HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

#27 | New York Islanders vs. Tampa Bay Lightning | Mar 14 | 7:30 PM | W 2-0

Old
03-15-2013, 05:18 AM
crashthenet

vCash: 500
Best defensive game of the year. Boyes is under-valued here.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:35 AM
Pnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashthenet View Post
Right, Boyes is in better position always in the offensive zone. I was a fan of PAP (Smear) but he would sometimes bump into Moulson and JT (behind the net, up along the boards). That would make it easier for the opposition to clear the puck, because it would pop out and PAP was still stuck along the boards. Boyes at least does not do that. Bad Boyes needs to shoot the puck and with authority. Someone needs to yell at him and tell him to SHOOT. Say "Watcha gunna do? When the puck comes to you?" He had 4 SOG last night, more than anyone else. He needs to do that more. Earth to him and Okposo.

Nabby had his best game last night, IMHO.
So did Reasoner (forgetting his wanna-be Forsberg-Tavares move). He had a couple of clearing passes and got a few pucks out of harms way. If he played like that consistently I would keep him. IF...

Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:12 AM
stranger34

Worried about the next two games, they need to win them and without grabner and possibly ullstrom I'm not sure we can. Minus both of them we are a pretty slow squad

stranger34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:32 AM
Islanderfan17

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
Worried about the next two games, they need to win them and without grabner and possibly ullstrom I'm not sure we can. Minus both of them we are a pretty slow squad
We should have a good chance of winning in Florida, they have been pretty bad this season and have some key injuries if I'm not mistaken.

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:08 AM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
On a serious note how the F can the Rangers not be better then this? Nash,Gaborik,Richards,Staal, and Callahan and they still can't win. They are truly a mind boggling team.
Just change the names around and we've been saying the same thing for the past 15 years. They're a nice collection of players on paper, but never a great team.

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:16 AM
Chardo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islanderfan17 View Post
We should have a good chance of winning in Florida, they have been pretty bad this season and have some key injuries if I'm not mistaken.

Florida is last in the NHL in points, last in penalty kill, last in goals allowed, and last in goal differential and +/-, all by a wide margin. They have allowed 38 goals more than they have scored. No other team is worse than -15. They are, quite easily, the worst team in the league.

Plain and simple, there is no excuse for anything less than a convincing win against this team.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:21 AM
redbull
Expect more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnut View Post
Right, Boyes is in better position always in the offensive zone. I was a fan of PAP (Smear) but he would sometimes bump into Moulson and JT (behind the net, up along the boards). That would make it easier for the opposition to clear the puck, because it would pop out and PAP was still stuck along the boards. Boyes at least does not do that. Bad Boyes needs to shoot the puck and with authority. Someone needs to yell at him and tell him to SHOOT. Say "Watcha gunna do? When the puck comes to you?" He had 4 SOG last night, more than anyone else. He needs to do that more. Earth to him and Okposo.
Parenteau played much better his second year with the Isles than his first - much much better. He really improved last year and made believers of a lot of us "naysayers". He's continued to play well offensively in COL. The turnovers dropped dramatically and he always skated hard on both sides of the puck, he even tried finishes checks and would take a hit to make a play.

Boyes is pillow-soft and he is Matt Martin compared to Moulson. But both those guys played well yesterday.

I would keep Boyes. He's a very talented offensive player and maybe another coach can get him to WANT TO compete more, that would make him a much better player. But I don't think it's that easy. He and Moulson should never be on the ice together 5on5, they render Tavares nearly useless out there. That should be a HUGE concern to Cappy and Snow.

But they don't seem to see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger34 View Post
This team lives and dies with the PP.

They miss Grabs because he creates his own chances and plays pretty well defensively, using his speed and anticipation to break-up plays and get to loose pucks. Can't replace him.

Ullstrom they can live without. He's been a healthy scratch and although I (and many of us on the board) like his size/speed/forecheck/backcheck in the lineup, Cappy doesn't seem to care.

I hope to see Joensuu.

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:41 AM
goal1228

Just an observation - It seems like everyone that plays on the Cizikas line has a good game. The kid is a keeper.

Last edited by goal1228: 03-15-2013 at 10:59 AM.
goal1228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:49 AM
Knish Of The Crease

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Florida is last in the NHL in points, last in penalty kill, last in goals allowed, and last in goal differential and +/-, all by a wide margin. They have allowed 38 goals more than they have scored. No other team is worse than -15. They are, quite easily, the worst team in the league.

