HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm Part 2. MLG TIME!

Old
04-01-2013, 02:20 PM
kingsholygrail
Interference = Cup

vCash: 500
Need more Warhounds.

kingsholygrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:07 AM
The Korean*

Send a message via AIM to The Korean* Send a message via Yahoo to The Korean*
The storyline of HOS is incredibly dumb. Awesome gameplay, but someone who likes to play campaign mode, ugh.

The Korean* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:22 PM
steafo

Send a message via AIM to steafo
Game is getting frustrating to me.

I am 0-3 in my placement games

I feel like I'm decent enough at macro at least for the lower tiers. I'm hitting around 140 apm with low supply cap etc. (After tons of games against the computer)

From my own criticism I suck at being aggressive early, I often wait far too long to launch any kind of attack/harrass mainly because I'm focused on creating enough workers (mostly play zerg fwiw)...I usually have a 2 base and ~40-50 workers around the 8 minutes mark. I don't really miss any injects unless I'm trying to micro.

I know it all comes with playing the game and learning some stuff, I just need to get over the hump. I can smash the computer on very hard but I can't seem to beat anyone online (all 3 of my games), unless I'm getting matched up with some tougher opponents.

Last edited by steafo: 04-03-2013 at 12:24 PM. Reason: .
steafo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:46 PM
LSnow

Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post

I feel like I'm decent enough at macro at least for the lower tiers. I'm hitting around 140 apm with low supply cap etc. (After tons of games against the computer)

From my own criticism I suck at being aggressive early, I often wait far too long to launch any kind of attack/harrass mainly because I'm focused on creating enough workers (mostly play zerg fwiw)...I usually have a 2 base and ~40-50 workers around the 8 minutes mark. I don't really miss any injects unless I'm trying to micro.

I know it all comes with playing the game and learning some stuff, I just need to get over the hump. I can smash the computer on very hard but I can't seem to beat anyone online (all 3 of my games), unless I'm getting matched up with some tougher opponents.
The APM is broken, it shows my career? avg APM is ~180 and i play slowly. It's probably is less than 50-65 real APM.

And you probably just had bad luck on getting those placement matches opponents, mine were guys who probably just bought the game

I don't know which league youll be placed but basic roach push pretty much auto-wins you to gold league.

But i have only played hots around 20~ games but i have great success with Psy's zerg + overlord speed build and then just countering what ever the opponent is doing.

LSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 01:22 PM
steafo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSnow View Post
The APM is broken, it shows my career? avg APM is ~180 and i play slowly. It's probably is less than 50-65 real APM.

And you probably just had bad luck on getting those placement matches opponents, mine were guys who probably just bought the game

I don't know which league youll be placed but basic roach push pretty much auto-wins you to gold league.

But i have only played hots around 20~ games but i have great success with Psy's zerg + overlord speed build and then just countering what ever the opponent is doing.
I tried a roach/zerg push but he was protoss and he was already walled off with a bunch of cannons and as I was attacking he swung around and killed most of my drones with a void ray? I'm a bit unfamiliar with some of the units still. The game lasted like 25 minutes so it's not like I completely got my ass handed to me. But at no point in that game did I feel like I had control.

I just need to clean some stuff up and get faster I would assume. I've improved a lot but I'm obviously really green with only 3 online games. I just get discouraged because people are claiming they are beating the crap out of people online with easy opponents, and I feel like I'm not that bad that the "easy" guys are beating my ass

I also need to take under consideration that some of the people saying this could be grizzled vets while I'm a newb to the whole starcraft universe.

Old
04-03-2013, 01:36 PM
LSnow

Quote:
I tried a roach/zerg push but he was protoss and he was already walled off with a bunch of cannons and as I was attacking he swung around and killed most of my drones with a void ray? I'm a bit unfamiliar with some of the units still. The game lasted like 25 minutes so it's not like I completely got my ass handed to me. But at no point in that game did I feel like I had control.

I just need to clean some stuff up and get faster I would assume. I've improved a lot but I'm obviously really green with only 3 online games. I just get discouraged because people are claiming they are beating the crap out of people online with easy opponents, and I feel like I'm not that bad that the "easy" guys are beating my ass

I also need to take under consideration that some of the people saying this could be grizzled vets while I'm a newb to the whole starcraft universe.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux_nslpWqaE this is bit outdated but probably best one for new player
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuUalKWgB7Y

These are pretty good tutorials While they might not help that much in the long run, they give idea to start with

That starting strategy 15hatch/15 pool is pretty much what you always use ( unless probe trys to block ) minor variations obviously on preference

Old
04-03-2013, 01:54 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:

By that point you should either have a 3rd base building, or at least a 3rd Hatchery (aka Macro Hatch) in your main. Droning up is great but you need the infrastructure to do so without dying to any sort of aggression. 2 bases with only 2 Hatcheries, and a ton of drones means that your economy will be good for a brief moment but you're going to struggle to make enough to defend a lot of early attacks. That third base allows you to immediately pump an extra amount of whatever army unit you need to make.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 05:11 PM
steafo

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
By that point you should either have a 3rd base building, or at least a 3rd Hatchery (aka Macro Hatch) in your main. Droning up is great but you need the infrastructure to do so without dying to any sort of aggression. 2 bases with only 2 Hatcheries, and a ton of drones means that your economy will be good for a brief moment but you're going to struggle to make enough to defend a lot of early attacks. That third base allows you to immediately pump an extra amount of whatever army unit you need to make.
I think a 3rd base might be a bit much for me to manage at this point. A 3rd would probably be difficult for me to defend if it came to that, but I guess most of this game is about getting on the offensive first it seems. I've thought about a "macro hatch" before but haven't tried it. I'll give it a whirl..thanks for the tip any and all are appreciated.

Old
04-04-2013, 04:55 AM
Juzmo
rip

vCash: 6969
From broodlord vs broodlord to muta vs muta.

Damn ZvZ.

Still excited for the new GSL season.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2013, 09:02 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I finally bought HotS a few days ago... Only played a few games so far. 2-1 in placements, winning two as Zerg (ZvP, ZvZ) and losing one TvT. Not sure what race I want to play. I might just random but I am pretty bad at Protoss.

Also, does anyone else play Fantasy Proleague on TeamLiquid?

Old
04-12-2013, 11:48 AM
Dave

Test your macro with a day9 terran max challenge. Three fastest terran max times get win some small prizes from day9. Current 3 fastest times are 10:47, 10:49, and 10:57.

http://day9.tv/d/SteppeLively/fastest-max-terran/

I'm guessing it's gonna be accomplished by like 3-4 reactor-factory helion production.

Last edited by Dave: 04-12-2013 at 11:53 AM.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:29 PM
Firestorm

I don't agree that we need more 'region locked' tournaments. Foreigners seriously need to step up their game.

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2013, 08:34 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

I think if it's a tournament called EU or NA or KR, you should have to play your games from there. I don't care if every player in the NA tournament is Korean so long as they're living in NA at the time. I don't have any sympathy for foreigner players but it's a matter of common sense.

Old
04-12-2013, 11:57 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Flash vs. Reality (KT Rolster vs. Samsung Khan) in Proleague right now... After a big battle, Flash crushes Reality's main army but Reality kills ~20 workers with a small bio force. Fantasy is up ~20 supply. Flash disconnects. WE WANT LAN

Old
04-13-2013, 12:00 AM
leova

Quote:
Flash vs. Reality (KT Rolster vs. Samsung Khan) in Proleague right now... After a big battle, Flash crushes Reality's main army but Reality kills ~20 workers with a small bio force. Fantasy is up ~20 supply. Flash disconnects. WE WANT LAN
new feature Resume from Replay says hi!

seriously, that's why they made it

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 04:59 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Finally made it to masters 1v1 - big thanks to widow mines and hellbats.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
new feature Resume from Replay says hi!

seriously, that's why they made it
It would still make sense for Blizzard to at least support major live tournaments by providing a LAN mode specifically for the Proleague/GSL/MLGs of the scene.

Anyways, I suck at HotS (placed Silver, promoted to Gold the next day) but I'm about to stream some Random ladder until Proleague starts.

www.twitch.tv/yakisc

Old
04-16-2013, 03:03 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Streaming again for a while... www.twitch.tv/yakisc

Old
04-16-2013, 10:08 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Just played like crap in a game where iNcontroL was obs/coaching the opponent. Lost TvZ on Daybreak. Ugh.

Old
04-16-2013, 10:31 PM
Dave

Quote:
Just played like crap in a game where iNcontroL was obs/coaching the opponent. Lost TvZ on Daybreak. Ugh.
Were you streaming? Was incontrol? I'll check out the vods if you and he were streaming.

Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Were you streaming? Was incontrol? I'll check out the vods if you and he were streaming.
I wasn't unfortunately. I was actually Photoshopping and setting up my long since abandoned Twitter (@YakiStarCraft) when I saw via Twitter that Inc was looking for a gold league T or P for a practice session. Hopped on B.net real quick and into his channel, didn't have time to turn on the stream since we jumped into a game pretty much right away.

I don't believe Inc was streaming either. It wasn't a good game anyways. I played way too passively, which I tend to do on TvZ Daybreak (love the map, hate it for that matchup). Had trouble establishing my 3rd base. Did some decent economic damage with drops but they were too infrequent. The only good thing I did was deny his 4th just as he was taking it, then juked a Medivac between his natural and 3rd with a drop to get him to misposition his army so I could snipe more drones. Eventually I got eaten up by Mutas and didn't have enough Thors or good enough defensive Marine/Turret positioning - ended up losing a ton of Depots and workers. He ended the game with Ling/Bane/Muta/Ultra.

I didn't think he was that good for gold Zerg (not that gold players are good to begin with) but I guess it helps having a pro player telling you what to do. His macro never seemed that threatening until I was so supply blocked that I couldn't make anything for a long time.

Old
04-17-2013, 07:19 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Streaming again, probably going to work on Protoss since it's my weakest.

www.twitch.tv/yakisc

Old
04-17-2013, 08:39 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

vCash: 50
Good taste in music yaki.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-18-2013, 04:36 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Dylan View Post
Good taste in music yaki.
Is that a compliment Barry? Yes it is other Barry. Yes it is.

Old
04-18-2013, 05:59 PM
LSnow

Weirdest thing happened today. My B.Net account was hacked, but luckily i found a clever way hack it back. The guy whoever it was had added his friends to my friendlist, leveled up my character in d2 and played a game of 1v1 which he lost.