HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Act II: 27-18-3 Playoffs!!!....we talkin about Playoffs??!?!

Old
04-01-2013, 07:48 AM
BobRouse

vCash: 500
One of the most memorable Caps seasons was 07-08 in my book.

It looked lost even after some improved play. The weekend crushers where we lost to Boston and Pitt back to back late in regulation put is in nearly an impossible spot.

We needed to win out and did.

This has been a frustrating season no doubt. But it can go from frustrating to memorable in a hurry.

Big game vs Canes.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:22 AM
PuckBuddy
Green for Selke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
One of the most memorable Caps seasons was 07-08 in my book.

It looked lost even after some improved play. The weekend crushers where we lost to Boston and Pitt back to back late in regulation put is in nearly an impossible spot.
The Backstrom own-goal with Crosby mic'd up, gloating over it, was such a knife in the guts.

Hopefully the 'Canes can keep up their proud tradition of choking hard late in the season to let the Caps dabble in playoff hockey.

PuckBuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:36 AM
Capitlols
Historic Chokers

Talbot broke his leg, ouch.

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 08:53 AM
g00n
Global Moderator
๑۩۞۩๑♩♪♫♬๑۩۞۩๑

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitlols View Post
Talbot broke his leg, ouch.
Well, good. I wouldn't have wished injury on him pre-emptively, but since he did it to himself while headhunting Mike Green and presumably going for the knock-out, instant karma.

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:39 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
One thought on the tankers saying we have no chance in the playoffs so why bother, guys like Carlson is why. Remember how crappy his regular season was, then come playoff time he started playing with urgency, hitting, etc?

I am sure there are many more that up their games.

With Kundratek Orlov Oleksy pushing up, I would hope Carlson would try and give his all and help us get into the playoffs, and not save it for the playoffs if we make it.

I won't hold my breath. I wonder if he could land a comparable 2LD in a roster trade.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:54 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBuddy View Post
The Backstrom own-goal with Crosby mic'd up, gloating over it, was such a knife in the guts.

Hopefully the 'Canes can keep up their proud tradition of choking hard late in the season to let the Caps dabble in playoff hockey.
Indeed.

Fact is that we can still turn it around and make noise in the playoffs.

Carlson is not going anywhere nor should he. He is very good already and is just a pup.

Old
04-01-2013, 12:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:
Indeed.

Fact is that we can still turn it around and make noise in the playoffs.

Carlson is not going anywhere nor should he. He is very good already and is just a pup.
All the Caps top defensemen are just pups. Even Green has missed enough time that he's had less development than his actual age. Oleksy broke out at 27.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 12:59 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
All the Caps top defensemen are just pups. Even Green has missed enough time that he's had less development than his actual age. Oleksy broke out at 27.
Right. Our D will get better and better as they learn.

We need to focus on the top 6 or hope that Forsberg and Kuznetsov come over sooner rather than later.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:13 PM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Quote:

He seems mighty young and well compensated to not be giving his all in the regular season. A season in which there should be a much greater urgency than I am seeing from his game.

If he never gives his all in the regular season, we are a fringe team needing wins, is all still good?

He is playing far softer than I ever projected. Seeing him at Kettler hitting as a pup, where did that game go?

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:18 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
He seems mighty young and well compensated to not be giving his all in the regular season. A season in which there should be a much greater urgency than I am seeing from his game.

If he never gives his all in the regular season, we are a fringe team needing wins, is all still good?

He is playing far softer than I ever projected. Seeing him at Kettler hitting as a pup, where did that game go?
He's still very young and learning what it takes. Young players suffer greatly from inconsistency and that is what we are seeing from #74.

I'm not concerned at all.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:52 PM
Roughing

Quote:
He's still very young and learning what it takes. Young players suffer greatly from inconsistency and that is what we are seeing from #74.

I'm not concerned at all.
Yeah, but this team still needs a top Dman big time. A shutdown guy who can educate and lead the young guys. We have a few guys we hope and think could be top pair types. We have a bunch of okay/5-8 types. We have a worthless coward wearing 55. We do not have anyone that other teams look out for.

