HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Sciences
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Sciences A place to discuss natural, applied & social sciences, along with any other academically-oriented topics of interest to membership.

Should We Bring Extinct Species Back to Life?

Old
03-13-2013, 04:28 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

vCash: 500
Should We Bring Extinct Species Back to Life?

Nat Geo asks the question should we play God and bring back extinct species?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Starbuds
You like muscles?

We created "God." Why not create life?

Starbuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:08 PM
AfroThunder396
Lou's Secret Sauce

It's a slippery slope. To bring back something like the thylacine or Ivory-billed Woodpecker and re-introduce them into the ecosystem, I wouldn't object to on any scientific grounds.

However, it would be an enormous undertaking though, billions of dollars and at least a decade to put in motion, and that's a lot of money to spend on something you're not even sure will be successful in the long-term. Who's to say they'll actually breed in the wild? Maybe they need to acquire some learned behavior.

In 30 years this will probably more feasible but I can't really justify it at the moment.

AfroThunder396 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:08 PM
octopi

Where's my elephant wooly mammoth?

I say bring it back if it's similar to something already living. Or it's a dinosaur.

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:11 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

Difficult to determine which species ought to be brought back.

There should be an era requirement. Otherwise we'd probably bring back creatures with no natural predators and no ability to cope with modern climates and ecosystems.
Should also try to only bring back species that died out because of human activity. This raises the question, how do we determine which species were even eliminated by human activity in the first place?

etc
etc

03-14-2013, 06:16 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfroThunder396 View Post
It's a slippery slope. To bring back something like the thylacine or Ivory-billed Woodpecker and re-introduce them into the ecosystem, I wouldn't object to on any scientific grounds.

However, it would be an enormous undertaking though, billions of dollars and at least a decade to put in motion, and that's a lot of money to spend on something you're not even sure will be successful in the long-term. Who's to say they'll actually breed in the wild? Maybe they need to acquire some learned behavior.

In 30 years this will probably more feasible but I can't really justify it at the moment.
Hah. I came here to suggest the thylacine as a good start point. A creature that is pretty much within a century since extinction, and we still have specimens in jars and very recent skeletons.

I think the experiments would be useful and could leave to some breakthroughs in genetics.

Re-creating an extinct species is on the same level as landing on the moon. It would be one of the single greatest achievements in the entire fields of biology and chemistry.

At first, it would have to be a carefully controlled habitat, like that of a thylacine. Obviously, we can't model or comprehend yet the ramifications of re-inventing a species like say, the most famous example of all, the dinosaurs, which would be introducing a new pinnacle predator to the planet.

No matter what, we will be altering the system and habitats of these creatures. If we re-vive the thylacine, then all creatures that have thrived since would be affected. But it is also inevitable that as our capability enhances, there will sooner or later be nothing on this planet that doesn't have our fingerprints on it. Going to have to learn sooner or later.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 06:57 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Start with something lazy and pointless, like Dodo birds. Those things aren't likely to go all Jurassic Park on anything.

03-14-2013, 08:57 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Start with something lazy and pointless, like Dodo birds. Those things aren't likely to go all Jurassic Park on anything.
That's what you think! Oh, God! WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?! Run for your lives!

Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:32 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Yeah sure, lets do it if it's possible.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:31 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuds View Post
We created "God." Why not create life?
Best answer.
And we killed species, why not bring them back? Unless it brings the creature pain.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 265
Not if it was gone prior to say the "modern man". It died or was killed off naturally, let's not bring back what we didn't kill. Let the same process that got us here keep on it's own path.

Pie can't compete with cake. Put candles in a cake it's a birthday cake. Put candles in a pie, someone's drunk in the kitchen. - Jim Gaffigan
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:09 AM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

I call it "Billy and the Cloneasaurus"

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Loose Sens
Drafting my Overalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
Not if it was gone prior to say the "modern man". It died or was killed off naturally, let's not bring back what we didn't kill. Let the same process that got us here keep on it's own path.
I wouldn't say bring them back to life and then have them introduced into the habitat... but why not clone a dino if we can... kill it and then dissect it.

Loose Sens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

I don't think so.Nothing last forever and there are usually good reasons why certain species like the Dodo went extinct.

Bobby Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 01:46 PM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
herecomethepretzels

vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
I wouldn't say bring them back to life and then have them introduced into the habitat... but why not clone a dino if we can... kill it and then dissect it.
well, I could get behind that concept I guess - maybe one gets loose and destroys PETA headquarters.

Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Old Man Barking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Clark View Post
I don't think so.Nothing last forever and there are usually good reasons why certain species like the Dodo went extinct.
? Humans and invasive species were the driving force for the Dodo to go extinct if I remember correctly?

Granted, they were flightless, but that was because they didn't require flight. Only thing they'd ever have to fly away from was us.

Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see how human induced extinction is a "good reason".

Old Man Barking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Cupcakes View Post
? Humans and invasive species were the driving force for the Dodo to go extinct if I remember correctly?

Granted, they were flightless, but that was because they didn't require flight. Only thing they'd ever have to fly away from was us.

Not trying to be a jerk, I just don't see how human induced extinction is a "good reason".
I don't know if a species vulnerable to the point of being weak to any type of "invaders" like cats and dogs was really meant to survive in our world.They were big, flightless and nested on the ground so they had no way of fighting back and their nests were totally vulnerable.The only way they would have survived in the wild is if the island was blocked from anything and everything that could pray on them or their nests.

Last edited by Bobby Clark: 03-20-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old
03-20-2013, 03:14 PM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Agree that it should only be concering species that were lost as a result of human contact. We shouldn't be bringing back anything that was killed off naturally.

Though that begs the question, if we weren't directly responsible for the creature no longer exsisting, would we then have to look at if we're responsible for putting into motion something that caused another species to finish another off?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Bobby Clark
Spicy Sausage

An event that is happening right now and is directly caused by humans is the invasion of Burmese Pythons in Florida.They are a dominant apex predator in the region with nothing hunting them except when humans do it for sport.

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/20...e-pythons.html

Old
03-20-2013, 07:00 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Clark View Post
An event that is happening right now and is directly caused by humans is the invasion of Burmese Pythons in Florida.They are a dominant apex predator in the region with nothing hunting them except when humans do it for sport.

http://www.petethomasoutdoors.com/20...e-pythons.html
Sooo this has to do with bringing back extinct species how exactly?

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 12:36 AM
ryanwb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Going to have to learn sooner or later.
While I would tend to agree with this sentiment, I think we have to draw a line here. Bringing back an extinct species? How do we realistically do something like that when we cannot even curb our own species' habits and destructive behavior to save the species that are currently endangered or at risk?

I say we should be more worried about integrating human civilization into the natural world without so many adverse effects before we start worry about bringing things back from the dead.

ryanwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:59 AM
sabresfan129103

I thought a read fairly recently that the half life of DNA isn't that long, so at this point it would be impossible to clone any species that has been extinct for an extended period of time.

I found the article. http://www.nature.com/news/dna-has-a...f-life-1.11555

sabresfan129103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 10:58 AM
xX Hot Fuss

I think we should focus on the dozens and dozens of endangered species that we currently can't efficiently control before we bring back Sabre-Tooths and Mammoths

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2013, 07:13 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Nat Geo asks the question should we play God and bring back extinct species?
That's like asking if we should prevent nature from creating new species.

Old
03-30-2013, 02:39 AM
MarkGio

What's the point? We can't even protect our current species!

MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote