Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins vs Penguins 3/12 @ 7:30 II

Old
03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
lopey

vCash: 500
One thing I get out of these collapses is that it shows we are lacking in depth scoring. We cannot rely on only the Bergy line to score goals. Horton and Lucic are just coasting right now, but I know they will wake up. We need another scorer on this team, and I think another DMan. I love Mcquaid, but he has been awful this year, as has Ference.

Chia and Neely are looking at this team right now as is and they know we need to make some changes, not drastic but they need another scorer and a solid Dman

I have faith they will get them

lopey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:57 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

People want to seemingly hang this game on a bad play or two, but really there were at least a dozen before the flurry of goals that could have and should have ended up in the net. The only difference is that Khudobin bailed them out on those. They left that guy out on an island and he nearly stole them the game. The effort was lacking, and they tried to just hang on. That never works against marginal teams let alone a team that can score. All said, it was a bad game for them, now it's time to move on. Next game is tomorrow. Hopefully they don't come out flat against Florida.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:57 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by lopey View Post
One thing I get out of these collapses is that it shows we are lacking in depth scoring. We cannot rely on only the Bergy line to score goals. Horton and Lucic are just coasting right now, but I know they will wake up. We need another scorer on this team, and I think another DMan. I love Mcquaid, but he has been awful this year, as has Ference.

Chia and Neely are looking at this team right now as is and they know we need to nake some changes, not drastic but they need another scorer and a solid Dman

Mcquaid and Ference combined with the 4th line in our end are just a disaster waiting to happen.

Here is how i would play the next couple of weeks. a. Johnson plays 6 games in a row and give every d-man a day off in succession, then go back to what we have now for next 6 games and then re-evaluate.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Goal #2 was even more condemning for that line imo. Too weak through the neutral zone. Too weak on the back check.

I understand Lucic fighting for the puck on the boards, but why in the hell are the other two moving away from their own end when the Pen has the puck on the boards?

That's bloody well inexcusable on both Krejci and Horton's part and lead directly to the back breaking goal. Lucic wasn't blameless either as the backcheck effort wasn't there from any of the three... so much for guilt being a strong motivator.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:58 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pie O My View Post
this thread is taking so much out of me that i'm going to have lay down for a few.
Uh-oh. Fatigue is setting in. We'd better gear up for an afternoon of sub par posts and dangling participles coming from you Pie...

Old
03-13-2013, 10:59 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Uh-oh. Fatigue is setting in. We'd better gear up for an afternoon of sub par posts and dangling participles coming from you Pie...
sounds like any other day to me.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:03 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
Goal #2 was even more condemning for that line imo. Too weak through the neutral zone. Too weak on the back check.

I understand Lucic fighting for the puck on the boards, but why in the hell are the other two moving away from their own end when the Pen has the puck on the boards?

That's bloody well inexcusable on both Krejci and Horton's part and lead directly to the back breaking goal. Lucic wasn't blameless either as the backcheck effort wasn't there from any of the three... so much for guilt being a strong motivator.
You mean why is Krejci skating towards the passing lane that the puck ended up going in? He needs to make a better play on the puck, but he positioned himself perfectly.

McQuaid was the real issue on that play. 3 on 2, wayyyyy too close to Ference, stumbles never commits and leaves the wing wide open. He made it unclear to Lucic which guy he was going to take, and it turned out they both went for the one in the middle.

MTaylorJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:04 AM
rfournier103

Quote:

Chia and Neely are looking at this team right now as is and they know we need to make some changes, not drastic but they need another scorer and a solid Dman

How long have the Bruins lacked scroing depth? In the 1980s, when Neely was a PLAYER, they were always 'one more goal scorer away.' I've been following the Bruins since the 80s, and as long as I can remember, they've been a defense-first team. Sure the offense has had periods of being 'hot,' but offensive consistancy has been lacking since the 1970s. Hasn't it?

rfournier103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:05 AM
DoubleAAAA

Quote:

On the ice for Goal 1 too weren't they?

DoubleAAAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:07 AM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Another CamFan81 classic .gif
OH man I spit out my coffee on that one lol

Old
03-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
You mean why is Krejci skating towards the passing lane that the puck ended up going in? He needs to make a better play on the puck, but he positioned himself perfectly.

McQuaid was the real issue on that play. 3 on 2, wayyyyy too close to Ference, stumbles never commits and leaves the wing wide open. He made it unclear to Lucic which guy he was going to take, and it turned out they both went for the one in the middle.
That's a hell of a risk on that play, especially when he can clearly see Horton doing the same. That's a decision that leads to a guaranteed odd man rush should the pass get through him (and it did), and therefore is no where near to being positioned perfectly. Positioned perfectly in that case is not engaging the passer (he knows both Lucic and Horton are already doing that) but instead falling back to give support to his defense should they fail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleAAAA View Post
On the ice for Goal 1 too weren't they?
Negative, that was the 4th line.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
That's a hell of a risk on that play, especially when he can clearly see Horton doing the same. That's a decision that leads to a guaranteed odd man rush should the pass get through him (and it did), and therefore is no where near to being positioned perfectly. Positioned perfectly in that case is not engaging the passer (he knows both Lucic and Horton are already doing that) but instead falling back to give support to his defense should they fail.

Negative, that was the 4th line.
He didn't engage the passer, he engaged the lane, which is the right play. In that position he's covering open ice and a passing option. Which is what happened, if he plays the puck correctly, it's an odd man rush. But he was positioned well. His handling of the puck was sloppy.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:13 AM
Regina

Man , I just hate that when there is absolutly zero hotties behind either bench .

And what the hell is Rask doing there , just sitting ?????

Regina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:18 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
He didn't engage the passer, he engaged the lane, which is the right play. In that position he's covering open ice and a passing option. Which is what happened, if he plays the puck correctly, it's an odd man rush. But he was positioned well. His handling of the puck was sloppy.
If he plays the puck perfectly, he is about 4 feet away from the passer after all. He could be standing anywhere a Penguin is not on that play and still be covering open ice, and in looking at the Pens spread most likely in or near a shooting lane.

That's a very very low percentage play and is in this system especially the wrong decision.

That's not even touching on Horton's positioning. He should be where Krejci is at the very least, instead he's off to see the wizard.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:20 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
If he plays the puck perfectly, he is about 4 feet away from the passer after all. He could be standing anywhere a Penguin is not on that play and still be covering open ice, and in looking at the Pens spread most likely in or near a shooting lane.

That's a very very low percentage play and is in this system especially the wrong decision.

That's not even touching on Horton's positioning. He should be where Krejci is at the very least, instead he's off to see the wizard.
That's not to absolve anyone on the ice besides Ference really. Krejci made a poor play on the puck, Horton's positioning was ...odd...at best...Lucic backchecked weekly and McQuaid did McQuaid things.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
That's not to absolve anyone on the ice besides Ference really. Krejci made a poor play on the puck, Horton's positioning was ...odd...at best...Lucic backchecked weekly and McQuaid did McQuaid things.
Agree completely with that.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:22 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
OH man I spit out my coffee on that one lol
Yeah you gotta be careful when you see his/her posts

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:23 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Yeah you gotta be careful when you see his/her posts
im so fugly people can't tell

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:24 AM
Ference the Finger
Ference is my binky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
im so fugly people can't tell
That happens when you're 14.

Ference the Finger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
bp13

Quote:
Exactly. He's a bad hop from a great steal. Played it perfectly just got a bad break.

And I can't believe we are hindsight nitpicking based on images.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:28 AM
RussellmaniaKW

all of this arguing about who did what wrong is missing the big picture which is that the Bruins got an early lead and almost completely stopped trying to score. They tried to play 50 minutes of keep-away to win the game, which requires them to play nearly perfect hockey and has got to be really mentally draining. It's the same trap they used to fall into before the 2010 Flyers series and I thought after 2011 that they had ditched that mentality but it is popping up again this year and that is the real reason they lost last night.

RussellmaniaKW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:30 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellmaniaKW View Post
all of this arguing about who did what wrong is missing the big picture which is that the Bruins got an early lead and almost completely stopped trying to score. They tried to play 50 minutes of keep-away to win the game, which requires them to play nearly perfect hockey and has got to be really mentally draining. It's the same trap they used to fall into before the 2010 Flyers series and I thought after 2011 that they had ditched that mentality but it is popping up again this year and that is the real reason they lost last night.
Hey! It's only taken 9 years, but we finally agree on something...

Old
03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Exactly. He's a bad hop from a great steal. Played it perfectly just got a bad break.

And I can't believe we are hindsight nitpicking based on images.
Nitpicking based on images of:

a 17-4-3 team
who lost by a goal
to the co-favorites in the East (granted without Malkin)
on the road
on the 2nd night of a B2B
on the 4th night of a 3 in 4.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
lopey

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfournier103 View Post
How long have the Bruins lacked scroing depth? In the 1980s, when Neely was a PLAYER, they were always 'one more goal scorer away.' I've been following the Bruins since the 80s, and as long as I can remember, they've been a defense-first team. Sure the offense has had periods of being 'hot,' but offensive consistancy has been lacking since the 1970s. Hasn't it?
The Stanley Cup team in 2011 had 3 scoring lines. We still have 8 out of 9 players here from that team (Bergy, Marshy, Lucic, Horty, Krej, Pevs, Kelly and Seguin) What we had that year was a goal scorer in Ryder (ok start the harrasing lol) We do not have that today. Thats what is missing IMO.