HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 08:37 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALee10 View Post
Why burn the amnesty on such a small contract? I'm not sure if the amnesty extends beyond next year but if it does, it's better to eat Schultz's salary and play Chimera. Let Wilson develop more, there's no sense in rushing him in.
Amnesty can be used this offseason or next offseason (and you get 2). Thing is, Caps don't have many obvious candidates for the buyout. Agree, if you think you'll need one (or both), save them. But if you don't, no sense burying guys when that does little for the cap; might as well amnesty them if you really want to get rid of them that badly.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:43 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
Sure they'll be backing in. Other teams ahead of them will be screwing the pooch. Carolina lately is a perfectly example with their 5 losses in a row.
Well the Caps will be playing head to head with every team they are competing with for a playoff spot it seems.

If they make the playoffs they won't be backing in. Either way once you make the playoffs then anything can happen. Kings certainly didn't look like world beaters until they got in and got hot at the right time. Tons of examples of this in the past.

Remember the 1990 Caps team finished under .500 and did serious damage in the playoffs until injuries caught up to them.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
I think you're overreacting just a little....this team currently has 3 point per game players in Ovi, Nicky and Ribz, a far better 2nd line in Ribz, Brouwer and Laich....throw in Ott on the 3rd line with Talbot and Ward and then Hendricks,Beagle and Fehr and there is NO WAY the 2009-2010 bottom 6 (Belanger, B. Morrison, Gordon, Steckel,Chimera and Bradley)beats this proposed bottom 6 (Ott, Talbot, Ward, Hendricks,Fehr and Beagle)
In fact it's completely insane to think they do considering I've eliminated Chimera and Fehr is now in the bottom 6.
Yeah I included Morrison in the bottom 6 cos he was garbage 2nd line center.

Not to mention that Alzner,Green, Regehr, Carlson, Erskine, Orlov, Orleksy and Kundratek are better than Morrison, Corvo, Poti,Schultz, Sloan, Jurcina , a younger Alzner, and Carlson in 2009-2010.

Like I said, I'm not advocating selling the farm, but if you're in the bloody playoffs, you have to go for it,....sure you try to discern how much you should do at the deadline, but again, I think this team is better than 2009-2010.
As for the 30 games this season,......I'm going to be a little more realistic and chalk it up to a new coach, new system, 1 week training camp and injuries....but hey that's just silly old me.
You're delusional, sorry. That team was the best the Caps have ever had. They were a 121 point team. This one isn't even over .500. Their point-per game players were over an 82 game season, not a 32 game sample. Two of them were 100 point players, the other a 40 goal scorer. Nobody on this team is even on a 90 point full season pace.

And yes, that team's bottom-6 was better. There were two 20-goal scorers on the 3rd line for much of the year, for crying out loud.

If you're advocating getting Ott, Talbot, and Regehr (again, three mediocre players), you're advocating selling the farm. How do you think they'd be acquired? Through the charity of Buffalo and Philly?

Adding three mediocre players to a team that's mediocre at best is not the recipe for winning a Cup, sorry. We can't get Florida or Winnipeg every playoff round.

Other than against Winnipeg, the Caps have ONE win over teams currently in the top 6 in the East.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
You're delusional, sorry. That team was the best the Caps have ever had. They were a 121 point team. This one isn't even over .500. Their point-per game players were over an 82 game season, not a 32 game sample. Two of them were 100 point players, the other a 40 goal scorer. Nobody on this team is even on a 90 point full season pace.

And yes, that team's bottom-6 was better. There were two 20-goal scorers on the 3rd line for much of the year, for crying out loud.

If you're advocating getting Ott, Talbot, and Regehr (again, three mediocre players), you're advocating selling the farm. How do you think they'd be acquired? Through the charity of Buffalo and Philly?

Adding three mediocre players to a team that's mediocre at best is not the recipe for winning a Cup, sorry. We can't get Florida or Winnipeg every playoff round.

Other than against Winnipeg, the Caps have ONE win over teams currently in the top 6 in the East.
In 88-89 the Caps had a great team. They won the Patrick division and had 3 different 40 goal scorers (Ridley, Courtnall and Dino) and a 37 goal scorer in David Christian. They lost inthe 1st round of the playoffs.

In 89-90 the Caps had a down year finishing under .500 and squeaking into the playoffs. They made it to the ECF.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:03 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Well the Caps will be playing head to head with every team they are competing with for a playoff spot it seems.

If they make the playoffs they won't be backing in. Either way once you make the playoffs then anything can happen. Kings certainly didn't look like world beaters until they got in and got hot at the right time. Tons of examples of this in the past.

Remember the 1990 Caps team finished under .500 and did serious damage in the playoffs until injuries caught up to them.
The only reason the Caps are even in striking distance is that Canes have lost 5 in a row and the Rags have only won 3 of their last 9. We're benefiting from poor play of those ahead of us and an abysmal division..

Regarding the Kings last year, they were an elite possession team, and the peripheral stats reflected well on them. That's not the case with the Caps. The Kings also had a strong group on defense and a Vezina goalie. The Caps have neither.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:04 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
In 88-89 the Caps had a great team. They won the Patrick division and had 3 different 40 goal scorers (Ridley, Courtnall and Dino) and a 37 goal scorer in David Christian. They lost inthe 1st round of the playoffs.

In 89-90 the Caps had a down year finishing under .500 and squeaking into the playoffs. They made it to the ECF.
So we should rely on dumb luck instead of prudence?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:08 AM
fsnoles98

Quote:
The only reason the Caps are even in striking distance is that Canes have lost 5 in a row and the Rags have only won 3 of their last 9. We're benefiting from poor play of those ahead of us and an abysmal division..

Regarding the Kings last year, they were an elite possession team, and the peripheral stats reflected well on them. That's not the case with the Caps. The Kings also had a strong group on defense and a Vezina goalie. The Caps have neither.
And lets not forget that our divisions overall is terrible, so to win the division says nothing.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
So we should rely on dumb luck instead of prudence?
Anything can happen in the playoffs. For instance a hot goalie can take you a LONG way.

The 89-90 team and the 88-89 team is a good comparison. Much the same team but one had a great deal more success post season than the other. A great regular season can go right down the drain in the playoffs and vice a versa.

I've seen a LOT of worse teams than the Caps this year squeak into the playoffs in years past and go on a run. The 90-91 North Stars the 05-06 Oilers for example. Also how Montreal Halaked both us and the Pens.

The Flyers in 09-10 looked like a completely dysfunctional team until the playoffs started. They barely made it in ...didn't it take a shootout in the last game of the season for them to do so?

There are many many more examples.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

yup flyers made it on a SO win over the rangers on the last game of the season then went on to game 6 of the finals.

Get in the tournament and anything can happen.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
yup flyers made it on a SO win over the rangers on the last game of the season then went on to game 6 of the finals.

Get in the tournament and anything can happen.
The Caps of all teams should know this!

The top 4 all time Caps teams IMO and how they faired:

1. 09-10 - 121 pts and lost in 1st round to hot goalie
2. 85-86 - Dominant team. lost in 2nd round to Rags..hot goalie
3. 91-92 - Scotty Bowman said we were the best team in the league. Common knowledge that we would have beaten blackhawks. Lost in 1st round
4. 88-89 - Aforementioned...lost in 1st round

Our team in 89-90 finished under .500 and 97-98 we really weren't a great team on paper...but funny things happen in the playoffs. Goalies get hot...or players go all John Druce of Fernando Pasani.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:23 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Anything can happen in the playoffs. For instance a hot goalie can take you a LONG way.

The 89-90 team and the 88-89 team is a good comparison. Much the same team but one had a great deal more success post season than the other. A great regular season can go right down the drain in the playoffs and vice a versa.

I've seen a LOT of worse teams than the Caps this year squeak into the playoffs in years past and go on a run. The 90-91 North Stars the 05-06 Oilers for example. Also how Montreal Halaked both us and the Pens.

The Flyers in 09-10 looked like a completely dysfunctional team until the playoffs started. They barely made it in ...didn't it take a shootout in the last game of the season for them to do so?

You don't see a wee bit of difference in the level of competition those teams faced versus that the Caps faced?

I can't recall a worse division than the Southeast this year.

Again, of the top 6 seeds, the Caps have one win over a non Southeast opponent.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:28 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
You don't see a wee bit of difference in the level of competition those teams faced versus that the Caps faced?

Lets look at 08-09. We played the Pens 4 times in the regular season and I think we won 3 of those and lost the other one in a shootout. I could be wrong. Either way in the playoffs we lost to them.

My point is that regular season success/failure is no guarantee of how you will do in the playoffs. Its been proven time and time again.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:29 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:

What does that matter come playoff time?

We swept tampa in the regular season few years back and they knocked us out in 4 games in the playoffs.

Are you really scared of the leafs, jets, sens, or habs in a 7 game playoff?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:31 AM
BobRouse

Quote:

We swept tampa in the regular season few years back and they knocked us out in 4 games in the playoffs.

Or Boston for that matter. Jersey isn't exactly a force either.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:32 AM
RandyHolt
Capitals Station

vCash: 1100
There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

We are not selling, its time to be ready to part with some draft picks, actually.

Its time to talk about who we will be adding at the deadline.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Lets look at 08-09. We played the Pens 4 times in the regular season and I think we won 3 of those and lost the other one in a shootout. I could be wrong. Either way in the playoffs we lost to them.

My point is that regular season success/failure is no guarantee of how you will do in the playoffs. Its been proven time and time again.
Sure, sometimes it's not an indicator.

So are you an advocate of being a buyer at the deadline? Do you think it's wise to overpay in assets to boost a hugely flawed team that's been the epitome of suck until the last 4 games?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:52 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

I think our trade deadline was getting Green, Orlov, Brooks, and Mojo back. Ernskine back this weekend to. Finally having a full roster 1st time this season and Caps playing like a contender.

Old
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:

Yes, I am 'scared' of the Sens and Habs in a 7 game playoff. I think the Caps would get worked by either one of those teams.

Are we really going to just ignore all of the poor play we've seen this year?

Do we really want to ignore what's going to happen to us next season and beyond?

Old
Acallabeth
Seriously coach?

Send a message via Skype™ to Acallabeth
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Its time to talk about who we will be adding at the deadline.
Jagr?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
I think our trade deadline was getting Green, Orlov, Brooks, and Mojo back. Ernskine back this weekend to. Finally having a full roster 1st time this season and Caps playing like a contender.
Wouldn't contenders beat, you know, good teams?

the Caps are playing like a team that's beating up on the Southeast.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:

Voice of reason right here.

Agreed 100%. We're in the thick of things right now. We don't sell. We don't sell a thing. If anything GMGM should be looking to add a couple of pieces if he can by the TDL. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen. Don't care if we have to face the Pens. We played them very well last week. A couple of bounces our way and we could've beat 'em soundly.

Btw, I remember reading the same crap last year - "OMG BOSTON IS GOING TO KILL US, WE SHOULD'VE TANKED!"

Old
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Sure, sometimes it's not an indicator.

So are you an advocate of being a buyer at the deadline? Do you think it's wise to overpay in assets to boost a hugely flawed team that's been the epitome of suck until the last 4 games?
Thats a difficult question isn't it? This whole situation is tough and you can see points from any angle you look at it whether its to be sellers or buyers.

Personally I would just stand pat. The market it too expensive it seems especially for a team in our position. Sure we could use a natural 3rd line center, a top 6 winger and perhaps a hardnosed top 4 D but the price would be prohibitive for us.

Lets see how the next few games go. If the TDL was today I'd probably stand pat.

I personally think with a healthy lineup we are looking good and not hugely flawed.

Quote:
Yes, I am 'scared' of the Sens and Habs in a 7 game playoff. I think the Caps would get worked by either one of those teams.

Do we really want to ignore what's going to happen to us next season and beyond?
I'm certain you thought we'd get worked by Boston last year as well. Most people did it seemed at the time

Old
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

15-16-1.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:55 AM
txpd

@nbtw. i am having trouble putting my thoughts into words here, so forgive me if this sound goofy. you are saying that the caps losing 5 in a row early and making it up with a 5 game winning streak late, while an opponent wins 5 in a row early and loses 5 in a row late is a poor reflection on the capitals.

earl weaver's orioles always started slow and finished hot. were those teams always backing in??

this is the ultimate a team loses only when they dont show up. if the caps make the playoffs here, its because the rest of the teams all stopped showing up.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:57 AM
txpd

Quote:

ive heard bryce salvadore on this subject on this system and what it looks like for the first 20-25 games.

i think you ignore the past poor play when the current improved play becomes the standard.

Closed Thread