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:53 PM
tycoonheart

Carlson did the same crap last year, where he looked like he was lost in the regular season. Come playoffs, he was our best defenseman. I hope he does the same this year.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 01:59 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughing View Post
Yeah, but this team still needs a top Dman big time. A shutdown guy who can educate and lead the young guys. We have a few guys we hope and think could be top pair types. We have a bunch of okay/5-8 types. We have a worthless coward wearing 55. We do not have anyone that other teams look out for.
No kidding. We've needed that since Tinordi stopped playing.

Fact is that is not the way McPhee goes about things. To acquire a top pairing Dman would mean it has to be a blockbuster trade. McPhee doesn't do blockbusters unless you consider Zednik/Bulis for Linden/Zubrus one.

The best we can hope for is to develop our own. There are greater needs on our team at this point as our top 6 forwards have some questions.

I think we have more than okay 5-8 types tho. Orlov/Green/Alzner/Carlson all are or have top 4 written on them. Erskine has looked like a top 4 dman this year. Oleksy looks like a very solid 5/6 NHL dman and the same with Kundratek.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Roughing

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Carlson did the same crap last year, where he looked like he was lost in the regular season. Come playoffs, he was our best defenseman. I hope he does the same this year.
I hope he stops looking like crap in the regular season...

Roughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Halpysback*

Interview of Oates by malamud linked by Chuchka on main board, thought it might be nice to repost here

http://www.sport-express.ru/newspape...3_1/?view=page

Not gonna translate whole thing but some interesting cliff notes (more or less all of it, heh)

- Oates said he put Ovechkin on RW to maximize the number of times Ovechkin gets to touch the puck. He set a record of 50 even strength touches in the game against Winnipeg (for OV, not all time). Touch is counted as a player getting the puck and possessing it for at least a second, without any ricochets or flubs. Prior record was 42 touches. When he was playing on the left, the most he got was 18 touches (probably of all games this season, not career wise). Many times would get < 10 touches. Oates stated positioning and the way you get to see the ice on your on-wing are major factors.

- Oates has a ton of respect for Ovechkin, when he first approached him with switching to RW he wanted to prove his touch theory to OV. Ovechkin discussed it with him, bought in, didn't work, went back to the left side, wasn't doing well there, discussed it with him again, went back to the right and now agrees with Oates and has the puck a lot more.

- Oates mentioned that Ovechkin is scoring in more different ways, with deflections and streaking down RW. Vast majority of goals scored with Ovechkin barely possessing the pucl

- System is calibrated so that Ovechkin doesn't have to do as much with the puck, can let others be puck carriers. Was done to minimize predictability. Now they enter the zone in a much greater variety of ways than when Ovechkin was doing it all himself on LW. Primarily an adjustment to the league adjusting to take away all of Ovechkin's space.

- Oates stated that almost all of Ovechkin's previous goals were a result of him doing most of the work with carrying the puck/deking/making a power moves, Oates is trying to spread it out more evenly.

- Stated he became a coach to coach Ovechkin as a fan of Ovechkin/Washington (probably means why he took the Washington head coaching job, not why he became coach overall)

- Says he thinks Ovechkin can undergo same evolution as Kovalchuk

- Said Ovechkin should tell Russian Olympic coaches to put him on RW. Said they'd never beat Canada or the US if they played the way they played in Vancouver.

- Orlov had a pair of serious injuries (I'm guessing concussions/shoulder). Good set of tools for North American game, needs to work on his play in his own zone. Says it's good that Orlov is playing more carefully and will get more icetime if it continues.

Halpysback* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:17 PM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Interview of Oates by malamud linked by Chuchka on main board, thought it might be nice to repost here

Not gonna translate whole thing but some interesting cliff notes (more or less all of it, heh)

- Oates said he put Ovechkin on RW to maximize the number of times Ovechkin gets to touch the puck. He set a record of 50 even strength touches in the game against Winnipeg (for OV, not all time). Touch is counted as a player getting the puck and possessing it for at least a second, without any ricochets or flubs. Prior record was 42 touches. When he was playing on the left, the most he got was 18 touches (probably of all games this season, not career wise). Many times would get < 10 touches. Oates stated positioning and the way you get to see the ice on your on-wing are major factors.