Plain and simple, there is no excuse for anything less than a convincing win against this team.
So you're saying we'll lose 4-1

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:55 AM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Was at the game last night, TB arena is beautiful. The refurb didn't even cost them that much and it looks great. Imagine what Wang could of done if Nassau let him. (Topic for another thread)

I loved Cizikas, it seemed like he was out the whole game. Okposo is even worse in person then he is on TV. I mean wow he skates in circles and makes weak attempts and then sits back down. He is terrible!!!

Great win, great crowd and loved the Islander fan presence as well. Though I won't take anything away from the Bolts fans. They outnumbered us obviously and the game was a sellout. Great to see the team doing well down in Florida.

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:01 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Not really, he's a turnover machine. He's awful at passing.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:27 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
How do you miss Hamonic? Imo he was the best player for the Isles tonight, not really close either.
I didn't list everybody. I was kind of tired when I was typing last night.

03-15-2013, 12:32 PM
cjdv16

Was Hamonic on crack after the game?

"That's the closest to a full-60 [minute] game we've played in a long time, maybe this year," said Hamonic, who led the Isles with 24:04 of ice time. "With the exception of a couple shifts, we kept coming at them in the third. That was important."

I thought that 3rd period was putrid. Isles sat back and by rights should have blown that lead.

They kick the crap out of teams for 40 mins (that game should have been 4-0 or more if not for lindback) and then go back to being scrubs for 20 mins.

They got lucky.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
cjdv16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMartin View Post
Side not PA just scored his 11th and 12th tonight. Not knocking Boyes but wish we retained him.
Saw that too.

Now if Snow actually was able to spend on this team, we could have (rightfully) retained PA and added Boyes to the 2nd line, where he is more of a fit.

But no.... gotta always give to get with this team.

cjdv16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:12 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Agreed, he had a good game.

He does have trouble bolding the puck and carrying in into the o-zone, but.....he's been improving. Maybe he needed time to get game legs. He still has work to do. As someone said above, though.....he looks like a good signing the day after they resign PAP.

But we're all Islanders, orange, blue & YOU. A New Ice Age. Print a few more of these seasonal tripe up and you have toilet paper. Just like a team builds on last year, rather than replaces a good gamble with another crap shoot.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:30 PM
19NYSports91

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

"That's the closest to a full-60 [minute] game we've played in a long time, maybe this year," said Hamonic, who led the Isles with 24:04 of ice time. "With the exception of a couple shifts, we kept coming at them in the third. That was important."

I thought that 3rd period was putrid. Isles sat back and by rights should have blown that lead.

They kick the crap out of teams for 40 mins (that game should have been 4-0 or more if not for lindback) and then go back to being scrubs for 20 mins.

They got lucky.
Are you on crack? Isles were definitely the better the team yesterday, not even debatable. How can they get lucky with a shutout and only giving up 18 shots?

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19NYSports91 View Post
Are you on crack? Isles were definitely the better the team yesterday, not even debatable. How can they get lucky with a shutout and only giving up 18 shots?
I was at the game, the 3rd period was terrible. We won but regardless the team slept in the 3rd

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Spend? Of Course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjdv16 View Post

They got lucky.
I knew I wasn't the only one thinking, "Here we go again," in the third. They did get lucky that Tampa never really got into the game.

When the other team doesn't show up and yours does it deludes folks into thinking things were better than they were. The club did play better, and may have been their best effort across 60, but anyone taking this game as a sign they are making a strong bid for the playoffs are in for a let down considering the below average effort Tampa put into their 60 minutes.

I do hope they are lucky for the remainder of the season. It beats the alternative.

Last edited by A Pointed Stick: 03-15-2013 at 11:46 PM.
A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
CaptDenisPotvin

Happy with the way the guys played last night and Nabby was outstanding in the 3rd period. That being said it was obvious to me we have NOBODY that is explosive in the lineup when Grabner is out. Very slow lineup, hopefully he isn't out to much longer

CaptDenisPotvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:24 AM
steveat

Isles FIRST shutout in Tampa was '98 (Salo).

The last shutout in Tampa was 2008

well, now it's Thursday 8-)

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote