HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The West is Just.... Wow

Old
03-14-2013, 08:15 AM
Getz2perry

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
And you guys were too kind in returning the favour

We embarrass you on your home opener and then you embarrass us on our home opener. Fair is fair

Getz2perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullocks View Post
East is weak. Conference is as soft as a cupcake. Cant wait til' the Wings are in the Central next year.
And you base this on your very limited opinion I guess? Let's have something to base our opinion on. How about some NHL stats?

Number of total hits*, avg:
Eastern Conference: 636 (Median: 620)
Western Conference: 564 (Median: 549)
*There was no avg hits/ game and I certainly don't feel like creating that myself.

Number of penalties, avg/ game:
Eastern Conference: 13 (Median: 12,2)
Western Conference: 12 (Median: 11,7)

Number of major penalties, avg/ team:
Eastern Conference: 15 (Median: 13)
Western Conference: 13 (Median: 13)

That the Eastern Conference is "soft as tissue" compared the good ol' hard west is baseless at least when it comes to stats. In fact, these stats say there is a slight advantage to the notion that the east is more gritty than the west. How about that?

If you believe the tough as nails Wings (second least hitting team in the league) will arrive to the promised land and will reap eastern conference titles just because the East is weak, you're sorely mistaken.

Last edited by Chimp: 03-14-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Gustavo Fring

All the stats are great but the eye test is best. If possible spend a few days watching the West play. The hockey is just better.

The D is better, the physical play is better, the flow of the games, the goaltending, etc.

Obviously anything can happen, but outside of Boston (who can out physical any team) I don't see an Eastern team that is comparable to the best in the West.

Gustavo Fring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 08:47 AM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC24 View Post
All the stats are great but the eye test is best. If possible spend a few days watching the West play. The hockey is just better.

The D is better, the physical play is better, the flow of the games, the goaltending, etc.

Obviously anything can happen, but outside of Boston (who can out physical any team) I don't see an Eastern team that is comparable to the best in the West.
The west is so boooooooring. I find myself only watching Eastern games if my team isn't playing. Doesn't even matter who is playing, it's just more interesting.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:02 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
The trade deadline is going to be interesting if this continues.
I feel like a seller can really fleece one of the many buyers this time around

LPH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:16 AM
sid49
#FreeGaza

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
The west is so boooooooring. I find myself only watching Eastern games if my team isn't playing. Doesn't even matter who is playing, it's just more interesting.
This. Other then the Hawks i find every team in the west boring. East is so much faster and have a **** defence mentality. I do think the west is harder though, the defence is just spot on. Little guys just dont score in the west like they do in the east. Like the Oilers suck on most nights against bigger teams, put us in the east and theyd most likely be in a playoff spot.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:22 AM
SnapVirus

East is more opened and fun to watch. We have more hits and speed. I always fell asleep when I watch the West. Except for the blachawks, duck and the sucky oilers, cauze they play more like the eastern teams.

SnapVirus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:24 AM
hadrian

Quote:

Inferiority complex.

hadrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:38 AM
radapex

Quote:

They actually opened up the Marek vs Wyshynski podcast talking about the East yesterday, and the conclusion they came to is "there's Boston and Pittsburgh, then the rest" which is hard to argue.

radapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:43 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshark91 View Post
The trade deadline is going to be interesting if this continues.
This, of all years, is the year where sellers can get crazy high returns because there are so many teams in the hunt.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:44 AM
Nordique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooman View Post
Over halfway through the shortened season. And 6 points between 3rd and 15th. I'm convinced all 13 of those teams have bipolar fanbases who are convinced that THEY are sucking especially bad this year.

lol

Has there even been a race this tight at the midway point?
CBJ fans after going 4-0-1 in their last five don't know whether to cheer for a possible playoff run, or cry as odds on McKinnon decrease.

Nordique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:58 AM
Ragamuffin Gunner
Lost in The Flood

Quote:
Originally Posted by roboninja View Post
Exactly. Who really cares about which conference is "better"? I see no need to even argue it.
Because it makes West fans feel better about themselves. If they don't win it's because they were banged up after such a tough road to the finals. That and the inferiority complex they have due to the coverage the East gets.

Ragamuffin Gunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:11 AM
19NYSports91

I have no interest in watching the west teams for some reason.

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
MuchoMacho

wow, I can't believe so many people think that the west is better. that's nuts. Aside from people pointing out that parity does not equal quality (for OBVIOUS reasons), the other guy who replied to this thread saying that the east is either tougher or equal to the west in all "toughness" aspects of the game (hits/fights/blocked shots)... another huge factor would be the highest scoring player from the west is #7.... there's only 10 players from the top 30 who are from the west. There's only TWO in the top 15. Look at this:

Sidney Crosby
Steven Stamkos
Chris Kunitz
Martin St Louis
Jakub Voracek
Eric Staal
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrick Kane

Thomas Vanek
James Neal
John Tavares
Mike Ribeiro
Matt Moulson
Patrik Elias
Alexander Semin
Henrik Zetterberg
Kris Letang
Matt Duchene
Claude Giroux
Pavel Datsyuk
Andrew Ladd
Nazem Kadri
Sam Gagner
PA Parenteau

Phil Kessel
Joe Thornton
Ilya Kovalchuk
Corey Perry
Henrik Sedin

Evgeni Malkin

How anyone could make a case for the west being more interesting or better to watch is mind blowing to me.

MuchoMacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:20 AM
EmeticDonut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
Said by thousands of people for the last 2 decades.
But this time it's really going to happen, man! They will once again assume the nickname "Dead Things" for the next decade or two.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Patmac40
BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post
wow, I can't believe so many people think that the west is better. that's nuts. Aside from people pointing out that parity does not equal quality (for OBVIOUS reasons), the other guy who replied to this thread saying that the east is either tougher or equal to the west in all "toughness" aspects of the game (hits/fights/blocked shots)... another huge factor would be the highest scoring player from the west is #7.... there's only 10 players from the top 30 who are from the west. There's only TWO in the top 15. Look at this:

Sidney Crosby
Steven Stamkos
Chris Kunitz
Martin St Louis
Jakub Voracek
Eric Staal
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrick Kane

Thomas Vanek
James Neal
John Tavares
Mike Ribeiro
Matt Moulson
Patrik Elias
Alexander Semin
Henrik Zetterberg
Kris Letang
Matt Duchene
Claude Giroux
Pavel Datsyuk
Andrew Ladd
Nazem Kadri
Sam Gagner
PA Parenteau

Phil Kessel
Joe Thornton
Ilya Kovalchuk
Corey Perry
Henrik Sedin

Evgeni Malkin

How anyone could make a case for the west being more interesting or better to watch is mind blowing to me.
Obviously, it's just because the West's defense are out-of-this-world and nothing else.

Patmac40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Bowie
Rusholme Ruffians

Not really that much difference between conferences. Hockey is hockey and fans saying they find one side boring or it sucks need to check their priorities.

Bowie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:40 AM
unifiedtheory
Twitter: @ut_pez

The West is boring, really boring. The West has more teams that are simply unwatchable.

unifiedtheory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
Hound
Roll Tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeron View Post
Not really that much difference between conferences. Hockey is hockey and fans saying they find one side boring or it sucks need to check their priorities.
This.

Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
wondeROY

Soooo..since everyone, (and by everyone I mean anyone that is a fan for a western conf team) agrees that the WC is the better conference, and chicago is the best team in the west. And colorado beat chicago, does that mean colorado is the best team in the NHL!!??

Which leads me to my next question, who will colorado play in the stanley cup final? Washington?

wondeROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
Pavels Dog

The West this year is a trainwreck. I'm not a big fan of the mediocrity, sorry I meant parity.

The last 5-10 games are going to be crazy I bet. Lose a game, you're 10th, win 1 or 2, and suddenly you're 4th. It's too much.

Chicago and Anaheim are the only two that have risen up over the rest and can relax.

Pavels Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
SteveCangialosi123

If the west is so great than I'm glad my teams not in that conference. Sucks for you guys!

I hate when people argue that in any sport. Like the NL sucks the AL is so much better...who gives a ****? How do you know it's better? You do realize the east has the 3 best players in the world right?

SteveCangialosi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Chelios

Quote:
Originally Posted by BallHockeyLegend View Post

Sidney Crosby
Steven Stamkos
Chris Kunitz
Martin St Louis
Jakub Voracek
Eric Staal
Ryan Getzlaf
Patrick Kane

Thomas Vanek
James Neal
John Tavares
Mike Ribeiro
Matt Moulson
Patrik Elias
Alexander Semin
Henrik Zetterberg
Kris Letang
Matt Duchene
Claude Giroux
Pavel Datsyuk
Andrew Ladd
Nazem Kadri
Sam Gagner
PA Parenteau

Phil Kessel
Joe Thornton
Ilya Kovalchuk
Corey Perry
Henrik Sedin

Evgeni Malkin

It seems like the majority on here see the west as being tighter and more defensive, whereas the east is more wide open and offensive. Your post seems to support that.

As for your last line, it all depends on the person. Some people love watching high scoring end to end games, some like to watch close hard fought games. Neither is "better" than the other, they are just different.

As I have said several times over the last week (as this East vs West argument seems to be intensifying) there is literally no way to definitively say that one is better than the other this year. None. The west has been better, based on cumulative record vs the east, over the last number of years, but without the two conferences actually playing eachother there is no way to know this season who is better.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:09 AM
Burke the Legend

If the only 2 solid teams in the conference having gotten so far ahead of the pack it's showing how mediocre they all are. I mean look at 2 of the supposed other top WC teams there the canucks and sharks are falling apart, is someone seriously gonna claim this is anything but mediocrity?

Burke the Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Red08

I hope the Wings miss the playoff's this year to break their streak. When they move to the East, they will glide right into the playoffs every year... Nothing against the Habs (they're my second team), but when they're leading the Eastern Conference with that roster... Wings will tear the East up!

Red08 is offline   Reply With Quote