HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 AM
Ridley Simon

vCash: 500
2 more pts

Tied for 1st in SE (3rd seed)

Tied for 8th in East (Playoffs!)

Tied for 8th overall in East

Interesting game. Caps freaking dominated it, but barely hung on to win. Effed up, in some ways. Hope the Erat injury isnt too long term, and that the 3rd period doesnt linger to the Tampa game.

A win tomorrow at home in regulation vs Tampa, will put some major screws to them. Not a final nail in their coffin, but a big one.

That said,

Fire George!

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:53 AM
El Gato Bodegero

Quote:
Originally Posted by msrulo View Post
I'm still rooting for the tank. 8 points off last in the east. Tampa also looks better than us at this point. Seth Jones will help by replacing Green. Trade Green for a 1st round pick to florida/calgary and rebuild!
We need good vibes and positive energy; save those comments for youself.

El Gato Bodegero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 02:14 AM
FloridaCap
Fire everybody

vCash: 100
Quote:
I'm still rooting for the tank. 8 points off last in the east. Tampa also looks better than us at this point. Seth Jones will help by replacing Green. Trade Green for a 1st round pick to florida/calgary and rebuild!

So, soooo dumb.

FloridaCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:20 AM
ForzaItalia

Quote:
Tampa also 3-0-1 with new system and coach or something like that. They defeated the canes 5-0.
Who HASN'T beaten the Canes lately? They're 1-10-1 in their last 12 games.

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 07:58 AM
g00n
abides

Don't read too much into that 3rd period. They stopped playing to dominate and were coasting, trying to rest up for tonight vs TB and trying to avoid further injury. Florida didn't give up, though, and were trying to win right to the end.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:09 PM
msrulo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
Who HASN'T beaten the Canes lately? They're 1-10-1 in their last 12 games.

They must be upset now on that Semin deal..

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:22 PM
troyerlaw
Life is party again

Quote:
Tampa also 3-0-1 with new system and coach or something like that
??

Didn't they lose yesterday?

troyerlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 12:29 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
They must be upset now on that Semin deal..
If they're governed by the same school of thought that wanted Ovechkin bought out/KHL'd for half of this year then I'm sure they are.

In reality they're happy they got to sign him before the house of cards collapsed and he had an opportunity to re-evaluate and choose a different destination.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:43 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Redux, as the last thread is at 1000 (or so). For those following at home:

***updated***

So the conventional thought process coming into the season was teams needed 54 points or so to make the playoffs. (92 in 82games, 54 in 48games)

By that logic, Caps would need 12 points in their last 9 games. Do we really see this flawed team doing that?

5-2-2 would get 12pts. Think about that.

This team can only lose 6 or so more points this year in regulation to make the playoffs. If its 55 or 56 points to get there, then that becomes even harder.

Season is over guys.

Fire George
4pt game for Tampa

2pt lead in SE (3rd seed)

6th Overall in East

Ok, interesting game. I am *thrilled* with Ovechkin and Backstrom. They are as good as ever. And that is saying something.

But-- the defense is still bad. Neuvirth bailed the Caps out quite a few times. Hillen was a pylon on the Killorn goal (really really bad on that one), and the bloom is off the Olesky rose. Olesky had a rough game, he was scrambling all over the place. Erskine also looked really slow, and Carlson looked confused. Green/Alzner are a great top pair, but after that?? We miss Hamrlik and Orlov. Caps will not go far with the current D play. They can win a round, maybe 2 if the draws work out well....but a team with offensive depth will hammer them. The defense must play better, end of story.

However----The offense will be deadly once Erat and Laich return, and the team finds some fluidity with their lines.

Chimera looked as good as he has all year. Best game for him in 2013. He and Ward are good together, and just need a strong centerman (Perrault is "ok", but Ribeiro or Laich would be terrific to center that 3rd line once all healthy)

A win is a win, but they have 9 games to get ready for the playoffs, and they need to focus on their defense..which is of course George's fault, as we should have picked up a D-man, not Erat, at the deadline.

That said?

Fire George!!

Old
04-07-2013, 09:51 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
4pt game for Tampa

2pt lead in SE (3rd seed)

6th Overall in East

Ok, interesting game. I am *thrilled* with Ovechkin and Backstrom. They are as good as ever. And that is saying something.

But-- the defense is still bad. Neuvirth bailed the Caps out quite a few times. Hillen was a pylon on the Killorn goal (really really bad on that one), and the bloom is off the Olesky rose. Olesky had a rough game, he was scrambling all over the place. Erskine also looked really slow, and Carlson looked confused. Green/Alzner are a great top pair, but after that?? We miss Hamrlik and Orlov. Caps will not go far with the current D play. They can win a round, maybe 2 if the draws work out well....but a team with offensive depth will hammer them. The defense must play better, end of story.

However----The offense will be deadly once Erat and Laich return, and the team finds some fluidity with their lines.

