HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Greg Sherman & Co - Record as Colorado Avalanche GM (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceberg View Post
He has average skill level... he has a very good shot, but he is not a good passer or puck handler. We need to add top talent to our top 2 lines, IMO.
I'd like to see some more top end skill up there also. By and large, the Avs entire forward corps is built to score ugly goals. Dump it in, work it towards the net, get deflections and rebounds. And there are some pretty good players at it: Stastny, Jones (this season notwithstanding), Downie, O'R, McGinn, Landeskog, etc. Good players in that bunch, yes. But high-end skilled? Only Parenteau and Duchene have really shown high end puck skills in the offensive zone. I'm OK with this set of forwards to make a playoff run (when the defense and goaltending are fixed), but this group needs at least one more top end player to really contend.

With the inevitable decline of Hejduk, is there any forward on the team whose shot scares a goaltender from more than 15 feet out?

Old
04-25-2013, 05:14 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
And if both are on the top 6 it probably means another year out of the playoffs.
C'mon, we have Stastny as #3 center. How many teams in NHL can have Stastny as #3 center? Jones is/used to be 20 goal scorer, that's pretty good for third line as well. We have pretty deep team offensively. We maybe lack top goal scoring skill, but we have deep team offensively. I don't think It's going to be reason why we will out of playoffs.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:42 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
And if both are on the top 6 it probably means another year out of the playoffs.
Your expectations are too high. There's nothing wrong with having a guy like McGinn or Downie in the top six. Pretty much all teams do.

Vancouver plays Burrows, Higgins, and Raymond in their top six. Anaheim does the same with Palmieri, and Beleskey. SJ plays Gali with Thornton or Pavelski a lot. NYR regularly plays Carl Hagelin in their top six. Ottaway plays Latendresse all the time in their top six. Detroit regularly plays Abdelkader and Cleary in their top six.

These are all playoff teams, and they are all similar players as McGinn. At most they're all 20 goal 40 point guys like McGinn, with some less productive and less talented.

Old
04-25-2013, 05:45 PM
Nihiliste
HFBoards Sponsor

The way I see it, our current weaknesses:

1) Defense (need at least two more quality guys to be a playoff team, including a top pairing player)
2) High end scoring forward
3) Bottom 6 forward depth/PK forwards (need to make up for loss of McClement, Winnik, Gali, and O'reilly's change in roles)
4) Organizational depth (prospect pool is awfully thin)
5) Coaching

It looks like we'll be getting a high skill forward in this years draft. I also imagine we'll get a coaching change but whether it's an improvement or not is yet to be seen. I hope we can get another 2nd or 3rd (or both) somehow in this draft because we need to replenish our organizational depth. I also hope we upgrade our bottom 6 this year because right now our forwards just don't cut it defensively.

So anyways, I think Sherman and the Lacroix brain trust have the opportunity to address two of our organizational weaknesses outright (2&5), and to start improving in two other areas (3&4). I don't think we'll have much of an opportunity to improve our defense though.

Old
04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

if Varlamov has another year like this year, you can slot in goaltending behind defense.

Old
04-27-2013, 09:01 AM
Heebs21*

Looking over the roster, it's not as bad as I have made it out to be. We have three quality pairings at forward. We have some solid young D-men and this playing time will benefit them.

If we can add a #1 d-man to pair with Erik Johnson and a top line LW (Ryan Clowe would be a nice fit on that line and this team) we will be looking Ok. Maybe we land Drouin.

Alot depends on how Varlamov and Erik Johnson play and we need to stay injury free of course but this team does have talent. Im not sure if we will keep Stastny's salary though. If we can move him for a top pairing Dman I think we will.

I think we will shake things up on our coaching staff and I dont see how Sacco will survive as well.

Clowe/Drouin - Duchene - Parenteu
Downie - O'Reilly - Landeskog
McGinn - Stastny - Mitchell
Mcleod - Malone - Vincour/Bordeleau

?? - Johnson
Barrie - Hunwick
Elliot - Wilson
Zanon

O'Brien and Hedja's salary can all hit the road.

Thats not a bad squad.

Old
04-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Foppa2118

Nothing wrong with Hejda or his salary. Behind Duchene and PAP, he might have been the Avs best and most consistent player this year.

Old
04-27-2013, 03:03 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Nothing wrong with Hejda or his salary. Behind Duchene and PAP, he might have been the Avs best and most consistent player this year.
Whoa, Tiger. Did you check your Corsi stats before making such a claim? Judging players by actually observing their play isn't valid analysis, you know.

Seriously though, I agree with you. He very quietly plays a solid game. And for the second year in a row, he's playing his best hockey at the end of the season. I wonder whether age will catch up with him before the young developing members of the team do. :-)

Old
04-27-2013, 03:06 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post
Whoa, Tiger. Did you check your Corsi stats before making such a claim? Judging players by actually observing their play isn't valid analysis, you know.
I know that's a shot at Freudian, but I'm sure he'd tell you advanced stats aren't the only way to judge a player. Just an extra tool to use in context of all factors.

