HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-24-2013, 07:31 AM
  #776
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 47,271
vCash: 500
you guys are great. faced with the facts. 10 of 11 and 14 of 17 you guys double down.
so, to start the post game talk after each caps win from here til their last playoff game we can start with talking about mcphee needing to be fired. the caps just win 5-0, yea but mcphee should be fired now. the caps sweep their first round series.....yea, but.....mcphee.

hey maybe we can string up mcphee and hang him at the same moment the stanley cup banner is being raised.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:34 AM
  #777
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Erskine is the closest thing to a monster on defense, and a monster he was last night. Even in the waning seconds of the game, there he was squashing the last few whimpers of the grounded jets.

Rouse, was that you last night picking the 3 stars? Hendricks, Chimera Erskine, really? I am flashing back to times when Langway and other players would get stars without scoring.

What is our record with Oleksy in the lineup, and Erskine; and both in at the same time?

Yes that Oleksy Hillen pairing will be on for goals against in the playoffs. As a small pairing, they will be targeted. Oates does not seem to shelter his bottom pair, and sure enough they are ending up on the ice for goals for, offsetting any negative. If Oates does not worry, you should not either.

Alzner and Green will give up goals as well. Its hockey, they all will. Get worried if they enter the dreaded Wideman Schultz zone.
Haha its good to see those guys get rewarded and recognized. All of them played a hardnosed game.

Erskine is a monster on D. But I am sure the detractors are still convinced, despite his play this year, that he is not currently a top 4 defender.

Hillen and Oleksy tandem does have its flaws as you pointed out but they are both gamers and compete every shift. I have utter confidence in them as Oates does. They seem to make up for mistakes game in and game out.

I too am VERY interested about our record with both Oleksy and Erskine in the lineup.

Even if its good I'm sure there are a large contingent of Hators playing playoff fantasy hockey right now and penciling in Orlov and Kundratek in lieu of them.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:34 AM
  #778
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Kundratek is the one I would like to see playing right now. Get him into the next two games so he's more used to NHL speed if he's needed in the playoffs.
Problem with that, is Hillen and Kundratek play the same role opposite Olesky. The puck moving "little guy".

Orlov would make more sense to replace Olesky, if anyone.

Olesky does worry me for the playoffs. A lot. One extra gaff, leads to one extra goal, leads to one extra game loss, leads to one series dump. Laugh all you want, as Caps fans, we've all seen it happen.

However, not sure Orlov is the greater of these evils. Olesky will certainly start game 1, he's been a part of the surge. Will see what happens after that....we lose game 1 in our barn, whomever the opponent, and LMFAO comes out "everybodies shufflin, shufflin".

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:38 AM
  #779
OVs Gold Chain*
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 1,115
vCash: 557
Erskine may have gotten the standard McPhee good soldier contract, but he's doing everything he can to earn it. The crucial blocked shots aside, he brings grit that is noticeable as soon as he hits the ice.. all of a sudden opposing forwards are hesitant on the forecheck or to get in front of the net.

Still think this team is a shut-down D (pls return to form Karl) away from being a serious cup contender but I'm excited to see what they can do in the playoffs.

OVs Gold Chain* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:39 AM
  #780
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
you guys are great. faced with the facts. 10 of 11 and 14 of 17 you guys double down.
so, to start the post game talk after each caps win from here til their last playoff game we can start with talking about mcphee needing to be fired. the caps just win 5-0, yea but mcphee should be fired now. the caps sweep their first round series.....yea, but.....mcphee.

hey maybe we can string up mcphee and hang him at the same moment the stanley cup banner is being raised.
What are you talking about? Who is saying McPhee whould be fired after that game? You are just making stuff up.

Once the Caps lose, and the season ends, then I will be back on the fire McPhee bandwagon (and will probably do it for superstitious reasons after any game they lose, honestly).