Chimera looked as good as he has all year. Best game for him in 2013. He and Ward are good together, and just need a strong centerman (Perrault is "ok", but Ribeiro or Laich would be terrific to center that 3rd line once all healthy)

A win is a win, but they have 9 games to get ready for the playoffs, and they need to focus on their defense..which is of course George's fault, as we should have picked up a D-man, not Erat, at the deadline.

That said?

Fire George!!
Yeah that D is horrific.......I hope Orlov is back up soon, but he's definitely not going to solve all their problems, but it would be a start.

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:14 AM
g00n
abides

How does Ovie score 2 goals, tie the league lead, and not get one of the 3 stars? With Vinny "Dirty Pool" Lecavalier as the 3rd star? In DC?

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 06:52 AM
broad

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
How does Ovie score 2 goals, tie the league lead, and not get one of the 3 stars? With Vinny "Dirty Pool" Lecavalier as the 3rd star? In DC?
Aside from the fact that the awards are meaningless, every media organization picks their own three stars for the game. Some also pick them before the game actually ends.

The Tampa feed picked Ovie as the third star before he scored the ENG. I'm guessing whatever media source nhl.com used also picked their stars before the ENG.

broad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:16 AM
BobRouse

Seems to me that the "tanker" crowd is a bit upset these days. They have moved away from "blow the team up/tank for a top pick" to nitpicking imperfections during victories.

News story: There is another team out their filled with world class players that are going to get chances and win some games against us now and then.

The Caps outhitting, out chancing, out skating and out goaltending opponents.

Tough game vs Monty coming up. We need to intimidate their smaller lineup. Prust can't fight everyone and be everywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Yeah that D is horrific.......I hope Orlov is back up soon, but he's definitely not going to solve all their problems, but it would be a start.
Really? I thought they played a gritty game all night. I don't remember any second chance opportinities for the Bolts. One and done.

Did they get behind our D a few times? Sure. But they are the #1 scoring team in the league for a reason and boast 2 of the leagues top 3 scorers do they not?

I thought we pushed the bolts around a bit.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:41 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Did people happen to miss the 3 separate times (at least) there was a 1-on-0 for TB last night?

The defense played horribly. Neuvirth was excellent and bailed out the defense for their gaffes.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:43 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 50
Tampa is a force to be reckoned with. Our young Dmen were running around a little bit. Playing Tampa is actually great practice for the tougher teams we will face. Tampa can put on quite the passing clinic and beating them is not easy for our defense.

But the way our team as constructed, still, we are not going to win games with defense. We are built to win more 4-3 than 3-2. So the defense is going to look ugly at times, but it should not concern you because we have a better offense. If our defense was the better of the 2, we would be hunkering down and you would complaining and bored. The coaches would build ZZZ systems around that.

Be happy we are built for offense. I always give a pass to our dmen if they are giving their all. The other teams get paid too. C'mon. Mike Green is our best defensemen, and he is in the Paul Coffey class of players. Our defense will be shoddy, but we have a goalie and Ovi.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 04-08-2013 at 07:58 AM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:44 AM
garrett s

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Did people happen to miss the 3 separate times (at least) there was a 1-on-0 for TB last night?

The defense played horribly. Neuvirth was excellent and bailed out the defense for their gaffes.
yeah Lecavlier missed at least 2 point blank shots. Neuvirth was amazing for sure.

lol @ the Bolts trying to interfere on that empty netter

feels good to be back on top

garrett s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 07:50 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I'm thrilled about the offense coming from Ovechkin and Backstrom. They're dominant, getting chance after chance, and playing an elite possession game. The rest of the offense needs to step up their possession game, and get more shots through to the net, but overall, they've been fine.

There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it: the defense needs to drastically improve. The two bottom pairings have been pretty awful the last few games--blowing coverages, poor stick position, being unable to clear the puck out of the zone. I maintain that 4 and 38 should switch to change the dynamic a bit and hopefully give that bottom 4 a boost. Erskine's best stretch this year did come when he was playing with Carlson.

And take Carlson off the PK.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:06 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Seems to me that the "tanker" crowd is a bit upset these days. They have moved away from "blow the team up/tank for a top pick" to nitpicking imperfections during victories.

News story: There is another team out their filled with world class players that are going to get chances and win some games against us now and then.

The Caps outhitting, out chancing, out skating and out goaltending opponents.

Tough game vs Monty coming up. We need to intimidate their smaller lineup. Prust can't fight everyone and be everywhere.

Really? I thought they played a gritty game all night. I don't remember any second chance opportinities for the Bolts. One and done.

Did they get behind our D a few times? Sure. But they are the #1 scoring team in the league for a reason and boast 2 of the leagues top 3 scorers do they not?

I thought we pushed the bolts around a bit.
Not from this corner. I am happy the Caps are winning. But to say I am "nitpicking" the defense is stupid. The defense sucked last night. Your Rose coloured glasses prevent you from seeing that, and you are in love with Olesky and Erskine. Both did not look good. And that doesnt even encompass Hillen.

2 of those 3 should not be top 6 every night (Hillen and Olesky), and Erskine should not be top 4. Add in Carlson's nightly brain farts, and the defense is a problem, no matter what you want to see, Bob

Alzner-Green
xxx- Carlson
Erskine - xxx
Hillen - Olseky

We need another top 4, and one of Orlov, Poti, Kundratek to fill that role, as well as the bottom pairing with Erskine. We have a LOT of bodies, but they arent good ones. I'd rather Hamrlik be in there, frankly. Especially for the playoffs!

So this is why I continue to rail on McPhail.

That said,

Fire George

Old
04-08-2013, 11:23 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Not from this corner. I am happy the Caps are winning. But to say I am "nitpicking" the defense is stupid. The defense sucked last night. Your Rose coloured glasses prevent you from seeing that, and you are in love with Olesky and Erskine. Both did not look good. And that doesnt even encompass Hillen.

2 of those 3 should not be top 6 every night (Hillen and Olesky), and Erskine should not be top 4. Add in Carlson's nightly brain farts, and the defense is a problem, no matter what you want to see, Bob

Alzner-Green
xxx- Carlson
Erskine - xxx
Hillen - Olseky

We need another top 4, and one of Orlov, Poti, Kundratek to fill that role, as well as the bottom pairing with Erskine. We have a LOT of bodies, but they arent good ones. I'd rather Hamrlik be in there, frankly. Especially for the playoffs!

So this is why I continue to rail on McPhail.

That said,

Fire George
For sure the 3rd pair struggled a bit yesterday. The big O moreso than Erskine who bailed him out a few times. It happens. Even to the best of players from time to time. Its not like we were going against some kind of offensively inept team either.

Give credit to Tampa. They were pinpoint in their passing for much of the night.

Hillen was very good outside that tough break. Again that one went more to Tampa just making a great play. Great pass and an even better reception and move by Kilorn.

Hillen was noticably good. Alan May and I saw it the exact same way. He stifled Stamkos all night just like he did Tavares.

Did Tampa even get one rebound shot? I can't remember a single one. That usually means strong work by the D in front of the goalie. The closest they got was in the 3rd period and Joel Ward saved the bacon on a 3 on 2 by hustling back.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:06 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

I got off the tank bandwagon as soon as the Caps looked like they were coming along and actually playing hockey.

Having said that, last night was the worst game defensively I can remember watching. Hillen and Oleksy looked like pylons on numerous occasions. Hillen otherwise had a solid game, and he's very good against the speedy guys; I've seen him shut down Tavares, St Louis, and Stamkos in the past few games. I think he'd get crushed in a series against the Bruins or another team with size on the wing. Alzner is playing outstanding hockey right now. Green is Green; brilliant one minute and frustrating the next. Carlson has been bad. Erksine needs Kundratek or Orlov I believe; Big John needs a puck mover whose comfortable with the puck and 61 ain't it.

Neuvy was a stud. Stopped at least five opportunities where I was convinced it was a goal. Start him again in Montreal.

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:13 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Yeah the D was bad but lets not forget Tampa had the best offense in the league.

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:26 PM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

Dont forget Oates has a system that gives the opposition certain parts of the ice; cue its a trap meme.

The problem I saw more was we were unable to handle their grade A passes, and their speed. They just do everything at top speed it seems.

Even their PP, they scored in like 10 seconds. They do not **** around with the puck, a complaint I have had about many caps in recent years.

I think we could still use passing drills, one timer passes, slap passes etc. Dont pass it behind me, passing 101.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Maryland17

After this weekend, the Caps and Jets will start Tuesday the 16th with 6 games each remaining, that will give us a better idea of where we stand with no games in hand. Huge that Winnipeg goes to Washington on the 23rd, one day after playing at Buffalo.

CAPS(6 games in 11 days)
16th vs. Toronto
18th @ Ottawa
20th @ Montreal
23rd vs. Winnipeg
25th vs. Ottawa
27th vs. Boston

Jets(6 games in 9 days)
16th vs. Tampa Bay
18th vs. Carolina
20th vs. NYI
22nd @ Buffalo
23rd @ Washington
25th vs. Montreal

Maryland17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:02 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland17 View Post
After this weekend, the Caps and Jets will start Tuesday the 16th with 6 games each remaining, that will give us a better idea of where we stand with no games in hand. Huge that Winnipeg goes to Washington on the 23rd, one day after playing at Buffalo.

CAPS(6 games in 11 days)
16th vs. Toronto
18th @ Ottawa
20th @ Montreal
23rd vs. Winnipeg
25th vs. Ottawa
27th vs. Boston

Jets(6 games in 9 days)
16th vs. Tampa Bay
18th vs. Carolina
20th vs. NYI
22nd @ Buffalo
23rd @ Washington
25th vs. Montreal
Not good. I see 5 playoff teams and Winnipeg for the Caps. Jets only have 2 playoff teams. That Jets game could be for the division, and if they lose they could fall out of the playoffs completely.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Not good. I see 5 playoff teams and Winnipeg for the Caps. Jets only have 2 playoff teams. That Jets game could be for the division, and if they lose they could fall out of the playoffs completely.
do we still get playoff avaters then

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote