HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben Eager - *CLEARED*

Old
03-13-2013, 09:51 PM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
His list of UFA acquisitions is pretty shockingly bad.

2009:
Khabibulin - Massive bust. Poor stats, atrocious win/loss record and when he does play good he gets hurt.
Comrie - Came in played 43 games, ended up hurt and sort of just disappeared. Gone after one season.

2010:
Foster - Massive bust. Slow, ineffective offensively and just a crappy hockey player. Saw his production cut in 1/2 when he came to the Oilers. Gone after one season.
MacIntyre - Brought him back after Florida had taken him from us off waivers. Toughest guy out there, but also maybe the worst player in the league. Gone after one season.

2011:
Hordichuk: Ineffective enforcer. Waived a handful of games into this season
Eager: As discussed in this thread. Waived after a handful of games into this season
Barker: Awful awful player, grossly overpaid. Gone after one season.
Belanger: Some talk that he might be up next. Difficult to figure out how he has gone from a consistent 40 point guy basically his entire career to an absolute zero here... regardless, he has been a failure in Edmonton.

2012:
Justin Schultz: The lone shining star. Although the situation is unique in that this wasn't so much the Oilers making a smart UFA decision, but rather us being lucky enough for him to pick us. 29 other teams would have loved to get him.

I think it is rather telling that almost every single one of these signings had a reaction from the former players team somewhere along the line of "Thank god he is gone, he is awful"

4 off-seasons now. Tambellini has acquired exactly ZERO veteran players via free agency that have actually helped the Oilers... Don't get me wrong, I liked some of these moves at the time. But I'm not the one paid to make the smart decisions.

Awful free agents
Awful trades
Awful at hiring coaches
It's not simply that he isn't making moves. Its that the ones he does make are awful. How does this guy even have a job.
The only signing that you can give Tambo a little slack on is the Belanger signing. It looked like a good signing at the time...I dont think anybody expected Belanger to fall into a black hole.

Everything else though is an epic disaster...Tambo has prevented this team from progressing at a quicker rate with his poor decision making.

I am just as perplexed as you are regarding why he still has a job.

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
The problem with Eager though is that he never seemed to have the smarts to play that role in a manner that didn't hurt the team.

Brown seems to have a much better understanding of whats required of him and how to play the energy game without hurting your team. He is also better at maintaining puck possession that I thought he was.
Granted its been a very small sample size.
Yeah, agree on all parts. Its hard finding a tough guy that doesnt take dumb penalties, but Eager would make the refs job pretty easy sometimes.

And yeah, Brown has looked great for the role, but that small sample size greatness is a killer. Whitney and Souray played lights out before going **** up. Hell, I remember Isbister's first game (I think) with the Oiler when he looked like a stud (not sure why he popped into my head, but whatever).

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:

2009:
Khabibulin - Massive bust. Poor stats, atrocious win/loss record and when he does play good he gets hurt.
Comrie - Came in played 43 games, ended up hurt and sort of just disappeared. Gone after one season.

2010:
Foster - Massive bust. Slow, ineffective offensively and just a crappy hockey player. Saw his production cut in 1/2 when he came to the Oilers. Gone after one season.
MacIntyre - Brought him back after Florida had taken him from us off waivers. Toughest guy out there, but also maybe the worst player in the league. Gone after one season.

2011:
Eager: As discussed in this thread. Waived after a handful of games into this season
Belanger: Some talk that he might be up next. Difficult to figure out how he has gone from a consistent 40 point guy basically his entire career to an absolute zero here... regardless, he has been a failure in Edmonton.

2012:
Justin Schultz: The lone shining star. Although the situation is unique in that this wasn't so much the Oilers making a smart UFA decision, but rather us being lucky enough for him to pick us. 29 other teams would have loved to get him.

I think it is rather telling that almost every single one of these signings had a reaction from the former players team somewhere along the line of "Thank god he is gone, he is awful"

4 off-seasons now. Tambellini has acquired exactly ZERO veteran players via free agency that have actually helped the Oilers... Don't get me wrong, I liked some of these moves at the time. But I'm not the one paid to make the smart decisions.

Awful free agents
Awful trades
Awful at hiring coaches
It's not simply that he isn't making moves. Its that the ones he does make are awful. How does this guy even have a job.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not a big Tambellini fan, I'd take a new gm anyday but this was kind of the MO. It was a rebuild, they're not going to go out and bring in a big name free agent. These next few years is when he needs to be really busy, we'll see what happens I guess.

When I compare the roster we had before Tambellini took over to the roster we have today all I can say is I'd much rather have todays team.

I think he's also done a good job with OKC, keeping Hemsky in Edmonton, bringing Jones in and getting assets for players we no longer needed (Cogliano, Staios, Grebeshkov etc etc).

I'm not surprised he's still employed because he's done pretty much exactly what he was hired for.

The next year or two are going to be huge for him.

As for Eager his concussions have killed him, he also never really had a good support player for his role. If he goes out and smashes people he's the one who has to answer the bell but he gets rolled in fights and gets concussed easily. Makes a guy in his role pretty ineffective unless you give him a good support player but the problem is it's not really worth constructing your 4th line around a guy like Eager.

I liked the signing originally, I thought it was a year too long but understood that's what the Oilers have to do to bring in free agents.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:00 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
Since it was announced the local media, Tencer, Gregar and a few other have been putting knives into Eager about how he did not understand his role and place with the team
WEll the funny thing about this quote is this is EXACTLY what I was stating about Ben Eager the moment we got him and people can go back to those threads and here me talk about this not being a team guy that marches to his own drummer that figures he's a Jaromir Jagr instead of an enforcer and only fights when the mood moves him, not to protect team mates. Verbatim.

So it took this org two years to realize something that was already a known?
'

Also, I'll mention most of the board disagreed with me and thought the Eager acquisition was solid and would help out.

Replacement is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:05 PM
smokersarejokers

Quote:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

Awful free agents
Awful trades
Awful at hiring coaches
I agree that Tambellini has a less than stellar record, but ro scouting has to take a lot of responsibility.

Foster, Khabibulin, and Eager were bad deals.

Belanger looked good at the time. They needed a faceoff man BAD. I thought he played really well at the start of this season.

Barker was a very low risk move. Tambellini acknowledged that.

Comrie actually looked pretty good when he was healthy. Short term, low risk deal too.

You don't mention that he claimed Ryan Jones on waivers, which has worked out great for them.

I love the Fistric and Brown deals too.

I'm not a huge Tambellini fan, but I also don;t think he's the worst GM ever.

smokersarejokers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:13 PM
Spawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersarejokers View Post
I agree that Tambellini has a less than stellar record, but ro scouting has to take a lot of responsibility.

Foster, Khabibulin, and Eager were bad deals.

Belanger looked good at the time. They needed a faceoff man BAD. I thought he played really well at the start of this season.

Barker was a very low risk move. Tambellini acknowledged that.

Comrie actually looked pretty good when he was healthy. Short term, low risk deal too.

You don't mention that he claimed Ryan Jones on waivers, which has worked out great for them.

I love the Fistric and Brown deals too.

I'm not a huge Tambellini fan, but I also don;t think he's the worst GM ever.
Just because a move was low risk doesn't mean it worked out. They were failed experiments. It didn't cost the team anything, but it didn't help them at all. Nothing Tambellini does helps this team.

I'll give Tambellini credit on one thing though. He seems decent at the minor trades.

The Sutton trade was solid, same with the Fistric one and so far through 3 games Brown looks not 1/2 bad. Problem is that they are all 3rd pairing/4th liners. Guys who in all honesty don't actually help you win games.

And yes, some of this is on pro scouting. Not willing to give them a pass at all. The management from head to toe has been an epic failure. Heck, even scouting to be honest seems to be pretty shaky.

The 1st overalls are gimmes. Eberle was a good pick. Klefbom looks promising. Outside of the 1st round though when was the last time we had a player who succeeded? It is too early to tell with a bunch of these guys but quite a few of our guys are looking pretty bad early in their pro careers.

As I said... it isn't just the free agent signings, it is everything with Tambellini. He hasn't done a single thing to improve this team other than draft first overall picks that each year were the consensus 1st overall.

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Pablo Aimar
MBA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
You made the same mistake.

The day of the signing you said you liked Eager and that he'll be a good fit here.
In fairness, no one is paying guymez upwards of $500k for his hockey expertise like they are Tambellini.

Pablo Aimar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:42 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Just because a move was low risk doesn't mean it worked out. They were failed experiments. It didn't cost the team anything, but it didn't help them at all. Nothing Tambellini does helps this team.
Does anyone think though that the trend we are seeing with enforcers/agitators trying to be something else is BECAUSE we are rebuilding??? I mean it is kind of suspicious really that guys like Eager Hordichuk SMac are so open about playing "with young kids" and "being part of a rebuild"... I think it is because they see a chance to try and be Wayne Gretzky... they figure what the hell better a chance at trying to beat out five teenagers for ice time in the top six over guaranteed 2 minutes a night on middling teams... Tambellini and whoever need to be a little more skeptical I think when someone is jumping through hoops to be here... heck enforcer or anyone... we're a mess and unless you have some geographic connection to Edmonton... or you are friends with the young core... you should want to stay the hell away from Rexall Place

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:56 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cawz View Post
Yeah, agree on all parts. Its hard finding a tough guy that doesnt take dumb penalties, but Eager would make the refs job pretty easy sometimes.

And yeah, Brown has looked great for the role, but that small sample size greatness is a killer. Whitney and Souray played lights out before going **** up. Hell, I remember Isbister's first game (I think) with the Oiler when he looked like a stud (not sure why he popped into my head, but whatever).
I thought Isbister was going to be a stud also. I remember meeting him and Matt Greene, they were enormous for hockey players, especially Isbister. They looked like they should have been NFL linebackers.

Back to the main topic. Eager has been a huge disappointment. Not once do I remember him standing up for the kids after they took a big hit or were getting roughed up. I thought it was a great signing after watching him in Chicago's cup run but I guess the concussions finally caught up to him.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:05 PM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

Pretty fickle move for an organization that trotted Georges Laraque out every game for a decade in the guise of "enforcer".

Correct move though, and maybe a sign of accountability to come.

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:06 PM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pablo Aimar View Post
In fairness, no one is paying guymez upwards of $500k for his hockey expertise like they are Tambellini.
Absolutely. And I'll bet he makes quite a bit more than that.

But also in fairness, when we make our predictions, we have nothing on the line. No pressure whatsoever.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:07 PM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I'm not surprised he's still employed because he's done pretty much exactly what he was hired for.
Well said Seph.

The man was hired either because he was known to be an incompetent or a genius at pretending to be one.

Personally I lean toward the former, but it makes little difference.
As long as the mandate from the owner doesn't change it doesn't much matter who sits in the GM chair.

Its a disgrace that the team is getting away with the shameless display of losing they have subjected the fans, the city, the legacy and even the league to under the Katz regime.

Not only does Tamby still have his job, Mr Katz just gave him a new "multi-year" deal. So don't expect changes anytime soon.

I suspect the plan" is to start trying as soon as the shining new palace gets erected downtown.
At that point the useful idiot will have outlived his usefulness.

harpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Smog

Too bad. His career is coming to an end.

Smog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:27 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

I'm just really hoping if someone claims him, its an eastern conference team. I'd really hate if a team like Vancouver claims him

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:35 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
I'm just really hoping if someone claims him, its an eastern conference team. I'd really hate if a team like Vancouver claims him
Don't sweat it, that's probably the last team in the entire NHL that would claim Ben Eager.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:41 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
Don't sweat it, that's probably the last team in the entire NHL that would claim Ben Eager.
All the more reason to claim him. He can't do anything to you when he's on your team

The Nuge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:43 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Man I didn't see this coming, makes the potential third in the Brown trade make more sense.

It's weird. I'm going to assume they believe he will make it past waivers because if he's claimed we have created another depth issue after fixing it. If Brown gets hurt and the coach won't play Hordi? then what?

He's more experienced than most of our roster, but also mostly ineffective and undisciplined. So I guess the starting line-up got better at the expense of some experience and grit on the roster. I dunno, if he's claimed I don't think this was wise unless there was attitude issues.

On the other hand, our management made a tough decision! That I like. We've really avoided waivers and much if any risk so they obviously felt Eager was a detriment and did something about it which is good. So I guess even if he's claimed and Brown breaks his foot in the next game, at least someone is starting to make decisions.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:45 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
All the more reason to claim him. He can't do anything to you when he's on your team
For some reason I don't think he'd fit too well in their locker room.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:46 PM
plikestechno

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl Katz Fan Club View Post
Pretty fickle move for an organization that trotted Georges Laraque out every game for a decade in the guise of "enforcer".

Correct move though, and maybe a sign of accountability to 6come.
Are you kidding? Georges was the most feared guy in the league for years. Guys didn't go with him that much because they were worried he'd knock them out. Eager doesnt scare anybody. They were probably more worried about being cheap shotted from behind than fighting him.

The only thing Georges shares with Eager is that they both thought they were better players than they actually were and never wanted to be known just for fighting. As flakey as georges laraque is he's ten times the man and teammate ben eager is.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:49 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

I was really hoping Eager would have a solid bounceback season this year under Krueger. I think he had the potential to be an elite **** disturber type of player... fast, hits hard and has decent hands.

In "theory" that's basically the ultimate type of bottom 6 player.

For whatever reason though... injuries + other personality issues in his own head plus in the dressing room with coaches/players (and I'm only speculating based on hearsay and rumours so I wont get into details)... he has just never been able to live up to his potential with the Oilers.

I'm actually disappointed that a player with so many tools and obvious skills has not been able to live up to his promise and finds himself cast away from yet another team.

He could/should/would have been a really solid asset for the Oilers but it's simply not meant to be.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Eager is gone because he was supposed to stick up for the kids and chip in some serviceable minutes. He has been concussed at least twice after he signed and simply cannot fight so he cannot do his job. Sure he is fast and is a decent grinder, but he seems to have attitude issues and since he cannot do what his main role was, he is gone. Simple as that.

If he had a higher rating on my avatar, he might have been able to stay, but he is just another fringe fourth liner now. Hartikainen is better at the role Eager might be able to do now.

He looks to me to be on the same road Fetoruk took towards the end of his career. Fighters are plentiful. When you cannot fight, you are done. It's a harsh part of the business, but it is the reality of the business.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:23 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Absolutely. And I'll bet he makes quite a bit more than that.

But also in fairness, when we make our predictions, we have nothing on the line. No pressure whatsoever.
So thats your excuse for Oiler management...pressure?

guymez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:29 AM
Oiltankjob Fail

I think Brown will improve skill wise on this team and will be a great 4 line contributer.

Oiltankjob Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:38 AM
okgooil

Quote:

2009:

2010:

2011:

2012:

Awful free agents
Awful trades
Awful at hiring coaches
Brutal, and really, Shultz was a no brainer. for whatever miracle he clearly wanted to play here. The rest just suck, he has really failed to fill holes on this team.

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 AM
Seachd

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
So thats your excuse for Oiler management...pressure?
I don't believe I made an excuse for Oiler management? What do excuses have to do with anything?

I said it's easy enough for us to come out with our predictions because it doesn't mean anything when we bumble them, as you did with Eager.

I haven't said Tambellini is a good GM. I'm saying we, as posters, are all perfect GMs of the armchair variety.

Seachd is offline   Reply With Quote