HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Acq/ Rost. Bldg./ Cap Part XIX

Closed Thread

Old
03-19-2013, 11:52 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
No, I'm suggesting that a GOOD GM, COULD make the necessary moves and not be hamstrung like you're suggesting.

I think a front line starter WOULD improve this team quite a bit.
Sure, a front line starter would improve this team quite a bit.

What does that have to do with Miller?

Old
03-19-2013, 11:57 AM
sunnydaycrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland17 View Post
Since Perry and Getzlaf both resigned with ANA, what tandem would you rather have for next 8 years?

Backstrom at 25 yo and Ovechkin at 27 yo - Cap Hit - 16.25

or

Getzlaf at 27 yo and Perry at 27 yo - Cap Hit - 16.8
That's a pretty good question......hard to say, probably Ovi and Nicky but that's definitely a homer decision.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:01 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydaycrash View Post
That's a pretty good question......hard to say, probably Ovi and Nicky but that's definitely a homer decision.
It depends whether 8 and 19 return to any semblance of their old form. Even if they're a step below, and Nick is, say, a 25-60 player, and Ovy a 45-40 player, it's them, easily.

Last edited by NobodyBeatsTheWiz: 03-19-2013 at 12:13 PM.
Old
03-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Zoidberg Jesus
Trotzkyist

Quote:
No, I'm suggesting that a GOOD GM, COULD make the necessary moves and not be hamstrung like you're suggesting.

I think a front line starter WOULD improve this team quite a bit.
But... you just can't. How can you take this Caps roster, remove Ribeiro, add Miller, and then use the remaining 3M in cap room to turn them into a contender? I mean, I guess we could dump Schultz, Ward, and Laich then totally sell the farm fill the holes, but that doesn't sound like a great plan to me.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:43 PM
Liberati0n*

If they're going to trade for a goalie, I would much rather Luongo. As brs said, the difference between an average goalie and an above average one is negligible over the course of a season. In this particular situation, the concern with a guy like Holtby is that he can't be reliably average. His inconsistent play can hurt the team because those extra goals aren't evenly distributed and games are thrown away. To me, that's really the benefit of having someone like Luongo. He's better, but he's also a stabilizing presence who consistently keeps his team in games. In general, though, I really don't like the approach of building from the goalie out.

Old
03-19-2013, 12:45 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
But... you just can't. How can you take this Caps roster, remove Ribeiro, add Miller, and then use the remaining 3M in cap room to turn them into a contender? I mean, I guess we could dump Schultz, Ward, and Laich then totally sell the farm fill the holes, but that doesn't sound like a great plan to me.
A GM with a clear vision and plan could. Look at the wheeling and dealing the Kings did to shape that roster into a Cup winner in a very short time.

No reason (assuming we hire a competent team architect) the Caps couldn't do the same.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:03 PM
Langway
\_(ツ)_/

vCash: 50
The cap going down $6M next season makes it a season unlike any other. Outside of compliance buyouts I doubt dumping contracts will be very easy. Trading Green seems to be the most significant way to change the mix in the short-term.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:05 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
The cap going down $6M next season makes it a season unlike any other. Outside of compliance buyouts I doubt dumping contracts will be very easy. Trading Green seems to be the most significant way to change the mix in the short-term.
I'm pretty sure he would have to pass a physical for the trade to go through.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:07 PM
txpd

funny...dean lombardi before that spate of trading and the following playoff run was being fried regularly for the long lenth of the failing rebuild. he was more on the hot seat than mcphee is and when making those trades there were many saying they were desperation last gasp moves to try and avoid getting fired.

nobody thought lombardi had a clear vision and a competent team architect. meanwhile many here love to use holmgren as another wheeler dealer with the balls to make the necessary big moves. where are they in the standings? 2pts ahead of the caps giving washington a game in hand or something?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:10 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
funny...dean lombardi before that spate of trading and the following playoff run was being fried regularly for the long lenth of the failing rebuild. he was more on the hot seat than mcphee is and when making those trades there were many saying they were desperation last gasp moves to try and avoid getting fired.

nobody thought lombardi had a clear vision and a competent team architect. meanwhile many here love to use holmgren as another wheeler dealer with the balls to make the necessary big moves. where are they in the standings? 2pts ahead of the caps giving washington a game in hand or something?
Yeah, I've talked about the Lombardi thing a lot and everyone ignores it. I don't think it vindicates McPhee as much as it just suggests most GMs don't really know what they're doing, though. Those moves absolutely were desperate attempts to save his job.

Edit: I mean the Carter one was. And hiring Sutter was just turning to a coach he knew.

Old
03-19-2013, 01:18 PM
Soups On

Vancouver fan coming in peace! Sucks seeing the Caps where they are right now, hopefully everything works out for you guys.

I'm here wondering what the price is on a player like Johansson. I know he had that brutal start and injury but he has picked it up as of late. What would it take to get someone like Johansson on the Nucks?

Old
03-19-2013, 01:20 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thOverdrive View Post
Vancouver fan coming in peace! Sucks seeing the Caps where they are right now, hopefully everything works out for you guys.

I'm here wondering what the price is on a player like Johansson. I know he had that brutal start and injury but he has picked it up as of late. What would it take to get someone like Johansson on the Nucks?
Luongo + 1st

Old
03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
Soups On

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberati0n View Post
Luongo + 1st
You're kidding

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
Closet Las Vegas fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post

Two words....CUP CHAMPS.