- Oates has a ton of respect for Ovechkin, when he first approached him with switching to RW he wanted to prove his touch theory to OV. Ovechkin discussed it with him, bought in, didn't work, went back to the left side, wasn't doing well there, discussed it with him again, went back to the right and now agrees with Oates and has the puck a lot more.

- Oates mentioned that Ovechkin is scoring in more different ways, with deflections and streaking down RW. Vast majority of goals scored with Ovechkin barely possessing the pucl

- System is calibrated so that Ovechkin doesn't have to do as much with the puck, can let others be puck carriers. Was done to minimize predictability. Now they enter the zone in a much greater variety of ways than when Ovechkin was doing it all himself on LW. Primarily an adjustment to the league adjusting to take away all of Ovechkin's space.

- Oates stated that almost all of Ovechkin's previous goals were a result of him doing most of the work with carrying the puck/deking/making a power moves, Oates is trying to spread it out more evenly.

- Stated he became a coach to coach Ovechkin as a fan of Ovechkin/Washington (probably means why he took the Washington head coaching job, not why he became coach overall)

- Said Ovechkin should tell Russian Olympic coaches to put him on RW. Said they'd never beat Canada or the US if they played the way they played in Vancouver.

- Orlov had a pair of serious injuries (I'm guessing concussions/shoulder). Good set of tools for North American game, needs to work on his play in his own zone. Says it's good that Orlov is playing more carefully and will get more icetime if it continues.
Even if we miss the playoffs, Oates season should be a success for helping Ovechkin become one of the best players in the world again.

Ovechkins Wodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:32 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Even if we miss the playoffs, Oates season should be a success for helping Ovechkin become one of the best players in the world again.
Let's not jump the gun just yet. When he's back contending for scoring titles, then he's "one of the best in the world again"....but at least he's headed in the right direction.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:35 PM
usiel

vCash: 1430
Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post

One thing I noticed with AO on the RW is that when he gets the puck passed to him coming out of their dzone he'll immediate pass the puck to one of his linemates while still in the neutral zone so he's not collapsed up immediately.

04-01-2013, 02:37 PM
Atlas

Agreed. Ovie has been a pleasure to watch lately. Back to the old love able Ovie.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:40 PM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
Agreed. Ovie has been a pleasure to watch lately. Back to the old love able Ovie.
Yeah I feel he is a threat again every time. Sometimes I feel that the other lines are just there to give him a breather so he can go back out again and take over.

Hope he keeps it up.

Old
Halpysback*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Clearly that was all thanks to Milbury's "analysis" brah.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
Let's not jump the gun just yet. When he's back contending for scoring titles, then he's "one of the best in the world again"....but at least he's headed in the right direction.
He is top-20 in points and top-5 in goals again.

I wouldn't disagree with the assertion that after the first half-dozen games or so this season, he's been one of the best in the world.

Checking the game logs:

1st 8 games: 2 goals, 1 assist
Next 27 games: 16 goals, 15 assists (48-goal, 45 assist pace)

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:43 PM
tycoonheart

I tend to think if Ovi's linemates had been finishing for him early in the season (and even now to some extent), we'd be talking about Ovi as MVP candidate.

He's been playing exceptionally well. He's got his shot back. When I see him taking a slapper now, I get that same feeling I used to a few years ago... that its going to go in.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Halpysback*

If this is the kind of approach they're going for they'd need a skilled fast LW who isn't a possession killer and can take some punishment. Tanguay would be ideal, MacArthur could probably shine as well even though I'm not a big fan of him. He's played more wings though, so that could probably be more advantageous when Ovechkin decided to criss-cross mid shift like he does quite often.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:49 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
He is top-20 in points and top-5 in goals again.

I wouldn't disagree with the assertion that after the first half-dozen games or so this season, he's been one of the best in the world.

Checking the game logs:

1st 8 games: 2 goals, 1 assist
Next 27 games: 16 goals, 15 assists (48-goal, 45 assist pace)
It's easy to look at snapshots of the season, ignore the worst parts, and have hope, but he's back when he's actually back and among the handful of top players for a full season.

He's 6th in goals, was 12th a goal ago...so I'm not going around boasting that he's "back" just yet. He needs to do it for an entire year to back that up IMO. Certainly things are looking better, but he's got a lot to prove. Hopefully he's now got a chip on his shoulder and will be motivated to do so beyond this season.

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote