HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 11:02 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRouse View Post
Yeah but they have been decimated on D for most of the season and are now healthy.

Do you think those stats would be different if we had our top Dmen? Orlov, Green, Hillen, Erskine, Poti, Kundratek etc all injured for prolonged periods.

Not many teams can withstand that in additon to missing 2 top 6 forwards.

Again ..a different team with its full compliment or anything closely resembling it.
I don't think any of Hillen, Poti, Kundratek, or even Erskine make the defense any less porous.

Come on, you of all people should be with me on the need for a top-4 defenseman.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:03 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So we should rely on dumb luck instead of prudence?
Punchers chance/Coin toss strategy. This is the 3rd version of the highly touted 5 year plan. Just make the playoffs and hope to catch a break.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Given how terrible WPG is at home this season, it's not all that much.
Also, we're 0-1 against Winnipeg when they have their best player in the lineup.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:05 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
Ironically, had we traded Wideman we would have gotten a first and we might have made the ECF.
Probably, but if it was anything like when Bruce lost Flash and the team went into a tailspin, I wouldn't be so certain. Dale liked Wideman, presumed for the entertainment factor. We may have missed the playoffs.

And there is zero chance we sell spare part mr minus Sarge either, but I would like to see George move someone off the roster if he insists on an add. Position of depth has been and remains LD. Lets trade some trash, you don't always have to burn picks at the TDL

Old
03-26-2013, 11:06 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
I don't think any of Hillen, Poti, Kundratek, or even Erskine make the defense any less porous.

Come on, you of all people should be with me on the need for a top-4 defenseman.
Thats alot of depth we lose out on! That definitely hurts the D.

Erskine was certainly playing like a top 4 dman prior to injury and missing our #1 Dman in Green is not to be overlooked as it slotted everyone up and really wore out Carlson. Also not having Orlov for the entire year hurt bad.

The D is as good as its been since McPhee took over. When healthy that is.

Our main problem was top 6. We are thin there as the Laich and MJ injuries proved. We can't afford any injuries there at all.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

Quote:
I can say with such conviction that it's the most prudent course. The more valuable assets you have, the more options you have to shape the team.

I'd prefer to rely on prudence and planning to build success, rather than 'sheer luck'.
That depends on what the goal is. If the goal is to better position themselves to win a Cup in the coming years then sure. If it's just to make the playoffs every year then the path is much more haphazard. Not that the later is really building success so much as sustaining mediocrity.

@ice_chip: Hearing Jokinen, Wallace to go on waivers at noon.

Dive, McPhee. Dive!

Edit: Didn't know he had a year left so...no. Unless Ribs is a goner.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:10 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Jussi Jokinen rumored to be placed on waivers today. Any interest?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Jokinen will get claimed by someone below the Caps in the standings. Not so sure about Wallace.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:12 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
He makes $3 mil next year. Big NO!

Old
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
One more year @$3 mil after this season. Trending downward the last 3 seasons.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:13 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

So for those committed to contending this season, it looks to me like we need a top six lw to play with Ovi and two top pairing dmen -one to play with Green and one to replace him as necessary.

Targets and offers?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:16 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
So for those committed to contending this season, it looks to me like we need a top six lw to play with Ovi and two top pairing dmen -one to play with Green and one to replace him as necessary.

Targets and offers?
Yes. We got MJ and Brooks Laich back. Green is playing with this Alzner fellow who's pretty good. As is Carlson, Orlov and Oleksy.

I'd like to see us add John Erskine.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:20 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Quote:

Targets and offers?
I think they're fine as is. Johansson looks good with Backstrom and Ovechkin and so does Ribeiro's line. The defense looks more than capable with everyone back and holtby has been lights out. If anything I'd like to upgrade the 3rd line. Someone like drew stafford would be nice.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:24 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Jokinen heh. Mini Caps killer IIRC. Par for the course with those pesky fins.

Who are we planning to use on amnesty's on? If George has no plans to buy out Chimera or Sarge or anyone for that matter, 1 could be used on waiver dumpster dive. His big deadline add. It has to be an improvement over last years.... callup. Of Aucoin.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:32 AM
BrooklynCapsFan

Old
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
We've had those two legitimate lines for what, 3 games? How can you conclude that they can consistently score?
Thats fair. But... Ribs has been playing well all season. Brouwer is 2nd in goals behind Ovi. Laich, though I give him crap, is a decent player. Is there any particular reason you feel that that line couldn't produce? Ovi is ovi. Even in his crappiest year the guy is going to lead this team in goals. Nicky's a beast. I know its only been 3 games since thosee lines have been constructed, but at least on paper you'd figure we have two decent scoring lines. But you're right, we need to look at more games and see if these guys can consistently keep doing it.

Quote:
And the Caps are 25th in the NHL in SA/G. That's pretty damn porous.
I still maintain that most of that is because of how inconsistent our goalies have been. Holtby has only recently started to play solid games and I hope he keeps it up.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:46 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycoonheart View Post
Thats fair. But... Ribs has been playing well all season. Brouwer is 2nd in goals behind Ovi. Laich, though I give him crap, is a decent player. Is there any particular reason you feel that that line couldn't produce? Ovi is ovi. Even in his crappiest year the guy is going to lead this team in goals. Nicky's a beast. I know its only been 3 games since thosee lines have been constructed, but at least on paper you'd figure we have two decent scoring lines. But you're right, we need to look at more games and see if these guys can consistently keep doing it.

I still maintain that most of that is because of how inconsistent our goalies have been. Holtby has only recently started to play solid games and I hope he keeps it up.
How on Earth does shots against/game have anything to do with the play of the goalies?

Old
03-26-2013, 11:48 AM
tycoonheart

Oops my bad, I mistakenly read that as goals against. My apologies.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:49 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
No kidding. One 5 game stretch and all is suddenly well.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
RandyHolt
Aiko Oshie All Day

Suddenly a new coach with a, you know, a system that takes time to learn, and the team that made it to the playoffs the past 5 years, can't anymore?

Why would you waste a year of Ovi on a pipedream that George can somehow let the team be bad enough to land a top 3 pick?

We are the same team we were last year and year before that. Ovi's team. So we have the annual McPhee punchers chance, and that's all we would have next year if we purposefully tank to prospectbators content.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 03-26-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old
03-26-2013, 11:56 AM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Offense wasnt even a problem with Laich and Johansson out. I don't see how it is one now. They're top 10 in G/G

Old
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

What we think is pretty much immaterial either way. Past tendencies and typical mindset suggests they'll be content riding this recent trend, particularly should it continue into the middle of next week, and seeing where it takes them.

Maybe they get an offer they can't refuse on Ribeiro should there be no extension agreement but that's what it would have to be I think. So long as there's an alternative for a team like Roy then teams needn't blow them away with an offer. Even with him off the market it would depend on just how highly they value the chance of sneaking into the playoffs.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:39 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:

Targets and offers?
Sorry but I can't buy into the MAJO love fest that some are touting here. I don't care how well some believe he's currently playing, he's still soft as Charmins and way too easy to knock off the puck. If we make it to the playoffs, the game becomes more physical and he's just going to disappear.

If the Caps end up resigning Ribeiro, it just makes MAJO all the more superfluous. MAJO still has value, so in the event Ribeiro is resigned the Caps need to move MAJO. He's definitely not the answer at LW.

Said it before, if such a sequence occurs that the Caps resign Ribeiro before the TDL, don't be surprised if GMGM reacquires Flash. GMGM loves his alumni (Halpern,Fehr). I was never a big fan of Flash for the very same reasons as I just noted on MAJO, soft and disappears, but Flash is a bona-fide LW. I could see GMGM moving MAJO and Schultz (due to Flash's 4.5 salary coming back) for Flash.

MAJO's the poster child for why just about every draftee needs to spend time in Hershey.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
Maryland17

4 Games left until TDL.

vs NYI - 3/26
@ BUF - 3/30
@ PHI - 3/31
@ CAR - 4/2

I can see us grabbing 5 of 8 points, but I think GMGM starts exploring after PHI.

What do the Caps need to do (or not do) to become buyers(or sellers)?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:41 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Offense wasnt even a problem with Laich and Johansson out. I don't see how it is one now. They're top 10 in G/G
Only because the PP has been hot/lucky. That could collapse at any moment.

Closed Thread