Nothing else matters.

Old
Halpysback*

Quote:
A GM with a clear vision and plan could. Look at the wheeling and dealing the Kings did to shape that roster into a Cup winner in a very short time.

No reason (assuming we hire a competent team architect) the Caps couldn't do the same.
Except Lombardi, Chiarelli, Tallon, etc were idiots until oh snap they weren't.

Captain Hindsight strikes again.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:00 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
If they're going to trade for a goalie, I would much rather Luongo. As brs said, the difference between an average goalie and an above average one is negligible over the course of a season. In this particular situation, the concern with a guy like Holtby is that he can't be reliably average. His inconsistent play can hurt the team because those extra goals aren't evenly distributed and games are thrown away. To me, that's really the benefit of having someone like Luongo. He's better, but he's also a stabilizing presence who consistently keeps his team in games. In general, though, I really don't like the approach of building from the goalie out.
Incorrect. In terms of stabilizing presence, you want a goalie with better rebound control which Miller is much better than Luongo at. Bad rebound control gets the defense scrambling and out of position, increasing SA to the point where even with a better sv% a goalie would still give up more goals simply because his bad rebound control caused him to face more shots. You don't see the statsturbators using shooting% alone to compare forwards across the board, because that alone doesn't tell the whole story. Anyone who thinks they can tell what an average goalie is based on sv% is quite simply does not understand hockey. This is all without factoring in the quality of defense in front of the goalie, which in Buffalo is hilariously bad to the point where Jeff Schultz might actually be an improvement.

P.S. Luongo actually has a worst sv% than Miller right now.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Liberati0n*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Tolliver View Post
Incorrect. In terms of stabilizing presence, you want a goalie with better rebound control which Miller is much better than Luongo at. Bad rebound control gets the defense scrambling and out of position, increasing SA to the point where even with a better sv% a goalie would still give up more goals simply because his bad rebound control caused him to face more shots. You don't see the statsturbators using shooting% alone to compare forwards across the board, because that alone doesn't tell the whole story. Anyone who thinks they can tell what an average goalie is based on sv% is quite simply does not understand hockey. This is all without factoring in the quality of defense in front of the goalie, which in Buffalo is hilariously bad to the point where Jeff Schultz might actually be an improvement.

P.S. Luongo actually has a worst sv% than Miller right now.
Fair enough. I have no rebuttal.

I wasn't saying I want to trade for Luongo though. I'm against both. I think building a good defense is much more important than having an above average goalie (not that I trust GMGM to do so). The result of Miller + Buffalo's defense is a good example.

Edit: Also I didn't mean to imply that Miller wasn't a stabilizing presence. I was grouping him and Luongo together and then picking Luongo.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
It depends whether 8 and 19 return to any semblance of their old form. Even if they're a step below, and Nick is, say, a 25-60 player, and Ovy a 45-40 player, it's them, easily.
And if it is the current versions...?

Old
03-19-2013, 03:28 PM
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millhaus View Post
And if it is the current versions...?
I think everyone on the boards would agree if current versions you take the other 2 sadly

Old
03-19-2013, 03:32 PM
Brad Tolliver
Terror Goes Into

Quote:
Fair enough. I have no rebuttal.

I wasn't saying I want to trade for Luongo though. I'm against both. I think building a good defense is much more important than having an above average goalie (not that I trust GMGM to do so). The result of Miller + Buffalo's defense is a good example.

Edit: Also I didn't mean to imply that Miller wasn't a stabilizing presence. I was grouping him and Luongo together and then picking Luongo.
I think most everyone is in agreement that Miller at his current salary doesn't not fit on this team, which is a valid reason because the team as currently structured does not allow for room for a highly paid goalie no matter the level of play. However, to simply dismiss Miller as "average" based on sv% alone is hilariously stupid.

Buffalo's problem is that their owner is like NBTW but with money. He threw money at players with nice stats but is completely clueless outside of the stats. What they really needed was depth to make up for all the talent they lost over the years due to previous ownership's cheapness but instead they went with top heavy spending.

Old
03-19-2013, 03:36 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langway View Post
WOOT WOOT

Old
03-19-2013, 03:38 PM
Millhaus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thOverdrive View Post
You're kidding
What no counter offer...?

Old
03-19-2013, 05:49 PM
Mr Gone
Green = Man of Glass

For what is worth I would trade Nick for Getzlaf today if I could. I am not even sure Getzlaf is the better player. I just know he is a better leader. Dropping the gloves will never score goals. But it will go a long way in build team unity and trust. You can not put a true value on player that stand up for there teammates. Its contiguous and makes other players step up. Our players hardly stand up for themselves never mind each other.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:28 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gone View Post
For what is worth I would trade Nick for Getzlaf today if I could. I am not even sure Getzlaf is the better player. I just know he is a better leader. Dropping the gloves will never score goals. But it will go a long way in build team unity and trust. You can not put a true value on player that stand up for there teammates. Its contiguous and makes other players step up. Our players hardly stand up for themselves never mind each other.

Good post. George tends to acquire guys who are passive. Maybe George wants guys he can boss around. That makes for pleasant practices but doesn't seem to deliver Cups.

Old
03-19-2013, 06:40 PM
RandyHolt
Ahhhh Smiddy

vCash: 50
Yes Sir
Sign Here
Yes Sir

Closed Thread