Old
04-27-2013, 04:21 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Did not have a big problem with Hejda this year. He actually plays a solid game when he's not trying to do his best Bobby Orr impression. That was one reason the initial pairing with EJ last season was such a disaster.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

So Sacco is done, I wonder if Sherman will be next. But they probably would've announced it at the same time if they were getting rid of him too.

Stars wasted no time dumping Joe Nieuwendyk for Jim Nill. I doubt the Avs would look outside the organization so it's a moot point but Nill could have been a great hire.

Old
04-28-2013, 12:48 PM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
So Sacco is done, I wonder if Sherman will be next. But they probably would've announced it at the same time if they were getting rid of him too.

Stars wasted no time dumping Joe Nieuwendyk for Jim Nill. I doubt the Avs would look outside the organization so it's a moot point but Nill could have been a great hire.
Not a chance Sherman is canned. There's NO reason to let him fire the coach, wait a few hours/days and then fire him. If there was going to be some spring cleaning, it would have all been announced in one fell swoop.

Old
04-28-2013, 01:08 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Sherman has done good! But you usually have your rebuild GM and then the new guy... But. I really hope Sherman gets his chance.

Just firing Sacco should make some of you like him better.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:32 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post

This is the conclusion I've come to as well, which is disappointing.

As bad as Joe Sacco was as a coach, he could only coach what he had. And what he had wasn't great.

Old
04-28-2013, 02:34 PM
Colorado Sports Fan

Yeah, no way they ax Sherman. At worst I think he gets moved into a co/GM role with more administrative duties (contract negotiating, etc..) while either Sakic or Roy come aboard in the "Elway" role (scouting, recruiting, etc)

Old
04-28-2013, 05:01 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Avs are in much better shape now than when Sherman took the job, despite the results this year. Granted, three lottery certainly helps and isn't something that helps his case as GM.

I do think it's playoffs or the road for Sherman next year, much like it was for Sacco this year.

Old
04-28-2013, 05:03 PM
Huis Clos*
Creamy Hamstrings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
Avs are in much better shape now than when Sherman took the job, despite the results this year. Granted, three lottery certainly helps and isn't something that helps his case as GM.

I do think it's playoffs or the road for Sherman next year, much like it was for Sacco this year.
It has to be. Not even Tambellini survived those type of results.

Old
04-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

Seriously though, I agree with you. He very quietly plays a solid game. And for the second year in a row, he's playing his best hockey at the end of the season. I wonder whether age will catch up with him before the young developing members of the team do. :-)
Speaking of playing their best at the end of the year, this is the 3rd bottom dwelling season where Cody McLeod has really stood out among the rest and played outstanding hockey at the end when there is nothing to play for. In the first year of a multi year deal he was just rewarded with to boot.

This kid just oozes character and passion to win. I hope he becomes a career Avalanche.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

The real question is, aside from the lottery picks, are the Avs really better off than they would have been otherwise? Tough question to answer, but aside from Parenteau, I don't think Sherman's trades/signings have significantly improved the team. I wouldn't mind in the least if they dumped him.

Old
04-28-2013, 10:04 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Speaking of playing their best at the end of the year, this is the 3rd bottom dwelling season where Cody McLeod has really stood out among the rest and played outstanding hockey at the end when there is nothing to play for. In the first year of a multi year deal he was just rewarded with to boot.

This kid just oozes character and passion to win. I hope he becomes a career Avalanche.
Meh. Yeah, McLeod played well late this season, but he got me once before a few years back - was it 15 goals? Whatever. He's a depth player, but provides exactly the same game every night, which is nice. But he's a depth player for life IMO, therefore not terribly significant in the grand scheme of things.

Cody on the PK and 2nd line isn't good. Cody on the 4th line doing his (positive) predictable thing, is good.

Old
04-29-2013, 07:29 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 5m
Greg Sherman has no contract next year. #NHL

Bruce Garrioch ‏@SunGarrioch 1m
Sounds like if Sherman isn't the GM next year he will be retained some capacity. #NHL

Edit:

Mike Chambers ‏@MChambersDP 8m
#Avs represented at draft lottery by Rick Pracey, dir. of scouting. GM Greg Sherman remained in Denver to focus on new coach, team says

Last edited by RobinDIF: 04-29-2013 at 08:04 PM.
Old
04-29-2013, 09:48 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

One benefit to a clean sweep is that whatever bad blood there is between O'Reilly and the front office may be left behind.

Wouldn't surprise me to see Sherman stay as a business/contract/CBA kind of assistant GM and get a more hockey focused GM.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:06 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

On the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast that talk about a potential full clean house at the front office.

They think both Pierre and Sherman is gone "after speaking with a few people"

Old
04-29-2013, 10:18 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
On the Marek vs. Wyshynski podcast that talk about a potential full clean house at the front office.

I doubt Wyshynski has any sources but the more talk about Lacroix getting fired the better.

Old
04-29-2013, 10:22 PM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post

Marek did predict Eric Lacroix would be the next GM a few weeks ago.

I'm not sure any outsider knows how this game of musical chairs end.

Closed Thread