Everyone sees the real you here (to quote a Who song). Nothing has changed for George, for those that see his issues. But we are in the playoffs, so lets enjoy what unfolds....until we dont (lose)

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 07:59 AM
  #781
msrulo
Registered User
 
msrulo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: 류경6
Country: North Korea
Posts: 2,857
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

hey maybe we can string up mcphee and hang him at the same moment the stanley cup banner is being raised.
Call me when it happens


msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:02 AM
  #782
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,096
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post

I too am VERY interested about our record with both Oleksy and Erskine in the lineup.
Oleksy in the lineup Caps are 18-8 assuming he has missed no games since 3/5-4/23

That's all I got.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:16 AM
  #783
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Oleksy in the lineup Caps are 18-8 assuming he has missed no games since 3/5-4/23

That's all I got.
Yeah I suck at digging up stats like that.

I'm sure our record with or without Erskine is even more telling. The product on the ice certainly is.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:22 AM
  #784
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?
 
NobodyBeatsTheWiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: The Burbs
Posts: 22,449
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah I suck at digging up stats like that.

I'm sure our record with or without Erskine is even more telling. The product on the ice certainly is.
Meh, I don't think either one particularly telling. They just happen to coincide with Ovie heating up.

I posted it yesterday, but the Caps' record in games where Ovie scores a goal is 19-3-1. Doesn't get more telling than that.

This turnaround has hinged almost completely on his play. Oates definitely gets a lot of credit for that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:36 AM
  #785
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Meh, I don't think either one particularly telling. They just happen to coincide with Ovie heating up.

I posted it yesterday, but the Caps' record in games where Ovie scores a goal is 19-3-1. Doesn't get more telling than that.

This turnaround has hinged almost completely on his play. Oates definitely gets a lot of credit for that.
Random...in those 3 games we lost when Ovi scored...did Erskine play in any? I'm pretty sure Ovi scored in two games vs the Pens at least and for neither did we have Erskine....

I notice we get pushed around quite often without #4.

I remember he came back to the lineup..we strung a few wins together..he got hurt early in a game vs the Isles. We got crushed. We lost a few games in a row after that.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:40 AM
  #786
Ridley Simon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 6,970
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Random...in those 3 games we lost when Ovi scored...did Erskine play in any? I'm pretty sure Ovi scored in two games vs the Pens at least and for neither did we have Erskine....

I notice we get pushed around quite often without #4.

I remember he came back to the lineup..we strung a few wins together..he got hurt early in a game vs the Isles. We got crushed. We lost a few games in a row after that.
you and your Erskine love. Its getting a little over the top. Rod Langway and Scott Stevens, he is not.

I'm glad he's on the team, I like him. But you need to tone down the hyberbole on him a tad man. You ask me to tone down the Fire George hyperbole, I'm asking you to tone down the Erskine is God hyperbole.

Deal?

Ridley Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:43 AM
  #787
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
you and your Erskine love. Its getting a little over the top. Rod Langway and Scott Stevens, he is not.

I'm glad he's on the team, I like him. But you need to tone down the hyberbole on him a tad man. You ask me to tone down the Fire George hyperbole, I'm asking you to tone down the Erskine is God hyperbole.

Deal?
Hell NO!

Erskine is the man!! ADMIT IT!! hahahaha

All I see is him crushing fools and intimidating the opposition. His skating and stickhandling have gotten better and he rarely makes mistakes anymore.

You do your FIRE GEORGE thing and I'll do my Erskine Mancrush thing.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 08:58 AM
  #788
txpd
Registered User
 
txpd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 47,271
vCash: 500
caps have 3 loses and 1 otl where ov scored a goal. erskine played in the first one v toronto and none of the other three...two of which were v pittsburgh.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:05 AM
  #789
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
caps have 3 loses and 1 otl where ov scored a goal. erskine played in the first one v toronto and none of the other three...two of which were v pittsburgh.
Good work TX.

Thats very interesting to me for obvious reasons.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:14 AM
  #790
bgroban
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Houston, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 1,418
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Oleksy in the lineup Caps are 18-8 assuming he has missed no games since 3/5-4/23

That's all I got.
Per Hockey Reference, the team is 12-2 (this season) with them both in the lineup. Keep in mind - Olesky's first game was not until 3/5.

bgroban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:20 AM
  #791
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Per Hockey Reference, the team is 12-2 (this season) with them both in the lineup. Keep in mind - Olesky's first game was not until 3/5.
Whats our record with Erskine and without?

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
  #792
foundhockey
Registered User
 
foundhockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Georgia, USA
Country: United States
Posts: 2,507
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capital Dee View Post
The Florida Panther moderator closed the thread about Washington clinching Southeast division title, obviously this moderator has no reason but hatred for closing that thread
I agree with him closing it. Unlike the Isles thread, where there were mostly congratulations, a lot of folks in the Caps thread were saying how we choke, how this team or that will beat us, etc.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:24 AM
  #793
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles
 
BrooklynCapsFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Brooklyn, New York
Posts: 17,955
vCash: 500
I don't think Olesky is getting enough credit for Ovechkin's renaissance. He wasn't really scoring without Olesky in the lineup.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:28 AM
  #794
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I don't think Olesky is getting enough credit for Ovechkin's renaissance. He wasn't really scoring without Olesky in the lineup.
I see you are still enjoying that Haterade.

Keep chugging it!

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:34 AM
  #795
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day
 
RandyHolt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Country: Poland
Posts: 28,096
vCash: 50
While Ovi driving the bus has had a huge hand in our closing out of the year, it wasn't like he wasn't trying before hand. He was getting his touches, PP time, ENG looks etc.

Fact remains toughness is a goal going forward and think Ovi likes to be have players around him that will defend him at all costs. What teammate does not, and don't you want him to have those as a fan?

Volpatti showed me a few decent offensive skills, a one timer and a little spin move in the slot last night. He gets a shiny new multi-year deal. Fehr is no goon but is no door knob either - and is retained as well.

Oleksy remains and has beat out Kundratek. Living proof of why players play through injuries, others literally steal their jobs.

RandyHolt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:42 AM
  #796
WetHog
Out to Lunch
 
WetHog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Country: United States
Posts: 15,481
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Anyone remember this?



Here is to not having the Caps playoff run end this way. We need a playoff ending like this:



Last edited by WetHog: 04-24-2013 at 10:47 AM.
WetHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:43 AM
  #797
BobRouse
Registered User
 
BobRouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,296
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Fact remains toughness is a goal going forward and think Ovi likes to be have players around him that will defend him at all costs. What teammate does not, and don't you want him to have those as a fan?

.
"Brashear...Boar..mountain of muscles"

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:55 AM
  #798
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!
 
ChibiPooky's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Fairfax, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 11,584
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgroban View Post
Per Hockey Reference, the team is 12-2 (this season) with them both in the lineup. Keep in mind - Olesky's first game was not until 3/5.
Here's another "in vs out" that shouldn't be overlooked:


ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:12 AM
  #799
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan
 
CapitalsCupFantasy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 33,368
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
No GMGM = No Oates = No Vintage Ovechkin

Idc if Forsberg turns into a great player, what Oates has done with Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green and co. has been awesome, and the reason why the Caps are legit once again.

Also, watching perreault's reaction after the ENG was awesome. Dude seems so funny, and everyone seems to love him. And he's playing great too.
Let's not pretend they were friends and that's what brought Oates to DC. If you remember, he shipped Oates out of town with some controversy when Oates played here.

That said, I think everyone is happy with the hiring today given the Ovechkin turnaround.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 11:23 AM
  #800
Stewie G
Needed more hitting!
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Look, I've turned on Schultz as much as the next guy, but I don't know if anyone truly believes that Schultz has had a noticeable impact on the team's record when he plays vs. sits. He doesn't drive the bus.

I've noticed a very strong correlation between Caps wins and the times when I start watching the DVR after 9. Coincidence? You decide.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.