HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
@nbtw. i am having trouble putting my thoughts into words here, so forgive me if this sound goofy. you are saying that the caps losing 5 in a row early and making it up with a 5 game winning streak late, while an opponent wins 5 in a row early and loses 5 in a row late is a poor reflection on the capitals.

earl weaver's orioles always started slow and finished hot. were those teams always backing in??

this is the ultimate a team loses only when they dont show up. if the caps make the playoffs here, its because the rest of the teams all stopped showing up.
I'm saying that the Caps aren't lighting it up, and the only reason they're in contention is the poor play of those ahead of them, notably Carolina and the Rags.

There's absolutely no comparison between a shortened, 48 game hockey season and the grind of a 162 game MLB season. None, whatsoever.

Old
03-26-2013, 08:59 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
ive heard bryce salvadore on this subject on this system and what it looks like for the first 20-25 games.

i think you ignore the past poor play when the current improved play becomes the standard.
So would you advocate that Columbus be a buyer at the deadline?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:00 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
15-16-1.
Take away OT loser points from teams and caps right there with rest of playoff teams.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ovechkins Wodka View Post
Take away OT loser points from teams and caps right there with rest of playoff teams.
Take away wins from a bunch of teams, and the Caps are top 3 in the conference.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:02 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
and the only reason they're in contention is the poor play of those ahead of them, notably Carolina and the Rags.
Its usually because of two things. One is what you mention there. The 2nd is because Caps are playing good hockey right now. Perhaps still a bit inconsistent but they're playing well. Gotta give 'em credit where credit is due. I understand the division is horrendous but beating the living crap out of Winnipeg IN Winnipeg, division leading Winnipeg, isn't nothing. A little credit maybe?

Old
03-26-2013, 09:05 AM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Its usually because of two things. One is what you mention there. The 2nd is because Caps are playing good hockey right now. Perhaps still a bit inconsistent but they're playing well. Gotta give 'em credit where credit is due. I understand the division is horrendous but beating the living crap out of Winnipeg IN Winnipeg, division leading Winnipeg, isn't nothing. A little credit maybe?
Given how terrible WPG is at home this season, it's not all that much.

Their only hope is that there's maybe 4 good teams in the East right now. Several bad teams will make the playoffs, so the Caps could get in despite being a bad team.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:06 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Sure, they've played well over the last four. Nobody's denying that.

I'm not sure why anyone is coming to the conclusion that this is somehow now the standard of play we'll consistently see from here on out, however.

I'll pose the same question to you that I did to txpd:

Would you advocate that Columbus be a buyer at the deadline? They've been significantly better than the Caps over the last 10. They've actually beaten good teams (Detroit, Vancouver)in that span, and they're the same number of points out.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:10 AM
Ovechkins Wodka

Quote:

I'm not sure why anyone is coming to the conclusion that this is somehow now the standard of play we'll consistently see from here on out, however.

Would you advocate that Columbus be a buyer at the deadline? They've been significantly better than the Caps over the last 10. They've actually beaten good teams (Detroit, Vancouver)in that span, and they're the same number of points out.
If they buy the right player why not?

and caps are different then CBJ, Caps core has been to the playoffs the last 6 years CBJ has been at the bottom of the league

Old
03-26-2013, 09:12 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Because it's a strong seller's market and they're going to have to overpay to get anything significant without a good chance of winning anything.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:13 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:

The difference is the talent available on both the teams. Would you agree that we're the more talented team? We've got three guys who are at a PPG pace right now. Ovi is heating up. Nicky is playing well. Ribs has been playing well the entire season. Laich is back. Green is back. All these guys have been in the playoffs multiple times the last few years. So the thinking should be totally different for this team than it is for Columbus. We've got the talent, we've got the stars to be make something happen. For me personally, as long as we have Ovi and Nicky playing at a high level and we're in the thick of things, our GM should be trying his best to add pieces to the team.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Maryland17

Quote:

Nope! They are in re-build mode. No reason to sell off parts there, unless similar trades to us snagging Fedorov for Ruth.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:

and caps are different then CBJ, Caps core has been to the playoffs the last 6 years CBJ has been at the bottom of the league
I agree with this but not because of the reasoning you provided. They aren't parallels because of the schedules remaining, players in IR, etc. I get the point that was trying to be made but it's not quite a black / white comparison.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:21 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

We all know what's going to happen. Ted needs his playoff money, so no chance Ribeiro is traded. The team either does or doesn't get in. GMGM won't add, because the price will be inflated. And in the offseason, Ribeiro will walk because GMGM doesn't want to give him security.

Fire George

Old
03-26-2013, 09:29 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Some people are just blindly negative about everything other than losing

Old
03-26-2013, 09:37 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Some people are just blindly negative about everything other than losing
Nope. Apparently some people are just blindly positive, and can't think long-term.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
The difference is the talent available on both the teams. Would you agree that we're the more talented team? We've got three guys who are at a PPG pace right now. Ovi is heating up. Nicky is playing well. Ribs has been playing well the entire season. Laich is back. Green is back. All these guys have been in the playoffs multiple times the last few years. So the thinking should be totally different for this team than it is for Columbus. We've got the talent, we've got the stars to be make something happen. For me personally, as long as we have Ovi and Nicky playing at a high level and we're in the thick of things, our GM should be trying his best to add pieces to the team.
We have no scoring depth, a porous defense, a horrendous PK. The talent you speak of that's had the multiple playoff runs hasn't gotten us anywhere in those runs.

I don't get why people can't grasp the concept that you need to pick your spots when adding, else you'll be left with no organizational depth, and a bleak short-term outlook.

If we add pieces and they don't work, where does that leave us next year when we're in a real division? We won't be able to add through trade, as we'll have have exhausted assets at the deadline for a fool's hope this year. Our draft be will likely be worse (if we even still have it), so there's a lesser likelihood of an impact addition there. And there's not much on the UFA market this season, other than complementary players.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:44 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Nope. Apparently some people are just blindly positive, and can't think long-term.
How can you say with such conviction that what you propose will help out this team long-term? There are teams that tank year in and year out and still aren't able to compete for the playoffs. There are teams that give up decent players for prospects and picks and still can't compete. Unfortunately there isn't a single definite way to build a competitive team. And even if there were, what makes you think GMGM has the ability to do it? He hasn't so far, so tanking really isn't going to achieve anything. Make the playoffs, just perhaps out of sheer luck maybe we manage to do some damage. At the very least I keep getting to watch the team I like.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
How can you say with such conviction that what you propose will help out this team long-term? There are teams that tank year in and year out and still aren't able to compete for the playoffs. There are teams that give up decent players for prospects and picks and still can't compete. Unfortunately there isn't a single definite way to build a competitive team. And even if there were, what makes you think GMGM has the ability to do it? He hasn't so far, so tanking really isn't going to achieve anything. Make the playoffs, just perhaps out of sheer luck maybe we manage to do some damage. At the very least I keep getting to watch the team I like.
I can say with such conviction that it's the most prudent course. The more valuable assets you have, the more options you have to shape the team.

I'd prefer to rely on prudence and planning to build success, rather than 'sheer luck'.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
We have no scoring depth, a porous defense, a horrendous PK. The talent you speak of that's had the multiple playoff runs hasn't gotten us anywhere in those runs.

I don't get why people can't grasp the concept that you need to pick your spots when adding, else you'll be left with no organizational depth, and a bleak short-term outlook.

If we add pieces and they don't work, where does that leave us next year when we're in a real division? We won't be able to add through trade, as we'll have have exhausted assets at the deadline for a fool's hope this year. Our draft be will likely be worse (if we even still have it), so there's a lesser likelihood of an impact addition there. And there's not much on the UFA market this season, other than complementary players.
We have more scoring depth this year than we did last year, or the year before IMO. We seem to have two legitimate lines than can score. Seriously, when was the last time we had that? We have three guys who are on a PPG pace, the last time we had that was 2009-2010? The year Semin scored 40 goals.

I don't agree with your assessment of this defense. I think its solid top to bottom. And that its our goalies that have been inconsistent.

I'll agree with the PK. That is worrisome.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:49 AM
tmljeh19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
We all know what's going to happen. Ted needs his playoff money, so no chance Ribeiro is traded. The team either does or doesn't get in. GMGM won't add, because the price will be inflated. And in the offseason, Ribeiro will walk because GMGM doesn't want to give him security.

Fire George
Completely agree! GMGM is content on getting in and getting hot. Instead of making a move that might be better short term for a run he would rather hoard his prospects and picks for fear of them working out elsewhere. I'd MUCH rather make a risky move and lose in the ECF or SCF then hold onto all the cards and get bounced in the first round again. Major props to him for making a risky move not being a puss for fear of some prospect or pick turning into something useful elsewhere.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:51 AM
tmljeh19*

Quote:

And at what point do you stop banging your head into the same wall repeatedly expecting different results? We've done the "get in and get hot" approach. I'm not advocating to sell the farm but one major move for a top 6 scorer or top 4 D isn't going to kill this team for years to come.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:53 AM
RandyHolt
Registered Loser

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acallabeth View Post
Jagr?
Doubtful, but maybe.

Last year it was simply calling Aucoin. Laich has replaced Wolski, Orlov has replaced Sarge. We may be set. While I would want another scoring winger added, maybe a tough RW Asham class would be a nice addition.

I would love to have an energy line that actually hits. Volpatti cannot get a sweater but think its high time to get him in for Chimera, if only for a game.

Old
03-26-2013, 09:54 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
We have more scoring depth this year than we did last year, or the year before IMO. We seem to have two legitimate lines than can score. Seriously, when was the last time we had that? We have three guys who are on a PPG pace, the last time we had that was 2009-2010? The year Semin scored 40 goals.

I don't agree with your assessment of this defense. I think its solid top to bottom. And that its our goalies that have been inconsistent.

I'll agree with the PK. That is worrisome.
We've had those two legitimate lines for what, 3 games? How can you conclude that they can consistently score?

And the Caps are 25th in the NHL in SA/G. That's pretty damn porous.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:00 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
We've had those two legitimate lines for what, 3 games? How can you conclude that they can consistently score?

And the Caps are 25th in the NHL in SA/G. That's pretty damn porous.
Yeah but they have been decimated on D for most of the season and are now healthy.

Do you think those stats would be different if we had our top Dmen? Orlov, Green, Hillen, Erskine, Poti, Kundratek etc all injured for prolonged periods.

Not many teams can withstand that in additon to missing 2 top 6 forwards.

Again ..a different team with its full compliment or anything closely resembling it.

Old
03-26-2013, 10:01 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Voice of reason right here.

Agreed 100%. We're in the thick of things right now. We don't sell. We don't sell a thing. If anything GMGM should be looking to add a couple of pieces if he can by the TDL. Get in the playoffs and anything can happen. Don't care if we have to face the Pens. We played them very well last week. A couple of bounces our way and we could've beat 'em soundly.

Btw, I remember reading the same crap last year - "OMG BOSTON IS GOING TO KILL US, WE SHOULD'VE TANKED!"
Ironically, had we traded Wideman we would have gotten a first and we might have made the ECF.

Closed Thread