And honestly, does anyone think that Murray makes this move without consulting with the Stache first?
I think most of us (with one loud exception) really don't care about the 6th rounder. In all honesty, 6th rounders can get thrown around like candy for all I care. Like you said, in an organization as deep as ours is, late round picks aren't really a big deal.

My problem is regardless of whether we paid a 6th rounder for him, a 7th rounder, or got him for free: I don't want him in the Sens lineup.

He's going to play 4 extremely sheltered minutes a night, and get into a stage fight every two games. Useless. Absolutely useless.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:26 PM
sensageddon

The sens more than most teams need somebody to stick up for them. Much better than Phillips fighting some of Torontos goons.

sensageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:28 PM
DuckedUpOnQuack

Send a message via MSN to DuckedUpOnQuack
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
My problem is regardless of whether we paid a 6th rounder for him, a 7th rounder, or got him for free: I don't want him in the Sens lineup.

He's going to play 4 extremely sheltered minutes a night, and get into a stage fight every two games. Useless. Absolutely useless.
I think if that's what happens I would agree with you. My assumption is that MacLean will keep him on a very short leash, and let him know we aren't going to be having any staged fights (I agree, useless). My hope is that he gets 5-7 minutes a game, plays physical, and polices the ice. Especially considering the amount of late whacks and pokes at our goalies that have been going on.

But I agree that if his sole job is to take up a spot on the bench, get 4 minutes a game, and get into a staged fight every once in a while, then it will be a waste pick no matter what round.

DuckedUpOnQuack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:30 PM
OD99

Quote:
I think most of us (with one loud exception) really don't care about the 6th rounder. In all honesty, 6th rounders can get thrown around like candy for all I care. Like you said, in an organization as deep as ours is, late round picks aren't really a big deal.

Agreed but do you think he will get many games? I mean Carkner (injuries helped I know) and Konopka didn't get into that many games and they could both contribute other than fighting...I don't think he gets many games.

OD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
The Turret
Jävla grisapa!

Damn.. thought he was more usefull than 3-4 mins a night. I hate staged fights but maybe coach Paulrus can turn him into something usefull!

The Turret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:33 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by OD99 View Post
Agreed but do you think he will get many games? I mean Carkner (injuries helped I know) and Konopka didn't get into that many games and they could both contribute other than fighting...I don't think he gets many games.
I hope not.

I mean, sure, I hope he EARNS himself more games. I'm still a Sens fan, so I'll still be cheering for the Sens. I want all our players to play well, and he's no different: I'd love for this kid to do well, and earn a roster spot: I simply have absolutely no faith in his ability to do so.

Good on him if he all of a sudden finds a skill worth keeping him up here, outside of his fists. Maybe someone can teach him how to play sound positional defensive hockey, the way Colton Orr seems to have figured out late in his career? He's 26, so I'm not holding my breath, but crazier things have happened, I suppose.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
Tundraman
GoneCountry

but how's his skating.....?

Tundraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:36 PM
jbeck5

We really needed this toughness. Instead of DD getting KTFO we'll have kassian standing in there. The other teams heavies will come looking. Now we have an answer.

jbeck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Hale The Villain

vCash: 50
Quote:

He was not brought in to stage fight, he was acquired to pound opposing players who take shots at our star players.

Everyone in Minnesota loves this guy, he can't be as bad as you make him out to be.

Hale The Villain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:37 PM
Iamok
#Panic

We can sign literally any college FA and it would offset the pick, if it means that much to some of you...

As someone said earlier, the deal is too minor for me to really care.

Iamok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:41 PM
senators101

Finally glad that we addressed this and expected this to come at some point. Really missed Carkner so far this year.

Anyway, I'm fine with the price tag. But it sucks giving up a pick for someone we could have had for free.

senators101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
Slow Hands
The feels

vCash: 50
Wish we could have got Konopka back but what can you do. Hopefully this guy beats the **** out of Cooke or Orr or something. I mean damn, if we're going to have to give up a roster spot for this dude, I hope he at least beats someone down.

Slow Hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:42 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hale The Villain View Post
He was not brought in to stage fight, he was acquired to pound opposing players who take shots at our star players.

Everyone in Minnesota loves this guy, he can't be as bad as you make him out to be.
Hey, I'll give this kid the same blank slate, fresh start I give every Sens acquisition. He's got the Sens logo on his chest, so I'll be cheering.

That being said, if he ends up playing 5 minutes a night and only ever fights off of the faceoff circle, I'm going to hate this kid.

As for the "he's not brought in to stage fight", I'm willing to suspend my disbelief at that comment until it's proven right or wrong, but I'm fully expecting 5-to-10 stage fights for every one legit fight. That ratio is probably going to be pretty accurate.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Regardless of what people think about staged fights or fighting in general, it's still a part of the NHL & some coaches like Carlyle use it as momentum booster especially at the beginning of games. You don't have to answer the bell when asked to drop them, you can choose to ignore it as JM wanted. But if you do they will look to hammer your stars & then see if you respond. If you still don't respond, even their softer players will take runs at your players, intimidation is still a big part of this macho game, whether you like or not, appreciate it or not.

Good on Murray to sign Kassian, I'm not sure how tough he is but he seems to be a big guy & hopefully also a good fighter. We have a young team & have to protect our players & this guy will help to keep the other goons in line. Much better to lose Kassian for 5 to 7 minutes than Phillips or Wiercioch for 19 minutes. I wonder why Murray doesn't bring up Jessiman? Let's also not forget that this guy is going to be playing on the 4th line if he replaces anyone it's likely Daugavins who has done very little this yr & will likely not be re-signed.

aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote