HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, NHL revenues, relocation and expansion.

Ville de Québec Part VIII: Et c'est pas fini, ce n'est qu'un début

Closed Thread

Old
03-29-2013, 12:31 AM
Northender

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Omnimaga View Post
I wish the Rouge et Or stadium was larger so that they could have an heritage classic game there. The Big O could work as well if they ever decide to replace the roof (a game could be played while the current roof is removed). Hockey is so popular in Quebec province that people would attempt building wayback machines to attempt buying tickets 1 year before the game is announced.
You have heard of the 25000 seat Molson Stadium in Montreal right? It is actually an outdoor stadium.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:41 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
You have heard of the 25000 seat Molson Stadium in Montreal right? It is actually an outdoor stadium.
Going to all that trouble to seat a whopping 4,000 people more than in the Bell Centre seems a bit unnecessary.

Old
03-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

Heritage classic game? Abraham's Plains.

Old
03-29-2013, 02:24 AM
DJ Omnimaga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
Heritage classic game? Abraham's Plains.
Too small (per Quebec City's standards). It only holds 270,000 people.

Although seriously, if this was actually feasible on the Abraham Plains it would be insane to see 100,000 people standing there to watch an outdoor game with 170,000 extra fans watching it on giant screens like during the Paul McCartney concert in 2008. However I don't think that many people would make it if it's -15°C outside.

Old
03-29-2013, 07:48 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

I know I should not but....

It's good friday.

http://youtu.be/6B1-c3y_Vng

Old
03-29-2013, 09:50 AM
powerstuck
Nordiques Hopes Lies

Quote:
Too small (per Quebec City's standards). It only holds 270,000 people.

Although seriously, if this was actually feasible on the Abraham Plains it would be insane to see 100,000 people standing there to watch an outdoor game with 170,000 extra fans watching it on giant screens like during the Paul McCartney concert in 2008. However I don't think that many people would make it if it's -15°C outside.
In its prime years Red Bull Crashed Ice gathered roughly around 60k on nights as cold as -25c

Old
03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
Jesus Christ Horburn

It must be exciting times right now in Quebec City.

I was in Winnipeg in May 2011 when the entire city was on pins and needles. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but it felt like forever until it was finally announced. Every time it looked like it was a done deal, Bettman, Daly or Dreger (on behalf of the league) would dismiss the reports.

But when it finally happened, the entire city partied for weeks.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:12 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJG View Post
It must be exciting times right now in Quebec City.

I was in Winnipeg in May 2011 when the entire city was on pins and needles. Everyone knew it was going to happen, but it felt like forever until it was finally announced. Every time it looked like it was a done deal, Bettman, Daly or Dreger (on behalf of the league) would dismiss the reports.

But when it finally happened, the entire city partied for weeks.
It feels like a roller coaster ride on my emotions. When Dreger said what he did, i was starting to believe again. Now we here from Bettman that its almost a done deal to keep the team in Glendale. Its hard on my nerves right now.

Old
03-29-2013, 10:59 AM
Nordskull
WAITING FOR NORDS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
It feels like a roller coaster ride on my emotions. When Dreger said what he did, i was starting to believe again. Now we here from Bettman that its almost a done deal to keep the team in Glendale. Its hard on my nerves right now.
Pat, you got more experience then that...

Dreger makes his shot, the day after, Bettman calls the mayor to tell him another group is ready but no word on the lease?

Come on Pat, he is playing the "its really you fault" game and leverage with PKP at same time.

I am dead sure the price is still not set between the league and PKP. It won't until the very last minute, like early may.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:39 PM
Morgoth Bauglir
Master Of The Fates

Quote:
Originally Posted by QcBlizzard View Post
I know I should not but....

It's good friday.

http://youtu.be/6B1-c3y_Vng
Let's do this right and show the whole thing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=516AuSfaAUk

Old
03-29-2013, 02:16 PM
Hal1971

Quote:
I wish the Rouge et Or stadium was larger so that they could have an heritage classic game there. The Big O could work as well if they ever decide to replace the roof (a game could be played while the current roof is removed). Hockey is so popular in Quebec province that people would attempt building wayback machines to attempt buying tickets 1 year before the game is announced.
An heritage classic on the Plaine d'Abraham would be nuts!

Old
03-29-2013, 06:15 PM
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

Don't worry about that Pastor guy, people. He ain't ****.

His company is worth 450 millions. PKP alone is worth 700 millions.

Pastor himself? Well this is his first year as the boss of his own company, used to work for Prudential before that.

