HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Quebec City Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-14-2013, 09:26 AM
  #1
Major4Boarding
Moderator
Private Equity
 
Major4Boarding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: South of Heaven
Country: Scotland
Posts: 1,642
vCash: 500
Quebec City Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Previous Thread - Quebec City Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1275875

Most recent developments... PKP steps down from Quebecor as CEO

Major4Boarding is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 09:58 AM
  #2
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,652
vCash: 50
Kind of strange move by pkp. I doubt he's being forced out, as he is still in charge of the media group and tva. Seems more like he wanted to take on less responsibility, or he just bit the bullet in order to keep a very good executive from leaving.

danishh is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:42 AM
  #3
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D
 
Phil Parent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sorel-Tracy, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,577
vCash: 50
Doesn't affect the Nords though. PKP was buying a team, not Quebecor. If anything, he has more time for them now.

Phil Parent is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM
  #4
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Is the arena management deal/naming rights deal with PKP or Quebecor ?

GordonGraham is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:47 AM
  #5
JordanStaal#1Fan
Registered User
 
JordanStaal#1Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Asbestos, Qc
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,916
vCash: 1375
PKP probably wants to be the president of the team. This would explain that

No harm in being a dreamer, hey?

JordanStaal#1Fan is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 10:53 AM
  #6
JB52
Registered User
 
JB52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Both are with Quebecor

and I would think that if someone buy a team, it would be Quebecor too, not PKP personally. The whole point of having a team in Quebec is to have contents for Quebecor platforms.

JB52 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:05 AM
  #7
GordonGraham
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,727
vCash: 500
Hopefully the new guy is interessed in hockey, if not he might happy with just the arena +entertainment side of it

GordonGraham is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:26 AM
  #8
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,652
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonGraham View Post
Hopefully the new guy is interessed in hockey, if not he might happy with just the arena +entertainment side of it
PKP is still in charge of TVA, and that's the division that is driving this.

__________________
RIP Kev.
danishh is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:34 AM
  #9
Revo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
From the two complementary articles, it sounds like it was mostly to have more time with his family and to take care of philanthropic stuff. He has expressed concerns about the strength of entrepreneurship in the province several times, might have to do with that.

Both articles also mention «taking a step back» for «strategic» reasons.

He still is a controlling shareholder.

Revo is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 11:48 AM
  #10
powerstuck
User Registered
 
powerstuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,126
vCash: 500
Did he step down from Quebecor or Quebecor Media ?

Media is the biggest chunk of the business.

Also, this morning we got sad news. No Nordiques before 2016. The BOG approuval of the new divisions opens up all doors for Phoenix to Seattle move.

While testing Detroit and Blue Jackets in East might seem like temporary, it definitly closes (but does not locks) the doors for a relocation and/or expansion in the East.

powerstuck is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 12:21 PM
  #11
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman
 
Acesolid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Québec
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Did he step down from Quebecor or Quebecor Media ?

Media is the biggest chunk of the business.

Also, this morning we got sad news. No Nordiques before 2016. The BOG approuval of the new divisions opens up all doors for Phoenix to Seattle move.

While testing Detroit and Blue Jackets in East might seem like temporary, it definitly closes (but does not locks) the doors for a relocation and/or expansion in the East.

I disagree Powerstuck, we could play in the West for a while, like Winnipeg did in the East.

Like Daly said, it's a realignment for the current teams, not the ''maybes''.

Acesolid is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:01 PM
  #12
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 21,315
vCash: 1
I don't know.... this whole realignment process is making me have more and more questions about Quebec's chances with getting the Yotes versus Seattle, despite the fact that your arena process is significantly more advanced than theirs, the fact that you'd easily be able to sell out tickets at a much quicker tick than Seattle, and that a Seattle-based NHL team will have to compete with the new Sonics....

That, or the NHL is setting up Detroit for the ultimate trolljob before they get booted back West in a few years, which I'm hopeful is true!

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:38 PM
  #13
silvercanuck
Registered User
 
silvercanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,897
vCash: 500
It looks to me like the NHL wants to keep the Coyotes in PHX for as long as possible and have other cities line up with new arenas so they can hang the threat of relocation over other franchises if and when they act up. Either way it does not seem like a move to Quebec is imminent.

silvercanuck is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:47 PM
  #14
danishh
Dat Stache
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: mtl/ott/somewhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,652
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It looks to me like the NHL wants to keep the Coyotes in PHX for as long as possible and have other cities line up with new arenas so they can hang the threat of relocation over other franchises if and when they act up. Either way it does not seem like a move to Quebec is imminent.
That doesnt make sense to me because other than phoenix, all of the 'low-revenue franchises' are locked into leases with pretty prohibative buyout penalties unless they want to go the moyes route and declare bankruptcy, which is a last-resort move.

I know what bill daly said, but this alignment is a bad omen for QC. With phoenix in as dire straits as it is now, the NHL must have an internal backup plan (as they did a few years ago before they used it on atlanta). The fact that their willing to put 16 teams in the east the same year we expect phoenix to come to an end symbolizes, to me, that QC is not that backup plan.

danishh is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
  #15
GF
Registered User
 
GF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
I believe:
1- that the NHL can't even hint at a possible relocation without getting Quebec city, the province and even the country going crazy about the idea of getting the Nordiques back. So they did what they needed to do, act/plan as if nothing will happen.

2- that the only market ready to get a relocating franchise right now is Quebec city.

3- that changing the alignment is really easy for the NHL. If the Coyotes were to be relocated to QC, they can change it quite easily. They could make a whole schedule up when they resolved the lock-out, it can't be that hard to re-schedule/re-align for one team.

4- that behind closed doors, the BoG might have also voted on a relocation alignment as well. Is anyone besides the governors even allowed? I don't think so. The NHL will let us know what they want. If they voted on a second alignment with the team moving to QC, do you really think they would let us know?

5- that the NHL will deny any information, will hide any evidence, will conceal any details about a relocation (to QC or Seatle) until the very last second. So trying to figure out what will happen with the Coyotes based on a vote on re-alignment is pointless.

GF is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
  #16
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13
 
No Fun Shogun's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 21,315
vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It looks to me like the NHL wants to keep the Coyotes in PHX for as long as possible and have other cities line up with new arenas so they can hang the threat of relocation over other franchises if and when they act up. Either way it does not seem like a move to Quebec is imminent.
If Glendale was willing to foot the bill for another year, I could buy that. Not so much now that Glendale isn't. I really doubt that the league would want to keep holding on to a white elephant that's about to balloon massively due to the lost of public subsidies next year.

No Fun Shogun is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:11 PM
  #17
Brodie
Moderator
King at the Wall
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
I think QC was the plan right up until Seattle became a viable option. The 2011 plan was set up to allow a move to PQ, this one seems like it's geared toward Seattle exclusively.

Brodie is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:14 PM
  #18
halligan10
Registered User
 
halligan10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Palm Harbor
Country: United States
Posts: 386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
From the two complementary articles, it sounds like it was mostly to have more time with his family and to take care of philanthropic stuff. He has expressed concerns about the strength of entrepreneurship in the province several times, might have to do with that.

Both articles also mention «taking a step back» for «strategic» reasons.

He still is a controlling shareholder.
If he wanted to spend more time with his familly he wouldnt be buying an NHL team. I think this is a good sign that something is going on behind closed doors.

halligan10 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:21 PM
  #19
BnGBear1970
YUP!
 
BnGBear1970's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
I believe:
1- that the NHL can't even hint at a possible relocation without getting Quebec city, the province and even the country going crazy about the idea of getting the Nordiques back. So they did what they needed to do, act/plan as if nothing will happen.

2- that the only market ready to get a relocating franchise right now is Quebec city.

3- that changing the alignment is really easy for the NHL. If the Coyotes were to be relocated to QC, they can change it quite easily. They could make a whole schedule up when they resolved the lock-out, it can't be that hard to re-schedule/re-align for one team.

4- that behind closed doors, the BoG might have also voted on a relocation alignment as well. Is anyone besides the governors even allowed? I don't think so. The NHL will let us know what they want. If they voted on a second alignment with the team moving to QC, do you really think they would let us know?

5- that the NHL will deny any information, will hide any evidence, will conceal any details about a relocation (to QC or Seattle) until the very last second. So trying to figure out what will happen with the Coyotes based on a vote on re-alignment is pointless.
To wit, the Atlanta Thrashers were still accepting season ticket deposits in the hours AFTER TNSE bought the team. The league will deny reality with evidence to the contrary, so why would they all but admit that Phoenix is coming east before they have to?

I'm not sure what the NHL's plan is with Phoenix (a big part of me thinks they'll hang on to them in Phoenix until more than one viable option is out there), but if the Glendale City Council makes life hard for the league, only Quebec is in position to take the team for 2013-14 now. Again, TNSE had a hard time getting a nearly-NHL-ready arena up to snuff in time for a season 4 months later; what chance will Seattle have with KeyArena at this stage in the game?

BnGBear1970 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:29 PM
  #20
Shawa666
Registered User
 
Shawa666's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Québec, Qc, Ca
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,275
vCash: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Did he step down from Quebecor or Quebecor Media ?

Media is the biggest chunk of the business.

Also, this morning we got sad news. No Nordiques before 2016. The BOG approuval of the new divisions opens up all doors for Phoenix to Seattle move.

While testing Detroit and Blue Jackets in East might seem like temporary, it definitly closes (but does not locks) the doors for a relocation and/or expansion in the East.
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
I don't know.... this whole realignment process is making me have more and more questions about Quebec's chances with getting the Yotes versus Seattle, despite the fact that your arena process is significantly more advanced than theirs, the fact that you'd easily be able to sell out tickets at a much quicker tick than Seattle, and that a Seattle-based NHL team will have to compete with the new Sonics....

That, or the NHL is setting up Detroit for the ultimate trolljob before they get booted back West in a few years, which I'm hopeful is true!
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
It looks to me like the NHL wants to keep the Coyotes in PHX for as long as possible and have other cities line up with new arenas so they can hang the threat of relocation over other franchises if and when they act up. Either way it does not seem like a move to Quebec is imminent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
That doesnt make sense to me because other than phoenix, all of the 'low-revenue franchises' are locked into leases with pretty prohibative buyout penalties unless they want to go the moyes route and declare bankruptcy, which is a last-resort move.

I know what bill daly said, but this alignment is a bad omen for QC. With phoenix in as dire straits as it is now, the NHL must have an internal backup plan (as they did a few years ago before they used it on atlanta). The fact that their willing to put 16 teams in the east the same year we expect phoenix to come to an end symbolizes, to me, that QC is not that backup plan.
Guys, Gary doesn't plan in advance. Gary Reacts. This should have been done two years ago. Instead he let himself get caught with his pants down. I don't think it's a bad omen for Quebec. I think it's just Gary being the poor manager that he is.


Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
I believe:
1- that the NHL can't even hint at a possible relocation without getting Quebec city, the province and even the country going crazy about the idea of getting the Nordiques back. So they did what they needed to do, act/plan as if nothing will happen.

2- that the only market ready to get a relocating franchise right now is Quebec city.

3- that changing the alignment is really easy for the NHL. If the Coyotes were to be relocated to QC, they can change it quite easily. They could make a whole schedule up when they resolved the lock-out, it can't be that hard to re-schedule/re-align for one team.

4- that behind closed doors, the BoG might have also voted on a relocation alignment as well. Is anyone besides the governors even allowed? I don't think so. The NHL will let us know what they want. If they voted on a second alignment with the team moving to QC, do you really think they would let us know?

5- that the NHL will deny any information, will hide any evidence, will conceal any details about a relocation (to QC or Seatle) until the very last second. So trying to figure out what will happen with the Coyotes based on a vote on re-alignment is pointless.
Nah, I think Gary just isn't capable to admit defeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I think QC was the plan right up until Seattle became a viable option. The 2011 plan was set up to allow a move to PQ, this one seems like it's geared toward Seattle exclusively.
Seattle can't possibly host a team until 2016-17. The Key is just not suited for today's NHL.

Shawa666 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
  #21
Brodie
Moderator
King at the Wall
 
Brodie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Michigan
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 11,833
vCash: 500
I think it's naive to believe the NHL wouldn't trade 3 years at a suboptimal arena for the much larger market

Brodie is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 03:57 PM
  #22
GF
Registered User
 
GF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 412
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I think it's naive to believe the NHL wouldn't trade 3 years at a suboptimal arena for the much larger market
That could be true IF the NHL was operating the Coyotes in Seattle. You're asking an owner to take losses for three years before trying to make money. If the losses are 10-20m$ a year for three years, it might take several years to regain those losses.

On the other hand, with no more subsidy from Glendale, the NHL is losing money in Glendale. Around 20m$ a year if the NHL is to be believed. So if they hang onto the Coyotes for one more year, the problem basically stays the same. They will have to sell the franchise for 20m$ more to break even. So a new owner in Seattle will need to pay 20m$ more in a year, plus the losses he will have to cover for the years played in the temporary venue. And then, pray enough people have money/time/interest for hockey.

I think a serious owner could very well decide to wait for either another troubled franchise or a possible expansion. Plus, I am one of those who think that competing head to head with a NBA franchise in those first three years is a bad idea. Let people swallow the NBA caplet before trying to force a NHL pill. When the NBA is firmly in place, they will have a better idea of the NHL chances of success.

GF is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 04:03 PM
  #23
JB52
Registered User
 
JB52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 327
vCash: 500
Like I said in the other thread, if realignment is a bad sign for franchise relocation, it should also be for an expansion. If you are saying, the Coyotes can not move to Quebec because there's only 14 teams in the west, you also imply that expansion will necessarily happen west of Detroit, because there's no place left in the east.

Maybe, because I'm in Quebec city, I'm delusional, so let's take Toronto instead. Would that make sense? No expansion to Markham, because there's no place left in the eastern conference. I don't think so.

JB52 is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:37 PM
  #24
Patofqc
Registered User
 
Patofqc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodie View Post
I think it's naive to believe the NHL wouldn't trade 3 years at a suboptimal arena for the much larger market
Bigger market yes, but smaller hockey market.

Patofqc is offline  
Old
03-14-2013, 05:47 PM
  #25
Revo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 349
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by halligan10 View Post
If he wanted to spend more time with his familly he wouldnt be buying an NHL team. I think this is a good sign that something is going on behind closed doors.
Possibly, certainly seems like there's something brewing around Quebecor Inc., whether it has to with an NHL team or not remains to be seen.



Also, «market» being thrown around like it was the same as demography. What's new.

Revo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.