HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

This team is terrible without Karlsson

Old
03-05-2013, 05:07 AM
GuineaPig

vCash: 500
This team is terrible without Karlsson

I don't think it has really sunk in, what with how well the three goalies are playing, but this team is pretty ******* awful at the moment. Yeah, losing Spezza and Michalek hurts as well, but Karlsson was definitely this team's best player. When puck possession is the most important part of the game, losing the best possession player in the league is obviously going to hurt, but Murray hasn't made any attempt to patch the gaping hole.

I don't see how Ottawa can make the playoffs at this rate. I suppose the goalies could continue to defy the odds for a little while longer, and the team's shooting percentage might buck up some, but overall things look pretty dire. If the goalies weren't playing the way they were I think the fanbase would be hopping mad right about now.

EDIT: Graphs come from here.

GuineaPig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:17 AM
bacon25

I actually think that Karlsson being gone (temporarily) is a good thing for the team. It prevents the Sens from being one-dimensional and relying on Karlsson to provide all the offense. The team is learning to play a more complete game, sure they look bad out there but they are just kids. The team was not exactly tearing it up with Karlsson, Spezza et al in the line up anyways. I really think that next year this team will be playing more complete games and it won't be Karlsson or Spezza or even Anderson carrying the team into the playoffs. Just my two cents.

bacon25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 05:29 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
The team was not exactly tearing it up with Karlsson, Spezza et al in the line up anyways.
The team was 5 - 1 - 1 with 24 goals. That was pretty awesome to start the year. Injuries make a huge difference.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:01 AM
SlapJack
Scum bag Sens

They're much better with Karlsson (and Spezza and Michalek and Cowen), but last I checked, goalies are part of the team and they haven't been blown out once this year. Just got 2 points out of 3 games on the road and could have won all 3 of those games. That's not terrible.

SlapJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:12 AM
guyzeur

vCash: 50
Who will finish first in goals scored this year? O'brien? Zbad? Alife?

How many goals will have our top scorer? 10 or 8 maybe?

in a 84 season, that would be around 15, 16goals.

Yes we're missing EK and Spezza

guyzeur is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:38 AM
Flamingo

I think most fans realized our puck possession and shots-for would decline or even plummet without Karlsson. The feeling you're describing overtook us when Cooke sliced Karlsson's achilles. And again when Anderson was injured.

I'm amazed at how well we're doing despite those injuries.

Methot and the other defensemen have been effective at moving the puck out of the zone. We have two strong second string goalies.

Some fans were astute enough to see we were about to take a few losses when we were at the end of our five game winning streak.

Stay tuned. We might not have another regulation win for a while. Or the kids might start to score, and keep us at .500 hockey.

Flamingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 06:59 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

We were winning games via shoot out and by one goal.

Now the opposite is happening.

These things were going to average out.

NyQuil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:06 AM
enviro61

I just find the team incredibly boring to watch. Hockey is an entertainment product and though the die hard fans would follow a trap 1-0 game, most fans tune in to watch stars and offence. Unless this team can field a more entertaining product, there will be more empty seats. Noone player is worth the price of admission on this edition of the Sens.

This team puts me to sleep and there is noone I tune in to watch play and not a single player's stats that I care about except the goalies maybe.

Last edited by enviro61: 03-05-2013 at 07:13 AM.
enviro61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:12 AM
OgieO

We had a few lucky wins (NYI comes to mind) where we were badly out chanced but still won. That's great, but in the long run I wonder if it might cost us one of the premier picks in the draft...

Not saying I want us to tank, but if these fortunate points do nothing more than get us 9th in the East, I'd probably be happier suffering now but ending up 14th in the East.

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:14 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
We had a few lucky wins (NYI comes to mind) where we were badly out chanced but still won. That's great, but in the long run I wonder if it might cost us one of the premier picks in the draft...

Not saying I want us to tank, but if these fortunate points do nothing more than get us 9th in the East, I'd probably be happier suffering now but ending up 14th in the East.
This was always going to be the challenge.

I still think young players learn more trying to win.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:18 AM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Without Karlsson, this team is barely three goalie injuries away from missing the playoffs...

BonkTastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:20 AM
OgieO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil View Post
This was always going to be the challenge.

I still think young players learn more trying to win.
I think you're right. But if there was ever a year where a team could just say "**** it, the hockey gods are against us" this was it.

But, again, I do think you're right. The development of the players on the roster is more important than getting the better player not on the roster (unless that player is a franchise player I suppose).

OgieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:39 AM
Orr123

Not at all shocked by this. Obviously Karlsson makes a HUGE difference in puck possession. And I wouldn't be shocked to see the team bottom out. Surprised they have not already.

Like others have said, it's a great learning curve for the team and at least they are not totally giving up. This year isn't our year so let the kids try and do the best they can. Win or lose. Then next year we can get back to our fun and exciting offensive play.

Orr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 07:47 AM
Mercurial
#lalala

But, but ... we have more points per game without Karlsson that with him in the lineup.
/sarcasm.

Mercurial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:24 AM
Legend Killer

vCash: 1263
The loss of Spezza has more of an effect on the team than losing Karlsson. Not by much tho.

Everyone of our forwards has struggled to produce without Spezza. Even worst case scenario on the PP you can put Alfie on the point.

When you lose your #1 C. Every forward feels that. Turris has not responded whatsoever to being put into that role.

They are both huge losses but I think the loss of Spezza gets overlooked by EK.