Nothing there. If anything this is the guy who will sell the team to PKP.

Old
03-29-2013, 11:54 PM
StayFrosty

Can someone give me the rundown on the current situation?

Is it true the Coyotes, Panthers, and Islanders are all still in trouble?

Any chance all three of them are gone after this season?

Old
03-30-2013, 12:00 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13-15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by StayFrosy View Post
Can someone give me the rundown on the current situation?

Is it true the Coyotes, Panthers, and Islanders are all still in trouble?

Any chance all three of them are gone after this season?
There's zero chance. The Yotes are the only team on the relocation block. Panthers are being used as a loss-leader for the arena ownership and real estate development in the area, so their owners aren't looking to seel and the Islanders signed a lease for the new Barclays Center for 25 years, so they're staying put until 2040.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:53 AM
DJ Omnimaga

You know, back in the days of the Nordiques on tuesday evenings there was a TV show called Lance et Compte featuring an spoof of the Quebec Nordiques. It mostly covers the ups and downs of that fictional team, along with life issues of the players/people involved, like most other similar TV shows that are not about hockey.

Maybe in 2014 or 2015, TVA could start a new hockey series but this time focusing on the team financial issues, the team being for sale since a few years and have mysterious buyers/investors appear every few episode/season, with their deal falling apart at the last minute everytime. This time, the series could be a parody of the Phoenix Coyotes situation.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:46 AM
Phil Parent
The Lama Of Levity

Lance et Compte is still on and they do cover current events in the game, but the National never moved in the series, they were sent back to being expansion level when half of the team was killed in an accident (yes... I know what we're all thinking, but actually, they did it a year before Lokomotiv's plane crashed...) but they never moved.

I don't follow the series intensively, but I'm pretty sure they did intrigues on the team being sold and stuff.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:00 AM
DyerMaker66*

vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
Going to all that trouble to seat a whopping 4,000 people more than in the Bell Centre seems a bit unnecessary.
Why not just use Olympic Stadium?

Old
03-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
Why not just use Olympic Stadium?
I don't care either way, but I think the implication is that Olympic Stadium is not an outdoor stadium, thus it wouldn't really be a "winter classic" type game.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

What's the stadium situation for Quebec if they get a team next season? Move into an old one 'till the new arena is ready? Just curious from someone who hasn't payed enough attention.

Old
03-30-2013, 11:40 AM
wildthing202

Send a message via AIM to wildthing202 Send a message via Yahoo to wildthing202
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmanWingsFan View Post
What's the stadium situation for Quebec if they get a team next season? Move into an old one 'till the new arena is ready? Just curious from someone who hasn't payed enough attention.
Pretty much yeah, they'll play where Nords 1.0 played until the new place is finished.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:50 PM
Acesolid
The Illusive Bettman

Quote:
The old Colisée was renovated for the 2008 hockey world championships. And there are 30 millions budgeted and contracts given by the city in order to make it NHL ready in 5 months if the ''red button is pushed''. So it'll be ready on time if we have a team and untill the new arena is finished.

It can hold around 15 500 people and has 41 corporate boxes. It's larger then Winnipeg's!

So it'll be ok temporarely.

Old
03-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Last summer, the Colisee got a bunch of renovations, everything was set for the NHL standards. Some other renovations were approved but could be done only after a confirmation that a team is coming. So actually, the old Colisee is already half renovated, and the rest could be done this summer.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:01 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acesolid View Post
The old Colisée was renovated for the 2008 hockey world championships. And there are 30 millions budgeted and contracts given by the city in order to make it NHL ready in 5 months if the ''red button is pushed''. So it'll be ready on time if we have a team and untill the new arena is finished.

It can hold around 15 500 people and has 41 corporate boxes. It's larger then Winnipeg's!

So it'll be ok temporarely.

Doesn't that suggest PKP wouldn't lose much money, if at all, at the old Colisée until the new one is ready?

Old
03-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Matrix78

Quote:
Doesn't that suggest PKP wouldn't lose much money, if at all, at the old Colisée until the new one is ready?
Yes and No

The real problem is the corporate boxes in the old Colisee, however the ratting for TV games would be crazy with all the hype after an announcement. Quebecor owns the new sport channel "TVAsport" and newpapers so he could make money from outside the arena.

In the end, he wouldn't lose that much,
Much much less than the Coyotes for sure.

Old
03-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
I don't think Quebecor will ever make money with the team itself but with everything else: TV rights, newspapers, magazines, etc.

Closed Thread