HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Goaltending

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2005, 02:12 AM
Mat

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Mat Send a message via MSN to Mat
Goaltending

what are we gonna do here?
cechmanek is cechmanek, nuff said
garon may need more time, or just straight up will never be a big time goalie
what should the kings do to fill the gap should they seriously want to make a playoff push for next season?

Old
03-29-2005, 02:13 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Kings? Playoff push? Next Season? :lol

03-29-2005, 02:19 AM
Mat

you're right

they almost made it last year though, without their top players AND with cechmanek in net
crazier things have happened

Old
03-29-2005, 02:52 AM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
you're right

they almost made it last year though, without their top players AND with cechmanek in net
crazier things have happened
Who knows how the team will look next season.
It's still too early to say.

Old
03-29-2005, 03:08 AM
Kingz4life

Send a message via AIM to Kingz4life
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Kings? Playoff push? Next Season? :lol
Why not? The Kings can easily(since there payroll is around 30 million) sign a couple of stars and make a push. You add that to a solid Defensive group, pretty good forwards-Klatt, Conroy, Frolov, Army and some young players who can step up-Camms etc., and this team can do some damage next season...but we still need to get a collective bargaining agreement completed

Old
03-29-2005, 03:09 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Great avatar Albi!

Old
03-29-2005, 03:11 AM
Mat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingz4life
Why not? The Kings can easily(since there payroll is around 30 million) sign a couple of stars and make a push. You add that to a solid Defensive group, pretty good forwards-Klatt, Conroy, Frolov, Army and some young players who can step up-Camms etc., and this team can do some damage next season...but we still need to get a collective bargaining agreement completed
gotta remember that the latter playoff spots are in competition between LA, Edmonton, and Nashville

so its a very realistic possibility to surpass those teams

Old
03-29-2005, 07:34 AM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
gotta remember that the latter playoff spots are in competition between LA, Edmonton, and Nashville

so its a very realistic possibility to surpass those teams
don't forget Phoenix, who have added to their lineup already.

then you have Minny and you can't completely discount their system... a bounce back year from Gaborik and it's the same team that made the playoffs a couple years ago.

then there's Chicago - who have also been spending to add free agents, and if next season their goaltending is actually available - where they're not forced to play 2 backups, it could be a different team.

finally Columbus - who seem to have no problems spending money on free agents to try and get better... and Nash and Zherdev should be better still next season.

All these teams - LA, Edmonton, Nashville, Chicago, Columbus, Phoenix and Minny - will likely be under a cap (possibly not Phoenix and Chicago as they've already been spending) and should have room to add... all of them have good young players that are still improving and could make the West that much more competitive.

And those are just the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year (besides Nashville). To make it, one of those teams would have to knock of a current playoff team to get a seed.

The bottom of those teams are Calgary, Nashville and St. Louis... the best bet might be the Blues, who seem to be heading into a forced rebuilding mode with Demitra going. But the team still has Tkachuk and if the Pronger situation sorts itself out, you know they'll be a team that will want to contend for the playoffs.

I think comparitively, with the way things look now, the Kings will be hardpressed to make the playoffs next hockey season. But the NHL might look very different when hockey resumes, so anything is possible.

But it's not like all the other teams in the conference won't try to improve themselves either, and besides a couple of them, most of the teams in the conference should have the same type of payroll room as the Kings to add to their roster, once the contracts for this year have expired... and then it comes down to where the top free agents want to go.

Old
03-29-2005, 07:50 AM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Thank you. We're a long way away from being in the playoffs. Most of last season was a fluke.

Old
03-29-2005, 09:28 AM
Chartrand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mat
what are we gonna do here?
cechmanek is cechmanek, nuff said
garon may need more time, or just straight up will never be a big time goalie
what should the kings do to fill the gap should they seriously want to make a playoff push for next season?
Garon will be...what...28 next season? He'll already have several successful professional years under his belt. I'm sure he'll be a King whenever the NHL starts up again. If Huet had better stats than Cechmanek, and Garon is better than Huet ( which he is ), I think it won't take too long for Garon to be starting.

I'm wondering what's going to happen to Adam Hauser. So far he's had almost two full amazing seasons at the AHL level and his stats are nearly identical to Garon's. I don't know what Hauser's potential is...maybe he's an early bloomer...but I would think that he'll be getting a little attention since his play is on par with what many consider to be a legit prospect in Garon. It'd be a shame to let Hauser move on. I know there are other guys like Brust and Fukufuji waiting in the wings, but they're certainly less proven than Hauser.

Old
03-29-2005, 10:35 AM
T2M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
Garon will be...what...28 next season? He'll already have several successful professional years under his belt. I'm sure he'll be a King whenever the NHL starts up again. If Huet had better stats than Cechmanek, and Garon is better than Huet ( which he is ), I think it won't take too long for Garon to be starting.

I'm wondering what's going to happen to Adam Hauser. So far he's had almost two full amazing seasons at the AHL level and his stats are nearly identical to Garon's. I don't know what Hauser's potential is...maybe he's an early bloomer...but I would think that he'll be getting a little attention since his play is on par with what many consider to be a legit prospect in Garon. It'd be a shame to let Hauser move on. I know there are other guys like Brust and Fukufuji waiting in the wings, but they're certainly less proven than Hauser.
In Hauser and Garon I think you're watching next year's 1-2 in LA.

Old
03-29-2005, 10:42 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHL MV
The people I have talked to tell me the Kings are very happy with Hauser and consider him a diamond in the rough. If He keeps playing like he has, He is in their future plans. Depending on how the contracts from 04-05 are resolved in collective bargaining, the Kings could have Garon and Hauser as their 1-2 in LA ( as T2m pointed out)
Remember iwth Brust and Fukufuji, they have proven they are good ECHL goaltenders, they still need to prove themselves at the next level.

Old
03-29-2005, 12:12 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Chechmanek is not a clutch goaltender at all. He'll put up those nice stats in the regular season but come playoff time he folds under the pressure. Time to move Chechmanek on, get a draft pick or something for him.

Old
03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
nikolai19

I don't see why they wouldn't get a veteran backup goaltender behind Garon though. As much as I like Hauser, it would be best for him to get one more year in Manchester before he backs up Garon. Plus we are taking the risk that Garon won't be what he is cracked up to be. I think we should sign Osgood to a one year deal. If not him get someone like Dafoe, Potvin, Brathwaite, Snow, someone who can play 20-25 games and can give Garon some help with confidence. These guys that I mentioned are getting up there, and probably will be willing to do this.

Old
03-29-2005, 12:32 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Doesn't Cechmanek hit UFA status now that the season is over?

I don't think they'll be much of a market for him. The only goalie that will walk away from free agency looking great is going to be Khabibulin IMO. He's a legit elite goalie, who hits UFA status this summer. Every team that needs goaltending will have to consider him, and there'll be a market for him....

the next level down of UFA goalies will probably also have more interest than Cechmanek - guys like Thibault, Kolzig and Lalime...

Cechmanek I think will have to accept a lower contract with a team that is either not looking at the playoffs, or turn himself into another Turek, and become a backup in the NHL to earn himself a starting role again.

If the new CBA lowers UFA age down to 29, then you'll have a huge market of goalies, including Kipprusoff, Cloutier, Biron and others.

that 3rd rounder given up for Cechmanek doesn't look like such a steal anymore...

Old
03-29-2005, 12:40 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
Doesn't Cechmanek hit UFA status now that the season is over?

I don't think they'll be much of a market for him. The only goalie that will walk away from free agency looking great is going to be Khabibulin IMO. He's a legit elite goalie, who hits UFA status this summer. Every team that needs goaltending will have to consider him, and there'll be a market for him....

the next level down of UFA goalies will probably also have more interest than Cechmanek - guys like Thibault, Kolzig and Lalime...

Cechmanek I think will have to accept a lower contract with a team that is either not looking at the playoffs, or turn himself into another Turek, and become a backup in the NHL to earn himself a starting role again.

If the new CBA lowers UFA age down to 29, then you'll have a huge market of goalies, including Kipprusoff, Cloutier, Biron and others.

that 3rd rounder given up for Cechmanek doesn't look like such a steal anymore...
yeah, the Kings may be forced to waive him if the market is not there, like the Wings did with Osgood when the market for him dried up.

Old
03-29-2005, 01:06 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeMustGoDotCom
yeah, the Kings may be forced to waive him if the market is not there, like the Wings did with Osgood when the market for him dried up.
do you know his contract status?

if his contract is up then the Kings have nothing to worry about... he's simply a free agent.

I couldn't imagine the Kings re-signing him after the season he had, and after getting Garon. I think they'll just walk away from him, simply not sign him.

Old
03-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
do you know his contract status?

if his contract is up then the Kings have nothing to worry about... he's simply a free agent.

I couldn't imagine the Kings re-signing him after the season he had, and after getting Garon. I think they'll just walk away from him, simply not sign him.
No one knows the contract status of any players who's contract would have expired after the 04-05 season

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHLCBA News FAQ
Player Contracts

Q: What happens with players who have remaining years left on contracts?

That will be a matter that is determined in collective bargaining.

Q: What happens with players who would have become free agents (restricted or unrestricted) on July 1, 2005?

That will be a matter that is determined in collective bargaining.
http://www.nhlcbanews.com/faq.html

If they ruled the 04-05 as a season that counted as far as contracts go, I don't imagine Cechmanek would be brought back

Old
03-29-2005, 02:02 PM
Albi

Send a message via MSN to Albi
Quote:
don't forget Phoenix, who have added to their lineup already.

then you have Minny and you can't completely discount their system... a bounce back year from Gaborik and it's the same team that made the playoffs a couple years ago.

then there's Chicago - who have also been spending to add free agents, and if next season their goaltending is actually available - where they're not forced to play 2 backups, it could be a different team.

finally Columbus - who seem to have no problems spending money on free agents to try and get better... and Nash and Zherdev should be better still next season.

All these teams - LA, Edmonton, Nashville, Chicago, Columbus, Phoenix and Minny - will likely be under a cap (possibly not Phoenix and Chicago as they've already been spending) and should have room to add... all of them have good young players that are still improving and could make the West that much more competitive.

And those are just the teams that didn't make the playoffs last year (besides Nashville). To make it, one of those teams would have to knock of a current playoff team to get a seed.

The bottom of those teams are Calgary, Nashville and St. Louis... the best bet might be the Blues, who seem to be heading into a forced rebuilding mode with Demitra going. But the team still has Tkachuk and if the Pronger situation sorts itself out, you know they'll be a team that will want to contend for the playoffs.

I think comparitively, with the way things look now, the Kings will be hardpressed to make the playoffs next hockey season. But the NHL might look very different when hockey resumes, so anything is possible.

But it's not like all the other teams in the conference won't try to improve themselves either, and besides a couple of them, most of the teams in the conference should have the same type of payroll room as the Kings to add to their roster, once the contracts for this year have expired... and then it comes down to where the top free agents want to go.
Good post.
And my guess is that the Canucks will be hardpressed to make the playoff too.

Old
03-29-2005, 02:49 PM
Fat Elvis

To quote a crappy football coach "Playoffs? You're talking playoffs?" Doesn't look like a season is going to be later rather than sooner imo. The ahl may be the only hockey we see (or don't ) for some time. All this talk about what we need or don't next year cracks me up. I understand some have to get their fix with wishful thinking, I can give a crap. Baseball is a week away, final 4, nfl draft, and even the nba playoffs not to mention golf. We will be lucky to have any form of a nhl because most people just don't care.
If I did care, I wouldn't waste 3-5 mil on a vet backup. Go with Hauser and wait til the rest of the kids mature to round out the squad.
You guys drive me to drink with all this next season dribble . There was one?

Old
03-29-2005, 02:56 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KING ELVI
You guys drive me to drink with all this next season dribble . There was one?
Liwieckie promised us a season and we all know he has been nothing but honest and accurate since he became team President.

Old
03-29-2005, 03:44 PM
nikolai19

3-5 million on a veteran backup? No f'in way. Half the teams in the league won't have their starting goalies make that much. If you can get a veteran to sign at about a million maybe 1.5 to backup Garon, then do it, at least for a year. It will only be better for his development. Remember he hasn't been in the limelight as a starter because he sat behind JT forever.

Old
03-29-2005, 04:08 PM
Kick

If Garon continues to play like he has for the rest of the season & through the playoffs, then he deservers a shot as the #1 in LA next season. Then, like suggested, LA could find a veteran NHLer to back him up. At 24 years old, I'd like to see Hauser with one more year in Manchester as the #1. That would really give him the time he needs before he makes the move up. Then, Manchester could bring in Brust or Fukufuji to backup Hauser.

Old
03-29-2005, 04:39 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albi
Good post.
And my guess is that the Canucks will be hardpressed to make the playoff too.
sure any team could, because of the possible outcomes of the new CBA.

The Avs are losing Forsberg.. Selanne and Kariya are UFAs already. There isn't much left in their cupboards for top 6 replacements either. Wolski is their top prospect and he was recently drafted and not likely ready. Their top offensive prospect - Svatos - is having a hell of a season this year too.... with a salary cap, and Blake and Sakic's deals (followed by Foote, Hejduk and Tanguay's new deal) there likely won't be much room left to add top free agent replacements.

The Wings will lose some vets, but have some problems with their payroll if the CBA isn't kind to the big markets. Especially with Whitney's and Hatcher's contracts - which either no one wants, or has a no-trade clause.

The Stars defense continues to take a beating over the years. And if they have to cut payroll in the lineup we saw last season, there are definite holes on that team.

The canucks could lose Naslund... they could see a completely different Bertuzzi return as well. Malik and Salo could hit UFA status as well.

Out of all those teams though, the canucks are still in the best position. They have the most contracts locked up, at a payroll of under $40mill ($38mill without Naslund, but everyone else).... but with a new CBA who knows what to expect. Considering the situation of a lot of other teams though, I doubt the canucks have much to worry about... our biggest worry is losing Naslund and not finding a replacement, as well as Bertuzzi's "return" ... it could be bad enough to knock us out of the playoffs, but there are teams that have it worse than we do.

Old
03-29-2005, 04:41 PM
Old Hickory

vCash:
The Nhl if and when it returns is going to be totally different. The "top four" in the East and West are likely going to be non playoff teams.
All of the old rules are going to be thrown out the window..

Closed Thread