HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 11:45 AM
Maryland17

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Sorry but I can't buy into the MAJO love fest that some are touting here. I don't care how well some believe he's currently playing, he's still soft as Charmins and way too easy to knock off the puck. If we make it to the playoffs, the game becomes more physical and he's just going to disappear.

If the Caps end up resigning Ribeiro, it just makes MAJO all the more superfluous. MAJO still has value, so in the event Ribeiro is resigned the Caps need to move MAJO. He's definitely not the answer at LW.

Said it before, if such a sequence occurs that the Caps resign Ribeiro before the TDL, don't be surprised if GMGM reacquires Flash. GMGM loves his alumni (Halpern,Fehr). I was never a big fan of Flash for the very same reasons as I just noted on MAJO, soft and disappears, but Flash is a bona-fide LW. I could see GMGM moving MAJO and Schultz (due to Flash's 4.5 salary coming back) for Flash.

MAJO's the poster child for why just about every draftee needs to spend time in Hershey.
Flash will not get traded to WAS. I doubt FLA would trade him for MAJO and +50. We would probably have to include a pick. Only reason it could work is he isn't have the best season(but doesnt help he has no one feeding him the puck).

Old
03-26-2013, 11:51 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland17 View Post
4 Games left until TDL.

vs NYI - 3/26
@ BUF - 3/30
@ PHI - 3/31
@ CAR - 4/2

I can see us grabbing 5 of 8 points, but I think GMGM starts exploring after PHI.

What do the Caps need to do (or not do) to become buyers(or sellers)?
IMO to be buyers they need to win all three of NYI, BUF, PHI in regulation AND have prices go down for rentals.

I don't think there's a scenario in which they're sellers, even if they get 0 points out of the 4 games.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:52 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brs03 View Post
Only because the PP has been hot/lucky. That could collapse at any moment.
Absolutely, but I think PP design is right up Oates's alley, his strength. I hope he could offset adjustments made to stop it.

However, should it come back to earth, couldn't the PK improve, to offset the PP tanking?

It seems like the only way to go is up on our PK. And Brooks may even pot a shortie before the year is up.

Old
03-26-2013, 11:57 AM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
We all know what's going to happen. Ted needs his playoff money, so no chance Ribeiro is traded. The team either does or doesn't get in. GMGM won't add, because the price will be inflated. And in the offseason, Ribeiro will walk because GMGM doesn't want to give him security.

Fire George
We have a winner!

That said,

Fire George

Old
03-26-2013, 11:58 AM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by caps4cup View Post
Offense wasnt even a problem with Laich and Johansson out. I don't see how it is one now. They're top 10 in G/G
Offensive consistency was a problem. They would score 4, 5 or 6 then get shut out or score 1 twice in a row. The average looked OK but they would simply not show up some nights. Hopefully with all the parts back in the lineup, the biggest improvement will be consistency.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:02 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Doubtful, but maybe.

Last year it was simply calling Aucoin. Laich has replaced Wolski, Orlov has replaced Sarge. We may be set. While I would want another scoring winger added, maybe a tough RW Asham class would be a nice addition.

I would love to have an energy line that actually hits. Volpatti cannot get a sweater but think its high time to get him in for Chimera, if only for a game.
TRADE Chimera, preferably for Talbot.

I know NBTW doesnt want Regehr, but I do. I would trade 2 draft picks for him in a heartbeat (or a draft pick and say McNeil or Wey)....as everyone is comparing him to Murray. I frankly think Regehr is a better player than Murray, and I like Murray.

(cue the "but Regehr will cost a fortune" crowd...which is same crowd thay is claiming he sucks. I love how terrible players will somehow cost a fortune to trade for...LOVE that logic!)

That said,

Fire George

Old
03-26-2013, 12:04 PM
CrashTheNet9

Chimera needs to go. He has done nothing.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
I don't think any of Hillen, Poti, Kundratek, or even Erskine make the defense any less porous.

Come on, you of all people should be with me on the need for a top-4 defenseman.
Yes! Agreed on all fronts!

Enter Regehr, stage right!

(although I do like how Erskine is playing, but he ain't a top 4 Dman...perfect bottom pair)

Green-Alzner
Carlson-Erskine
Orlov-Regehr

I think all 6 of those guys can play top 4 minutes, and would be by far our best and most balanced defense since the Hatcher, Iafrate, Johansson, Cote, Reekie, Johnson days of early 90's.

That said,

Fire George

Old
03-26-2013, 12:09 PM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
You don't think other GMs have noticed this as well. I can't believe Chimera has lost that much of his step in such a short time, it has to be an injury or something that we are not aware of. Anyway, if Rutherford could not interest 29 other GMs in Jokinen, do you honestly think GMGM will have success with interesting them in Chimera right now.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:10 PM
brs03
Coo coo ca cha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Absolutely, but I think PP design is right up Oates's alley, his strength. I hope he could offset adjustments made to stop it.

However, should it come back to earth, couldn't the PK improve, to offset the PP tanking?

It seems like the only way to go is up on our PK. And Brooks may even pot a shortie before the year is up.
Oh, absolutely on both counts. I'm hopeful that Oates will adjust once the PP cools off, and hopeful that Laich et al being back will help the PK (I have no idea if the issues there are luck or systemic, but I don't like the way Carlson plays in front of the net on the PK).

So many friggin unknowns with this team.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
Yes! Agreed on all fronts!

Enter Regehr, stage right!

(although I do like how Erskine is playing, but he ain't a top 4 Dman...perfect bottom pair)

Green-Alzner
Carlson-Erskine
Orlov-Regehr

I think all 6 of those guys can play top 4 minutes, and would be by far our best and most balanced defense since the Hatcher, Iafrate, Johansson, Cote, Reekie, Johnson days of early 90's.

That said,

Fire George
Regehr ain't what he was in Calgary. Not an impact defesneman anymore. That shipped sailed, and GMGM missed it.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:16 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksavedave View Post
Offensive consistency was a problem. They would score 4, 5 or 6 then get shut out or score 1 twice in a row. The average looked OK but they would simply not show up some nights. Hopefully with all the parts back in the lineup, the biggest improvement will be consistency.
We have scored 2 goals or less in 16 (half) of our games. I made a box and whisker plot of gf/game because I'm a giant nerd and the data has a strong positive skew.

Blowing out the Panthers, Sabres and Jets doesn't make us a decent offensive team. Scoring 2 or fewer every other game is horrible.

Last edited by BrooklynCapsFan: 03-26-2013 at 12:25 PM.
Old
03-26-2013, 12:22 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashTheNet9 View Post
As a GM, I wouldn't trade the one guy in recent memory who has given me the oft-mentioned yet seldom-used dscount, just for having a bad 30ish games. THAT would be something other guys pay attention to. Reward loyalty, and you will be rewarded with loyalty. In this case, the reward is simply letting the guy play out his contract. $1.8M for one more year isn't going to make or break the salary structure.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:24 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
We have scored 2 goals or less in 16 (half) of our games. I made a box and whisker plot of gf/game because I'm a giant nerd and the data has a strong positive skew.
If I understand correctly, you mean that the average makes the crap look better than it actually is? Not a stat guy.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:26 PM
kicksavedave
yeahright

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynCapsFan View Post
I saw that, nice work.

The question that needs answering is, do we discount the early part of the season for various reasons (excuses?), and are we over valuing the recent surge due to easy schedule?

Bottom line is, either mastering Oates system and getting healthy has made this team good enough to be reasonably competitive in the playoffs, or it hasn't. Its clearly better now than it was before, but before was so awfully under performing that its not much of an accomplishment to be better than we were. The question isn't are we better than before, its are we good enough now to be buyers or sellers or stand pat?

Good luck finding any consensus on that one Need a larger sample size but we only have 4 games left to TDL.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:27 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
If I understand correctly, you mean that the average makes the crap look better than it actually is? Not a stat guy.
Yup. Edited my post to expand a bit. A handful of blowouts skew the mean. The important statistic is that any give night, there's a 50% chance we score two goals or fewer.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:28 PM
MW6

How about Brouwer for Gorges?

Old
03-26-2013, 12:29 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MW6 View Post
How about Brouwer for Gorges?
Montreal wouldn't do it.

I'd much rather go after Giordano.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:32 PM
Ridley Simon

Quote:
Regehr ain't what he was in Calgary. Not an impact defesneman anymore. That shipped sailed, and GMGM missed it.
I think he's got it in him, just needs the proverbial change of scenery. Sad part, is George wont add someone like him. No chance. We will probably see a D-man in the mold of Wideman Jr (whomever that might be).

I'd also take a flyer on Greg Zanon or Cory Sarich. I think Calgary and/or Colorado are ripe for trades. We need to hit them before the TDL, when it will be near impossible to get things done without paying a massive premium.

Feaster and Sherman are idiots anyway, so target those teams.

That said,

Fire George

Old
03-26-2013, 12:35 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Montreal wouldn't do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridley Simon View Post
I think he's got it in him, just needs the proverbial change of scenery. Sad part, is George wont add someone like him. No chance. We will probably see a D-man in the mold of Wideman Jr (whomever that might be).

I'd also take a flyer on Greg Zanon or Cory Sarich. I think Calgary and/or Colorado are ripe for trades. We need to hit them before the TDL, when it will be near impossible to get things done without paying a massive premium.

Feaster and Sherman are idiots anyway, so target those teams.
Giordano would be my pick of the Flames D litter, though his cost at this point has to be pretty steep.

From the Avs, Ryan Wilson (if he's healthy) or Shane O'Brien are the only two I'd want (Erik Johnson obviously wouldn't be available). O'Brien's a 3rd pair/depth guy on the Avs, but I suspect he'd do better in Oates's system just based on his style of play.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:49 PM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

On Chimera, I think it really depends on the actual circumstances at play here. If he has a nagginig injury that can heal over an off-season, keep him. He's a solid warrior, assistant captain, and has contributed in the past. Getting his fair share of bad puck luck this year after having terrific luck last season. A quality player to have in your bottom six, and not the worst injury replacement for a scoring line. Nor is his contract a real back breaker.

That being said, if his decline in speed is a result of age, improperly healed injury, or chronic injury, then ship him out while you still can. Get something for him before he fades into retirement.

Quote:
Montreal wouldn't do it.

Agreed on both counts, though I certainly wouldn't mind picking up Gorges. But with Montreal in contention and having recently locked him up, he's not going anywhere.

Old
03-26-2013, 12:58 PM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Nope. Apparently some people are just blindly positive, and can't think long-term.
Nope apparently MOST people realize that this team might have a chance if they get in and know that there are no guarantees in hockey long term.

Wiz, if they had lost the last 3 we wouldn't be discussing selling or not,.....again, I don't think they should sell the farm,....no way, and I was only referring to Ott, Talbot and Regehr as an example of players, but if this team wins their next 3, I'd love to see McPhee get someone to give this team a chance !

Old
03-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
Nope apparently MOST people realize that this team might have a chance if they get in and know that there are no guarantees in hockey long term.

Wiz, if they had lost the last 3 we wouldn't be discussing selling or not,.....again, I don't think they should sell the farm,....no way, and I was only referring to Ott, Talbot and Regehr as an example of players, but if this team wins their next 3, I'd love to see McPhee get someone to give this team a chance !
I think the bolded is an important consideration that is sometimes lost when taking an extremely dispassionate or "prudent" look at things. Those types of evaluations always tend to assume the best when taking a look forward.

What happens if Backstrom gets another concussion and turns into another Savard? Having an extra second rounder isn't going to amount to a hill of beans. It's not like Ovechkin is getting any younger either. I'm not saying they need to go after this year's Hossa, but a couple of Huet-Fedorov types of moves are not going to kill the team long term.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:32 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post

Right. You're acknowledging that you're basing your entire viewpoint on 3 games. How prudent of a course does that seem to you?

And those 3 players, or any three of similar value would empty the farm, taking the current market into consideration.

You don't empty the farm or hurt your future because anything thing can happen and thus they might have a chance. You sacrifice future assets if it looks like the team has a good chance to win it all.

Old
03-26-2013, 01:34 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Giordano makes just over 4M, so he would effectively prevent a Ribeiro re-signing, barring a compliance buyout. He's also signed for several seasons beyond this one, so he wouldn't be a rental. Caps would be paying quite a bit for him, if he's even available. He'd also have to waive his NMC to come here.

Closed Thread