did not follow NHL 11 10.00%
followed NHL but did not cheer for any team 13 11.82%
Voters: 110. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-13-2013, 04:09 PM
Back in the Bigs
and lovin' it !!

vCash: 500
didn't have a favorite team after the Jets left, followed highlights regularly and sports reports, etc but really didnt watch much regular season hockey, found it very boring not having a favourite team, but watched almost every minute of the playoffs... love the Stanley Cup playoffs !!... of course now, I don't think I've missed any Jets games either live or on TV since they came back

weird part, is during that whole time I never cheered for any of the Canadian teams...don't like any of them to this day...

Back in the Bigs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:12 PM
broinwhyteridge

Otterwah Senateures

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:14 PM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back in the Bigs View Post
weird part, is during that whole time I never cheered for any of the Canadian teams...don't like any of them to this day...
I'm sort of the same way other than the Jets and Canucks.

I like the Lightning, Blues, Islanders and the Sharks.

03-13-2013, 04:19 PM
Rook37

vCash: 583
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samcanadian View Post
When the Jets left I threw myself into the Manitoba Moose, and when they struck up their affiliation with the Canucks I naturally followed the progression of young guys like Kesler, Bieksa, Burrows, Edler, Hansen, etc from the AHL to the NHL.
Pretty much the same thing. I saw too many Moose graduate into the Canucks to not cheer for them. On a related note, does anyone know why I can't vote in the poll?

Rook37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:08 PM
Wolf357

I had a Moose Mini pack so I followed the Canucks Via the Moose so became a bit of a Canucks fan... but not a die hard.
Hated...Hated...Despised the Coyotes..I was bitter, and to be honest I took it personal.
I'm not sure how other fans from teams that left feel (Qubec for Colorado, Hartford for Carolina..), but it seems that Winnipeg Jets fans 1.0 just loathed the Coyotes.

Wolf357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:32 PM
koth

I followed Phoenix until the Jets returned. My enthusiasm wasn't a fraction of what it was when the Jets were here, but I still followed them and cheered for them.

koth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:05 PM
DarthMonty
Makin' saves

Meh, I was working for the Jets when they left, so I just moved down to the Moose, and sort of followed the IHL/AHL, but I never really got behind any team, except for cheering on Canadian teams in the play-offs.

I never had the hate for the Coyotes that many other Winnipeggers suffered from - it wasn't the team's fault that they were yanked out of Winnipeg and dropped into the desert. We've been to a few games in Glendale, and it's cool to see all of the Jet apparel that shows up.

I haven't yet developed the fanaticism for Jets 2.0 that I had for the first edition, but it will come, probably with the first play-off game.

DarthMonty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:19 PM
JustGivingEr
How far we done fell

vCash: 1125
I grew up a die hard Wings fan.

JustGivingEr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:21 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Montreal but it was not quite the same. I'm way more invested in the Jets than I was the Habs.

I never really gave the Coyotes much thought as I was pretty young at the time the Jets left and didn't really understand the situation. I began to loathe the Coyotes about the time I discovered this site and the BOH section . I believe it was right around the time they were put into bankruptcy though I didn't actually join HF till much later. I don't really have much in the way of feelings (and my previous feelings were pretty irrational looking back) about the Coyotes now that we have a team but I do stop by the BOH to read the Coyotes thread.

Last edited by veganhunter: 03-13-2013 at 08:47 PM.
veganhunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:26 PM
Waldo

I followed Jets 1.0 to Phoenix. I thought it would be cool if they moved back to the Peg but I'm much more happy getting the Thrashers. The core is young and talented and will be a contender much sooner than the Coyotes.

We should buy the Coyotes and merge the 2 teams into a SuperTeam. Thompson has the 200 mil to throw around. Or maybe we should start a fund raiser?

Waldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
BennyTheJet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
NHL was dead to me when the Jets left
Same. I watched playoff hockey, but I never REALLY got into until last year.

BennyTheJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:41 PM
cbcwpg

Any Canadian team.

cbcwpg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:47 PM
KingBogo
Admitted Homer

vCash: 1031
I cheered for whatever players I had in various pools and fantasy leagues. I would rather a team lost 8-7 and my guys got points then have them win. My playoff preference depended which team I was riding on. Would cheer for Detroit one year and despise them the next. Life as a hockey nomad. I much prefer having the Jets back.

KingBogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:53 PM
Tom ServoMST3K
Red 5 standing by...

vCash: 949
When I was a kid, NYR, and then the flames, and like a year b4 they came back followed the Glendale scene a lot

Tom ServoMST3K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:49 PM
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan

I was an Islanders fan before the original Jets were ever in the NHL. Cheered for both when Winnipeg arrived. Back to just the Isles after the move to Phoenix. And now I have 2 teams to cheer for again! Happy days.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:52 PM
Turbofan
Just shoot it Toby!!

Senators, because they were the new kids on the block, Canadian team and just so awful. Underdog syndrome. I just wanted them to do better and I cheered for them.

From 2001 and onward, the Canuck, because the Moose were their affiliate.

In 2011 that team died for me, and it was before the Jets announcement.

I was so angry about the Vancouver riot, so shamed as a Canadian, that I threw my Canucks jersey in the trash and hoped the team would never make the Cup finals again. Not because I hated the team. It was my strange reaction to the whole situation. I was ashamed to be connected to that event in any way, to be called a Canucks fan. I was always proud to be Canadian and to see us on the world stage that way...that pride had been tarnished that night.

Yeah, irrational but what can you do. Then a few months later we got the Jets back and there was joy in Joyland again.

Turbofan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Hank Chinaski

Minnesota Wild, beginning with their playoff run in 2003.

Before that it was Bruins and Coyotes, though really only casual interest in both those teams.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:56 PM
Snot Rocket
HF anti-tank squad

vCash: 155
Tried to watch the 'yotes, but gave up after a few games.
Stopped watching NHL all together but dreamed of a Jets return.

I was really hoping we would get the team back from Phoenix, but we got the Thrashers.

Only thing I want now is our damn history back from the ****ing yotes.

Did catch a couple playoff games when they were on, but did not give a ratís ass who won. I cannot cheer for something that I have no vested interest or pride in.

Snot Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:09 PM
mondena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jungles View Post
Ducks (more specifically, Selanne).
Same here, loved their cup run

mondena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:29 PM
lablite47

Tried to keep my interest in the league but just could not bring myself to cheer for anyone even though I was a Habs fan until the Jets came around in 72. Didn't even participate in any hockey drafts....Until 2012 when Jets 2.0 revived!

lablite47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:32 PM
Fuelled by Passion

Used to live in Montreal for 6 years and worked for Habs organization so I guess I had to cheer for them. But Martin "killed" all my interest in the team. So I guess it wasn't real cheering experience. Since then I was casually following the regular season and jumping on fan wagon's during PO-runs. Atlanta was the team I had no knowledge about at all. Ironically that is the team we got lol

Fuelled by Passion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Potrzebie

I followed Jets 1.0 with a near fanatical fervor until (nearly) the end. The NHL basically became dead to me until the return. I followed the Moose casually, going to the odd game here and there with my dad... checking the NHL standings once a year, usually in late March or early April to make sure the Coyotes were near the bottom of the standings (usually), then back on ignore.

Whenever the odd rumor would pop up about some NHL team or other being for sale or soon to be relocated I would scour the web for news... once the rumor mill began grinding at breakneck speed regarding the Thrashers, then the Coyotes, (then the Thrashers, Coyotes then Thrashers again ) in spring of 2010 I spent many many hours online reading every scrap of news or rumors I could until the return. I find I am now as fully vested in this team as I was way back when.

It's completely different being a Jets fan in 2013. All the games on TV in glorious HD, smartphone apps, streaming video, instant hilites. Way different than channel surfing for scores or waiting till morning and reading the paper. I feel like I'm really dating myself, lol. The best thing is the HF Jets forum. I don't post here a lot but I do read it every day and almost always come away learning something.

Usually from Garret's stats.

Last edited by Potrzebie: 03-14-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Potrzebie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:11 AM
Inflict
Viking

After the Jets left, I didn't really follow hockey that much. I just followed Wayne Gretzky pretty much. My passion was reignited in the 2002 Olympics and Jose Theordore's playoff run in Montreal. Then I became a bandwagon jumper and went from Montreal to Toronto to Calgary to Edmonton to Ottawa and then finally Vancouver after focusing more on the Manitoba Moose.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:18 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

<--------

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:24 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

When I worked overseas I started cheering for the Leafs in large part due to HNIC.
NASN (UK channel) showed live HNIC broadcasts on the channel and, of course, the Leafs were usually the team shown.
One thing that was interesting about the network is that they ran polls with their subscribers asking which teams they would like to see the most and tailor the schedule towards viewer preferences when possible.
Saw a lot of Leafs and Rangers.

That channel was a godsend to me while living in Morocco. Not much hockey talk there lol.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote