HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm Part 2. MLG TIME!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-24-2014, 09:10 AM
  #301
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
They should fix ZvP instead of buffing worst unit in the game. All that will do is make hydra timings OP as hell, and make protoss all in more.
How do you "fix" the match-up, exactly? If a unit is being underutilized and underperforms, why not buff it?

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 11:24 AM
  #302
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
How do you "fix" the match-up, exactly? If a unit is being underutilized and underperforms, why not buff it?
Its not underused unit at all. After they nerfed infestor, hydra became the only core unit that isnt imbalisk, but that wasnt good since the unit is really really bad. So instead of trying to make hydra work, try to give a better option to the zerg instead of buffing gimmicky hydra timings.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 12:12 PM
  #303
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
HotS really feels like a write off to me. Every time there are suggested balance updates or actual balance updates coming from blizz I get the sense that they're completely disconnected from the game/scene/community.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2014, 09:48 PM
  #304
Heaton
Moderator
#disapointment
 
Heaton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Rochester, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 16,929
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Haha what is going on with the MMR? I've been Diamond forever, then last season I was platinum, then this season I was gold. Now, I just played two games tonight and beat two Diamonds and got promoted back to Diamond after the two games.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 08:34 AM
  #305
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Haha what is going on with the MMR? I've been Diamond forever, then last season I was platinum, then this season I was gold. Now, I just played two games tonight and beat two Diamonds and got promoted back to Diamond after the two games.
MMR system is not quite working as intended. I was high platinum last season with winning record and it placed me in silver. Not going to ladder anymore unless they implement demotion / promotion back, not interested to waste 50-60 games in below plat every season.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2014, 08:01 PM
  #306
RandV
It's a wolf v2.0
 
RandV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,330
vCash: 50
This one's probably the best, I'm loving these bronze league hero's!


RandV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-03-2014, 02:49 PM
  #307
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
New balance changes (happen within a week), new test map for future changes, ladder map altered for balance.

Balance changes
- Time Warp cost increased from 75 to 100

- Ghosts start with the energy upgrade built in

- Make the natural expansion ramp smaller on Daedalus Point.



New test map
- We’d like to try out a sight range nerf to the Mothership Core,

- We’d still like to include a Hydralisk buff (but not as big as the current one we’re testing)

- We’d still like to keep testing the Tempest change and not touch Swarm Hosts themselves if we can

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-04-2014, 10:10 AM
  #308
hudson bay rules
Registered User
 
hudson bay rules's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 286
vCash: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandV View Post
This one's probably the best, I'm loving these bronze league hero's!


lol

hudson bay rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-10-2014, 02:10 PM
  #309
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
New balance test map:

Mothership Core vision radius decreased from 14 to 9

Blink cooldown increased from 10 to 15

Widow Mine splash damage component deals 40 + 40 shield damage

Tempest ground weapon damage increased from 30 to 30+30-to-structures

Hydralisk delay between attacks decreased from .83 to .75


http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/11674147788#1

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-11-2014, 11:21 PM
  #310
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
Aside of the Tempest buff for dealing with a particular scenario (swarm host + spine/spore forest), that really blows for Protoss. I get trying to nerf the blink all-ins, but a 50% delay in cooldown is pretty huge. I would think the mothership debuff alone would make it easier to stop against a vigilant player.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-25-2014, 01:46 PM
  #311
Dave
 
Dave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,496
vCash: 500
Balance Patch coming this friday, feb 28:

widow mine:
Widow mine target damage is unchanged, however widow mine splash damage has changed to
• Up to 1.25 radius, splash damage will increase from 40 to 40 +40 vs. shields.
• From 1.25 to 1.5 radius, splash damage will increase from 20 to 20 +20 vs. shields.
• From 1.5 to 1.75 radius, splash damage will increase from 10 to 10 +10 vs. shields.



Hydra:
hydralisk attack delay decreased from .83 to .75

MSC:
Mothership Core vision decreased from 14 to 9





http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/11884068394


Last edited by Dave: 02-25-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2014, 09:08 PM
  #312
Augscura
Registered User
 
Augscura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,687
vCash: 500
Did the MSC nerf even do anything? I still see protoss doing blink msc all in all the time.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 01:26 PM
  #313
Juzmo
rip
 
Juzmo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Country: Finland
Posts: 37,171
vCash: 6969
Personally started SC2 again a week or so ago after like a 6 month break. Took a couple of days to find the simple*, yet effective** cheeses, but now having fun with the mind-games with these gold-leaguers.

*with 40apm
** win% around 70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
Did the MSC nerf even do anything? I still see protoss doing blink msc all in all the time.
Nerfing the blink all-in? Why on earth? Do you really not want every finals to be pvp? Crazy talk.

And in other news naniwa says "goodbye" to competitive sc2 for now in the proper naniwa way. rofl

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-22-2014, 05:39 PM
  #314
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Haha, same with me. I am offracing protoss vs silver/golds while having 30 apm and destroying everyone, its incredibly satisfying when people BM about playing noob race and all. Its not my problem if blizz matchmaking thinks 1 season of relative inactivity should mean my high plat/low diamond MMR skills deteriorated to low silver.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2014, 03:06 AM
  #315
Augscura
Registered User
 
Augscura's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,687
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
Personally started SC2 again a week or so ago after like a 6 month break. Took a couple of days to find the simple*, yet effective** cheeses, but now having fun with the mind-games with these gold-leaguers.

*with 40apm
** win% around 70


Nerfing the blink all-in? Why on earth? Do you really not want every finals to be pvp? Crazy talk.

And in other news naniwa says "goodbye" to competitive sc2 for now in the proper naniwa way. rofl
I've played last week for the first time in over a year, tanked all my placements and just wanted to start in bronze and go from there and wow this game is brutal, it has taken such a step back from WoL, almost all the new units for all races are either imbalanced or completely boring. Swarmhosts are ****ing disgusting and have no business being in the game, completely one dimensional and boring from a player and spectator stand point.

Overall this game is a complete mess. After playing Dota 2 for a year and seeing how Valve does balance changes and address most major issues with the game almost immediately once they are reported. Yet blizzard has managed to drive the player base away even further by diluting the balance even more and refusing to make major changes and redesigning units that aren't fun or imbalanced. Their reasoning for not doing so is also unacceptable. To quote David Kim in his ****** AMA "One of our core philosophies on SC2 design is if the change isn't completely amazing, we prefer not to do it." So i guess they are content with having a stale game? Most of the community seems fed up with playing the same game for the past 2 years. He also mentioned this "We prefer not to make big changes due to careers being on the line in a game like Starcraft 2" Isn't it a job requirement for a pro gamer to adapt to his line of work like any other job? Take an office job for example, if policies change you are expected to learn the new changes and adapt accordingly otherwise you get fired/demoted etc. Same should apply to pro gaming/SC2.

It makes me sad to see how Blizzard has completely **** the bed with starcraft 2, a game that has so much potential and it's a shame because I love RTS games but there really isn't much else out there that has a large player base aside from SC2 but I just can't bring myself to get back into it in its current form.

Augscura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2014, 07:35 AM
  #316
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augscura View Post
I've played last week for the first time in over a year, tanked all my placements and just wanted to start in bronze and go from there and wow this game is brutal, it has taken such a step back from WoL, almost all the new units for all races are either imbalanced or completely boring. Swarmhosts are ****ing disgusting and have no business being in the game, completely one dimensional and boring from a player and spectator stand point.

Overall this game is a complete mess. After playing Dota 2 for a year and seeing how Valve does balance changes and address most major issues with the game almost immediately once they are reported. Yet blizzard has managed to drive the player base away even further by diluting the balance even more and refusing to make major changes and redesigning units that aren't fun or imbalanced. Their reasoning for not doing so is also unacceptable. To quote David Kim in his ****** AMA "One of our core philosophies on SC2 design is if the change isn't completely amazing, we prefer not to do it." So i guess they are content with having a stale game? Most of the community seems fed up with playing the same game for the past 2 years. He also mentioned this "We prefer not to make big changes due to careers being on the line in a game like Starcraft 2" Isn't it a job requirement for a pro gamer to adapt to his line of work like any other job? Take an office job for example, if policies change you are expected to learn the new changes and adapt accordingly otherwise you get fired/demoted etc. Same should apply to pro gaming/SC2.

It makes me sad to see how Blizzard has completely **** the bed with starcraft 2, a game that has so much potential and it's a shame because I love RTS games but there really isn't much else out there that has a large player base aside from SC2 but I just can't bring myself to get back into it in its current form.
Yeah i agree but most of those have no impact on regular players of the game. For regular players terrans are quite ****ed, but Protoss is probably most balanced gameplay wise it has ever been and is most fun to play than it has ever been. Zergs has remained pretty much the same except different way of playing than we used to. Aside from large boring maps which they have atleast trying to remove due to cynicalbrits adventures the game is pretty fun. But i think that might depend on your league, higher level players might find the game stale and not exciting.

But if you are bored and want good online multiplayer RTS, Company of heroes 2 is actually the most fun i have had. It just doesnt have as large playerbase and no leagues which sucks.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 10:58 PM
  #317
leova
Registered User
 
leova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
the problem with sc2 has always been its speed. BW had a slower default game speed, which allowed(i feel) a lot more tactics than something super-fast and click-heavy

it just becomes a chore to constantly mash keys to achieve "good macro", thus the game isn't fun

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2014, 11:08 PM
  #318
Mystlyfe
We're Touched
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 12,425
vCash: 500
You definitely needed to mash a lot more keys to win in SC:BW. Only being able to control 12 units, even in control groups, forced a more demand on APM to have any sort of effective army control.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 07:26 AM
  #319
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
the problem with sc2 has always been its speed. BW had a slower default game speed, which allowed(i feel) a lot more tactics than something super-fast and click-heavy

it just becomes a chore to constantly mash keys to achieve "good macro", thus the game isn't fun
I dont know if you even played BW, it was a lot harder and more click spammy and faster. Well, maybe not faster.


Last edited by LSnow: 04-09-2014 at 07:32 AM.
LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 08:31 AM
  #320
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,099
vCash: 500
I find multi player sc2 is better. I can control more units and my key mashing isn't as much. I like to strategize so it's nice to not rely just on the mash. I play as Terran mostly so I've developed a rather defensive "trap" game. And I need a good strategy to wear down the other guy I'm playing against. I was never a fan of mass n mash

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 08:45 AM
  #321
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Mech is excellent for that. I myself always played zerg in vanilla sc2 so i never have a strategy, just try to counter what what my enemy is doing. Its just lot harder as protoss/terran.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 11:10 AM
  #322
leova
Registered User
 
leova's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,253
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
You definitely needed to mash a lot more keys to win in SC:BW. Only being able to control 12 units, even in control groups, forced a more demand on APM to have any sort of effective army control.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
I dont know if you even played BW, it was a lot harder and more click spammy and faster. Well, maybe not faster.
I played some BW, half casually and half laddering, but never truly competitively. I honestly had no issue with 12-unit control, I loved having 3-5 squads of units.
the game was slower, and just FELT better all around. You could actually blink without losing the game

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2014, 01:02 PM
  #323
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
I played some BW, half casually and half laddering, but never truly competitively. I honestly had no issue with 12-unit control, I loved having 3-5 squads of units.
the game was slower, and just FELT better all around. You could actually blink without losing the game
Yes i think it was better game. Battles lasted longer and deathballs werent prevalent and overall had way more fun stuff. But it wasnt less click spammy.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 08:40 AM
  #324
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels
 
Silence Of The Plams's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 17,099
vCash: 500
Was playing yesterday and was roach rushed by my opponent. My counter was siege tanks and a few bunkers with 2 SCVs on each to repair. Worked well. I don't attack till late, of course besides taking up expansions. I have a problem with Protoss early on. I end up using mostly goliaths to take down their air if I'm not using other things. I play better with land units. Also, if you can, if someone roach rushes you, try to get marauders out too. Those are awesome.

Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2014, 12:43 PM
  #325
LSnow
Registered User
 
LSnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 2,997
vCash: 500
I guess your playing starbow?

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.