HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The West is Just.... Wow

Old
03-14-2013, 12:49 AM
Wingsfan2965*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWatch View Post
What about the 15 point difference between 3rd and 1st!? I mean come on you cant call this a tight conference at all.
:Facepalm:

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:50 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckJet View Post
Anaheim gotten at least two points from the following teams:

Chicago
Los Angeles
Vancouver
San Jose
St. Louis
Detroit

In what way exactly are we preying on the weak? Have you looked at the standings? There are no easy games/teams in the west...although Vancouver and Nashville gave us a couple of really easy ones this year.
And you guys were too kind in returning the favour

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:52 AM
Steve Bennett*

The current top three teams (in no particular order - The Vancouver Canucks, ch,anh) are beginning to run away with it and probably will. 4-8 is still up in the air and up for grabs. I think st, der, na, ph and dls will sneak in...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
With how dominant Chicago and Anaheim have been, thats probably a sign that the West IS weaker than the East. They're are two really solid teams who have beat up on the mediocrity abound in the West.
Except Anaheim and Chicago have had a good amount of games go into overtime, which implies they aren't dominating.

The West has a lot of parity. That's all it is. It's why there are so many OT games.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Wheatley
We Rabite You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
The current top three teams (in no particular order - The Vancouver Canucks, ch,anh) are beginning to run away with it and probably will. 4-8 is still up in the air and up for grabs. I think st, der, na, ph and dls will sneak in...
The Canucks are 2 points out of 10th place

Wheatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:09 AM
Timmy

Quote:
Chicago and Anaheim, yes.

Vancouver, no.

Timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:18 AM
AKL
#AnyoneButThem

This isn't new. Every year this happens.

AKL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:30 AM
Seth Rollins
Mr Money In The Bank

Quote:
This post is bad and you should feel bad. The Canucks aren't at the top of anything.

Seth Rollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:33 AM
Mouse21*

I for one hate league parity. Hate these tight races.

Mouse21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:48 AM
Gnova
Jets Flying Squad

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by detredWINgs View Post
With how dominant Chicago and Anaheim have been, thats probably a sign that the West IS weaker than the East. They're are two really solid teams who have beat up on the mediocrity abound in the West.
I look at the top of the east and see the Habs and think the east must be pretty weak.

Gnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:49 AM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

East conference = NBA = perdictable, soft
West conference = NFL = parity, excitment every game, tough

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:51 AM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
Yet it has lead to record revenues and growth for the league.
There's nothing bad about.

tsanuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:54 AM
EmeticDonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
Don't get this sentiment at all. Why would you want a situation where there are no surprises and the games mean nothing with the favourites winning all the time? Sounds boring as hell.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:55 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Bee View Post
Eastern Conference:
158 games decided in regulation
19 decided in overtime
20 decided in the shootout

Western Conference
134 games decided in regulation
24 decided in overtime
34 decided in the shootout

Last time the race was this tight overall? 1994-95, duh.
Hah. Nice.

I think it's safe to say the West is better overall. But the top teams in each conference are not all that far off.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:17 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Dude, I know you like your team, which is cool, but they're not Chicago or Anaheim.

Those are the only two teams that have a safe lead for the playoffs. It's going to be a dogfight with the rest of them.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:21 AM
TheAngryHank
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeticDonut View Post
Don't get this sentiment at all. Why would you want a situation where there are no surprises and the games mean nothing with the favourites winning all the time? Sounds boring as hell.
Depends how you look at it. In 96 Detroit won 62 games , 62 in a league where there was no shootouts. It's interesting to see how other teams are built to combat that type of dominance. As a wings fan it was great but they did get upset more than once when they were a force by the Avs / Dallas / Ducks / Sharks . The lion gave the gazelle it's speed not the other way around. Having even teams is boring compared to watching Samson and Goliath.As it is now unless you luck/suck/tank in to talent you will spin your wheels. The best option to win a Cup is ride a hot goalie. Just ask fans of SJ or ANA how nuts they went when they upset Detroit,there is nothing like taking down the bully on the block. Believe it or not stacked teams make the teams around them better. There is no incentive for teams to get great these days , they can wallow mid-pack and make the same cash. Nashville V Calgary might be good in local markets for a SCF but is that what people really want to see? I would rather see Wings / Avs V Philly /Devils in the finals sirca 90's.. Best of the best. In my opinion the cap is killing hockey.

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:21 AM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Haha people are taking Steve Bennett seriously

He is the biggest "homer " on the site that just wants a rise out of people ahaha

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:26 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAngryHank View Post
Depends how you look at it. In 96 Detroit won 62 games , 62 in a league where there was no shootouts. It's interesting to see how other teams are built to combat that type of dominance. As a wings fan it was great but they did get upset more than once when they were a force by the Avs / Dallas / Ducks / Sharks . The lion gave the gazelle it's speed not the other way around. Having even teams is boring compared to watching Samson and Goliath.As it is now unless you luck/suck/tank in to talent you will spin your wheels. The best option to win a Cup is ride a hot goalie. Just ask fans of SJ or ANA how nuts they went when they upset Detroit,there is nothing like taking down the bully on the block. Believe it or not stacked teams make the teams around them better. There is no incentive for teams to get great these days , they can wallow mid-pack and make the same cash. Nashville V Calgary might be good in local markets for a SCF but is that what people really want to see? I would rather see Wings / Avs V Philly /Devils in the finals sirca 90's.. Best of the best. In my opinion the cap is killing hockey.
I like it more now than ever before.

You have your opinion, but that's all it is.

In a gate driven league, parity will find new levels of pverall success than having a few Goliaths. Besides, the games are entertaining as hell much of the time. Each team battling because they believe they can win. I'll take that.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:49 AM
TheAngryHank
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
I like it more now than ever before.

You have your opinion, but that's all it is.

In a gate driven league, parity will find new levels of pverall success than having a few Goliaths. Besides, the games are entertaining as hell much of the time. Each team battling because they believe they can win. I'll take that.
Part of my point is an owner just can't commit. Their hands are tied. Win at all costs are out the window. Detroit and the Avs did it and had success while the Rangers tried and failed , both fun to watch.The trade deadline is a bore compared to days past. Example Pitt / Chicago , all their success they have was a product of sucking. Boston / LA/ Pitt / Chicago were cellar dwellers 5-6 years ago.
Are you trying to tell me teams didn't get up when the Avs came to town back when? When Detroit came to town the home team didn't sell out?

I'll make it simple , If the league is better/healthy now than before ,why is the NHL not on ESPN anymore. The NHL would run early and late games on ESPN and ESPN2 in the playoffs in America. I get why some people might like it better , but is it really?

TheAngryHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:11 AM
bullocks

East is weak. Conference is as soft as a cupcake. Cant wait til' the Wings are in the Central next year.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:19 AM
Bengui

I like how every statistic that could mean the west is good or that it's bad is automatically assumed to be meaning it's good

Bengui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:21 AM
XX
... Waiting

Every team is a threat to win. Even the weak ones, like Calgary, Edmonton and Columbus, are playing spoilers right now. I am enjoying it, although each regulation loss feels 10x worse than last season, considering the implications.

XX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:53 AM
a flat hamster

I was thinking the other day how grateful I am that I don't have to be stressed out about the standings every night.

a flat hamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:00 AM
mkoivu9*

vCash: 2710
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF007 View Post
East conference = NBA = perdictable, soft
West conference = NFL = parity, excitment every game, tough
Sounds about right.

mkoivu9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:30 AM
McFist
Bryan can beat it

I wonder if this will be the year when a division leader makes the playoffs without being among the top 8. It's always a bigger threat in the East, but the West is so outrageously tight that you never know. Wouldn't take much for all of the Northwest to fall out of it.

And even in the East, Carolina is only 3 points above the 8th/9th place teams.

McFist is offline   Reply With Quote