HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Are playoffs still makeable?

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 08:59 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Nashville loses again tonight. At this point I don't theres a team in the league they would beat. ftr the Preds one and only regulation time win in over a month of hockey was the 6-0 W against us. Making that beating all the more shocking and indicative of an Oiler team that flat out layed down and gave up.

Which was only 10 days ago.

Its nice to think this Oiler team has a chance but if you have trouble against Nashville most(if not all) nights are uphill from there.

Preds have easily become the worst team in the conference and nosediving into the bottom.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Nashville loses again tonight. At this point I don't theres a team in the league they would beat. ftr the Preds one and only regulation time win in over a month of hockey was the 6-0 W against us. Making that beating all the more shocking and indicative of an Oiler team that flat out layed down and gave up.

Its nice to think this Oiler team has a chance but if you have trouble against Nashville most(if not all) nights are uphill from there.

Preds have easily become the worst team in the conference and nosediving into the bottom.
Not saying I disagree with you (far from it actually) but to be fair, they do still have a lot of very good players that can take over a game, and we have a very young team

Old
03-19-2013, 09:08 PM
dixs35

vCash: 250
Quote:

I hope they make a knee-jerk reaction and fire Trotz. I haven't been as upset as some with Krueger but if Trotz was available I would fire Krueger the same day and hire Trotz.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:09 PM
Spawn

Quote:

I think they will come out of it sooner or later. I'm more comfortable with the Blue Jackets winning now than the Predators when it comes to long term playoff implications.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:15 PM
awesomo
HARD!

Quote:

teams go on win and loss streaks all the time. the sharks have like 1 win in their last 7 games. the canucks have been struggling.

the NHL is unpredictable, so for those who dont already know. never bet on hockey.

Old
03-19-2013, 09:24 PM
Expatriate

vCash: 50
This is fun. For the first time in years I'm actually checking the out of town scoreboard. 6 pts between 4th and 13th in the West, crazy.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:04 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expatriate View Post
This is fun. For the first time in years I'm actually checking the out of town scoreboard. 6 pts between 4th and 13th in the West, crazy.
I know, it's actually getting a little confusing. So let me get this straight. The best case scenario would be for us to beat SJ and Colorado beating Dallas in tomorrow night's game as well as LA beating Phoenix tonight and that would put us in 8th place in the West, am I right?

Old
03-19-2013, 10:08 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
I know, it's actually getting a little confusing. So let me get this straight. The best case scenario would be for us to beat SJ and Colorado beating Dallas in tomorrow night's game as well as LA beating Phoenix tonight and that would put us in 8th place in the West, am I right?
Yes and were 8th by percentage and row so we would control our desting , Flames could overtake us if they win their games in hand unlikely though.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:16 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I think they will come out of it sooner or later. I'm more comfortable with the Blue Jackets winning now than the Predators when it comes to long term playoff implications.
I'm fine with Columbus winning some games. Overall thats a team short term overachieving that will fall back down before the season is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo View Post
teams go on win and loss streaks all the time. the sharks have like 1 win in their last 7 games. the canucks have been struggling.

the NHL is unpredictable, so for those who dont already know. never bet on hockey.
With Nashville its a different thing. A team that for years was entirely reliant on Two of the Best D in hockey and Rinne. Who are now with a huge hole missing Suter and a team that is being exposed in every way. They can't score goals, and don't really have goals in the lineup. They've managed to ride guys like Legwand way over what should be possible but he's soon going to be looking like Smyth. Erat looks pretty done as well. Hornqvist injured. Theres really nobody in the Nashville lineup that seems up and coming solid player. I see it only getting worse for that club. Actually on and of the ice I expect the Preds and Blue Jackets to be struggling.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:19 PM
Booya42
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ) What the...

LA leading 1-0 after the first against Phoenix...get 'er done boys!

Old
03-19-2013, 10:20 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
I'm fine with Columbus winning some games. Overall thats a team short term overachieving that will fall back down before the season is done.

With Nashville its a different thing. A team that for years was entirely reliant on Two of the Best D in hockey and Rinne. Who are now with a huge hole missing Suter and a team that is being exposed in every way. They can't score goals, and don't really have goals in the lineup. They've managed to ride guys like Legwand way over what should be possible but he's soon going to be looking like Smyth. Erat looks pretty done as well. Hornqvist injured. Theres really nobody in the Nashville lineup that seems up and coming solid player. I see it only getting worse for that club. Actually on and of the ice I expect the Preds and Blue Jackets to be struggling.
Bourque is pretty good and their farm system is very deep too. They manage to replace guys year after year. I agree with everything you said about the guys you cited though. Without Suter, they are getting exposed big time and Ellis, Klein and Josi are a long way from being to fill Suter's shoes.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:22 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Yes and were 8th by percentage and row so we would control our desting , Flames could overtake us if they win their games in hand unlikely though.
Controlling our own destiny is not always a good thing with this team.
But to be honest if they could find some way to get Eberle and RNH to start playing like we know they can then making the playoffs will not only be possible but it will be expected.

For anyone who can remember, the last time we made the playoffs back in '06 we were in a similar situation this late in the season. It seemed like every game during the last month of the season was a do or die game for us and I strongly believe this was the main reason we had such a good run that year. We were in playoff mode for a month or two before the playoffs even began. It really prepared our players for that run. So hopefully if they do make it this year some of our young guys will get the experience of playing meaningful games before they even play a playoff game.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Bourque is pretty good and their farm system is very deep too. They manage to replace guys year after year. I agree with everything you said about the guys you cited though. Without Suter, they are getting exposed big time and Ellis, Klein and Josi are a long way from being to fill Suter's shoes.
Bourque is riding an out of body experience. This is nothing more than the Fernando Pisani, Ryan Jones brief moments of goalscoring. There is nothing in Bourques game ever that suggests he's a goal scorer or producer.

Bourque's having an oulier moment and nearly everything going in for him which has never happened before in his life.

But yeah, overall the slide is happened, even one of the best coaches in the business can't stop it and just wait when some key guys(very few of them anyway) fail to dial up the effort. Guys like Legwand are tired and overused and just dying out there. This is a spent team of overachievers that gave it their all for years. I think theres nothing left. I could see this team sinking even last season with Suter in the lineup and the Oilers toying with them.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:30 PM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great One View Post
Controlling our own destiny is not always a good thing with this team.
But to be honest if they could find some way to get Eberle and RNH to start playing like we know they can then making the playoffs will not only be possible but it will be expected.

For anyone who can remember, the last time we made the playoffs back in '06 we were in a similar situation this late in the season. It seemed like every game during the last month of the season was a do or die game for us and I strongly believe this was the main reason we had such a good run that year. We were in playoff mode for a month or two before the playoffs even began. It really prepared our players for that run. So hopefully if they do make it this year some of our young guys will get the experience of playing meaningful games before they even play a playoff game.
Would be nice for them to be in control of 8th , if they can do it tomorrow I will start to believe with 11 home games left.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:39 PM
tv14

I suppose it doesn't really matter that much what happens in Vancouver/St Louis game does it? Just as long as it doesn't go to OT/shootout.

If Van wins (in reg) we are 6 points behind both Van and STL with one game in hand on each. If STL wins (in reg) we are 4 points behind Van with a game in hand but 8 points behind STL with a game in hand.

So a Van win makes things more clustered, and a STL win would allow them to get some separation on the pack.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:40 PM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

I wish that I was at Rexall tomorrow. That place is going to be mental.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:41 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya42 View Post
LA leading 1-0 after the first against Phoenix...get 'er done boys!
The Blues aren't helping us any tonight though...I guess the Canucks have to win once in awhile.

Edit: 2-0 Kings!

Old
03-19-2013, 10:47 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post
I suppose it doesn't really matter that much what happens in Vancouver/St Louis game does it? Just as long as it doesn't go to OT/shootout.

If Van wins (in reg) we are 6 points behind both Van and STL with one game in hand on each. If STL wins (in reg) we are 4 points behind Van with a game in hand but 8 points behind STL with a game in hand.

So a Van win makes things more clustered, and a STL win would allow them to get some separation on the pack.
I would have preferred that the Blues won this one as they are not in our division. 1st in our division is still within reach.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tv14 View Post

STL will obtain separation with two games on tap against us in the coming week.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
oilchamp99

Quote:
It's hockey, any knowledgeable person knows nothings guaranteed. STL matches up really well against us but to assume the 2 games against as them losses is ignorant.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:54 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
I would have preferred that the Blues won this one as they are not in our division. 1st in our division is still within reach.
Same here, but just thinking about it, if the Canucks win tonight they move into a tie with Minny and the Oil are still only 6 points out of the division lead and haven't lost any ground.

Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Jeff Lebowski

Quote:

Old
03-19-2013, 10:55 PM
tv14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Regardless if they win or not Minny is still in the lead for the division which we are 6 points behind.

Quote:
It's not impossible that we could split the two games. We could win the one at home. Sure they are better on paper, but the games aren't played on paper.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilchamp99 View Post
It's hockey, any knowledgeable person knows nothings guaranteed. STL matches up really well against us but to assume the 2 games against as them losses is ignorant.
Well, we're 1-7 in the last 8 contests and with 3 of those being shutouts. Not trying to be ignorant. Really theres not a team in the league we match up worse against then the STL Blues.

For sure anything can happen but I'm sure not betting on it. If we take anybody out its the Canucks who are very underwhelming and in a lot of trouble this season.

Old
03-19-2013, 11:11 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Too bad the Nucks are winning right now. But does anyone really think they're going to miss the playoffs?

I know everyone's close except for Chicago and Anaheim but the locks imo are:

Chicago
Anaheim
Vancouver
Los Angeles

I just don't see those team being on the outside when all is said and done. Right now Minnesota is playing well too and Detroit's doing okay.

Nashville, Phoenix, Dallas, Colorado, and Calgary are on the downward trend, while Columbus is really hot right now. If things keep going this way and we continue playing well (big if) we could sneak into 7th or 8th.

Just hoping I guess.

Closed Thread