HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-18-2013, 01:30 PM
McJadeddog

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Schedule doesn't get much easier after that. We have to do better than .500. I'd be comforted in knowing most games left are at home except we're not putting our mark on these games at all and controlling our barn.

Last night being the complete joke of ALLOWING your opponent to get settled in the game. Rinne had been pulled the two previous nights and Preds were perfectly willing to fall down. To a man the Preds team has given up. Safest bet going is the Preds miss the playoffs.
oh yeah, the schedule doesn't get easier... all i'm pointing out is that the st. louis game is only one game... i don't think for a second we'll make the playoffs, let's just get that out there right now, lol... my overall point is that some teams we don't match up well against and some teams we match up better against, i don't think we'll ever be in a situation where we match up well against every team

Old
03-18-2013, 01:39 PM
Matt19Oilers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
We are only 3 points behind Detroit with a game in hand. They could be the most catchable team that currently has a playoff spot.
Actually they're 5 points up on us; just to clear that up.

My point being that it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if a few more teams got hot, as they would be able to beat some of the teams that we are competing with. I only say this because realistically, if we have a shot then it will be 7th or 8th, so it doesn't really hurt us if 4, 5, 6 get some separation.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:40 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
oh yeah, the schedule doesn't get easier... all i'm pointing out is that the st. louis game is only one game... i don't think for a second we'll make the playoffs, let's just get that out there right now, lol... my overall point is that some teams we don't match up well against and some teams we match up better against, i don't think we'll ever be in a situation where we match up well against every team
Getting some size will help a lot in that.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:43 PM
Koto

theres pretty much 6 spots still up for grabs, and whether youre sitting in one now or not, every team will need get hot to end up inside.

one cold week from stl/van/min/det puts them out.

Old
03-18-2013, 01:47 PM
Pointteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
Not with this roster will we match up against every team. Especially in the new division.

If Edmonton can win against San Jose, beat St. Louis once and lose in overtime to them the other time and beat Columbus then I see a fight to the finish. I feel like Edmonton will beat Vancouver for sure. They're slumping and I get the feeling this team is tired of losing to the division rivals. What's scary is the Ducks 3 times in the last 10 games. Time to grab the points now.

It's possible. We just have to trust in Tambellini. Krueger. Horcoff. Hall.Yeah, I think I got it that time.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:02 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

67.0% with 11-6-3
40.9% with 11-7-2
38.1% with 10-6-4

(% of getting in playoffs)

Old
03-18-2013, 02:10 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
According to http://www.sportsclubstats.com/NHL/W.../Edmonton.html

67.0% with 11-6-3
40.9% with 11-7-2
38.1% with 10-6-4

(% of getting in playoffs)
It's been a long, long time since I've seen that site.

Old
03-18-2013, 02:25 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Unit View Post
I don't deny he fulfills a role pretty well now but "captivates the entire dressing room" is a bit over the top. He definitely gives us a better chance to win than Belanger and Vandvelde. But this notion that the entire team suddenly became competitive because Horcoff came back and called a team meeting is a load of bull. Teams go on cold streaks, teams go on hot streaks and young teams are especially streaky. That's what we're seeing right now, a team on a hot streak. We still suck 5 on 5 and our special teams didn't go into free fall during Horcoff's absence.

What I'm getting at is if his leadership was so strong and his contribution to the team was so great then we wouldn't have finished so badly the last 3 years. Horcoff didn't miraculously develop Mark Messier leadership skills over the last week. As for the money he's paid, whatever, it is what it is and he's likely not getting bought out. I'll gladly eat crow if the Oilers make the playoffs and you hear the players tweet "we made the playoffs cuz of Horcoff" until then, Horcoff is a vet who's playing well for the first time in years and we have a huge deficit of that on this team. You could argue the trade for Mike Brown had a big impact too if you want, doesn't mean it's totally true.
Fair enough, but I think it's a combination of factors that helped the team. The emergence of Paajarvi and the return of Horcoff are big part as well as the acquisition of Mike brown. Browner is a treat to watch. A total warrior and a player I love watching.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:13 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
Fair enough, but I think it's a combination of factors that helped the team. The emergence of Paajarvi and the return of Horcoff are big part as well as the acquisition of Mike brown. Browner is a treat to watch. A total warrior and a player I love watching.
Yeah you're right about that for sure. We need another guy just like Brown in the bottom 6 imo. I think the most unfortunate thing about the Oilers situation is that I actually believe the prospect pool can provide the depth we need but they're just too green to make the impact we fans want for a few years yet. So do you wait for guys to pan out or make a move?

If the Oilers were serious about making the playoffs this year, they'd go hard after Ryan Miller. He NEEDS a change and I think a guy like that can give this team the confidence to take the next step.

Dangle Hemsky and Dubnyk, add if you need to but an elite goalie will do wonders for this club.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:23 PM
McBooya42
Have a McDavid day!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Colorado ended the Hawks streak. The Oilers only ended the Hawks home record. Barely as well as Chicago spotted us a 4 goal lead and were still confident in getting the W.

Oddly enough the best game we've played in the last couple weeks was the loss against Detroit. Which speaks to our results vs the many teams in the conference that play us well. Chicago rarely being one of those.
Do you mean the Hawks 11 game winning streak playing at home?

Old
03-18-2013, 03:26 PM
4thlineforlife

Quote:
Yeah you're right about that for sure. We need another guy just like Brown in the bottom 6 imo. I think the most unfortunate thing about the Oilers situation is that I actually believe the prospect pool can provide the depth we need but they're just too green to make the impact we fans want for a few years yet. So do you wait for guys to pan out or make a move?

If the Oilers were serious about making the playoffs this year, they'd go hard after Ryan Miller. He NEEDS a change and I think a guy like that can give this team the confidence to take the next step.

Dangle Hemsky and Dubnyk, add if you need to but an elite goalie will do wonders for this club.
Call me crazy but Id rather keep Hemsky and Dubnyk as Dubnyk is playing close to Millers level anyway.

Miller is no longer a top 5 goalie, might be a top 10-15, but gap between Dubes and Miller is not Hemsky

a .920 goalie is all you need to get into playoffs. We need goals, which Hemsky provides

Old
03-18-2013, 03:28 PM
Koto

Quote:

Or keep the better goaltender and bonus asset...

Miller has not been elite since 2010.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:32 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Call me crazy but Id rather keep Hemsky and Dubnyk as Dubnyk is playing close to Millers level anyway.

Miller is no longer a top 5 goalie, might be a top 10-15, but gap between Dubes and Miller is not Hemsky
Miller needs a change. Move him from Buffalo and he changes the complexion of a team instantly, especially if he has something to play for as he would here in Edmonton. The guy *****es to the media constantly and imo it's more to do with frustration than anything else. The guy is a competitor and he wants to win but he's rotting in Buffalo and everybody knows it.

As far as overpaying for him.......well Dubnyk is unproven and Hemsky's time is nearing an end. I'd overpay here, and maybe ask for a draft pick or a depth grinder forward back from the Sabres and see if they bite. It's definitely a risk if Miller really has fallen off that much but it's worth a shot.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:33 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

ryan miller has been hung out to dry by a garbage defence.......................so he wouldnt fair much better here. Ryan Miller on his game is a top 3-5 goalie in the league imo

Old
03-18-2013, 03:38 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

There is only one more goalie in the league who has faced more shots against than Devan Dubnyk........................and its Ryan Miller............and its by alot

Miller 814 shots against
pavelic -730
Dubnyk 724 shots against
then

varlamov - 712
nabokov -705
bryzgalov -701

lol those russian goalies are getting peppered

edit sorry i was looking at the wrong stat

dubbie is 3rd in shots against

Old
03-18-2013, 03:40 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Or keep the better goaltender and bonus asset...

Miller has not been elite since 2010.
Dubnyk still allows a bad goal a game so I'd hardly call him the "better goaltender" and the Sabres are a complete mess. Playing for a bad team has an impact on one's statistics and morale.......Oilers fans, of all people, should be aware of this.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:48 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Trading Gagner now would be stupid. Take him out of the lineup and you are taking the leading goalscorer and the leading overall point scorer on the team.

What does the team look like down the middle with him out?

RNH
Horcoff
Belanger
Lander
VV

5 goals and 19 pts for all of them combined.

No way they can trade Gagner now because I doubt they fill that offensive hole at centre with the player they get in return (logically why would a team give up an equally solid offensive C for Gagner?).
So when is the smart time to trade him, or are we in love with him now and going to pay him $5M a year for 5 years? His value is highest now and if he is getting traded now is the time. This team is going to have a lot of high end contracts for forwards in the next two years. I like Sam, but if we are keeping RNH then Sam is not the answer to be the 2nd line center, unless the wingers are getting bigger.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:52 PM
The Big Unit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
ryan miller has been hung out to dry by a garbage defence.......................so he wouldnt fair much better here. Ryan Miller on his game is a top 3-5 goalie in the league imo
IMO Miller would fare a lot better here because the Oilers are improving and are at least in the playoff hunt. Even if we miss the playoffs this year, he'll be encouraged to be playing for a team that will give him a chance to compete for a cup sooner rather than later.

