HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Starcraft 2: Heart of the Swarm Part 2. MLG TIME!

Old
04-24-2013, 04:53 PM
steafo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to steafo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
That's actually good in a way, that he got you to make more bases so you could afford to hammer him. To give you an idea of what you should aim for, 3 bases with 16 mineral workers and 6 on gas plus a fourth base with ~5-7 on minerals and 6 on gas, and finally a 5th base with 6 on gas only is very close to the ideal economy for a zerg. It might be a bit extreme for a low level player though.

Unfortunately the units you sent at him were useless against fortified defenses. Banelings would've been useless too. Had you gone either swarmhosts or brood lords you would've rolled over him with ease. Given your position, you could've made 20 of each, there's no way he could've stopped it.

Brood lords would probably be the better choice since they're air units and can attack where ever you'd like. He has all his units at the front? Awesome, swing the broods around the back. They also are guaranteed to do damage since the broodlings do impact damage and then melee damage afterwards. Since locusts only do ranged attacks, his defenses could be so good such that they locusts could never get in range to do damage before they die. That's why you'd need a ton of swarmhosts, no matter how good his defense is, he wouldn't be able to kill them all before they do some damage.

Go back to that replay and use 'resume from replay'. Try out broods and swarmhosts to see how they work against that position.
How do I do that????

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 05:13 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
How do I do that????
I've never actually used it myself, but I'd imagine you just go to your replays and find the one you want, right click and select resume/recover. Then you input the time you want to go to. However, you might need someone to control the opponents perspective, not sure if you can resume by yourself.

Edit:

To resume from replay you right click the replay in question and select recover, then select a time to recover from. You can recover a replay by yourself, however, if you do, it will be no different than returning to a game after you've already won said game. That is, your opponents units will be idle and wont agro. So it isn't necessarily the best way to go about it.

Last edited by Dave: 04-24-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 09:54 PM
leova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
I've never actually used it myself, but I'd imagine you just go to your replays and find the one you want, right click and select resume/recover. Then you input the time you want to go to. However, you might need someone to control the opponents perspective, not sure if you can resume by yourself.

Edit:

To resume from replay you right click the replay in question and select recover, then select a time to recover from. You can recover a replay by yourself, however, if you do, it will be no different than returning to a game after you've already won said game. That is, your opponents units will be idle and wont agro. So it isn't necessarily the best way to go about it.
correct, you're better off finding a practice partner, and then maybe ask them to "resume from replay" on that game with you

leova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-24-2013, 10:03 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Anyone else use "GGTracker"? It's a site where you upload your replays and it analyzes how well you are managing your economy and race-specific macro mechanics. Based on your spending quotient it tells you if your econ management is at bronze/silver/gold/plat/etc level by comparing it against the average of all the other replays on the site.

You can also break it down by your race and/or your opponent's race, maps, etc.

www.ggtracker.com
http://ggtracker.com/players/763850 < my profile

Overall I think it's really helpful, especially as I'm playing Random. My Terran in particular needs a TON of work.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-25-2013, 11:04 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Oh god, the GSL groups got picked last night:

Group A - RorO , Flying , YoDa , Soulkey
Group B - PartinG , Life , InNoVation , Flash OMG
Group C - TaeJa , Shine , sOs , Bomber
Group D - Symbol , SoO , KangHo , GuMiho

Old
04-25-2013, 11:37 AM
Juzmo
Girls, girls, girls.

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
Oh god, the GSL groups got picked last night:

Group A - RorO , Flying , YoDa , Soulkey
Group B - PartinG , Life , InNoVation , Flash OMG
Group C - TaeJa , Shine , sOs , Bomber
Group D - Symbol , SoO , KangHo , GuMiho

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-26-2013, 08:56 AM
Juzmo
Girls, girls, girls.

vCash: 690
This Dreamhack is getting better by the second.

Juzmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:08 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Dreamhack semi-finals are playing right now. Naniwa vs. Jaedong, with Jaedong up 1-0 in a BO3. Winner faces Leenock in the finals.

98k people viewing.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:23 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juzmo View Post
This Dreamhack is getting better by the second.

Apollo got very pink very quickly...

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 03:45 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Wow sick series between Jaedong and Naniwa. JD went up 1-0, which prompted Naniwa to proxy 2gate to tie it up. Game 3 vertical spawns on Star Station, Naniwa fakes a 4gate to force JD to make ~24 Lings and then doesn't attack, instead going into Phoenix while teching to Colossus. JD cancels Naniwa's 3rd Nexus at least 3 times while making a ton of Ultras. Naniwa has to hold his 3rd, and morphs 3 Archons just before the push comes from JD... SOMEHOW he holds his 3rd and keeps adding on Colossi/Archon. The Swedish crowd went ballistic for that hold and from then on he kept increasing his advantage while JD was trying to take a 4th. Eventually Naniwa hit ~190 supply and pushed, melting JD's Swarm Hosts and mass Lings. Naniwa in the finals against Leenock!

Old
04-27-2013, 06:23 PM
oXo Cube
Termite

Send a message via Skype™ to oXo Cube
well

Spoil:
Nani played his heart out in that booth today

no shame in losing to Leenock. ggwp

oXo Cube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Dave

Didn't watch a lot of dreamhack, but what I did watch was very well done. They put on one hell of a show, and that 60fps stream, so ****ing smooth.

Sick numbers during the finals too, upwards of 120,000. Dem some LoL numbers.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:30 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Oh how good it feels to play ZvT and demolish someone who tries to turtle and mass Hellbats/Widow Mines/Thors. Then the guy blames the loss on Thor AI being bad against Brood Lords when he never had more than ~45 SCVs in a 38 minute game and I was on 7 bases.

Old
04-27-2013, 07:37 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Quote:
Oh how good it feels to play ZvT and demolish someone who tries to turtle and mass Hellbats/Widow Mines/Thors. Then the guy blames the loss on Thor AI being bad against Brood Lords when he never had more than ~45 SCVs in a 38 minute game and I was on 7 bases.
I fing hate hellbats now, and i play toss...

LickTheEnvelope is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-28-2013, 02:01 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Old
04-29-2013, 10:01 AM
n0pan
waddup doe

Send a message via Skype™ to n0pan
what are the zerg openings nowadays? it's been a long time since i've laddered so i'm not too sure of the metagame.

n0pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:27 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by FNK View Post
what are the zerg openings nowadays? it's been a long time since i've laddered so i'm not too sure of the metagame.
I'm playing Random, high platinum, and Zerg is clearly carrying me at this point.

My openings:

ZvZ:
15 Hatch
16 Pool
17 Gas
16 Overlord
20 Queen x2, plus 4 Lings
24 Overlord
@100gas Zergling Sppeed
@50gas Baneling Nest

It's a pretty standard ZvZ Ling/Bane opener. Some games I don't have to make any Banes at all if the opponent is playing defensively, some games end at 8 minutes. I feel that it's a good way to get into the midgame, where you should have double Evo chambers and be Overlord scouting for a Spire. Most ZvZ turns into mass Muta wars so you either need to commit to Mutas early or have fantastic creep spread with speed Hydras on the map.

----

ZvT:
15 Hatch
16 Pool
17 Gas
16 Overlord
Double Queen when Pool/Hatch finish
1 pair of Lings to take watchtowers or forward positions
Zergling Speed
Double Evo chamber to partially wall your natural choke, melee + carapace upgrades
Depending on what you see, either throw down a defensive Baneling nest or a Roach Warren - in either case you don't want to make that many Banes or Roaches unless you're going to bust his natural. Gas should go into Lair tech. Some people like Roach/Hydra but I prefer Ling/Bane/Muta into Ultras.

-----

ZvP: Not typical, but I like 3 base Hydra pushes.
14 Pool
15 Hatch
16 Overlord
16 Queen + 1 pair of Lings
~4:00-4:30 3rd base, Queen
~25 Gas + Drones
~7:00 Lair
Gas #2 + 3
Evo (earlier if you scout Stargate unless you want to defend w/ ~5 Queens)
Hydra Den + Missile Attacks
Hydra Speed
Push with Hydra+Ling off 3 bases while transitioning into Spire tech

Old
04-29-2013, 06:13 PM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

I blow at SCII. Best I got was High Silver as Zerg. Love Zerg.

Problem is that I generally don't have a plan. I just screw around and make whatever/do whatever I feel like. Don't scout often.

So, my question is, when I scout, how can I tell what the opponent is doing, and how do I react accordingly? This is a lot, so does anyone have a link to a general guide?

Finlandia WOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post
I blow at SCII. Best I got was High Silver as Zerg. Love Zerg.

Problem is that I generally don't have a plan. I just screw around and make whatever/do whatever I feel like. Don't scout often.

So, my question is, when I scout, how can I tell what the opponent is doing, and how do I react accordingly? This is a lot, so does anyone have a link to a general guide?
Basic things you want to look for when scouting. Building timings. If your drone gets there and there is no gate/rax when there should be, he might be cheesing, or he might be fast expanding, etc. You want to scout for tech, perhaps even scout how many workers they have and try to get an idea of what a normal econ looks at different times. Whether or not they're using chronoboost, are they saving up larva or using them? You see a roach warren building and a bunch of larva sitting on the hatch, get ready. Finally, you want to determine the gas timing. If their gas is taken by the time you get there, try to determine the timing of the gas relative to other buildings, did they gas before rax/pool/gate? How much gas have they mined?

A good thing to learn is some basic timings of the other races. When do medivac+marines come, when do immortal/sentry all-ins come, marine tank timing, hellbat/mine drops, oracle harrass, muta timing etc. As a zerg it's really important to understand these timings, when you're nearing them you should up your scouting and awareness. You have to be ready to make attacking units rather than workers at the drop of a hat. The worst thing that can happen as a zerg is to power out ~10 drones only to realize that an army is marching towards you, and you're now stuck without larva.

Old
04-30-2013, 12:44 AM
parabola
Global Moderator
novus ordo seclorum

Yaki with dem proleague shoutout. He's eFamous now.

parabola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
Yaki with dem proleague shoutout. He's eFamous now.
Haha I tweeted that question and then went to sleep. Totally forgot about it.

Old
05-01-2013, 09:34 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Group of Death starts at 5:00am EST... Considering waking up for it but I'm not sure yet.

WCS NA is on with Alicia (P, KR), Illusion (T, USA), Maker (T, MEX), and Moonglade (Z, AUS). Alicia advances at the top of the group, beating Illusion 2-1. Now Maker faces Moonglade in the loser's match, and the winner of that will face Illusion to determine who else advances.

edit: Moonglade beat Maker.

edit: Illusion vs. Moonglade (2nd series) game 2 on Daybreak is one the best games I've seen. So intense.

Last edited by yakitate304: 05-02-2013 at 12:12 AM.
Old
05-02-2013, 03:29 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

GSL Group B. Holy **** that was awesome. Just watched the VODs.

Old
05-03-2013, 10:44 AM
RollTheBones109

Quote:
GSL Group B. Holy **** that was awesome. Just watched the VODs.
Innovation played Starcraft 2 at a higher level than anyone has ever played, in my opinion.

Truly unbelievable play from everyone.

RollTheBones109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-03-2013, 11:24 AM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by RollTheBones109 View Post
Innovation played Starcraft 2 at a higher level than anyone has ever played, in my opinion.

Truly unbelievable play from everyone.
Even PartinG's Hatchery block against Life on Belshir Vestige was awesome, getting a Pylon down after going Nexus first and his Forge, with both of those buildings at about 25%. The Nexus was almost completely done by the time the Pylon had been killed and the Hatch went down.