HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Leading league in G,A,P in Regular season and playoffs

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-27-2013, 12:06 PM
  #1
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,195
vCash: 500
Leading league in G,A,P in Regular season and playoffs

I was just looking at Sidney Crosby's stats from this season and noticed an interesting fact.

He has lead the league in goals and points in the regular season and goals, assists and points in the playoffs. He currently leads the league in assists this year, if he held on for the remainder of the season he would have lead the league in all those each of those categories in both the regular season and post season.

Would this be a significant accomplishment, or just a neat fact? What players have managed this? Just doing a quick check I don't believe any active players have done this but Lemieux and Gretzky have accomplished this of course as well as Howe.


Last edited by Beau Knows: 03-27-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:21 PM
  #2
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
I was just looking at Sidney Crosby's stats from this season and noticed an interesting fact.

He has lead the league in goals and points in the regular season and goals, assists and points in the playoffs. He currently leads the league in assists this year, if he held on for the remainder of the season he would have lead the league in all those each of those categories in both the regular season and post season.

Would this be a significant accomplishment, or just a neat fact? What players have managed this? Just doing a quick check I don't believe any active players have done this but Lemieux and Gretzky have accomplished this of course as well as Howe.
Orr was close only to be beaten by Espo in a few different years in goals in the regular season and playoffs.

But yeah, this is an interesting stat to throw around.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:31 PM
  #3
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Orr was close only to be beaten by Espo in a few different years in goals in the regular season and playoffs.

But yeah, this is an interesting stat to throw around.
Orr doing would be insane, it still is insane that he almost pulling it off of course.

I'm surprised to see that Jagr never lead the regular season in goals or the post-season in goals, assists or points. Being on the same team as Lemieux doesn't help of course.

I think you have to be in the right situation to do this. You need line-mates/team-mates who are good enough to bury your passes but not so good that they beat you in points or goals.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:41 PM
  #4
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16 99
 
Cyborg LeClair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,307
vCash: 400
Interesting I guess, but it's more of a feat to lead the league in both goals and assists during the same season in my opinion. Doing each during different seasons isn't all that impressive.

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:44 PM
  #5
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
Interesting I guess, but it's more of a feat to lead the league in both goals and assists during the same season in my opinion. Doing each during different seasons isn't all that impressive.
Oh different seasons! Well Orr was very very close than only losing out in goals in the regular season. If you use 69-70 and 71-72.

Again, as a defenseman, which makes it impressive.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 12:52 PM
  #6
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
Interesting I guess, but it's more of a feat to lead the league in both goals and assists during the same season in my opinion. Doing each during different seasons isn't all that impressive.
Of course, I imagine that is a feat only a few players have managed. Lemieux, Gretzky and Howe have all done this.

Doing a little more research Beliveau has also done them in different seasons.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:10 PM
  #7
JaymzB
Registered User
 
JaymzB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Toronto
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Both Beliveau and Howe have done this.

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:26 PM
  #8
Irato99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 204
vCash: 500
I think only Gretzky achieved this feat during the same season, amazingly he did it 4 times.

Irato99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:54 PM
  #9
double5son10
Registered User
 
double5son10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 353
vCash: 500
Lafleur - led regular season in points '76,'77, '78; in goals in '78, in assists '77; playoff leader in points '77, '78, '79; in goals '75 & '77; in assists '77 & '79

double5son10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 03:59 PM
  #10
Crosbyfan
Registered User
 
Crosbyfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 7,778
vCash: 500
Phil Esposito as well

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:18 PM
  #11
Dissonance
Registered User
 
Dissonance's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cabbage Patch
Posts: 1,158
vCash: 500
Dickie Moore has done it -- http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...mooredi01.html

Ted Lindsay too -- http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...lindste01.html

-----

Edit: And I guess if we wanna go way back, Howie Morenz -- http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...morenho01.html

Dissonance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:37 PM
  #12
vadim sharifijanov
Rrbata
 
vadim sharifijanov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 10,026
vCash: 500
so nobody's done all of that in the same year, which is what i'd originally thought this thread was about.

closest are gretzky (led the league in everything in the RS and assists and points in the playoff for three straight years ('83-'85), but surprisingly the only year he led the league in playoff goals was '93. gretzky was 5, 1, and 2 playoff goals behind the league leader in those years, finishing second in the second and third years.

as far as i can tell, the only other guy with 5/6 in the same year is newsy lalonde. in 1919, leads the regular season in everything, plus playoff goals and points. his 2 assists were one behind the leader (three guys tied with 3).


also, lalonde led the league in playoff goals, assists, and points in 1918, making him the one of the very few guys to ever run the table in one single regular season, and run the table in one other playoff run. gretzky is another of course, phil esposito also did it, and i don't want to go through all the old-timers to check but i don't think there are any.

vadim sharifijanov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:45 PM
  #13
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Phil Esposito as well

Nah from what I researched Espo would lead in goals but Orr would take him in points and assists. Was close everytime though, they flip flopped who would have more.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 04:59 PM
  #14
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Orr was close only to be beaten by Espo in a few different years in goals in the regular season and playoffs.

But yeah, this is an interesting stat to throw around.
Orr was never that close. The highest he ever finished in goals was 6th, and when he had 9 goals in the playoffs, Espo had 13 and Bucyk had 11.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:04 PM
  #15
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Nah from what I researched Espo would lead in goals but Orr would take him in points and assists. Was close everytime though, they flip flopped who would have more.
Esposito:

1st in regular season goals 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975
1st in regular season assists 1968, 1969, 1973
1st in regular season points 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

1st in playoff goals 1969, 1970, 1972
1st in playoff assists 1969, 1970
1st in playoff points 1969, 1970, 1972

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...esposph01.html

It helps to be a forward

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:20 PM
  #16
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Esposito:

1st in regular season goals 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974, 1975
1st in regular season assists 1968, 1969, 1973
1st in regular season points 1969, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1974

1st in playoff goals 1969, 1970, 1972
1st in playoff assists 1969, 1970
1st in playoff points 1969, 1970, 1972

http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...esposph01.html

It helps to be a forward
Well if you are going to cut it up like that than yes, Espo applies. I was thinking it all had to be done in the same season.

But I don't think you have this 100% right either. Orr lead in assists and points in 1969 and some of those other years Orr beats out Espo in some categories in the season and playoffs. So,I am not sure what you are looking at or where you got those stats.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1970.html

For example I am not going to grab the other years as 1969 is wrong.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
  #17
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator
 
TheDevilMadeMe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Brooklyn
Country: United States
Posts: 41,056
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamBamCam View Post
Well if you are going to cut it up like that than yes, Espo applies. I was thinking it all had to be done in the same season.

But I don't think you have this 100% right either. Orr lead in assists and points in 1969 and some of those other years Orr beats out Espo in some categories in the season and playoffs. So,I am not sure what you are looking at or where you got those stats.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BOS/1970.html

For example I am not going to grab the other years as 1969 is wrong.
Bobby Orr

1st in regular season assists 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975
1st in regular season points 1970,1975

1st in playoff assists 1972, 1974
1st in playoff points 1972

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/orrbo01.html

Orr and Espo were tied for the lead in playoff points in 1972

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 05:30 PM
  #18
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDevilMadeMe View Post
Bobby Orr

1st in regular season assists 1970, 1971, 1972, 1974, 1975
1st in regular season points 1970,1975

1st in playoff assists 1972, 1974
1st in playoff points 1972

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/o/orrbo01.html

Orr and Espo were tied for the lead in playoff points in 1972
Gotcha, I see how you posted the seasons correlated to the year above.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 07:07 PM
  #19
Big Phil
Registered User
 
Big Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,546
vCash: 500
Stan Mikita is remarkably close to doing this. He led the playoffs in goals in 1961 and assists and points in 1962. He has 4 Art Ross trophies, led the NHL in assists three times and finished 2nd in goals three times. That's it, all he needed to do was lead the NHL in goals in the regular season. Trottier only had one stat to acheive and that was lead the NHL in goals. He did everything else the OP mentioned, even in the postseason. He finished 5th in regular season goals twice and that was his best.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 12:12 AM
  #20
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sendthepuck View Post
Another interesting note. Crosby is the youngest player to lead both the regular season and post season in scoring.
Crosby didn't lead the postseason in scoring. He had the most points.

There is a difference, and the difference is that he had fewer goals than Henrik Zetterberg, who had the same number of points.

Zetterberg led the postseason in scoring; Crosby tied with him for the most points.

Not unlike how Eric Lindros has never led the NHL in scoring, despite tying Jagr at 70 points in 1994-95.

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
  #21
Beau Knows
Captain Canada
 
Beau Knows's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,195
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Crosby didn't lead the postseason in scoring. He had the most points.

There is a difference, and the difference is that he had fewer goals than Henrik Zetterberg, who had the same number of points.

Zetterberg led the postseason in scoring; Crosby tied with him for the most points.

Not unlike how Eric Lindros has never led the NHL in scoring, despite tying Jagr at 70 points in 1994-95.
Goals is the tie-breaker for the Art Ross. There is no playoff scoring title, therefore no tie-breaker.

Beau Knows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:24 AM
  #22
pdd
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,576
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau Knows View Post
Goals is the tie-breaker for the Art Ross. There is no playoff scoring title, therefore no tie-breaker.
The Art Ross trophy goes to the league leader in scoring.

Eric Lindros has never won the Art Ross trophy.

No player had more points than Eric Lindros in 1994-95.

Do you consider Eric Lindros to have led the league in scoring?

pdd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:33 AM
  #23
BamBamCam*
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Seattle/Boston
Country: Ireland
Posts: 1,395
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
The Art Ross trophy goes to the league leader in scoring.

Eric Lindros has never won the Art Ross trophy.

No player had more points than Eric Lindros in 1994-95.

Do you consider Eric Lindros to have led the league in scoring?
Is it really that difficult to understand the difference between the playoffs and the regular season? He explained it to you, rewording what you said the first time doesn't change anything, you are just trying to spin.

Lindros is not considered the point winner due to the tie-breaker for the regular season. Playoffs have NO SUCH distinction. Therefor, Crosby would be considered the point leader albeit tied but leader.

Lindros doesn't need to be mentioned again in your attempt to change facts, it's a false equivalence because it doesn't fall under the same rules as Crosby.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:37 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.