HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Bridgeport SoundTigers Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Beastrt

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volek25 View Post
I realize this is gonna sound like hearsay or made up without any proof, so I understand if you guys write this off, but my good buddy coaches Dougie Weight's son out on LI and has been over his house a few times, they talk Isles hockey and stuff. First thing my friend told me was that Weight absolutely hates Nino. To the point where he said Weight would want to call him up just to bury Nino on the 4th line. He said he doesn't like Nino's attitude, work ethic and just overall presence to the game. I was pretty shocked to hear that coming from Weight. I'm not sure if this reflects the thoughts of the other coaches or Snow, but I'm telling you, my buddy couldn't believe how much Weight talked badly of Nino...
Even if this is true, i think the problem here is either way the islanders have no choice but to play him top 6 mins next year. One reason is they need to see what he has got, he can score goals but it seems he needs to play with playmakers he is not creating anything on his own. Right now he has no trade value, he has to do something in the nhl before we can get any kind of good player for him. Or if he plays really well we can just keep him. The big question is where does he fit?

Old
04-04-2013, 05:33 PM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
Even if this is true, i think the problem here is either way the islanders have no choice but to play him top 6 mins next year. One reason is they need to see what he has got, he can score goals but it seems he needs to play with playmakers he is not creating anything on his own. Right now he has no trade value, he has to do something in the nhl before we can get any kind of good player for him. Or if he plays really well we can just keep him. The big question is where does he fit?
Whether Weight's feelings are true or not doesn't matter.

Coaches should play players who help them win, whether they like them or not.

The Islanders owe Nino NOTHING. If anything, Nino's already got more than he's earned by being paid an NHL salary for a whole season, while playing at a sub-NHL level!

The Islanders have EVERY choice not to play Nino at all, let alone top six minutes. When did Nino earned that gift exactly? Because of where he was drafted? Like Kyle Beach?

Maybe Nino and his agent have it all backwards....maybe, his on-ice play should dictate if/when he's playing in the NHL? If he plays better, not just scoring goals, then maybe the Isles can justify sitting someone in favour of a call-up, like they've done already with other, more deserving players (like Cizikas, Ullstrom).

In terms of trade value, I'd suggest Nino's value is as high or higher than it's ever been. He's given no reason to suggest he's not developing as HOPED, probably ahead of schedule relative to most prospects. Even in the 2010 draft, besides Jeff Skinner and Taylor/Tyler, has anyone really differentiated themselves?

Cam Flowler's been "okay" but is still terrible defensively, just awful. He's a -5, worst on the team, no goals and seven assists on one of the best teams in the NHL.

If Weight or Snow or Wang want to move Nino, I'm fairly sure they can get value for him, as they would any top prospect. He's very well regarded BUT he's still no lock for the NHL NOR a scoring winger in the NHL. Long way to go.

His play without the puck was poor last year. He was completely ineffective WITH the puck too - absolutely zero vision/hockey sense, terrible passer, clearly ineffective with the lack of time/space at the NHL level - he really struggled. Seems like he's not improved much on that aspect while in the AHL - based on first hand reports from those who have seen him play.

But he can score. And he's scoring. That's why he was drafted, for those NHL hands and his size.

But there's much work ahead of him and guaranteed minutes in the NHL shouldn't exist. And draft position means NOTHING. Brenden Gallagher won a job at camp and has been amazing this year in Montreal. Same for top five pick Galchenyuk but Gallagher's been the better of the two.

For now, anyway.

(as an aside, I think Galchenyuk might become, one day, the best player in that draft - obviously too soon to tell, but he's got some real skill. Just a little outmatched in the NHL right now)

Old
04-04-2013, 05:36 PM
seafoam
Evening / Morning

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by periferal View Post
The way you've written this it actually feels like it has some merit, but truly it does seem VERY hard to believe that anyone on the Islanders coaching staff would keep Nino up on the NHL squad at the expense of a roster spot (job) from another player while potentially messing up team chemistry all to *teach* a 19 year old a lesson. The Islanders front office is bad, but I refuse to believe vendictively stupid bad. And if Nino is truly a team cancer/has an attitude, then there is no better message to send him to the AHL and simply scratch him. That's what they would have done.

What's shocking to me is hearing people hear speak about Nino having an "attitude problem." That is 100% contrary to the scouting reports on him coming into the 2010 draft along with how he led the Swiss team in the world juniors back then. Plus if you've ever heard him speak in interviews or follow his comments on Twitter not for a second do I get a vibe that he isn't a nice young kid who just wants to play and win.

And as far as Nino's agent requesting a trade earlier this hear for Nino being put back in the AHL, I have three comments:
  1. The Isles 100% created and blew that scenario by having Nino "play" in the NHL last year. He should have been in the AHL all season and he probably would have been ready to play this year. He was given a taste of first-class life, but not given a fair shot so who wouldn't then be totally angry about having to go to the minor leagues? There was ZERO point to keeping a 19 year old who needs to develop off the ice. He needed to be playing somewhere.
  2. We don't know if Nino had anything to do with that request or it was totally his agent.
  3. And even if Nino did filter a message through his agent I can completely understand a true competitor wanting a fair shot in the big leagues which he wasn't given last year.

I am still VERY high on Nino and think he's going to be a very good NHL player in a few years. I just really hope it's with the Islanders.
Scratching him would totally diminish his trade value. Plus, DiPi isn't being scratched in Bridgeport, and we all know he has been the Islanders' cancer. I would even go as far as saying DiPi is the reason the Isles are in a playoff hunt.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Well Ullstrom would have to clear waivers for that to happen, I don't think the Islanders subject him to that. This should be Ullstroms last trip to Bridgeport.

Strome, well like I have said, if he puts up ridiculous numbers in these 10 games and has a good camp, this may very well be his one and only trip to Bridgeport.

Rakhshani signed with another SEL club for next season, he isn't coming back to go to Bridgeport.

Perhaps you meant Koskinen (not Nilsson (whom is already here, and not leaving)) I can see Koskinen coming over for camp to challenge for a spot on the Islanders, but if not, I think he goes back home rather than stay for the logjam in Bridgeport.

Nelson and Nino are wildcards, I could possibly see either earning a spot right away, but agree Bridgeport is where they should begin next season, barring a great camp from one or both.

This leads me to Matt Donovan (who by the way, I am SOOOO glad is finally getting the recognition he deserves on this board. It only took a 4 point day to do it but I'll take it). Matt Donovan might very well be the best all-around defenceman in the AHL right now as a 22 year old. He is the same age as Travis Hamonic and was drafted in the same year. Why are people so afraid to bring this kid up right now or next season. HE IS READY, and has been. I had to listen to Doug Weight and folks on this board talk about Jon Landry and him being the best defenceman in Bridgeport a few months ago (because at the time Landry had 1 more point) anyone who watched more than 2 or 3 Bridgeport games this season knows that isn't true and never was, and that goes for Mr Weight as well. Matt Donovan is the same type defenceman as Tom Hickey, only he is a little bit bigger, plays a bit bigger, just as strong on his skates, as a much bigger shot and quicker release. He was voted as a STARTING Defenceman to the All-Star game on a Bridgeport team that mostly this season was Bad to (VERY Bad) at times. I don't know if Donovan will have the same amount of success as Hickey next season, a lot of that depends on aptitude of NHL Scheme and adaptation to the speed of the NHL game and 1,000 other factors that you can not predict. But his skill-set is very good, and has been developed as much as it could be in the amateur and professional (below NHL) ranks. He's won his Gold medals in WJC and achieved his All-Star selections in the USHL, NCAA AND AHL levels all by the age of 22. If he starts next season in Bridgeport it will be a mistake.

And FWIW I don't think Aron Ness should be on that list, I don't want to be mean but he hasn't developed at all, and wasn't that good to begin with. I hate beating up prospects and being negative on message boards but unfortunately it just isn't happening for Ness.
I thought I was a lone on the Donovan front. Everyone has/had this love affair with deHaan and Donovan has been better than him on all aspect of the game. Why he isn't higher on hte depth chart in peoples minds is beyond me. I've been clamouring for Donovan for 2 years now. He should be on this team in 13-14.

Old
04-04-2013, 05:56 PM
cjdv16

Don't look now but here come the Strome-led Tigers. (soon to be Strome-led Islanders)

Old
04-04-2013, 06:04 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
I thought I was a lone on the Donovan front. Everyone has/had this love affair with deHaan and Donovan has been better than him on all aspect of the game. Why he isn't higher on hte depth chart in peoples minds is beyond me. I've been clamouring for Donovan for 2 years now. He should be on this team in 13-14.
I really think donovan is one of the few prospects that garth would trade. Where is he gonna play? I would honestly not sign Streit but he is said to be close to an extension. Could they trade donovan and a first rounder for a second line center?

Streit-viz
mcdonald-hamonic
strait- carkner
hickey-reinhart
dehaan-ness

Old
04-04-2013, 07:40 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Quote:
I really think donovan is one of the few prospects that garth would trade. Where is he gonna play? I would honestly not sign Streit but he is said to be close to an extension. Could they trade donovan and a first rounder for a second line center?

Streit-viz
mcdonald-hamonic
strait- carkner
hickey-reinhart
dehaan-ness
Id trade both Ness and de Haan before Donovan.

Old
04-04-2013, 07:50 PM
SI90

Quote:
agree...

I hope the Strome-port Nelson-Tigers make the playoffs...

Old
04-04-2013, 08:00 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
For real. For all the guys that haven't had a chance to see many Bridgeport games..... Please take Aaron Ness out of all potential future Islander line-ups. It's not going to happen, EVER.

Next Years D:

L.Visnovsky-Hamonic
Hickey-Strait
Donovan-MacDonald
Carkner

Sorry guys, unless Reinhart improves his skating over the summer by leaps and bounds, he isn't making the Islanders as a 19 year old.

Quote:
Well from what I can gather, you and I are two of the very few people (if not the only two people) on this board that watch Every single Sound Tiger game. So there is that. People fall in love with higher draft picks, statistics and scouting reports written by good knows who, god knows how long ago, and by people that have seen those player play possibly a handful of games. I'm still laughing at the Hockeys future scouting reports that were recently posted, so many errors, I have to wonder how often the writer watched any of these kids play.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:04 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
For real. For all the guys that haven't had a chance to see many Bridgeport games..... Please take Aaron Ness out of all potential future Islander line-ups. It's not going to happen, EVER.

Next Years D:

L.Visnovsky-Hamonic
Hickey-Strait
Donovan-MacDonald
Carkner
But what if Streit re-signs?

Last edited by PWJunior: 04-04-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old
04-04-2013, 09:54 PM
InformTheMasses

[QUOTE=Beastrt;63324343]
Quote:

Next Years D:

L.Visnovsky-Hamonic
Hickey-Strait
Donovan-MacDonald
Carkner

./QUOTE]

But what if Streit re-signs?
That's precisely the reason why I wouldn't sign Streit. Looking at that Defense, the only guy I would consider Streit better than is Carkner and maybe Macdonald. And at 5MM per season at age 36, for a team whose annual budget is 35 Million, it's a horrible use of money.

If Streit re-signs I guess Donovan goes back for his final year in the AHL, but then what? And why does Donovan go back, as an AHL Rookie last year he was 4th in defenceman scoring, and made the AHL All Rookie Team. This year, he was a starter in the All Star game, and in my opinion is the AHLs best all around defenceman and 3rd leading scorer among defenceman. What else does he need to prove? Do we want him to brake AHL records next season before we ask him to possibly replace a 36 year old defenceman with a +/- rating near the bottom of the NHL?

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Old
04-04-2013, 09:58 PM
InformTheMasses

Todays Sound Tiger Highlights...... Interesting that they used Strome on the Point on the PP today (didn't see that ever in Niagara, or almost never). Diamond-Nelson-Nino-Donovan-Strome was the big unit on a magic PP today. PP was pretrty bad before Strome (and Diamond) walked through the door (one of the worst actually).

Old
04-04-2013, 10:01 PM
Brain Hemorrhage

Quote:

That's precisely the reason why I wouldn't sign Streit. Looking at that Defense, the only guy I would consider Streit better than is Carkner and maybe Macdonald. And at 5MM per season at age 36, for a team whose annual budget is 35 Million, it's a horrible use of money.

If Streit re-signs I guess Donovan goes back for his final year in the AHL, but then what? And why does Donovan go back, as an AHL Rookie last year he was 4th in defenceman scoring, and made the AHL All Rookie Team. This year, he was a starter in the All Star game, and in my opinion is the AHLs best all around defenceman and 3rd leading scorer among defenceman. What else does he need to prove? Do we want him to brake AHL records next season before we ask him to possibly replace a 36 year old defenceman with a +/- rating near the bottom of the NHL?

Donovan a better all around defenseman than Paul Ranger?

Old
04-04-2013, 10:08 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Hemorrhage View Post
Donovan a better all around defenseman than Paul Ranger?
To be honest, I forgot about him. I mean, he's an NHL defenceman and a good one, who just happens to be playing in the AHL.

Old
04-05-2013, 07:06 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:

Next Years D:

L.Visnovsky-Hamonic
Hickey-Strait
Donovan-MacDonald
Carkner

Sorry guys, unless Reinhart improves his skating over the summer by leaps and bounds, he isn't making the Islanders as a 19 year old.

Well from what I can gather, you and I are two of the very few people (if not the only two people) on this board that watch Every single Sound Tiger game. So there is that. People fall in love with higher draft picks, statistics and scouting reports written by good knows who, god knows how long ago, and by people that have seen those player play possibly a handful of games. I'm still laughing at the Hockeys future scouting reports that were recently posted, so many errors, I have to wonder how often the writer watched any of these kids play.
Reinhart"s skating and I agree needs work. My question is what is everyone else watching, all I hear is Reinhart is not mean enough. Guess he has to put someone through the boards every time to be mean enough.

With Donovan looking ready, Strait back next season, how would you spend the money if Streit does not come back, a right wing for Tavares?

Old
04-05-2013, 08:14 AM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Reinhart"s skating and I agree needs work. My question is what is everyone else watching, all I hear is Reinhart is not mean enough. Guess he has to put someone through the boards every time to be mean enough.

With Donovan looking ready, Strait back next season, how would you spend the money if Streit does not come back, a right wing for Tavares?
They'll save it. We'll need to pay Bailey, Hamonic, Hickey and Nabby (he'll want a raise I imagine).

Possibly upgrade that Reasoner spot on our roster.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:21 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

Its a really good question, there will certainly be extra money laying around. Even after ullstrom and poulin are retained at modest raises. Then there are extensions that will be worked out for Hamonic and Bailey and Hickey. How much extra dough they get remains to be seen but it won't be enough to make up for the money potentially walking out the door.

While I am very sensitive to the wingers for Tavares movement ( truthfully I am at my wits end watching Boyes and Moulson on a number 1 NHL line. Its painfully obvious that it is killing Tavares. That said I wouldn't over spend to sign a pricey winger that another franchise has allowed to reach free agency. The Islanders while close are not at that point yet. Also I suspect the answer to that problem is right under our noses as the majority of the islanders NHL ready talent are forwards. I let that play out before I write a big check for who knows how many years to a UFA.

Instead I probably shoot for the moon and throw a max contract at pietreangelo. I would expect st Louis to resign him before he goes RFA or match any offer but I try. If by some miracle he signs and st Louis let's him walk, I shop and trade amac. People don't like the islanders undersized defense but hickey, strait and Donovan are strong on their skates and don't get man handled at least not like streit and amac do, those would be my first two defence man to leave.

If we are still living in the real world and st Louis keeps their franchise dman I turn my attention to goal and try and sign Howard or Backstrom and sure up that spot until one of koskinin, Nilsson, Poulin prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they are ready for NHL #1 duty.

Old
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:

Its a really good question, there will certainly be extra money laying around. Even after ullstrom and poulin are retained at modest raises. Then there are extensions that will be worked out for Hamonic and Bailey. How much extra dough they get remains to be seen but it won't be enough to make up for the money potentially walking out the door.

While I am very sensitive to the wingers for Tavares movement ( truthfully I am at my wits end watching Boyes and Moulson on a number 1 NHL line. Its painfully obvious that it is killing Tavares. That said I wouldn't over spend to sign a pricey winger that another franchise has allowed to reach free agency. The Islanders while close are not at that point yet. Also I suspect the answer to that problem is right under our noses as the majority of the islanders NHL ready talent are forwards. I let that play out before I write a big check for who knows how many years to a UFA.

Instead I probably shoot for the moon and throw a max contract at pietreangelo. I would expect st Louis to resign him before he goes RFA or match any offer but I try. If by some miracle he signs and st Louis let's him walk, I shop and trade amac. People don't like the islanders undersized defense but hickey, strait and Donovan are strong on their skates and don't get man handled at least not like streit and amac do, those would be my first two defence man leave.

If we are still living in the real world and st Louis keeps their franchise dmsn I turn my attention to goal and try and sign Howard or Backs from and sure up that spot until one of koskinin, Nilsson, Poulin prove beyond a reasonable doubt that they are ready for NHL #1 duty

Old
04-05-2013, 09:32 AM
cjdv16

Donovan's ready. He's a 3rd pairing NHL dman at the moment with loads of room to grow. I can see him part of the 2nd pair by mid-to-late next year with some more NHL experience under his belt.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:06 AM
BelovedIsles

Send a message via AIM to BelovedIsles
Quote:

Next Years D:

L.Visnovsky-Hamonic
Hickey-Strait
Donovan-MacDonald
Carkner
IMHO, that defense still needs an in-his-prime top-4 D man for this team to take the 'next step.' Defense has been a major weakness (which is probably a function of coaching too) for this team and could be the difference in securing a playoff spot.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:10 AM
duster19

[QUOTE=InformTheMasses;63330337]
Quote:

Why they didnt give Donovan a look earlier in the yr I have no idea. He could very well have been capable of replacing streit, who could have been moved at the deadline.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
IMHO, that defense still needs an in-his-prime top-4 D man for this team to take the 'next step.' Defense has been a major weakness (which is probably a function of coaching too) for this team and could be the difference in securing a playoff spot.
mcdonald is the guy that,needs replacing. Hes not good enough to play #1 mins. the Isles have toany bottom end dmen.

Last edited by duster19: 04-05-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old
04-05-2013, 10:15 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelovedIsles View Post
Agreed but they drafted the defencemen on the last phase of the rebuild. So we have to wait for them to develop. None are readily available in UFA. I think its a good enough d to get by with and grow for the 2 more years we wait for the youngsters yo come up. I think we are a couple seasons away from making that blockbuster trade to acquire one as well.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:54 AM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster19 View Post
Nationals is the guy that,needs replacing. Hes not good enough to play #1 mins. the Isles have toany bottom end dmen.
Yeah, you're totally right. "Nationals" really sucks, he's invisible out there.

(I know this was an iPhone auto-correct but I can't even guess who you're talking about, so I'll mock)

Old
04-05-2013, 10:58 AM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Yeah, you're totally right. "Nationals" really sucks, he's invisible out there.

(I know this was an iPhone auto-correct but I can't even guess who you're talking about, so I'll mock)
I hear Andrew MacDonald is very patriotic.

Closed Thread