HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ville de Québec Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 01:16 PM
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
Apparently, someone from the Nordiques forum ordered Killer Instinct for the SNES on Ebay. Everything was OK except that the seller had left a small note in the package saying "You WON'T have our team!". The seller was from Glendale, USA. He must have needed to vent his frustration because he can't find free tickets anymore so he can't no longer go to games.

At least there was no anthrax, broken stuff or anything else wrong in the package but I sure hope that if Phoenix ever builds an hockey arena downtown or in Scottsdale to try to get an expansion franchise (assuming the Coyotes move), that Quebec fans won't sink as low towards the few respectful hockey fans that lives in Arizona.
Ahhh it was probably in jest. Asides, if he didn't crap on the cartridge or nothing...

Old
04-10-2013, 01:26 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Apparently, someone from the Nordiques forum ordered Killer Instinct for the SNES on Ebay. Everything was OK except that the seller had left a small note in the package saying "You WON'T have our team!". The seller was from Glendale, USA.
That's actually pretty funny!

I have a friend from Phoenix on fb. Here's the conversation we had the other day on his wall:

Me: Dude, you have something I want....

Him: For the last time, NO I WILL NOT MAKE OUT WITH YOU.

Me: Not that, doofus... the Phoenix Coyotes! You guys don't seem to care much about them - time to ship them to Quebec City where they belong

Him: Sure, no problem!

Old
04-10-2013, 01:36 PM
MNNumbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
As long I got a team, I don't care they play on Mars ;-)

Seriously, the players association's behavior makes me think an alternative plan is already in the boxes. But all we can do is speculate.

I'd think COL would shift in PAC and Qc would play with CHI & co, the time the whole thing gets a new facelift.
I believe this exchange with Colorado is very likely. Think of it:
Colorado would be exchanging 6 teams in a different time zone, for 3 teams in the same time zone, and 3 teams in a different time zone. That has to be a plus for them.

Quebec (was Phoenix) trades 3 teams 3 TZs away and 3 teams 2 TZs away for 6 teams only 1 TZ away.

That makes too much sense not to happen.

Then, if it were me, which it's not, I would change the schedule for the west also.

The proposed (Western Conf games only): 3 games vs other division teams = 21, and 4 or 5 games vs own division teams for 29.

I would do: 2 games vs the other division = 14, and 6 games vs own division = 36.

The drawback to my idea is that there is then no difference to Chicago in their sched vs LA as opposed to vs Phil, but I don't think that's a big deal. In fact, in some ways better. The advantages: Totally balanced, both in opponents and in home ice. And, less travel and fewer out of time zone games.

But, it won't happen.

The thing that will, if PHX >> QUE is Colorado to the Pacific, and Quebec to be grouped with the CTZ teams.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:03 PM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam...tre/index.aspx

You can definitively see the start of the oval there on the right.
Man those cranetowers can only mean one thing, steel and concrete are soon to start being poored in the ground.

Old
04-10-2013, 03:26 PM
madhi19
Just the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerstuck View Post
Man those cranetowers can only mean one thing, steel and concrete are soon to start being poored in the ground.
It sure look pretty!

Old
04-10-2013, 04:35 PM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
That's actually pretty funny!

I have a friend from Phoenix on fb. Here's the conversation we had the other day on his wall:

Me: Dude, you have something I want....

Him: For the last time, NO I WILL NOT MAKE OUT WITH YOU.

Me: Not that, doofus... the Phoenix Coyotes! You guys don't seem to care much about them - time to ship them to Quebec City where they belong

Him: Sure, no problem!
I know on a forum I used to run there are three people from Arizona. One didn't seem to care about any hockey conversation, the other one was interested but was not familiar at all with the Coyotes nor any other existing NHL team and the 3rd one said we can take the Coyotes because he's kinda tired of hearing about the ownership issues.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:40 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
I know on a forum I used to run there are three people from Arizona. One didn't seem to care about any hockey conversation, the other one was interested but was not familiar at all with the Coyotes nor any other existing NHL team and the 3rd one said we can take the Coyotes because he's kinda tired of hearing about the ownership issues.
Not overly shocking. Phoenix really isn't a sports town: Hell, even the NFL Cardinals have had trouble selling tickets. You know it's a bad sports town when the NFL can't even sell.

Old
04-10-2013, 04:49 PM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintPatrick33 View Post
Not overly shocking. Phoenix really isn't a sports town: Hell, even the NFL Cardinals have had trouble selling tickets. You know it's a bad sports town when the NFL can't even sell.
But the stadium is in Glendale. I can't spend an hour and a half in my air conditionned Escalade to go to a sports game! I want it delivered right at home!

Old
04-10-2013, 04:52 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
But the stadium is in Glendale. I can't spend an hour and a half in my air conditionned Escalade to go to a sports game! I want it delivered right at home!
My aunt lives in Phoenix and she tells me getting to Glendale isn't a big deal (it IS right smack in the middle of what people in Phoenix consider "Phoenix"): No more difficult than getting to FedEx Field from Washington DC.....and the Redskins have no problems selling out a 90,000 seat stadium

Old
04-11-2013, 06:50 AM
JMT21
I Give A Dam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madhi19 View Post
It sure look pretty!

I see construction is moving along nicely. Puts Quebec miles ahead of Seattle (or should I say KM).

There still is no guarantee Seattle will even get the NBA as many are coming forward to purchase the Sacramento Kings and keep them in Sacramento!

A question for the Quebec friends.

Has the Le Colisee been upgraded (press box etc) to welcome the NHL for a couple seasons ?

I very much look forward to the Nordique visiting MTSC next fall to play the Jets.

Old
04-11-2013, 07:58 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post
I see construction is moving along nicely. Puts Quebec miles ahead of Seattle (or should I say KM).

There still is no guarantee Seattle will even get the NBA as many are coming forward to purchase the Sacramento Kings and keep them in Sacramento!

A question for the Quebec friends.

Has the Le Colisee been upgraded (press box etc) to welcome the NHL for a couple seasons ?

I very much look forward to the Nordique visiting MTSC next fall to play the Jets.
There was work done last summer. IIRC it only needs an A/C update and some minor work

Old
04-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
My aunt lives in Phoenix and she tells me getting to Glendale isn't a big deal (it IS right smack in the middle of what people in Phoenix consider "Phoenix"): No more difficult than getting to FedEx Field from Washington DC.....and the Redskins have no problems selling out a 90,000 seat stadium
Regular complaint: Glendale is so far from the rich suburbs of Scottsdale.

http://goo.gl/maps/hDR9X

It's 30 miles away, for god's sake.That' what I drive to get to the Colisée. (I'm on south Shore)

Old
04-11-2013, 09:22 AM
calmdown

There is a Nordique's flag on the second tower crane too

Old
04-11-2013, 10:41 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawa666 View Post
Regular complaint: Glendale is so far from the rich suburbs of Scottsdale.

http://goo.gl/maps/hDR9X

It's 30 miles away, for god's sake.That' what I drive to get to the Colisée. (I'm on south Shore)
From what the locals say, it's more about the traffic than the geographical distance. Guessing it's not flowing along smoothly on I-10 between the hours of 5pm-7pm, when people are heading to the game.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
From what the locals say, it's more about the traffic than the geographical distance. Guessing it's not flowing along smoothly on I-10 between the hours of 5pm-7pm, when people are heading to the game.
Anybody complaining about traffic in Phoenix has never seen I-495 around Washington DC at rush hour

Old
04-11-2013, 12:39 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT21 View Post

If Seattle gets the Kings, scheduled open date of the Arena is September 2015. There is a notion that because Quebec is already building its arena, and Seattle isn't that Quebec's Arena would be done much quicker than Seattle's and that is not the case.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
If Seattle gets the Kings, scheduled open date of the Arena is September 2015. There is a notion that because Quebec is already building its arena, and Seattle isn't that Quebec's Arena would be done much quicker than Seattle's and that is not the case.
I read in a few places that 2017 is not expected hopening for the new Seattle arena. Anyway the problem for Seattle is the temporary facility which is not suitable for NHL hockey.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
GF

The difference is the "if". There is no if in QC.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:21 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I read in a few places that 2017 is not expected hopening for the new Seattle arena. Anyway the problem for Seattle is the temporary facility which is not suitable for NHL hockey.

Quote:
Hansen told owners he believed a new Seattle arena could open in September 2015, according to those people with knowledge of the presentation.
http://www.king5.com/news/Growing-ri...202429701.html

If you can provide links of officials with the NHL stating that Key arena would not work, Could you please gladly share them?

Old
04-11-2013, 01:22 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by GF View Post
The difference is the "if". There is no if in QC.
And that will all be made clear in less than a month, even with that the arenas are on similar time tables for finish dates.

Old
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
Revo

Quote:
And that will all be made clear in less than a month, even with that the arenas are on similar time tables for finish dates.
I'm curious, is there anything done about the arena? I'd find it hard to believe there's a credible time table out without at least some preliminary work done.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:24 PM
GF

Quote:
Well, it's great for you guys if you get a brand new multi-function arena for NBA/NHL by 2015.

I don't know how things work in your neck of the woods, but around here, there's always some opposition, then tree huggers try to make any construction fail, then there's always the delicate part about financing, tendering etc.

That's what I meant by no if in QC. Everything is done, approved and under construction. I was not only referring to the NBA decision to relocate or not.

Old
04-11-2013, 02:27 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle Sin Bin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo View Post
I'm curious, is there anything done about the arena? I'd find it hard to believe there's a credible time table out without at least some preliminary work done.
No there isn't, Master permits are suppose to be filed this week. For reasons why a Seattle Arena would get done faster than Quebec arena? Some people mention Unions are much bigger in Quebec? Also they can't work throughout the year (Because ground is frozen?) while in seattle they can work all year long. Also large projects here teams get bonuses if they complete earlier than scheduled.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:19 PM
Scandale du Jour
JordanStaal#1Fan

vCash: 2066
Quote:
No there isn't, Master permits are suppose to be filed this week. For reasons why a Seattle Arena would get done faster than Quebec arena? Some people mention Unions are much bigger in Quebec? Also they can't work throughout the year (Because ground is frozen?) while in seattle they can work all year long. Also large projects here teams get bonuses if they complete earlier than scheduled.
It was an issue here only for the first Winter. As soon as the digging is done and the foundations are set up, it doesn't matter if the ground freezes.

Old
04-11-2013, 03:54 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Anybody complaining about traffic in Phoenix has never seen I-495 around Washington DC at rush hour
I've never been to Phoenix... just relaying that the locals say it's as much about congestion as distance.

I've been stuck on the DC Beltway in a snowstorm for so long that I had to get off at an exit and rent a room for the night. But at least in DC, you have the option of taking the Metro to get places.

Closed Thread