HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

The West is Just.... Wow

Old
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 500
You should come to the Avs board to see the true epitome of bi-polarness.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:11 PM
starling

With ANA and CHI domination, some Western teams fans are being so insecure, it makes me

starling is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:16 PM
Uberdachen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavels Dog View Post
Chicago and Anaheim are the only two that have risen up over the rest and can relax.
A sure recipe for postseason success.

Uberdachen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:20 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
And people try to say the east is better
The east is more defined in terms of haves and have nots. The west, outside a couple of teams is a sea of mediocrity. It's just...soo bland. No one can even tell the difference between a Nashville or Dallas or Phoenix or Minnesota or Calgary. They're all the same team and they all play the same way. Give me the east any day. Teams actually have identities and personalities, not to mention significantly more entertaining level of play.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

So the West has mediocre teams and the East doesn't ok got it.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:29 PM
eastonhockey22*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
It seems like the majority on here see the west as being tighter and more defensive, whereas the east is more wide open and offensive. Your post seems to support that.
The stats also support the idea that the east has more talented forwards depending on how you look at it. You could look at it as the phenomenal D in the west holding back the scoring totals of the forwards in the west or as the phenomenal forwards in the east make the D in the east look bad. Its really all subjective. Unfortunately the more opinionated posters will overlook that just so they can beat their chests and talk about how some league they have absolutely no influence on is better...which for some reason makes them feel better about themselves.

My opinion? I like hockey

eastonhockey22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:30 PM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliff View Post
The Red Wings are going to destroy the east next year.
Uh, no. They are a significantly weaker team than Boston and Pittsburgh.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Pavels Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
Uh, no. They are a significantly weaker team than Boston and Pittsburgh.
Detroit could, and should, be a much better team next year. They've got money to spend, old useless guys leaving and young promising players coming in. I definitely don't see them being "significantly weaker" than Pitt and Boston.

But of course they won't "destroy". I do see them matching up pretty well against many of the Eastern teams.

Pavels Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:37 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakawaka View Post
The stats also support the idea that the east has more talented forwards depending on how you look at it. You could look at it as the phenomenal D in the west holding back the scoring totals of the forwards in the west or as the phenomenal forwards in the east make the D in the east look bad. Its really all subjective. Unfortunately the more opinionated posters will overlook that just so they can beat their chests and talk about how some league they have absolutely no influence on is better...which for some reason makes them feel better about themselves.

My opinion? I like hockey
My opinion on this is the East just overall has more money they are willing to throw around.

Preds33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:39 PM
BlackWatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Don't you guys get it??? Beat the ducks and hawks a little more often, then we'll start taking this West better than East crap a little more serious. The hawks and ducks have so many points because they play against mediocre team. Not to say those 2 are not good I believe they could beat any eastern teams, but to say the whole conference is better than the east imo is wrong.

Last edited by BlackWatch: 03-14-2013 at 12:44 PM.
BlackWatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
No one can even tell the difference between a Nashville or Dallas or Phoenix or Minnesota or Calgary. They're all the same team and they all play the same way.
I didn't even know we had a "way" of playing (neither does our team).

I do know that all of those teams, outside of Minnesota, have embarrassed us this season so there's that.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:42 PM
Burke the Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red08 View Post
I hope the Wings miss the playoff's this year to break their streak. When they move to the East, they will glide right into the playoffs every year... Nothing against the Habs (they're my second team), but when they're leading the Eastern Conference with that roster... Wings will tear the East up!
let me guess, you predicted the rangers would walk away with the east?

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWatch View Post
Don't you guys get it??? Beat the ducks and hawks a little more often, then we'll start taking this West better than East crap a little more serious. The hawks and ducks have so many points because they play against mediocre teams. Not to say those 2 are not good I believe they could beat any eastern teams, but to say the whole conference is better than the east imo is wrong.
I didn't say the West was better than the East so I have no idea what you're rambling about. They are different. The East tends to play a little more wide open. Most games in the West are defensive grind it out type games. No conference is better or worse.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:54 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke the Legend View Post
let me guess, you predicted the rangers would walk away with the east?
Nobody ever went broke underestimating the performance of the New York Rangers.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:57 PM
Sorry

I guess western conference GM's don't understand that players in the east only have good stats because they play in a wide open pond hockey conference that's like the NBA on ice. If they were aware of that it would save them the embarrassment when signing guys like P.A. Parenteau who can't score at all against the mighty western defensive juggernauts.

Remember how awful Mike Ribeiro was in Dallas? Thank god he's back in the east where he can score opposed to having career worst seasons like he did out west. Maybe if he was tougher he could've competed with the real men.

Sorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
Burke the Legend

The east traded Ribeiro out west cuz of his lack of manliness.

Burke the Legend is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:05 PM
HF007
In Roy we Trust

Watch Columbus and Detroit easily secure a playoff spot in the east next year.

HF007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Dying Alive
Peanut Gallery

Reading through threads like this it's honestly hard to tell which conference's fans have the bigger inferiority complex.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:11 PM
Gary83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Reading through threads like this it's honestly hard to tell which conference's fans have the bigger inferiority complex.
Definitely the East. West have better fans.

Gary83* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:16 PM
Hatter
All about the Bob

I hate the extra point. Get rid of it already. Such complete ********.

Hatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Chelios

As I have said numerous times, it is literally impossible to tell which is the better conference this year since they do not play each other.

However, since it seems that many people on here insist on saying the east is better, please answer me the following questions:

1) What has changed significantly this season? The west has been consistently better than the east, based on cumulative record against eachother, since the last lockout. What has suddenly changed this year?

2) How is it that Chicago and Anaheim's records are somehow evidence that the West is inferior, and yet Montreal leading the East doesn't mean anything?

3) How is it that having a vast number of teams within spitting distance of a playoff spot automatically seen as mediocrity?

Unless someone can provide intelligent answers to the above questions, I really don't see how anyone can say definitively that one conference is better than the other this year.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:31 PM
Vic Vinegar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelios View Post
As I have said numerous times, it is literally impossible to tell which is the better conference this year since they do not play each other.

However, since it seems that many people on here insist on saying the east is better, please answer me the following questions:

1) What has changed significantly this season? The west has been consistently better than the east, based on cumulative record against eachother, since the last lockout. What has suddenly changed this year?

2) How is it that Chicago and Anaheim's records are somehow evidence that the West is inferior, and yet Montreal leading the East doesn't mean anything?

3) How is it that having a vast number of teams within spitting distance of a playoff spot automatically seen as mediocrity?

Unless someone can provide intelligent answers to the above questions, I really don't see how anyone can say definitively that one conference is better than the other this year.
And 4) what does the fact that an Ottawa team decimated by injuries is still in playoff position say about the East?

Vic Vinegar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:44 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
Yeah, West is ten times the conference than what East is. For all the Eastern fans, picture Boston and that is basically what every team in the West is. No doubt majority of them are not stronger than Boston (Bruins are a top 3-5 club), but are built the same way.

S E P H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 01:49 PM
PAZ

What's funny is that people will go to the ends of the earth arguing which conference is better, when they'll be gone in a few months anyways.

I bet this offseason we'll see "What conference was stronger the past x years"

PAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
PearJuice*

The West has more parity, and is overall better (although the very best teams in the East are just as good as the best teams in the West - the Cup could go either way this year).

The main difference between East and West is that more teams play a defensive style in the West, which obviously keeps scoring down (and helps to make the games and standings closer).

Another factor is that generally speaking, the goaltending is much better in the West. Almost half of the teams in the East suffer from below average NHL or even AHL quality goaltending. If Crosby played in the West, his production would automatically go down 15-20% (the same applies to Stamkos et al).

Edit to add: Before any Eastern fans get too upset, I prefer the firewagon hockey of the East over the stifling defense of the West.

PearJuice* is offline   Reply With Quote