HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game #27 -- Wed Mar 13, 2013 - Red Wings @ Flames - 9:30 p.m.

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 04:17 PM
SirloinUB

vCash: 500
I am stunned.

I disagreed with Abdelkader and Cleary getting top 6 minutes. That being said, I could understand the underlying philosophy. The idea of playing your defensively reliable guys the most does make sense on some levels.

However, benching Nyquist without a game is where they lose me. We have scored 10 goals in our last 7 games. The logical step is to call up the AHLs leading scorer and see if he can inject some offense. I cant (on any level) wrap my mind around benching Nyquist without a single game played. I just don't get it.

I guess we shouldnt get to bent out of shape yet. Helene said "if Tootoo does play". If being the operative word, and we know that tootoo is on the outside looking in for tonight. I bet Nyquist plays.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:22 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace View Post
I don't think the Wings have much the Jets would want; maybe Filppula or Sheahan, but that wouldn't be nearly enough to pry Buffy out of their hands.

Then again, with the trade **** I've been throwing at the wall lately, who knows.
That's what I was thinking. Buff is a legitimate game changer, any team interested is going to have to saddle up and pay Winnipeg.

Holland does love using 1st round draft picks at the deadline though...Sheahan + Nyquist +1st? I don't think that gets it done though. You gotta figure one of Sproul and Ouellet even given the fact they have enough d-man prospects? Sproul + Sheahan + Nyquist? Keep the first? I don't know, it's hard to judge this one

Old
03-13-2013, 04:25 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
I am confused unless I am missing something Ansar is still reporting Tootoo is out and Nyquist is in.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:26 PM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
That's what I was thinking. Buff is a legitimate game changer, any team interested is going to have to saddle up and pay Winnipeg.

Holland does love using 1st round draft picks at the deadline though...Sheahan + Nyquist +1st? I don't think that gets it done though. You gotta figure one of Sproul and Ouellet even given the fact they have enough d-man prospects? Sproul + Sheahan + Nyquist? Keep the first? I don't know, it's hard to judge this one
why don't we stop trying to judge an Eklund rumor?

Old
03-13-2013, 04:27 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirloinUB View Post
why don't we stop trying to judge an Eklund rumor?
So ignore it. I fully understand who Eklund is and how little weight his "rumours" have.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:29 PM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
I am confused unless I am missing something Ansar is still reporting Tootoo is out and Nyquist is in.
Maybe babcock will make a game time decision based on whether Brian McGratten is playing.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:31 PM
SirloinUB

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDrake View Post
So leave the thread. Simple answer.
Or unfounded rumors can be posted in a rumor thread, and the GDT can be about the game and the lineup. Novel idea I know, but maybe rumor/speculation threads were created for a reason.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:32 PM
Goose Status Loose
Well.. loose-ish

These might as well be embedded into the main Wings page.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:39 PM
TatarTangle

Quote:
Or unfounded rumors can be posted in a rumor thread, and the GDT can be about the game and the lineup. Novel idea I know, but maybe rumor/speculation threads were created for a reason.
I can play this little game too. It would pertain to the game if Holland is trying to showcase Nyquist, as DatsyukToZetterberg said.

It doesn't deserve it's own thread.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:48 PM
Eastopia
Custom Title User

vCash: 223
I don't even know where to start. Fire Babcock. If Nyquist doesn't play tonight then make it out of a cannon, just... fire Babcock. Enough is enough.

Tough game to predict IMO, it could go either way. I'm going with a 3-1 victory though - Z ends his rot, Kronwall gets one and Andersson tops it off for Detroit. Hudler will get Calgary's.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
silkyjohnson50

Quote:
I am stunned.

I disagreed with Abdelkader and Cleary getting top 6 minutes. That being said, I could understand the underlying philosophy. The idea of playing your defensively reliable guys the most does make sense on some levels.
I'd buy that if:

1) Datsyuk hadn't already proven the ability to carry defensive liabilities (Holmstrom) against top opposition as long as they can play in the offensive zone

2) Cleary and Abdelkader were actually good defensively

That's the biggest myth around here. Being a non-skilled bottom 6 plugger doesn't mean you're good defensively. Cleary and Abdelkader were turnover machines, couldn't win puck battles, and take penalties.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
Brick Top
LANA!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Lining View Post
These might as well be embedded into the main Wings page.

I'd love to see a compilation of all the times Q and Cleary have tripped over their own skates this season in fast motion set to the Benny Hill theme... I'm confident that it could fill the full 4:33 running time.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:53 PM
TatarTangle

What's the over/under on number of posts Eva has about Hudler tonight?

Old
03-13-2013, 05:27 PM
Jurky
Rotting in purgatory

vCash: 50
I think people are jumping the gun here, Khan said flat out that Nyquist is playing with Cleary and Andy, St James is HEARING that Nyquist MIGHT not play. Until he is officially scratched I'm going to operate under the assumption that he's in.

Having said that, if Gus is scratched tonight I will lose my ****. I've been a moderate when it comes to Babs this season, thoroughly confused by his decisions but still giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he sits Gus in favor of Cleary, Abby, Eaves, Miller, or even Tootoo I will have officially lost all faith in him.
It's getting more and more obvious that his success was a by product of the talent of his players and his assistant coaches.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:33 PM
joe89

I think I'll wait to game time.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:53 PM
GoAwayDanCleary
DRWCC

Even if Tootoo is out and Gus does play it still blows my mind how they even think of such a move.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:54 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

vCash: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolph Lundgren View Post
I think people are jumping the gun here, Khan said flat out that Nyquist is playing with Cleary and Andy, St James is HEARING that Nyquist MIGHT not play. Until he is officially scratched I'm going to operate under the assumption that he's in.

Having said that, if Gus is scratched tonight I will lose my ****. I've been a moderate when it comes to Babs this season, thoroughly confused by his decisions but still giving him the benefit of the doubt. If he sits Gus in favor of Cleary, Abby, Eaves, Miller, or even Tootoo I will have officially lost all faith in him.
It's getting more and more obvious that his success was a by product of the talent of his players and his assistant coaches.
If Nyquist isn't in, I think Babcock is heading for a sit down meeting with Holland. Renney will do what he is told, we know that from his other stops. Holland didn't call Nyquist up to sit, he has said he would bring him up for playing time a couple times in the last couple weeks. This would be a shot at Holland in my opinion. Now Babcock might be willing to make a stand here, but it will likely be the first really big crack in the relationship between the two.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:58 PM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flowah View Post
If "not done much lately" is the reason for scratching players, why is Abby still up? Pretty sure he has the lowest points of any of our forwards, despite significant TOI, playing with Pavel and on the PP. And his lone goal this season was an EN. Whereas guys like Andersson, Miller, Tootoo, Tatar, all have more points and goals and with less games/chances/time.

That's the point. The point is not that Tootoo is some all star that needs to be in the lineup. It's that it makes no sense to scratch him before some other severely underperforming players on the team.
Babcock said the other day in an interview that Abby is getting all the powerplay time because he's the only one showing that he's capable of retrieving the puck on the powerplay. He continues to say that he "likes" what Abby does on the 2nd line by providing Pasha with a "big body" to create space

Old
03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
Flowah

Quote:
Babcock said the other day in an interview that Abby is getting all the powerplay time because he's the only one showing that he's capable of retrieving the puck on the powerplay.
Are we even watching the same game? Sigh.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:06 PM
detredWINgs

At this point, who gives a **** if Nyquist is playing or not? He's just going to be placed with those offensive dynamos in Andersson (who is invisible without Tatar) and Daniel Effing Cleary, getting 9 minutes a night.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:08 PM
detredWINgs

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
Babcock said the other day in an interview that Abby is getting all the powerplay time because he's the only one showing that he's capable of retrieving the puck on the powerplay. He continues to say that he "likes" what Abby does on the 2nd line by providing Pasha with a "big body" to create space
This is ********. For all the "hard work" and "realgood" play Abdelkader is supposedly carrying out on a nightly basis, he'd have more than 1 ****ing point that wasn't the result of an EN goal.

I can't think of any player in Wings history who supposedly worked this hard, played substantial minutes with elite linemates, and STILL couldn't manage to get his name on the scoresheet.

I'm almost considering buying tickets to a home game behind the Wings bench - no matter how expensive - and troll Babcock with a huge sign that says something basic like "Abdelkader is not a talented player, moron."

Old
03-13-2013, 06:18 PM
Goose Status Loose
Well.. loose-ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
I'm almost considering buying tickets to a home game behind the Wings bench - no matter how expensive - and troll Babcock with a huge sign that says something basic like "Abdelkader is not a talented player, moron."
You should take up a collection. I got $10 on it.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:20 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

I don't know why any of you are surprised or even mad. Daniel needs his minutes!

Old
03-13-2013, 06:29 PM
Konnan511
Play Pals

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Flu? Likely cover story.

But seriously anybody with the flu stay away from the team. Last thing they need is that sweeping through the room.
Flu is going through our work right now. Blah.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Silver Lining View Post
You should take up a collection. I got $10 on it.
I'll pitch in $10 and send you a DVD of the game.

Closed Thread