HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Bridgeport SoundTigers Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
04-05-2013, 11:59 AM
redbull
2k17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Agreed but they drafted the defencemen on the last phase of the rebuild. So we have to wait for them to develop. None are readily available in UFA. I think its a good enough d to get by with and grow for the 2 more years we wait for the youngsters yo come up. I think we are a couple seasons away from making that blockbuster trade to acquire one as well.
unless it's Seth Jones. But not this year, thankfully!

I seriously doubt they'll get anywhere near Pietrangelo. I'd be happy with an Erik Johnson/Jack Johnson-type pick-up - Keith Yandle being one to target.

But I think that answer might be in the organization already - in the form of Reinhart. I think he can be that big shutdown great passing dman the Isles really need.....a bigger Kenny Jonsson.

Balance that with what Pedan/Pelech/Mayfield/Donovan/deHaan can bring and there's enough there to make a pretty good crop of eight. Hamonic, MacDonald, Hickey, Visnovsky, Streit, Strait are around as well.

Old
04-05-2013, 12:00 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
But what if Streit re-signs?
You think he'll stay?

Once I read he'd rejected 3 yrs/$15m, I'd pretty much written off his return next season.

Old
04-05-2013, 01:38 PM
SI90

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You think he'll stay?

Once I read he'd rejected 3 yrs/$15m, I'd pretty much written off his return next season.
I agree,

I am also shocked he rejected that...He must really think he can make more...

If im the Isles I take that deal off the table and if he wants to come back it will have to be for less than that..

Old
04-05-2013, 01:47 PM
duster19

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
Yeah, you're totally right. "Nationals" really sucks, he's invisible out there.

(I know this was an iPhone auto-correct but I can't even guess who you're talking about, so I'll mock)
Ha! I meant amac...

Old
04-05-2013, 10:28 PM
StumpNYI

Has Kabanov been in the lineup at all? Haven't heard much about him lately.

Old
04-05-2013, 10:29 PM
luki here

kiril was a healthy scratch last game.

Old
04-05-2013, 11:27 PM
onesinceforty

They are ALL (Not just KK but all the prospects) going to realize that with the increase in overall organizational depth that playing time and spots have to be earned. Work hard, produce, follow the program you will be rewarded. There are going to be some carcasses along the road. That is a good thing. We are in a way better position with the prospects coming along. For every Kichton we sign, maybe it works, maybe it does not but you will not have a guy dogging it or not giving his full attention to the Coaches. Sorry Kirill, produce or sit. Same with Dehaan. No offense but stay healthy or sit. Nillson, take your vitamins or sit. Depth gives the real opportunity for cream to rise and the sludge to sink. I think GM Garfy has done a good job with this part of his job. For example, Donovan better than Kessell he stayed, Nelson better than Gregoire and he stays. KK had better put the biscuit in the basket or he will be eating cotton candy in the stands until he moves on.

Last edited by onesinceforty: 04-05-2013 at 11:33 PM.
Old
04-06-2013, 07:04 AM
BillD

Real promising center Johan Sundstrom has been pretty quiet on the scoresheet since his return from a lenghty recovery from concussion.
Is he ok or does he have any lingering effects? How is he playing and why no scoring?

John Persson missed a bunch of games with some injury also, and he has been quiet since his recent return. What was the injury and is he still dealing with effects as he has stopped scoring?

Inform the Masses, anybody know?

Old
04-06-2013, 08:38 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Real promising center Johan Sundstrom has been pretty quiet on the scoresheet since his return from a lenghty recovery from concussion.
Is he ok or does he have any lingering effects? How is he playing and why no scoring?

John Persson missed a bunch of games with some injury also, and he has been quiet since his recent return. What was the injury and is he still dealing with effects as he has stopped scoring?

Inform the Masses, anybody know?
It took Sundstrom a few games yo get his game back but he has looked good as far as I am concerned. Looks like the same Sundstrom before the injury.

Person has been quiet, not sure if it is injury related or just a slump. The second half of the season for Bridgeport has been nothing but roster and line shuffling. I think the chemistry got twisted up. It happens.

I still think Person can be a decent 4 th liner in the NHL after a couple more seasons in Bridgeport. I still have high hopes for Sumdstrom. Might be my favorite player on the sound tigers through the first 65 games.

Old
04-06-2013, 09:51 AM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Balance that with what Pedan/Pelech/Mayfield/Donovan/deHaan can bring and there's enough there to make a pretty good crop of eight.
Don't hold your breath for next year or the year after...

What about now?

Old
04-06-2013, 12:47 PM
mczerkawski21

Going to the game tonight. Cant wait to see Pedan and Strome. Curious to see how "edgy" Andrei's game really is. To bad I'm missing Mayfield by a few days.

Old
04-06-2013, 12:51 PM
BennyBST

Every year I always put tons of emphasis on depth. I would love to see Diamond get an AHL contract for next season, from what I've seen of him I've loved. He's truly a mini-power forward, and doesn't back down from larger opponents.

I also would like to see Hill re-signed, who has had some offensive flash when he plays as a forward. The same has to go for Kenny Reiter who has played very well in his last starts but hasn't gotten any goal support.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:06 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBST View Post
Every year I always put tons of emphasis on depth. I would love to see Diamond get an AHL contract for next season, from what I've seen of him I've loved. He's truly a mini-power forward, and doesn't back down from larger opponents.
Diamond does look good. He reminds me of a young Keith Aucoin, when he first broke into the AHL as a much younger man. I mean that as a compliment, Aucoin was a terrific AHL player. While I'm tired of watching Keith Aucoin on the Isles this year, I still do think he is a decent 13th forward, and in spots can help a team even at age 34, and I always respected his game in the AHL. Diamond has a lot of the same qualities, I'm rooting for the kid, it's like watching 'Rudy on Ice'

Old
04-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Pedan makes his debut tonight. Mayfield on Tuesday.

Old
04-06-2013, 01:42 PM
Degeneration Rex

If the Islanders did not have a game Tuesday, it would have really been tempting to make a trip to watch Bridgeport play.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 04-06-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old
04-06-2013, 02:12 PM
redbull
2k17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Don't hold your breath for next year or the year after...

What about now?
Bridgeport's defense is a disaster, would have been even worse if Snow doesn't grab Hickey, Strait, Finley off waivers and Visnovsky doesn't report.

I think this is the last season the Isles defense, in both Bridgeport and the NYI is a problem. I'd say the NHL defense, as it is now, is a good one. Even if Streit walks, I think next year's defense will be good.

And so will Bridgeport's.

Isles are coming along in their game and depth.

Strome Nelson Lee and Donovan are close.

Nino Sundstrom and deHaan are not far behind.

Then, the rest. That's a pretty solid wave of prospects.

Old
04-06-2013, 02:20 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Bridgeport's defense is a disaster, would have been even worse if Snow doesn't grab Hickey, Strait, Finley off waivers and Visnovsky doesn't report.

I think this is the last season the Isles defense, in both Bridgeport and the NYI is a problem. I'd say the NHL defense, as it is now, is a good one. Even if Streit walks, I think next year's defense will be good.

And so will Bridgeport's.

Isles are coming along in their game and depth.

Strome Nelson Lee and Donovan are close.

Nino Sundstrom and deHaan are not far behind.
Also Koskinen, Nilsson, Poulin are somewhere in between those two groups. I'm excited to see some legit defenceman in Bridgeport. Should make it a lot easier to see exactly where our goaltenders are and what we have. This season it was nearly impossible to get a feel for Goaltending given what was playing in front of them. I'm still of the belief that Kichton is a must sign for Bridgeport purposes.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:09 PM
BillD

Quote:
It took Sundstrom a few games yo get his game back but he has looked good as far as I am concerned. Looks like the same Sundstrom before the injury.

Person has been quiet, not sure if it is injury related or just a slump. The second half of the season for Bridgeport has been nothing but roster and line shuffling. I think the chemistry got twisted up. It happens.

I still think Person can be a decent 4 th liner in the NHL after a couple more seasons in Bridgeport. I still have high hopes for Sumdstrom. Might be my favorite player on the sound tigers through the first 65 games.
Thanks dude. Sundstrom has the size and toolkit that projecys to a very fine, effective all around 2-way center/wing in the NHL. His defense ability sets him apart at this stage, and his offense has surprised.

Persson I see as a possible Matt Moulson type at worst, but probably with more defensive effort and physical presence along the boards and forecheck. Big, strong kid (much bigger than Moulson) with a scoring touch, just needs to keep progressing and have a center that can get him pucks to deposit.

Old
04-06-2013, 04:35 PM
InformTheMasses

For the people that care about Sweater Numbers (like me)

Pedan will be wearing #19 (Interesting as there is no Sound Tiger currently wearing #3 which he wore in Guelph of OHL).

Mayfield will be wearing #10. He wore #2 at Denver U. (Dallas Jackson currently wears #2. So it's possible he switches back to #2 next year.

Most of you probably already know Strome is wearing #18 like he has pretty much everywhere else.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:05 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
For the people that care about Sweater Numbers (like me)

Pedan will be wearing #19 (Interesting as there is no Sound Tiger currently wearing #3 which he wore in Guelph of OHL).

Mayfield will be wearing #10. He wore #2 at Denver U. (Dallas Jackson currently wears #2. So it's possible he switches back to #2 next year.

Most of you probably already know Strome is wearing #18 like he has pretty much everywhere else.
But all indications lead to Strome wearing #8 in his NHL career. Has worn it in the prospect camps and pre-season games, and I believe he said something on twitter last year or the year before that he'd wear #8 in the NHL. And there hasn't been a #18 on the Islanders since Mike Sillinger, if I remember correctly.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:09 PM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Thanks dude. Sundstrom has the size and toolkit that projecys to a very fine, effective all around 2-way center/wing in the NHL. His defense ability sets him apart at this stage, and his offense has surprised.

Persson I see as a possible Matt Moulson type at worst, but probably with more defensive effort and physical presence along the boards and forecheck. Big, strong kid (much bigger than Moulson) with a scoring touch, just needs to keep progressing and have a center that can get him pucks to deposit.
I love perssons game but the comparison to moulson is a stretch. Persson = hardy, moulson = sneaky. Very different types who both happen to score down low.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:52 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
But all indications lead to Strome wearing #8 in his NHL career. Has worn it in the prospect camps and pre-season games, and I believe he said something on twitter last year or the year before that he'd wear #8 in the NHL. And there hasn't been a #18 on the Islanders since Mike Sillinger, if I remember correctly.
Nah Micheal Haley wore 18 last year, and when Haley left, Strome took over #18.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
Nah Micheal Haley wore 18 last year, and when Haley left, Strome took over #18.
When was that? I don't remember seeing Strome wear #18 in an Islanders uniform.

Old
04-06-2013, 06:58 PM
Backhand of Justice
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
When was that? I don't remember seeing Strome wear #18 in an Islanders uniform.
This training camp. Plus, the Isles website lists him as #18.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476458

Old
04-06-2013, 07:04 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLio21093 View Post
This training camp. Plus, the Isles website lists him as #18.

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8476458
Good enough for me. Thanks. I like #18 on him better than #8 anyway.

Closed Thread