HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 Draft Thread | "MacT, If You Trade Out of 7 To Draft Lazar I'll Be Pissed."

View Poll Results: Where do you take Barkov?
Before MacKinnon & Drouin 22 9.82%
Before MacKinnon 5 2.23%
Before Drouin 85 37.95%
After MacKinnon & Drouin 112 50.00%
Voters: 224. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
04-25-2013, 01:35 PM
dnicks17

vCash: 500
2013 Draft Thread | "MacT, If You Trade Out of 7 To Draft Lazar I'll Be Pissed."

On to another one.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:38 PM
Aequitas

I have a question for everyone.

C Valeri Nichushkin 6.04 196

This guy is ranked 2nd on ISS and 5th on button's but why is he not in the conversation for a lottery pick/our pick. He is big and has offense maybe not as two way as barkov. The only negative I can see in the guy is his russian contract but seems to me people think he is so good its worth the risk. I'm not saying oilers should take him but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility he changes the makeup of the first 5 selections.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:40 PM
BarDownBobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aequitas View Post

This guy is ranked 2nd on ISS and 5th on button's but why is he not in the conversation for a lottery pick/our pick. He is big and has offense maybe not as two way as barkov. The only negative I can see in the guy is his russian contract but seems to me people think he is so good its worth the risk. I'm not saying oilers should take him but I don't think its out of the realm of possibility he changes the makeup of the first 5 selections.
Well firstly he's not a center. Don't know where people keep getting this from. The knocks on him are that he's Russian and has a 2 year contract in the KHL, and he has bad hockey IQ. I could see him going top 5, just depends who picks there.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
OilerFan4Life

Any fan saying they'd pass on MacKinnon if he's on the board, give your head a shake.

If the Oilers pass on Mac, the entire front office should be fired.

You draft the BPA. Period. If we have too much offensive firepower, trade someone.

Old
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

vCash: 1507
Topkatz

I don't think the Oilers take MacKinnon unless they plan to trade him. We have to stop drafting smaller forwards, it is getting us nowhere because the forwards we have at the minute don't have the space to play.

It would be silly of the Oil to pass on Mack if he's available. He's too skilled, doesn't play like a small center and we need that two way punch up the middle.

Old
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Quote:

Please don't quote Craig Button's list.

Old
dnicks17

Quote:

He's a winger.

For some reason some places have him listed as a C.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:

He's a winger despite the HFboard profile listing, and a left wing at that.

The Oilers really need a high end center or defenseman, not a guy who will spend his career playing behind Hall/Yak/Eberle.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:43 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarDownBobo View Post
Well firstly he's not a center. Don't know where people keep getting this from. The knocks on him are that he's Russian and has a 2 year contract in the KHL, and he has bad hockey IQ. I could see him going top 5, just depends who picks there.
they probably get it where i did. ISS list. Although just saw that he is a LW on buttons. Either way I am not saying he is our pick just saying if he is ranked in top 5 on two lists chances are he could be changing who is available to us (if we dont get into the top 3 imo)

Old
dyzfunctioned

Why do people keep saying MacKinnon is small? For starters, I'm not going to repeat the argument that size doesn't mean a thing, because I've beat it to death and people who think size equates with effectiveness are hopeless.

But he's listed at 5'11, 179 lbs on Wiki/HockeyDB. Various scouting resources list him at 6'0, 185 lbs, which coincidentally is the exact same as John Tavares when he was drafted. Tavares is now 206 lbs and I don't hear anyone saying he's "small".

Sean Monahan is 6'2, 193 lbs - 2 inches and 8 lbs bigger than MacKinnnon. How the hell does this even make a difference and make Mackinnon small and redundant while Monahan is the big power forward that will answer all our issues? Not to mention Monahan is significantly older.

Old
Neilio
Navi-X, Google it

I'd take Barkov before Drouin. Maybe not before Mac. But its close.

I don't buy that either one are so far ahead of Barkov that you don't consider him.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:46 PM
OilerFan4Life

100% agreed with the last guy.

I'll pass on Drouin but not Mac.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:47 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dyzfunctioned View Post
Why do people keep saying MacKinnon is small? For starters, I'm not going to repeat the argument that size doesn't mean a thing, because I've beat it to death and people who think size equates with effectiveness are hopeless.

But he's listed at 5'11, 179 lbs on Wiki/HockeyDB. Various scouting resources list him at 6'0, 185 lbs, which coincidentally is the exact same as John Tavares when he was drafted. Tavares is now 206 lbs and I don't hear anyone saying he's "small".

Sean Monahan is 6'2, 193 lbs - 2 inches and 8 lbs bigger than MacKinnnon. How the hell does this even make a difference and make Mackinnon small and redundant while Monahan is the big power forward that will answer all our issues? Not to mention Monahan is significantly ol
Mac is 5-11. You don't think three inches is a significant size difference? I'm not saying one player is better, but three inches is a lot. Ask my wife.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:47 PM
OilerFan4Life

Quote:

Sean Monahan is 6'2, 193 lbs - 2 inches and 8 lbs bigger than MacKinnnon. How the hell does this even make a difference and make Mackinnon small and redundant while Monahan is the big power forward that will answer all our issues? Not to mention Monahan is significantly older.
Same fans wanting Monahan over Mac will be the ones wanting MacT fired 365 days from now when Mac is a lock for the Calder.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:48 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:

People here need to get over the size issue already. But I get it we've been burnt by several small skilled forwards who ae good offensively but aren't physical. Gagner, Cogs, Nilsson, PatiO(Replacement special), Omark and he list keeps going.

Well people have you taken a look at the big forwards this club does have or has had that don't play "big". Shawn Horcoff, Teemu Hartikainen, Magnus Paajarvi, JF Jacques, Mihknov.

Seriously gentlemen it's true size doesn't matter it's how you use it.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:49 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerFan4Life View Post
100% agreed with the last guy.

I'll pass on Drouin but not Mac.
I don't buy drouin being BPA anyways. Just because he has more skill doesn't mean he is a better player. A 60-70 point center who can defensively shut down another line is just as valuable as a soft 90 point player imo.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:54 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
I don't buy drouin being BPA anyways. Just because he has more skill doesn't mean he is a better player. A 60-70 point center who can defensively shut down another line is just as valuable as a soft 90 point player imo.
Drouin is no "softer" than MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan.

Old
04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
dyzfunctioned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Mac is 5-11. You don't think three inches is a significant size difference? I'm not saying one player is better, but three inches is a lot. Ask my wife.
Even if you consider three inches (if it is 3 inches) a lot, Mackinnon still protects the puck better than Monahan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
People here need to get over the size issue already. But I get it we've been burnt by several small skilled forwards who ae good offensively but aren't physical. Gagner, Cogs, Nilsson, PatiO(Replacement special), Omark and he list keeps going.

Well people have you taken a look at the big forwards this club does have or has had that don't play "big". Shawn Horcoff, Teemu Hartikainen, Magnus Paajarvi, JF Jacques, Mihknov.

Seriously gentlemen it's true size doesn't matter it's how you use it.
+1

Old
04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Aequitas

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Drouin is no "softer" than MacKinnon, Barkov or Monahan.
I don't mean soft physically i mean defensively. I am also not trying to imply he is soft I just feel at this point you can't say he would be great defensively just like you can't say barkov wouldn't be great offensively.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Still complaining is she?

Old
04-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Koto

Quote:
hes been bumped up to 6' by both CSS and ISS as of april, and he is one of the youngest players in the draft (still not 18 right?) he could be 6'1.

Eberle was drafted 5 10, now is 6'

more importantly he has a very strong lower body and great balance/strength on his feet, should be far more stable than both gagner and hall. in terms of body type, yakupov and crosby may be good comparisons.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:09 PM
KenLinsemanFanClub
Sorry State

vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
hes been bumped up to 6' by both CSS and ISS as of april, and he is one of the youngest players in the draft (still not 18 right?) he could be 6'1.

Eberle was drafted 5 10, now is 6'

more importantly he has a very strong lower body and great balance/strength on his feet, should be far more stable than both gagner and hall. in terms of body type, yakupov and crosby may be good comparisons.
If Eberle is 6', I'm 10 inches.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Shizuka

Quote:
Amen to the bolded part. It's not the size of the dog it's the fight in them. I have no idea how these guys get to the NHL, fight and struggle and work like demons to get into that shape and develop skills... and then let it all slide once they reach the show. It's pathetic. Where the hell is the compete level of these guys? They're supposed to be the elite of the hockey world (talking about the players on our sad sack team). Martin St. Louis is 38, small, and sits atop the scoring lead on a bad team in TB. No issue with fight there. Whereas Hartikainen is 6'1, 215 lbs. and plays with little heart or compete; Belanger has been going through the motions of playing his entire tenure here. WTF is wrong with these guys?

Competitive spirit is the main issue, though physical size, strength and stamina is part and parcel of that with this group. Monahan (whom I think we'll get, he projects right into the spot we're slotted to draft in) will probably not get right into the line up -- which still leaves us with a desperately needed role (one of several) to fill. Whomever it is we draft, I don't believe they should be looked upon to step in and be contributing factors right away. There is no cavalry coming through this draft, though a bigger C with a serious compete level will certainly help a year or two down the road.

Old
04-25-2013, 02:16 PM
OilerFan4Life

So Seth Jones might be repped by Jay-Z's group or something? Sorry I'm not familiar with current hipsters..

Anyone get the feeling Seth is gonna pull a Lindros or Berard and just refuse to play for certain teams?

Old
04-25-2013, 02:18 PM
doubledown99

Hockey Canada measures these guys when they make Team Canada. Mack was measured at the WJC.

He is 6' tall. Not 5'11".

Either case, we will know for sure at combine but him and Nuge were roomates. They looked the same size to me (height wise........Mack looks much bigger physically).

Go check out the TSN video when they knocked on Mack's door to tell him he made the team. Guy looked pretty ripped to me.

Closed Thread