Legend Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:29 AM
Cujomi
Hart en Ziel

Would rather try to win than turn into Edmonton.

Also we probably only need to play .500 hockey to make the playoffs from here on out anyway...if not a bit above. Michalek coming back, Stone being inserted, Spezza returing with about a month left in the season and maybe a minor move could secure that.

Cujomi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:52 AM
MiscBrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuineaPig View Post
[IMG]http://cdn2.sbnation.com/imported_assets/1479325/chart4_zps362eb339_medium.png[IMG]

[IMG]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BEc3bB1CMAAcMF5.jpg:large[IMG]

I don't think it has really sunk in, what with how well the three goalies are playing, but this team is pretty ******* awful at the moment. Yeah, losing Spezza and Michalek hurts as well, but Karlsson was definitely this team's best player. When puck possession is the most important part of the game, losing the best possession player in the league is obviously going to hurt, but Murray hasn't made any attempt to patch the gaping hole.

I don't see how Ottawa can make the playoffs at this rate. I suppose the goalies could continue to defy the odds for a little while longer, and the team's shooting percentage might buck up some, but overall things look pretty dire. If the goalies weren't playing the way they were I think the fanbase would be hopping mad right about now.

EDIT: Graphs come from here.
Really? You don't think it has sunk it? Everyone knows we are clinging to a playoff spot. It's a miracle that a team losing 3 cornerstone players is still winning games. I would challenge any 3 teams in the league to lose the top centre, top defenseman, and top goalie and still win games. Imagine Chicago without Keith, Toews and Crawford...I think the streak would have ended a LONG time ago.

The sens aren't TERRIBLE though. We are actually really good defensively. We give up a lot of shots but as long as they are perimiter shots then there is no issue.

What do you think Murray should do right now? Who do you think we could get? What would we even trade? Karlsson, Spezza and MM are all returning at some point. We didn't lose these players to free agency. You just have to wait it out.

We aren't some leaky vessel out in the middle of the ocean. We are in the harbour being repaired.

MiscBrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 08:58 AM
discostu

It's no secret that the current Sens roster is very low on talent. We're surviving based on great
and well coached young players who are playing disciplined.

This is not a recipe for exciting hockey, nor is it really sustainable for success, but it's what you do when you take out the two most skilled players off a team that wasn't deemed anything more than about average by most pundits at the start of the season.

We may see a temporary drop off in attendance or ratings, but when you have one of the most exciting players in the world signed for a long time, you know fans are going to come back.

This isn't the case of a franchise putting a weak team on the ice because they are cheap or can't find talent. It's because they're decimated by injuries and are trying to hang in long enough until they get some guys back.

discostu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Iamok
#Panic

Cool? I don't know if there's anyone who suggested otherwise. Hell, pretty much every one of us thought we'd be a lottery team be now.

Iamok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:20 AM
pepty

vCash: 492
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
I actually think that Karlsson being gone (temporarily) is a good thing for the team. It prevents the Sens from being one-dimensional and relying on Karlsson to provide all the offense. The team is learning to play a more complete game, sure they look bad out there but they are just kids. The team was not exactly tearing it up with Karlsson, Spezza et al in the line up anyways. I really think that next year this team will be playing more complete games and it won't be Karlsson or Spezza or even Anderson carrying the team into the playoffs. Just my two cents.
I think this is a good point, and it should pay off the end of this year or next.

The year the Sens went to the Finals they lost their best players fora few weeks and and had to learn to play a new way and when the players came back the other players were more engaged and experienced.

What this team has accomplished in the 2nd year of a rebuild and with the best players down with injury has been a surprise, and though the defensive style they now have to use is not the most exciting hockey, if they do make it to the playoffs it will stand them in good stead.

pepty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 09:21 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Quote:
Originally Posted by enviro61 View Post
I just find the team incredibly boring to watch. Hockey is an entertainment product and though the die hard fans would follow a trap 1-0 game, most fans tune in to watch stars and offence. Unless this team can field a more entertaining product, there will be more empty seats. Noone player is worth the price of admission on this edition of the Sens.

This team puts me to sleep and there is noone I tune in to watch play and not a single player's stats that I care about except the goalies maybe.
Well,

Let's be honest, Ottawa has all of their star players...

Beville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OgieO View Post
I think you're right. But if there was ever a year where a team could just say "**** it, the hockey gods are against us" this was it.

But, again, I do think you're right. The development of the players on the roster is more important than getting the better player not on the roster (unless that player is a franchise player I suppose).
When we start seeing guys like MacKinnon scoring in the NHL, a lot of Sens fans will be griping about "what might have been".

That's a guarantee.

Oh well, the credibility of the organization as a whole is more important.

Old
03-05-2013, 10:12 AM
KA BLAMO

Did you really need to look at those graphs to figure that out?

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:15 AM
crockpot

Personally I think the team is just coming back down to reality. Yes we won a number of games since Erik got injured but they were mostly home games. This road trip has taken the wind out of our sails and shown our inadequacies.

I didn't think they'd play as well as they did considering the injuries but the tide is turning. Right now we have some good players, some mediocre players and some that should be back down in Bingo.

I will support this team unconditionally, but I don't see them making the playoffs unless we get back some of our key players.

crockpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
HavlatMach9

Are we ever out of any games? So far on the road we are effectively 1W2L. I'd say so far it's a success.

HavlatMach9 is offline   Reply With Quote