Tbh though, imo Miller in Chicago=Stanley Cup

Old
03-18-2013, 03:55 PM
CornKicker
Tied with Lander G's

Quote:
IMO Miller would fare a lot better here because the Oilers are improving and are at least in the playoff hunt. Even if we miss the playoffs this year, he'll be encouraged to be playing for a team that will give him a chance to compete for a cup sooner rather than later.

Tbh though, imo Miller in Chicago=Stanley Cup
i agree I love ryan miller and would take him on my team any day. we have had a few games where the soft dubber goal has cost us, ryan miller wouldnt let that happen imo. the dude is competitor and when he is the only one his team giving a crap i get his frustration.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:57 PM
Connell McWilson
Oilers & Seahawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by timekeep View Post
So when is the smart time to trade him, or are we in love with him now and going to pay him $5M a year for 5 years? His value is highest now and if he is getting traded now is the time. This team is going to have a lot of high end contracts for forwards in the next two years. I like Sam, but if we are keeping RNH then Sam is not the answer to be the 2nd line center, unless the wingers are getting bigger.
We have to trade Sam for the right player (preferabbly a two way centre with size and skill).

WE can't just trade Gagner for a 6'4'' plug with little to no hockey skill. We should just sign Brock Lesnar as our 2nd line centre because he has something that Gagner doesn't: size and ruthless aggression.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:05 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
Blue And Orange;61897701]We have to trade Sam for the right player (preferabbly a two way centre with size and skill)[/B].

WE can't just trade Gagner for a 6'4'' plug with little to no hockey skill. We should just sign Brock Lesnar as our 2nd line centre because he has something that Gagner doesn't: size and ruthless aggression.
no kidding, this is the time to do it, most Oil fans hate to part with players when they are hot though, but when they get cold/hurt they want to trade them for other teams 1st rounders and top prospects. Personally, I think that Tambo wants to keep Gagner and wants too much for him.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by CornKicker View Post
A) And our goalies enjoy exemplory defence in front of them?

B) Hasn't happened since 2010

Quote:
That would be a very good contract to sign for the Oilers.

You know what isn't the answer? Throwing a player away for futures, because "he's not the answer" whilst still having that same issue go unanswered.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:08 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue And Orange View Post
We have to trade Sam for the right player (preferabbly a two way centre with size and skill).

Quote:
no kidding, this is the time to do it, most Oil fans hate to part with players when they are hot though, but when they get cold/hurt they want to trade them for other teams 1st rounders and top prospects. Personally, I think that Tambo wants to keep Gagner and wants too much for him.
I'm pretty sure the above post is disagreeing with you...

The point is we aren't getting a big two way 2C for Gagner, so we'd best keep Gagner.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:10 PM
McDavidson
#Jultzing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
I'm pretty sure the above post is disagreeing with you...

The point is we aren't getting a big two way 2C for Gagner, so we'd best keep Gagner.
unless you can trade gagner for a pick/prospect, and put that back into a package for someone big, I don't see any team taking a big 2C and flipping him for a small maybe more skilled 2C right before the playoffs.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:16 PM
nexttothemoon
darkness.myoldfriend

Quote:
You simply can't trade him because the Oilers lack depth at centre... especially offensively.

Where is the scoring going to come from on a team struggling to score?

I don't know if you've noticed but Gagner is the only consistent factor down the middle this year. RNH is in the midst of a severe sophomore slump dating back to last season (and who knows when he'll break out of that), Horcoff is Horcoff... good in a secondary role but he's not going to get you a lot of offense on a year long basis.

Belanger, Lander, VandeVelde combined might get you a goal every half decade or so. (only slightly exaggerating. )

To keep this on topic... take out Gagner this season and the Oilers are Florida.. no hope in hell of making the playoffs.

Management needs to add size and physicality to the top 6 without getting rid of their #1 centre.. because that's what Gagner is right now... clearly he's their elite scoring centre right now and you don't throw that away which would only create a chasm down the middle and at best would help with returning a big body winger.

In short... robbing from one area to prop up another... net effect... ZERO and likely a net loss imo.

Closed Thread