HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ryan Miller on trading block (Millard - Tampa Bay inquiring)

Old
03-13-2013, 02:37 AM
Hammerheart
Now how about a hug?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Miller for Luongo
That would be completely pointless. They're most likely interested in someone who can score goals.

Hammerheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:41 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
Miller's been the best player on the ice most of the season, and scouts would know that. I think many will be surprised by what he returns should he be traded.
And the numbers he'd put up subsequently playing behind a real team that has a basic grasp of defensive coverage.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:59 AM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcrazycanuck View Post
Miller for Luongo
it would not work...

Both teams are looking for good value : blue chip prospects, 1st, top 6 forward.

They wont trade their elite goalie for an aging overpaid goalie.

Last edited by palindrom: 03-13-2013 at 07:10 AM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:14 AM
KEEROLE Vatanen
Failures Of Fenwick

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBills2012 View Post
Miller and Pominville for Hilliar and Ryan and 2nd
Oh god no, Anaheim does not need a goalie, and we're not trading Ryan, find another sucker

KEEROLE Vatanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:14 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
I don't think I would. Tampa with miller next year plus retaining their probable top 5 pick this year spells a pick no better than 15th next year. Not worth it IMO. I think we cold do better no?
I'm not sure they're picking in the top-5 without Miller, let alone if they added him. They're not as bad as their middling record indicates. They have a positive goal differential--for all the flak they caught a couple years ago when they were leading their division for most of the season with a negative goal differential, the opposite is happening to them this year. Adding Miller probably puts them on the cusp of a playoff spot this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Miller has been on the block since before the Lucic incident happened last year. Remember, that incident basically nixed a deal that would have sent him to the Ducks.

That being said, Miller has seemed a lot more disenchanted this season then most and I think hes in a place where hed be OK with the trade. I really believe hed be dealt by next deadline anyway bc Buffalo knows it will be an uphill battle to get him to resign.

But obviously with his NTC, hell have his pick of where he ends up, and itll likely be the furthest west he can get
I love that the premise of this rumor is that Darcy Regier--certified lover of his own players and never one to do anything when his team performing below average let alone when they're winning--was going to trade his franchise goaltender while the team was 10-5-1. Darcy doesn't do anything early in the season unless it's a move involving a lesser-light like Wooley or Danny Paille. That rumor is bunk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPantalones View Post
Andy Strickland, Kypreos and Paul Hamilton all confirmed it at the time. Regier even admitted on air after the incident that it affected a deal they had in place
He said nothing of the sort. If he even made a faint allusion to it, he would've broken the Sabres' board on this site. He's the most clandestine GM in the league. There's a reason his moves never break before they happen. This is fabricated baloney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
All of this

Keep in mind that among goaltenders with 150+ starts over the past 4 years, he's 4th in the league in save percentage. That's consistency and dependability if not eye-popping performance.
The bolded is the rub that people often forget when they are, ironically, whining about his...whining. He's consistent. He's dependable. And he plays pretty well in the playoffs. He'll do great behind a team that doesn't have five or six bad defensive breakdowns per game (per period?).

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:01 AM
roboninja
EYG

I would not mind Miller on EDM, but would definitely not want him enough to give away a 1st, or a top-line prospect. If he could be had for something like Dubnyk+Petry+Hemsky, maybe I think about it. But the difference between Miller and Dubnyk is not something crazy like Yakupov. I think if BUF is looking for that kind of return, he will remain a Sabre.

roboninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:11 AM
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan

vCash: 1159
Purcell + Brewer for Miller?

Follower of Yzlam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:17 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDevil View Post
Seems to me the Sharks would be downgrading both in goal and at forward.
Niemi for Miller is a downgrade for the Sharks at goal?

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:18 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
He said nothing of the sort. If he even made a faint allusion to it, he would've broken the Sabres' board on this site. He's the most clandestine GM in the league. There's a reason his moves never break before they happen. This is fabricated baloney.

This made me curious, so I spent some time looking through the archive in the Sabres section. Around page 59 there was a thread titled TBN Bucky that speculates a Ryan Miller Bobby Ryan trade fell through. A few pages later, a Chris Botto thread talks about a Ducks trade and that Miller mumbled "he wanted out" just after the concussion. There were also inaccessible links to a Darcy quote that was refuted as ambiguous.

Guessing thats the rumour people are thinking of from last year.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:23 AM
MacOfNiagara
Blue&Gold from birth

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdealisticSniper View Post
So Buffalo fans, lets assume he is going to be traded. What would you realistically be looking for from TB?

Would something around Purcell/Malone+Lindback/Garon+2nd be a base or tweaked etc?
No interest in Malone. At all.
Need youth with good potential and picks.

MacOfNiagara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:37 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

From Detroit:
Filppula (UFA; top-6 winger/center)
Howard (UFA; goes back home)
Prospect
Conditional picks if they re-sign

From Buffalo:
Stafford (reportedly wants out; top-6 forward)
Miller (goes back home)

Eh?

Last edited by RedMenace: 03-13-2013 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Cleaned up and changed draft picks to all conditional...
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:39 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Pretty sure Kyper is the one who started the Miller rumors last year (Miller - Kane?). Not sure I'd put much stock into this.

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:40 AM
TheCerebral1
Hockey Heaven

As long as the Sabres can get good to great value for Miller, I can see where this is coming from a mile away. With Ruff out, it's time for a new guard. They could simultaneously go after Bernier.

TheCerebral1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:00 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Tampa will be in the division. I don't see them being a destination.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:06 AM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
From Detroit:
Filppula (UFA; top-6 winger/center)
Howard (UFA; goes back home)
Prospect
Conditional picks if they re-sign

From Buffalo:
Stafford (reportedly wants out; top-6 forward)
Miller (goes back home)

Eh?
Filppula, Howard, Tvrdon, and 1st 2013 for Miller, Stafford, Adam, and a conditional pick if Howard and Filppula resign.

tmack224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Vitto79

Detroit will be in the East next yr so maybe not but he is from Detroit and his bro plays there no?

Miller
Leopold
for
Howard( conditional first if he doesnt sign )
Tatar
Kindl

something like that?

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
Dado

vCash:
Finally, a goalie besides Luongo on the block.

I suspect Buffalo fans are about to discover the same uncomfortable truth Canucks fan found re: goalie trade value.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:13 AM
marciiauzii

Send a message via Skype™ to marciiauzii
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Trap View Post
Wouldnt happen this year or next. No way the Devils would just bench Marty nor is it smart to have a 6million dollar backup
Just split the time. Marty wouldnt have to play so much and that would help and that would be a great duo. Team Canada, Team Usa.

And, why people think LA is one of the favourite places to Miller to end up? Quick is there? They dont need a backup, assuring that Bernier comes in that trade to Buffalo. And i would guess that Quick aint leaving LA.

marciiauzii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:20 AM
RedMenace
Zero ***** Given

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Filppula, Howard, Tvrdon, and 1st 2013 for Miller, Stafford, Adam, and a conditional pick if Howard and Filppula resign.
I don't know much about Luke Adam, nor can I comment on the value of Marek Tvrdon, but that doesn't sound like a bad swap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Detroit will be in the East next yr so maybe not but he is from Detroit and his bro plays there no?

Miller
Leopold
for
Howard( conditional first if he doesnt sign )
Tatar
Kindl

something like that?
Actually, that doesn't sound too bad either, but I'd rather send Quincey than Kindl back personally -- and DEFINITELY NOT Tatar. I think there are other prospects that could fit the bill just as well so that the Wings don't lose a forward who's guaranteed to be on the team next season.

Last edited by RedMenace: 03-13-2013 at 09:32 AM.
RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:37 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Interesting situation in that while Miller would be a nice upgrade for a lot of teams, the teams that I would have identified him as a logical destination for (Chicago and Anaheim) are doing very well/great with non-superstar goaltenders. You can win in this league with average goaltending that gets hot at the right time.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:43 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Interesting situation in that while Miller would be a nice upgrade for a lot of teams, the teams that I would have identified him as a logical destination for (Chicago and Anaheim) are doing very well/great with non-superstar goaltenders. You can win in this league with average goaltending that gets hot at the right time.
Why was Anaheim a logical destination? It sounds like the only time we were interested in landing him was when Hiller was struggling with concussion issues - over a year and a half ago.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:46 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
Why was Anaheim a logical destination? It sounds like the only time we were interested in landing him was when Hiller was struggling with concussion issues - over a year and a half ago.
Because Hiller is a shell and I don't think anyone really anticipated Fasth doing as well as he has? YMMV.

Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Gliff
Nick Bonino

Anaheim does not want or need him and they cannot afford him.

Gliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
The Hendog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homesick View Post
I hope so. The Oilers dont need Miller as their highest paid player even if it is for one season. They need to use that money for a true top pairing defenseman
There is no true top pairing defenseman available per unrestricted free agency this year
The list includes names like Visnosky (Oilers have been there done that), 38 year old Gonchar and you already have him Ryan Whitney. The biggest UFA d man this off season might be Smid so the Oilers better focus on keeping him for starters but obviously doesn't add to what the Oilers already have. Unless the Oilers are going to throw huge money at restricted free agents like Pietrangelo, Ekman-Larsson, Bogo or McDonagh (and even then I think any contract for all these players will be matched), the Oilers will not be using money this off season for a true top pairing defenseman. Unless of course it is via trade and then pay but how many top pairing defenseman have been traded during the off season in recent history? And under this scenario, the Oilers will likely have to give up one of the big 4 or this years 1st and possibly more which doesn't seem realistic. Face it, the odds of the Oilers landing an established true top pairing dman in the next year seem slim.

Edit: aka why not try to get a vezina winning goaltender to help stabilize the position for a couple of years? The Oilers have no cap issues next year so that seems irrelevant and then sign him to a more reasonable deal after? Obviously the deal has to be right but I can't see why the Oilers wouldn't want to improve there goaltending.

The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid Ranger View Post
Because Hiller is a shell and I don't think anyone really anticipated Fasth doing as well as he has? YMMV.
Hiller was great during the second half of last season. Probably why the rumors of us looking for a goalie died around that time.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote