HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Bridgeport SoundTigers Discussion Part III

Closed Thread

Old
03-30-2013, 11:34 AM
InformTheMasses

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I think several things scream out at me about Nelson. First is his hands, excellent hands, also his size, he certainly uses it to his advantage. Though not super fast, he's a smooth and somewhat elusive skater. Last, but certainly not least, his hockey IQ, it's off the charts, he seems to do everything right instinctively, he's at the right place at the right time.

One thing I really like about Nelson is, no matter what league, there seems to be a short adjustment time, and then he just gets it, and starts producing. I really think after a short adjustment period in the NHL, he will figure it out, and be a productive NHL player for years. By productive, I mean above average NHL forward, probably average around 60 points a year with a ceiling of 70+ points. I really think that highly of Nelson. And he's done nothing up to this point to make me think otherwise.
I think what PWJ meant (and I tend to agree) is that Nelson doesn't currently have any abilities that are elite on an NHL level. His hands are probably his best asset, and as you said they are very good. He actually is a very good skater, and Super fast when you factor in his length and how much ground he can cover.

As far as using his body (height) to his advantage, he does so with his stick and is always getting in passing and shooting lanes. However, for being 6'4" he still has a ways to go as far as filling out and being strong on his skates and using his body to his advantage physically. As far as his physical play and his work along the boards is concerned, if it stays where it is, people are going to kill him on the ice, and then board members are going to kill him on the boards. He must improve there. I hope he hits the weight room hard again.

I really like him as a player though, and can see him growing into a bit of a leader, his defensive game is outstanding for someone with his age and experience. I think your point total guesstimates are pretty good. Strome's window is somewhere between (Couture and Turris). I think Nelson is a Travis Zajac clone and if everything goes right maybe a Ryan Kesler type, but a lot of things have to go right for that to happen, thats a best case scenerio.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:10 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Phantoms put one past DiPietro 40 seconds into the game.

Old
03-30-2013, 07:28 PM
Isles Enforcer

Send a message via AIM to Isles Enforcer Send a message via Yahoo to Isles Enforcer
Soundtigers down 3-0. Jon Sim just scored on DP. UGH!

EDIT: 4-0

Last edited by Isles Enforcer: 03-30-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Chapin Landvogt
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isles Enforcer View Post
Soundtigers down 3-0. Jon Sim just scored on DP. UGH!

EDIT: 4-0
Yikes - even in the AHL, ex-Isles haunt this organization...

Old
03-30-2013, 07:45 PM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
I am currently at the game, this is painful DP skated out and above the point and went into the boards, was out of the net and behind the net and they scored and two weak goals. The team looks terrible awful defense kabanov and nelson look okay at best its currently 4-0at and the highlight of the game was pee wee hockey and watching two guys play bubble hockey....praying DP gets seated

Old
03-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Isles Enforcer

DiPietro has been pulled.

DeFazio put the Tigers on the board. 4-1 Phantoms

Looks like Nino has been benches as Kabanov has been taking his shifts on the first line.

Last edited by Isles Enforcer: 03-30-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old
03-30-2013, 09:42 PM
ferrisUML

Quote:

Looks like Nino has been benches as Kabanov has been taking his shifts on the first line.
I'm already tired of Nino and his act. Can't wait for Garth to move him.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:00 PM
A Pointed Stick
Dr. Bellows, To You

vCash: 250
Quote:

I hope Snow streams the contract negotiations in two years between Nino, his agent Albert Einstein, and himself.

"You want WHAT?!"

Old
03-31-2013, 07:55 AM
steveat

How many contracts do the Isles have left that they are allowed to sign. What I means to ask is how close to the magic number of 50 are we at?

I just read that Strome's season has ended and that he will join the tigers on a amateur tryout basis.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:04 AM
CREW99AW

vCash: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
How many contracts do the Isles have left that they are allowed to sign. What I means to ask is how close to the magic number of 50 are we at?

I just read that Strome's season has ended and that he will join the tigers on a amateur tryout basis.
Worred about getting Pedan, Lee, Kitchon and Mayfield signed ?
Among the youngsters turning pro, I think Lee is the only one heading straight to LI.

http://islanderspointblank.com/news/...st/#more-39921
Pedan and Mayfield could join the Sound Tigers on ATOs, amateur tryout contracts, which would not apply towards the Isles 50-contract limit for this season (they’re at 48 contracts right now). Those two could also sign ELCs, which act separately from ATOs, that kick in next season. Strome’s ELC would slide another year as long as he doesn’t play more than six NHL games; AHL games don’t count towards the slide rule. Strome would also need an ATO to play for Bridgeport.

Old
03-31-2013, 08:11 AM
steveat

Yeah, this article:

Talks about Strome and him most likely taking an ATO for this year.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...medium=twitter

Old
04-01-2013, 06:00 AM
steveat

Is it worth it to purchase the Streaming to watch Bport games? Also was thinking of going for the OHL package next year. Not sure if these games are worth it to see and good quality.

Old
04-01-2013, 06:57 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
Is it worth it to purchase the Streaming to watch Bport games? Also was thinking of going for the OHL package next year. Not sure if these games are worth it to see and good quality.

Fwiw I have both (and others), quality is never consistent for any package, sometimes its excellent other times its awful and most of the time IT'S in between. I enjoy the juniors games a lot more. Crowd is more into it level of hockey is usually very good, the coverage a d production is usually better ( although sometimes it us horrible). More games on more nights. Seems like Dahl games are always going on at the same time. Both are drastically overpriced but I have less of a hard time paying for chl games than AHL.

Watching Bridgeport field a roster full of echl scrubs sprinkled in with some decent prospects certainly didn't help this year.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:57 AM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Nino, Nelson, and Strome are playing on a line together in practice. Talk about throwing all your eggs in one basket. Excited to see how that line works.

Old
04-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Degeneration Rex

Bridgeport is at Worcester Tuesday night.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:02 AM
seafoam
The Real Winner

vCash: 50
The Isles seem adamant on keeping Nelson at center.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:35 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Good, that's something I'm very happy about. We lack size up the middle and adding someone like Nelson would go a long way in solidifying that deficiency. He's also shown that he can handle the 2-way play necessary to be a center.

Interesting that Strome is on the wing though, but I can understand it. Just to get him on the ice and not have to worry about faceoffs and the defensive responsibilities in his first taste of playing against pros.

Old
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
TeamKidd

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
I wouldnt necessarily glean that from the positioning. Strome may have more talent, an may very well be the long term 2C solution, but Nelson is more advanced and has more experience. Being this is stromes first taste at the AHL, it makes sense to not overload him with responsibility and keep him on the wing.

We might be looking at our 2nd line next year....

Old
04-01-2013, 11:36 AM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Bridgeport is at Worcester Tuesday night.
Hmmmm, that up in my neck of the woods. I might have to take in an AHL game tomorrow night.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:00 PM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamKidd View Post
I wouldnt necessarily glean that from the positioning. Strome may have more talent, an may very well be the long term 2C solution, but Nelson is more advanced and has more experience. Being this is stromes first taste at the AHL, it makes sense to not overload him with responsibility and keep him on the wing.

We might be looking at our 2nd line next year....
Seems Sundstrom is being overlooked on these boards.
He was off to avery good, solid start until the concussion. I still think he has NHL 3rd line staple written all over him in another year.

Old
04-01-2013, 01:12 PM
PWJunior
RIP Al Arbour

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Seems Sundstrom is being overlooked on these boards.
He was off to avery good, solid start until the concussion. I still think he has NHL 3rd line staple written all over him in another year.
With the additions of Strome, Pedan, Lee (?), Mayfield (?), Kichton (?) - Bridgeport is getting an influx of new talent which should lead to increased competition which hopefully leads to better development. Only time will tell which players rise to the cream of the crop, but it's finally nice to see multiple options emerging in key areas of need for the Isles.

I liked what I've seen of Sundstrom, he's definitely a sleeper. It's unfortunate that he's a bit overlooked, but it's hard not to be when the vaunted high draft picks are starting to trickle in.

Old
04-01-2013, 02:07 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
With the additions of Strome, Pedan, Lee (?), Mayfield (?), Kichton (?) - Bridgeport is getting an influx of new talent which should lead to increased competition which hopefully leads to better development. Only time will tell which players rise to the cream of the crop, but it's finally nice to see multiple options emerging in key areas of need for the Isles.

I liked what I've seen of Sundstrom, he's definitely a sleeper. It's unfortunate that he's a bit overlooked, but it's hard not to be when the vaunted high draft picks are starting to trickle in.
That is the best part. I feel like we will have the opportunity to really see the best these prospects have to offer while developing with one another. The pool has gotten a lot deep now that you are having a boat load of prospects fill your minor league roster.

I have felt a little lost when players like Nelson and Sundstrom were hurt. The Bridge was void of some very good talent when Ullstrom, Casey, MaC all made the big club right off the bat. Furthermore, not having the option to allow Hickey to play in the Bridge kinda stunk too.

However, now that the roster is going to be chock full of drafted players that have made their mark on their respective leagues in such a high regard...

Old
04-02-2013, 06:10 PM
InformTheMasses

Bridgeport down 1-0 early (a minute in) Ness and Landry get burned again... HURRY ANDREI!!!!!! Riley gets tackled in a fight soon after.

Old
04-02-2013, 06:42 PM
IslesRock4
Ever Forward

Strome scores!

Old
04-02-2013, 07:03 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesRock4 View Post
Strome scores!
Yup, Beautiful wrist shot. What a release... uploading to youtube as I type.

Closed Thread