HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#42| New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | January 10th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-2

Old
01-09-2015, 11:21 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
#42| New York Islanders @ Columbus Blue Jackets | January 10th | 7:00 PM | F/W 5-2

Preview

All time series record: The Blue Jackets lead 12-5-1 with a 3.4 GFPGA While the Islanders are averaging 2.4 GFPGA. Islanders all time @ Columbus are 1-8-1 with a 2.0 GFPGA the
Blue Jackets are averaging 3.9 GFPGA at home in the series.

The New York Islanders have tied their franchise record for wins at the midway point of a season, and they can thank John Tavares.

The Islanders will look to their captain again Saturday night when they continue a seven-game road trip against the Columbus Blue Jackets.

No longer one of the NHL's struggling franchises, the Islanders (27-13-1) have matched their win total from 1978-79, and that's precisely why they're atop the Metropolitan Division by one point over Pittsburgh.

Tavares has been a big part of that revitalization, leading New York with 19 goals and 39 points, but he's been particularly important of late.

The star center did all of the Islanders' scoring in a 2-1 win at Calgary on Jan. 2 before failing to score in the next two games -- both losses.

Tavares bounced back in a big way Friday at New Jersey, scoring the tying goal with 6:13 left in regulation before tallying again in overtime in a 3-2 win.

That kept New York from matching a season high with its third straight loss.

"We're a different team than we've been in the last few years," coach Jack Capuano said. "This was different. I could feel that we were coming back. I could feel that we were generating the play. It was just a matter of time. Fortunately, it was overtime. John made a great play, made a great shot and that was it. That's what he does. He's a great player."

Friday was Tavares' first three-point game since the Oct. 10 season opener. He has six goals in the last seven games and the rest of the team has scored 17 in that span.

Tavares has five points in six career meetings with Columbus (18-18-3), but he's only scored one goal and none in three road matchups.

Most of the Islanders have struggled at Nationwide Arena. They are 1-7-1 with a tie there and have been outscored 16-5 during a three-game skid in Columbus.

Jaroslav Halak improved to 8-2-0 with a 2.07 goals-against average in his last 10 starts with a 21-save effort Friday. However, he could cede the net to Chad Johnson, who hasn't played since Dec. 23 and is 0-3-0 with a 4.05 GAA in his past three starts.

The Blue Jackets are looking for a better start after giving up four straight goals -- two on power plays -- in the opening period of a 5-2 loss at Toronto on Friday, settling for a split of a four-game road trip.

"They were bad penalties," coach Todd Richards said of Columbus' four first-period penalties -- one for too many men. "We lost too many battles on the walls, in the corners ... You aren't giving yourself a chance to win."

Opening a three-game homestand could be just what the Jackets need to bounce back. They're 6-1-1 in their last eight games there, winning the last two while scoring nine goals.

Ryan Johansen opened the season by setting a single-season career high with a point in 10 straight games, and he's on the brink of matching it.

The center has tallied six times during a five-game goal streak, the longest by a Blue Jacket since Rick Nash's six-game run in November 2010.

Johansen has one goal and three assists in his past three meetings with the Islanders.

Nick Foligno has put together his own streak, compiling nine points with at least one in six consecutive games.

Sergei Bobrovsky is 10-2-0 with a 1.83 GAA lifetime against the Islanders, though Richards could start Curtis McElhinney on the second of this back-to-back.

Useful links
http://www2.dailyfaceoff.com/

http://www.tsn.ca/

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/hockey/islanders/

http://www.nypost.com/sports/islanders/islanders.htm

https://twitter.com/StapeNewsday

http://islanders.nhl.com/

Last edited by Killerlnstinct: 01-10-2015 at 12:30 AM.
Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-09-2015, 11:22 PM
Killerlnstinct
Infector Of Souls

Send a message via MSN to Killerlnstinct
1-8-1 @ Columbus, not..to..good. I will update what needs to be updated tomorrow.

Killerlnstinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 07:49 AM
JZCislesHockey

I really hope they rest Jaro...then again Johnson against a solid CBus team is an auto lose...

JZCislesHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 07:55 AM
Strummergas
Regular User

Second night of a back to back for both teams. Isles playing like **** and Johnson likely to be in net. Their record in Columbus is ******* as well.

I rarely make predictions, and don't mean to sound like Nyifan12, but I think they drop this game tonight. Please let me be wrong!

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 08:57 AM
BillD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
Second night of a back to back for both teams. Isles playing like **** and Johnson likely to be in net. Their record in Columbus is ******* as well.

I rarely make predictions, and don't mean to sound like Nyifan12, but I think they drop this game tonight. Please let me be wrong!
Both teams on the second half of a back-to-back.
Maybe we can grab a point, I will be ok with that. Of course I want 2 but in this format, 1 is a push.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 09:12 AM
2ndGenIslander
Ho Sang Clan

I think viewing that bad record in Columbus as a valuable stat is rediculous. We were a much worse team in all of those other games

2ndGenIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 09:30 AM
GilliesGirlie

I hate to say it but I really want Chad in the nets tonight.

GilliesGirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 09:36 AM
Islesin93*

there is no way Halak is starting, Capuano would have to be beyond an idiot, Halak needs some real rest

and yea, this feels like a loss regardless of who is starting, I feel bad for Johnson as he is thrown into some tough games but maybe he will only let in a couple of goals so it wont seem that bad

Islesin93* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 09:38 AM
Strummergas
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
He simply MUST play tonight. If you don't rest Halak in a situation like this, then when DO you rest him?

Strummergas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 09:52 AM
eoin92

This is a must win. Rags are only 5pts back. A loss tonight with a rags win means they'll only be three back with three gamers in hand.

eoin92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 10:01 AM
FirewagonChange

Columbus is extremely top heavy. If we shut down their top 3 we'll be OK.

Isles win 3-1

FirewagonChange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 10:37 AM
A Pointed Stick
This Is Fine

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by eoin92 View Post
This is a must win. Rags are only 5pts back. A loss tonight with a rags win means they'll only be three back with three gamers in hand.
Eoin - Don't get sucked into the trap about must wins in the middle of the season. If they were on an epic slide maybe, but they aren't. They can go .500 from here out and probably make it into the playoffs so breathe easy. Right now they need to find out how some players/combinations play in preparation for the playoffs. A loss here or there while helping the greater good of evaluation is ok. It is also a back to back so the odds are against them winning simply on paper. Consider it a test. If they can win, that's something that raises the bar on how good they are. So look at the bright side regardless of the outcome. IMO, there's no potential bad side to the game barring an injury or suspension.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Ho Sang Clan
Casey Zeeky

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilliesGirlie View Post
I've wanted him in net the past couple of games. I feel like we've been overworking Jaro. Johnson HAS to get some work in.

Ho Sang Clan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 10:48 AM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
Eoin - Don't get sucked into the trap about must wins in the middle of the season. If they were on an epic slide maybe, but they aren't. They can go .500 from here out and probably make it into the playoffs so breathe easy. Right now they need to find out how some players/combinations play in preparation for the playoffs. A loss here or there while helping the greater good of evaluation is ok. It is also a back to back so the odds are against them winning simply on paper. Consider it a test. If they can win, that's something that raises the bar on how good they are. So look at the bright side regardless of the outcome. IMO, there's no potential bad side to the game barring an injury or suspension.
Also scoreboard watching this early in the season will make a person go mad. I try my hardest to ignore it. Stresses me out. Could all mean nothing at game 82.

Teams on the bubble with two weeks left, that's when being a nervous wreck is justified. Not worth it right now.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:06 AM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndGenIslander View Post
I think viewing that bad record in Columbus as a valuable stat is rediculous. We were a much worse team in all of those other games
So were they.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:16 AM
13th Floor

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:20 AM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Okay...at least Jaro is resting, hope Grabovski is okay.

Old
01-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Disgraced Cosmonaut

Quote:
As he should be. I'm hopeful.

Disgraced Cosmonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:26 AM
EspenK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirewagonChange View Post
Columbus is extremely top heavy. If we shut down their top 3 we'll be OK.

Isles win 3-1
You understand the Jackets all too well.

In last year's run to the playoffs we benefitted a lot by facing backups.
Hope to see the trend continue.

You guys have definitely turned the corner. Should be a good one.

EspenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:33 AM
KnishOfTheCrease
Isles/GoldenKnights

We're going to win. This is Johnsons breakout GAME...with a G. Hopefully he had his share of fat women on the road trip to bust his slump

Isles 9
Jackets 1

Last edited by KnishOfTheCrease: 01-10-2015 at 11:45 AM.
KnishOfTheCrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:40 AM
JZCislesHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knish Of The Crease View Post
We're going to win. This is Johnsons breakout came. Hopefully he had his share of fat women on the road trip to bust his slump

Isles 9
Jackets 1
His share of fat women being why game was misspelled as came?

Old
01-10-2015, 11:45 AM
KnishOfTheCrease
Isles/GoldenKnights

Wow, I didn't even notice . I'll go ahead and edit that one.

KnishOfTheCrease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 11:45 AM
19 in a row

Quote:
All of this is what we should have expected (so nothing crazy by capuano is good).. Hope Grabo is ok and this is a short term thing.

Hopefully Strait can up his game to serviceable, otherwise I think we may have to call up Griff at some point..

Feeling (wishing) that Johnson turns a corner this game. I don't have overly high expectations but still think he is better than he has shown..

19 in a row is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 12:39 PM
Tavartrick
MakeIslesGreatAgain

Would love nothing more than for CJ to show us that he's a NHL caliber goaltender tonight. However, if the team comes out dead tonight I hope that CJ doesn't become the scapegoat.

Tavartrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-10-2015, 01:08 PM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
What about blowing a 4 goal lead?

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote