HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Ben Eager - *CLEARED*

Old
03-13-2013, 07:50 PM
Baggers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadeddog View Post
the oilers aren't going to waste one of the 2 buyouts you are allowed under the new CBA on smyth and his 2.25 million cap hit... nor should they.... we aren't going to be up against the cap next year, so saving 2.25 isn't really worth it... just sit smyth every 2nd or 3rd game next year, play him on the 4th line when he does play and let him retire in 2014
The Oilers only have 3 "bad" contracts that last after this year (Horcoff, Smyth, Nick Schultz).

Horcoff and Schultz likely don't get bought out after this season. If Smyth doesn't retire, I can see the team using the compliance buyout on him.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:52 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post
The Oilers only have 3 "bad" contracts that last after this year (Horcoff, Smyth, Nick Schultz).

Horcoff and Schultz likely don't get bought out after this season. If Smyth doesn't retire, I can see the team using the compliance buyout on him.
Schultz is not a bad contract. Every team in the league would take him at his price tag.

nabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:59 PM
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone

vCash: 1531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Like Replacement, I get the feeling he didn't have a lot of friends inside the locker-room. Might not have been popular in the room.
Since it was announced the local media, Tencer, Gregar and a few other have been putting knives into Eager about how he did not understand his role and place with the team

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Schultz is not a bad contract. Every team in the league would take him at his price tag.
Are you kidding? If that's the case trade him tomorrow. He was already on the decline in Minnesota, he's been awful here and it's an awful price tag. The way that trade turned out heck I would rather have had Greg Zanon instead. So disappointed by that trade now in retrospect.

If we traded Smid, N Schultz and Whitney at the deadline for anything and plugged in Peckham, Fistric and Potter in on a regular basis and maybe call up Brett Clark from OKC would our defence actually be any more terrible than it already is? Especially if we're not making the playoffs at the the time of the deadline?

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:05 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers View Post

Nick Schultz makes 3.5 mil. His contract is fine, even if he has been pretty disappointing.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:07 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Since it was announced the local media, Tencer, Gregar and a few other have been putting knives into Eager about how he did not understand his role and place with the team
He's only been happy ever when he's been on a winner. Complete baby.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:09 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Nick Schultz makes 3.5 mil. His contract is fine, even if he has been pretty disappointing.
You can get someone to play at or very close to Nick Schultz's level for a million or less which is what we should be doing. We have to stop overpaying mediocrity which is what I'm worried will happen with Smid. Everyone screams about Horcoff but him at 5.5 million is ten times more acceptable IMHO than paying Schultz 3.5 million. Bad pro scouting by the Oilers, what he's brought is something different and worse than what the Oilers were expecting.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:11 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Just another example of Tambo having to correct a mistake he caused himself.
How many players has he acquired that had to be (or should have been) replaced by a different player?

Little wonder this team is so painfully slow at making progress towards being competitive..

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
plikestechno

At least he's correcting them. I'll give him that. Other GM's stubbornly hold on to their bad decisions for too long.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:13 PM
Master Lok

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
How many players has he acquired that had to be (or should have been) replaced by a different player?

Little wonder this team is so painfully slow at making progress towards being competitive..
Its difficult to predict the concussions that Eager suffered - that's what makes him reluctant to be truculant.

Master Lok is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:16 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
At least he's correcting them. I'll give him that. Other GM's stubbornly hold on to their bad decisions for too long.
Why does he keep making them...repeatedly?
This team has holes that requires some major repair work and he thinks plugging the holes with gum is good enough.

The gum falls out (Tambo seems genuinely surprised) and then he proceeds to do the same thing all over again.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:17 PM
oiLowe

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
He isn't a good 4th liner, because he can't do anything. He's can't get there. If Vande Velde wasn't so terrible, Smyth would be in the pressbox.
Nah, you need to have look around the league if you think Smyth is a problem on our 4th line.

oiLowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:18 PM
McArthur

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
How so? His physicality has been so inconsistent. Can't/shouldn't fight. Doesn't contribute much else.
Was a lot like buying a homosexual farm animal.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:18 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Its difficult to predict the concussions that Eager suffered - that's what makes him reluctant to be truculant.
Its not about the concussions.

Its about locating and acquiring hockey players that will actually contribute to making the team harder to play against.

Eager has been a bust since day 1 and it really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone much less the GM of an NHL team.

Last edited by guymez: 03-13-2013 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Apologies...Eager had a consussion during the 11/12 training camp
Old
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Its not about the concussions...that happened long after Eager arrived.

Its about locating and acquiring hockey players that will actually contribute to making the team harder to play against.

Eager has been a bust since day 1 and it really shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone much less the GM of an NHL team.
Didnt he get a concussion in TC before he played a real game as an Oiler? Or am I getting my seasons mixed up?

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
AK Dandyman

Just found out Eager has been waived. Always like his hitting and speed, not so much his attitude. However, I actually feel bad for him.

The main issue i think was his recurring concussion problem. He cannot fight anymore because of it. He tried to spark something and fought Kassian in the first game of the year against the Canucks. Kassian landed a couple average punches and Eager suffered a concussion again similar to last season.

Opposing coaches are going to tell their tough guys to challenge Eager if Eager starts throwing big hits out there, and if Eager won't drop the glove, then it's an invitation to ask them to respond by throw big hits back at the Oilers skill guys. Now Eager cannot stir up as much as he wanted to because he can't at least drop the glove once in a while due to his concussion problem.

This completely reduced the effectiveness of the type of player he is. It'll be interesting to see if someone will pick him up. There's a chance a playoff bound team may pick him up since there's not as much need to fight in the playoff and he can still be somewhat useful. However, Eager having one more yr left at $1.1M after this yr could scare teams away.

AK Dandyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:25 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Didnt he get a concussion in TC before he played a real game as an Oiler? Or am I getting my seasons mixed up?
Actually you are right about that.

That said...there is a reason why Eager has played for 5 teams already.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Why does he keep making them...repeatedly?
This team has holes that requires some major repair work and he thinks plugging the holes with gum is good enough.

The gum falls out (Tambo seems genuinely surprised) and then he proceeds to do the same thing all over again.
To be honest, I have this weird, probably wrong theory that players come to Edmonton and their production goes in the tank because they are either treated too nice by the organization and expectations are too low without fear of repercussion.

Or I have this theory that veteran players are excited to come to Edmonton as a fresh start but once they are here they and their families don't like living here and this malaise and perhaps even pressure at home affects their production for their employer.

I know a lot of people in the arts, the oil industry or are in academics and are here from other places only because of their job. And they all would rather live somewhere else and in many cases I think it affects how well and how hard they work at their job. Because they were brought in by demand for their qualifications, education or skill the possibility of them being fired is very low. Because it would make their management look bad and because their previous track record holds the promise of better performance from them. Veterans also hate to play on losing teams and check out once the prospects of playoffs are dashed. I think this is why a lot of bad teams, stay bad teams. Winning makes everything better regardless.of where you live.

It's just inexplicable how many veteran players come here and just fall off the map. Belanger I thought was an amazing signing given his track record and just completely fell apart.

Last edited by plikestechno: 03-13-2013 at 08:34 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 08:31 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by plikestechno View Post
To be honest, I have this weird, probably wrong theory that players come to Edmonton and their production goes in the tank because they are either treated too nice by the organization and expectations are too low without fear of repercussion.

Or I have this theory that veteran players are excited to come to Edmonton as a fresh start but once they are here they and their families don't like living here and this malaise and perhaps even pressure at home affects their production for their employer.

I know a lot of people in the arts, the oil industry or are in academics and are here from other places only because of their job. And they all would rather live somewhere else and in many cases I think it affects how well and how hard they work at their job. Because they were brought in by demand for their qualifications, education or skill the possibility of them being fired is very low. Because it would make their management look bad and because their previous track record holds the promise of better performance from them. Veterans also hate to play on losing teams and check out once the prospects of playoffs are dashed. I think this is why a lot of bad teams, stay bad teams. Winning makes everything better. Even where you live.

It's just inexplicable how many veteran players come here and just fall off the map. Belanger I though was an amazing signing given his track record and just completely fell apart.
You may have a point.

I can relate to some of what you are referring to and I was born in Edmonton. Its not for everyone...thats for sure.
Psychology does play a role in how happy/productive we are regardless of the profession.

In terms of the Oilers I suspect that a winning team would go a long ways towards changing some of that.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Its not about the concussions.

You made the same mistake.

The day of the signing you said you liked Eager and that he'll be a good fit here.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:41 PM
Spawn

Quote:

His list of UFA acquisitions is pretty shockingly bad.

2009:
Khabibulin - Massive bust. Poor stats, atrocious win/loss record and when he does play good he gets hurt.
Comrie - Came in played 43 games, ended up hurt and sort of just disappeared. Gone after one season.

2010:
Foster - Massive bust. Slow, ineffective offensively and just a crappy hockey player. Saw his production cut in 1/2 when he came to the Oilers. Gone after one season.
MacIntyre - Brought him back after Florida had taken him from us off waivers. Toughest guy out there, but also maybe the worst player in the league. Gone after one season.

2011:
Hordichuk: Ineffective enforcer. Waived a handful of games into this season
Eager: As discussed in this thread. Waived after a handful of games into this season
Barker: Awful awful player, grossly overpaid. Gone after one season.
Belanger: Some talk that he might be up next. Difficult to figure out how he has gone from a consistent 40 point guy basically his entire career to an absolute zero here... regardless, he has been a failure in Edmonton.

2012:
Justin Schultz: The lone shining star. Although the situation is unique in that this wasn't so much the Oilers making a smart UFA decision, but rather us being lucky enough for him to pick us. 29 other teams would have loved to get him.

I think it is rather telling that almost every single one of these signings had a reaction from the former players team somewhere along the line of "Thank god he is gone, he is awful"

4 off-seasons now. Tambellini has acquired exactly ZERO veteran players via free agency that have actually helped the Oilers... Don't get me wrong, I liked some of these moves at the time. But I'm not the one paid to make the smart decisions.

Awful free agents
Awful trades
Awful at hiring coaches
It's not simply that he isn't making moves. Its that the ones he does make are awful. How does this guy even have a job.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:42 PM
Cawz

Quote:
Actually you are right about that.

That said...there is a reason why Eager has played for 5 teams already.
Yeah, becasue his skill set isnt very rare. He's a depth tough guy who can fight, hit, score a bit and isnt a liability on the ice. At least thats what he was supposed to be, and we'll never know if it was the TC Conncussion that did him in.

In theory, he's the exact type of person we needed for the 4th line. A huge upgrade on Stortini (arguably a worse hockey player and absolutly a worse tough guy) and McIntyre (a better tough guy but a horrible hockey player). Hordi would fight but was a way worse hockey player. I like the Brown trade so far. He's what we needed in Eager. We'll see how that goes over time.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:43 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
You made the same mistake.

The day of the signing you said you liked Eager and that he'll be a good fit here.
I did indeed...I was wrong. I hadn't seen him play enough in the past.

The difference is that I am not getting paid to build a hockey team and I dont have a group of pro scouts at my disposal.

Tambo has made this mistake repeatedly.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
Baggers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
He's a decent bottom-pairing defenceman getting paid to be top 4.

Like I said, I don't think he gets bought out - the team simply can't replace him at the moment. Doesn't mean he isn't overpaid.

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:46 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Yeah, becasue his skill set isnt very rare. He's a depth tough guy who can fight, hit, score a bit and isnt a liability on the ice. At least thats what he was supposed to be, and we'll never know if it was the TC Conncussion that did him in.

In theory, he's the exact type of person we needed for the 4th line. A huge upgrade on Stortini (arguably a worse hockey player and absolutly a worse tough guy) and McIntyre (a better tough guy but a horrible hockey player). Hordi would fight but was a way worse hockey player. I like the Brown trade so far. He's what we needed in Eager. We'll see how that goes over time.
The problem with Eager though is that he never seemed to have the smarts to play that role in a manner that didn't hurt the team.

Brown seems to have a much better understanding of whats required of him and how to play the energy game without hurting your team. He is also better at maintaining puck possession that I thought he was.
Granted its been a very small sample size so the jury is still out on Brown.

That said I hope he succeeds because I want to see this team succeed.