HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Another good Tortorella post-game interview

Old
03-13-2013, 07:28 PM
JWells16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
That's a neat trick - he managed to diss the players on both teams in one comment.
A unique gift where he can insult every single person except himself in one comment.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

It seems like a lot of you who are complaining about Tort's comments are just soft. I mean, really you think most professional athletes, grown men, are going to get their feelings hurt because their coach said they didn't play well in a loss one night to the media? Really? Torts goes strong in the opposite direction after good performances all the time. He's said of a few guys they have huge balls, his tiff with brooks was because torts took offense that the reporter was mocking redden for fighting. This idea that torts only says bad things all the time is a product of people who only tune in to the controversy. I guess him commending guys doesn't make main board thread material. That would actually be pretty funny, next time he says something really positive about his guys I'll make that into a thread so you can all get outraged about it

Torts wants them to get angry, they should be angry. They left two points on the ice and they know it. This is a motivational tactic. The fact that he said he doesn't give buffalo any credit, that means he's telling his boys they're better than buffalo. That's a compliment.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
It seems like a lot of you who are complaining about Tort's comments are just soft. I mean, really you think most professional athletes, grown men, are going to get their feelings hurt because their coach said they didn't play well in a loss one night to the media? Really? Torts goes strong in the opposite direction after good performances all the time. He's said of a few guys they have huge balls, his tiff with brooks was because torts took offense that the reporter was mocking redden for fighting. This idea that torts only says bad things all the time is a product of people who only tune in to the controversy. I guess him commending guys doesn't make main board thread material. That would actually be pretty funny, next time he says something really positive about his guys I'll make that into a thread so you can all get outraged about it

Torts wants them to get angry, they should be angry. They left two points on the ice and they know it. This is a motivational tactic. The fact that he said he doesn't give buffalo any credit, that means he's telling his boys they're better than buffalo. That's a compliment.
I don't think anyone cares what he said about his players. They are just showing that the idea that Tortorella is an *** to the media to deflect attention away from his player is BS since he threw his players under the bus while being an *** to the media. He has a responsibility as head coach to speak to the media. No need to treat everyone, especially Rosen who asked an innocent question like ****.

Beau Knows is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:51 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
I don't think anyone cares what he said about his players. They are just showing that the idea that Tortorella is an *** to the media to deflect attention away from his player is BS since he threw his players under the bus while being an *** to the media. He has a responsibility as head coach to speak to the media. No need to treat everyone, especially Rosen who asked an innocent question like ****.
I like Rosen, but he's a big boy. I'm sure he'll be fine.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
Hyack57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Let's do it this way.

McClellan to NY.

Tortorella to Philly.

Laviolette to San Jose.

I think those coaches suit these teams better than their present.
Vigneault is left to go where? LOL

Hyack57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:04 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
I like Rosen, but he's a big boy. I'm sure he'll be fine.
I'm sure he will, but why treat people like that? What does he gain or the Rangers gain from that? He's not trying to deflect attention from his players since he called them out and asked the reporters to go talk to them.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
I'm sure he will, but why treat people like that? What does he gain or the Rangers gain from that? He's not trying to deflect attention from his players since he called them out and asked the reporters to go talk to them.
I already answered how it helps the team like two posts up...

I'll add that Torts is an emotional guy, and he's an honest guy. So he'll often be blunt. For example instead of using coachspeak to hide a guy's injury Torts will say, I'm not giving you an update. After the winter classic with the piss poor officiating instead of doing the coachspeak bs he said what we were all thinking, I don't know if they wanted to put this thing into overtime, if they have meetings about that or what. I like that. Here instead of saying a lot of nothing, he gave you an honest assessment of how he felt. He was pissed at his team. The team knows he's not going to lie to them, and if you listen to most guys who have played for him they say they appreciated that. Because he'll say you played like **** when you did and then say you were awesome when you were. He's very fair.

As for Sam, Sam has covered Torts for a long time now, he knows it was nothing personal. MSG (the tv channel that covers the rangers and sam works for) actually loves Torts pressers, they have usually pushed it back towards the end of the postgame show to keep people watching. And so Torts is actually doing something his employers love.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:35 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

I think he's just a ****, no strategy to it.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
Kel Varnsen

Quote:
I think he's just a ****, no strategy to it.
He's the most honest coach in the league. Probably in all pro sports. Also I think 24/7 disputed the notion that he's just a bad guy.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:18 PM
Polo*

torts BS is getting old..I dont find him amusing nor do I take him seriously He seems he just does it for the cameras now.

Polo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:17 AM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Mike Babcock's post game interview tonight just shows you what a professional coach does in the same situation. He was visibly pissed, called out his team, yet didn't take it out on the media or act like they were ganging up on him.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:21 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by McFist View Post
Mike Babcock's post game interview tonight just shows you what a professional coach does in the same situation. He was visibly pissed, called out his team, yet didn't take it out on the media or act like they were ganging up on him.
Yeah but he's no fun.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:43 AM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
Yeah but he's no fun.
Ha. I think you and I differ on the definition of fun. I mean Babs certainly ain't fun, but Torts is getting pretty tiresome IMO.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:35 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Ha. I think you and I differ on the definition of fun. I mean Babs certainly ain't fun, but Torts is getting pretty tiresome IMO.
Actually, New Yorkers by and large are OK with folks who have a passionate desire to win every single day. I'm not up on a high horse. It's just the way it is. We also have a bunch of super PC folks that will get irked, but screw 'em.

Torts losses, he's pissed. He hates losing. Winning is the true satisfaction. I think most of us are OK with that. The smart one's anyway ; )

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:45 PM
Atwell 08

If I see tsn do ANOTHER torts top ten im gonna throw my tv out the window.

Atwell 08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:22 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwell 08 View Post
If I see tsn do ANOTHER torts top ten im gonna throw my tv out the window.
They recycle their top tens so much they might as well get rid of them until they have some new ideas. They are harder to escape now that Sportsnet added a top 5 which usually consisted of the same tired clips TSN shows.

Old
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
He's the most honest coach in the league. Probably in all pro sports. Also I think 24/7 disputed the notion that he's just a bad guy.
He's honest in that when he doesn't feel like answering a question, he doesn't do it. But it's not like he gives great, straightforward, honest answers.

Tortorella acts like the media is doing something outlandish by having the nerve to ask him questions. As was discussed earlier, that's a part of his job.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Lexus
OWN THE MOMENT.

Newest edition of SportsCentre Top 10 features Tortorella, and Tortorella only.

(Via: HWC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSSp9NbWsFY&hd=1

Lexus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:07 PM
haveandare

Holy overreaction. I can't believe people are still discussing this. NHL fans, speaking generally, tend to only talk about Torts when he does something unpopular. The Torts thread on HFNYR is a great example of it happening within our own fanbase. When the guy does something that people dislike, they wave their arms and yell about it. When he does something right, nobody says a word.

This video is not nearly the confrontation I expected from the way everyone is talking about it. He was pissed the team lost, and I'd guess, pissed about being asked the same "who wanted it more?" stupidity after every loss. Just like it's Torts' job to talk to the media, it's the media's job to ask decent and insightful questions and to approach the subject of their interviews in a way that will be constructive. There was a tiny breakdown between both parties here. Really not a big deal.

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:13 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Holy overreaction. I can't believe people are still discussing this. NHL fans, speaking generally, tend to only talk about Torts when he does something unpopular. The Torts thread on HFNYR is a great example of it happening within our own fanbase. When the guy does something that people dislike, they wave their arms and yell about it. When he does something right, nobody says a word.

This video is not nearly the confrontation I expected from the way everyone is talking about it. He was pissed the team lost, and I'd guess, pissed about being asked the same "who wanted it more?" stupidity after every loss. Just like it's Torts' job to talk to the media, it's the media's job to ask decent and insightful questions and to approach the subject of their interviews in a way that will be constructive. There was a tiny breakdown between both parties here. Really not a big deal.
So what's wrong with the media in NY that they are unable to ask good questions? I mean, no other coach has a problem with the questions they are asked in other markets... hell, why aren't visiting coaches up in arms about the ridiculous questions they are asked when they are in NY?

I see people keep throwing out the "it's the media's fault, they need to ask better questions" and I don't get it. What do you want them to ask? If they ask Tortorella something specific, he says "none of your business." If they ask him something general (who wanted it more?), he flips out.

This has nothing to do with the media and everything to do with Tortorella. Whether you think he's doing it on purpose or is just a crybaby can be debated but c'mon, stop with the media's not asking good questions crap. The "who wanted it more?" is a question that almost every single losing coach in the league is asked every single game... yet everyone but Tortorella is able to respond professionally without giving away company secrets..

DevilChuk* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:20 PM
azaloum90

Its not all on torts... he is a solid coach and has won 2 cups, and got the rangers to the conference finals last year...

This lockout has destroyed the chemistry of his team... not everything can be blamed on him...

Regardless, I like that torts tells it like it is... same with the players.. actually accepting the fault for their loss... unlike Cindy Crosby who has to blame games on bad breaks and bouncing pucks...

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:23 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexus View Post
Newest edition of SportsCentre Top 10 features Tortorella, and Tortorella only.

(Via: HWC)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSSp9NbWsFY&hd=1
Perfect example.

Tortorella is wholly unprofessional. You can't get around there. I've never seen a coach curse more in front of the media.. or on LIVE television (clip 8).

What did the media do wrong in clip 7? He walked in and said I'm not answering any questions.. did someone catch him in the hall with a bad question or something?

Oh, love the whole hypocrisy going on over there also Hitchcock shouldn't trash talk his players (clip 2) but it's okay for Tortorella to trash talk Joe Thornton (clip 9) and Malkin/Crosby/Penguins (clip 6).

He may be a good hockey coach but he's an ******* and I certainly wouldn't want him representing my state/city.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:25 PM
azaloum90

Quote:
The fact that Babcock is not part of NY is why Babcock doesn't handle things like torts does... NYers do not want to be pushed around... its a completely different environment.

azaloum90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:26 PM
DevilChuk*
(not that -chuk)

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
The fact that Babcock is not part of NY is why Babcock doesn't handle things like torts does... NYers do not want to be pushed around... its a completely different environment.
Tortorella isn't from NY and treated the media the same way when he coached in Tampa Bay.

This has nothing to do with NY attitude..

Old
03-14-2013, 03:40 PM
Beau Knows
Captain Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by azaloum90 View Post
Its not all on torts... he is a solid coach and has won 2 cups, and got the rangers to the conference finals last year...

This lockout has destroyed the chemistry of his team... not everything can be blamed on him...

Regardless, I like that torts tells it like it is... same with the players.. actually accepting the fault for their loss... unlike Cindy Crosby who has to blame games on bad breaks and bouncing pucks...
Have you played hockey before? So many games come down to bounces and bad/good breaks. You can't overreact to every loss, if you lose because of a bad bounce or break but play a great game than there is no need to overreact.