HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Ryan Miller on trading block (Millard - Tampa Bay inquiring)

Old
03-29-2013, 12:15 PM
Zal

vCash: 500
Apparently Miller provided a list of eight teams he will not accept a trade to. Any insight/speculation as to the teams listed?

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:22 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
Apparently Miller provided a list of eight teams he will not accept a trade to. Any insight/speculation as to the teams listed?
Link?? I've heard absolutely nothing about the Sabres actually requesting a list from Miller.
Or are you just asking for speculation about where we think he wouldn't want to go?

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:29 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
Link?? I've heard absolutely nothing about the Sabres actually requesting a list from Miller.
Or are you just asking for speculation about where we think he wouldn't want to go?
EDIT: My bad, yes he did. He never said anything about requesting a list. I too would like a link. Having said that I'd be willing to bet Boston and TO are on the list of teams he doesnt want to go to.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:37 PM
Selanne00008

speaking of. How do limited NTC or NMC work? Every year does the player submit 8 teams (or whatever it may be) that they will NOT accept a trade to?

OR is every limited no movement/trade clause different?

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
speaking of. How do limited NTC or NMC work? Every year does the player submit 8 teams (or whatever it may be) that they will NOT accept a trade to?

It depends on term, I think. Some have 5, some 10 where they won't go some have 5 or 10 where they are willing to go etc.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:40 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post

They're all different/uniquely negotiated. Miller's particular NTC says that he can submit a list of 8 teams he will not accept a trade to.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:42 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
EDIT: My bad, yes he did. He never said anything about requesting a list. I too would like a link. Having said that I'd be willing to bet Boston and TO are on the list of teams he doesnt want to go to.
Andy Strickland tweeted it yesterday. List provided in January

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:46 PM
Zal

Quote:
TSN:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=419382

Zal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:56 PM
Elum

vCash: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace1963 View Post
Absolutely true, but that only proves he's not a great goalie. He had to be great for only one period, and couldn't hack it. The great ones do.
Yeah, those goals he let in during game 7 were all his fault. But because he let in those goals during his rookie season, he'd never be able to be listed as "great".

Elum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 12:57 PM
Selanne00008

Quote:
They're all different/uniquely negotiated. Miller's particular NTC says that he can submit a list of 8 teams he will not accept a trade to.
I always find this stuff interesting. Does Ryan sit down with some cereal and a glass of juice and think about it for ten minutes? haha.

He could kinda be a dick and leave teams on there that he simply knows he would never be dealt to. Like Toronto, or someone like Jersey who is set in goal.

I guess everyone's priority is different but #1 and #2 is family/city you'd like to live in and contender status.

Selanne00008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 01:27 PM
MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD
~

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that's because I'm not trying to "frame a story" like you are... I'm simply letting the present speak for itself

the only time a "full breadth of work" has any meaning is when voting for the hall of fame

Miller's 2006/07 season has absolutely no relevance in a conversation about his present ability and/or trade value... just like Lecavalier's former 100 pt season is meaningless today.
This would be a cool line of argument if it was at all relevant.

I'm not arguing in favor of trade value or current level of play. I'm disputing the assertion he only had one good year, and that he's "overrated."

Quote:
A completely overrated factor... and one that is constantly used to keep names like Miller and Kiprusoff and Ward, etc in the conversation as "top 10 goaltenders"... when NONE of them are anything of the sort.
Come on now. Miller's a top-10 goaltender of his generation easily, as borne out by his past 8 years' performance. He'll be remembered as such.

Quote:
If your sarcasm is meant to indicate anything, I hope it's that goaltender performance is dependent on team, and the entire idea of "top 10 goalie" is utter nonsense

Yes, every goaltender is the same.

MARCUS FOLlGNO PHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 02:05 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Fine then, so Buffalo would trade miller for slightly lesser deal to keep him out of the division. Then the team out of the division would trade Miller back to Toronto for a slightly better deal, making a plus value in the process.
The only way a Sabre would EVER become a Leaf. Regier's least favourite team to deal with, is his nearest neighbour. There are a
few Sabres I'd love...come to the Leafs directly, NEVER.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:59 PM
Blue Goose
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Okay, I had this thought in my head - let me know if it should have stayed there, Sabres fans:

BUF gets: Jaroslav Halak, Ty Rattie, 2014 1st rd pick
STL gets: Ryan Miller, Luke Adam

Blues have no real depth at center in the organization, and Adam seems stuck in the AHL at the moment and could use the proverbial "change of scenery", right?

STL is loaded at RW, and all signs seem to indicate that Stafford is on the way out, so Rattie would be a step in the direction toward long-term replacement at that position. (PS. On a related note, I personally hope Pominville stays in BUF)

Both goalies are UFA in Summer 2014. Would the 1st rd pick even things out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Would prefer this yrs 1st, but other then that I like it
Quote:
I'd definitely do that from a Buffalo POV. Get a good enough goalie to start or split starts with Enroth, 1st, and a good wing prospect.

ETA: Would also prefer if the 1st were this year's, but I'd still do it as a 2014 1st.
2013 1st rd picks are a hot commodity, for sure. My biggest fear is that STL is going to miss the playoffs, and since the lottery is open to all the teams who miss, I'd like to keep that 1st this year. Unless we make it a "protected 1st", and only include it if it's not in the top 15. Personally, I'd rather do the deal this summer AFTER the draft, when both teams can have a better assessment of where they're each going as a franchise. I think BUF will get some extra 2013 picks by trading Stafford/Leopold/Regehr, so this way we can give them a pick to help them stockpile for 2014.

Quote:
Oh, Strickland...

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:01 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
this would be great for tampa, but i still think lindbäck will figure his **** out and be a good goalie.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:15 PM
sabresEH

Quote:
Thanks. Andy obv only heard of the list and never got confirmation of teams on the list i'm guessing.

sabresEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:39 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Ryan Miller's even strength sv% this year is .926 (.919 is league average). He was at .928 his Vezina year. He's been above .919 at even strength every season of his career, a better indicator of a goalie's play than any other one stat. He's been brutally unlucky this year in regards to PK sv% and his team facing an absurd amount of shots. You put him on St. Louis and they're Cup contenders.

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:35 PM
Sean McG
Grigorenkensons

I'm not going to believe anything RE: trading Miller until the deadline actually passes... the fact that there are even trade rumours surrounding his name make me believe he'll be a Sabre for the rest of the season. Darcy Regier hardly ever lets anything leak on the deals he's working on. Love him or hate him as a GM, he's notoriously tight-lipped.

We went through the exact same thing last year with 'insiders' trying to be the first to report he was available. It's the classic case of reading the tea leaves and passing that off as information... Rebuilding team + goalie that tends to speak his mind (thus creating the "divide" or "cancer" in the dressing room that obviously needs to go) + team that needs goalie + "sources" = trade rumour.

Not saying there's no chance he's dealt, but the draft seems a lot more likely. There aren't enough playoff contenders that need a goalie, have salary cap space and have adequate assets to deal for Miller.

Sean McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:36 PM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zal View Post
Aaron Ward says there is actually just one team on the list, the Pittsburgh Penguins

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 07:38 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresEH View Post
He's best buds with Liles, would be surprised if any team JML is on is off limits.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:06 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Okay, I had this thought in my head - let me know if it should have stayed there, Sabres fans:

BUF gets: Jaroslav Halak, Ty Rattie, 2014 1st rd pick
STL gets: Ryan Miller, Luke Adam

Blues have no real depth at center in the organization, and Adam seems stuck in the AHL at the moment and could use the proverbial "change of scenery", right?

STL is loaded at RW, and all signs seem to indicate that Stafford is on the way out, so Rattie would be a step in the direction toward long-term replacement at that position. (PS. On a related note, I personally hope Pominville stays in BUF)

Both goalies are UFA in Summer 2014. Would the 1st rd pick even things out?
I would love this. I know a lot of other Blues fans want nothing to do with Miller but he really isn't getting paid much more than Halak. It also gives Allen a chance to develop under Miller which would be great. Miller is a proven #1 goaltender and I think he can do very well in STL running Miller/Allen.

And as Blue Goose stated with how we are playing and how close the West is and the new lottery system I don't think we can afford to give up this years first round pick.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
And as Blue Goose stated with how we are playing and how close the West is and the new lottery system I don't think we can afford to give up this years first round pick.
The only reasonable protection on the pick would be to say it was a top 8 pick.

If they miss the playoffs they would be picking around 11-14.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:05 PM
Bluesman91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
The only reasonable protection on the pick would be to say it was a top 8 pick.

If they miss the playoffs they would be picking around 11-14.
I'd still give up this year's pick, just obviously like the idea of trading next year's instead lol. I think Miller is our best option for what's available and it's obvious we don't need Halak right now if we are looking to be cup contenders. I think Miller get's a little too much flack from some posters around here too.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:43 PM
The Macho Man
Fire Cooper

vCash: 134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean McG View Post
I'm not going to believe anything RE: trading Miller until the deadline actually passes... the fact that there are even trade rumours surrounding his name make me believe he'll be a Sabre for the rest of the season. Darcy Regier hardly ever lets anything leak on the deals he's working on. Love him or hate him as a GM, he's notoriously tight-lipped.

We went through the exact same thing last year with 'insiders' trying to be the first to report he was available. It's the classic case of reading the tea leaves and passing that off as information... Rebuilding team + goalie that tends to speak his mind (thus creating the "divide" or "cancer" in the dressing room that obviously needs to go) + team that needs goalie + "sources" = trade rumour.

Not saying there's no chance he's dealt, but the draft seems a lot more likely. There aren't enough playoff contenders that need a goalie, have salary cap space and have adequate assets to deal for Miller.
Makes sense, actually, although I'd like him in Tampa. I think speculating on a return is tough though... goalies are just hard to gauge as far as value.

The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:48 PM
Rasmus Reichel

The idea that all NHL goalies are the same is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard on here

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 11:52 PM
RABBIT
KILLAFORNIA KING

Mike Smith for Ryan Miller.....

RABBIT is offline   Reply With Quote