HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Datsyuk leaving for the KHL after next season? (UPD: Dats wants to sign extension)

Old
03-14-2013, 10:31 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Datsyuk leaving for the KHL after next season? (UPD: Dats wants to sign extension)

Quote:
Pavel Datsyuk turns 36 on July 20th, 2014. That birthday will be celebrated a few months after the last minutes of hockey he'll ever play for the Detroit Red Wings. Next year will be his last in the NHL and that's according to a very reliable source in Detroit, someone close to the organization and entrenched in regional hockey programs.
Source in Detroit: Datsyuk’s Got One Year Left

Not sure how reliable this is but Kukla's Korner is a pretty good blog/site.

MOD: Source was vetted by Kukla site owner, and is accepted as a credentialed source.

Last edited by Fugu: 03-14-2013 at 02:43 PM. Reason: ...
Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
LPHabsFan

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LPHabsFan
A lot of things I think are going to change after the Olympics. Right now a lot of the KHL and Russian Federation decisions are based on possible Olympic sanctions. However once that threat is gone, I think there is going to be a lot of pressure for the those two organizations to become very independent and seperate themselves from IIHF.

LPHabsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:37 AM
InjuredChoker

That's what we have speculated on the Wings board for a while.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:38 AM
Mickey Mouse

Didn't he state during the lockout that he wanted to finish his career in Russia?

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Wingsfan2965*

I still think they can get a two year deal out of him, but he's made it obvious that he wants to retire in Russia.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:39 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I'm not sure I buy the EC reasoning. The idea that the East is harder to play in or more physical seems ridiculous. At the minimum, Pavel would be facing much reduced travel, and that has to count for something. I also think most people agree that the East is less trappy-grindy-boardbattly than the West. How exactly would playing in the East be any more difficult?

Plus, does Datsyuk really even know who Barry Sanders is/was? Not so convinced.

Guru Meditation is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:40 AM
Samkow
Global Moderator
Sidney Cosby

Send a message via Skype™ to Samkow
Wasn't Lidstrom going to finish his career in Sweden for like the last 10 seasons of his career?

Don't believe it till it happens.

AD1066

It might have more to do with his ex-wife and daughter living in Russia, rather than Datsyuk being worried about the "nightly abuse he's going to take in the Eastern Conference".

AD1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pavels Dog
#Fireholland

It's pretty likely, and that makes me very sad. Especially since we lost so much of this season, so we only have one full season left in that case.

I hope, hope, hope he hasn't made a final decision yet and that his agent/everyone convinces him he's far too good to leave for the KHL yet. He could easily play in the NHL until he's 40+. Look at Selanne, Jagr, Lidstrom. But I know there are some family issues that could be a big factor in the decision.

Pavels Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Mr Writer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
That's what we have speculated on the Wings board for a while.
Not only that, but I think Magnitka makes a big time offer to Malkin whose contract expires in July 2014 as well. I think it's 50/50 that Geno returns home as well.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
irishtemper

Maybe he leaked this info to encourage Babs to not have Cleary and Abdelkader on his wing.

irishtemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
I'm not sure I buy the EC reasoning. The idea that the East is harder to play in or more physical seems ridiculous. At the minimum, Pavel would be facing much reduced travel, and that has to count for something. I also think most people agree that the East is less trappy-grindy-boardbattly than the West. How exactly would playing in the East be any more difficult?

Sanders was 30 when he retired. Not 36

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
I'm not sure I buy the EC reasoning. The idea that the East is harder to play in or more physical seems ridiculous. At the minimum, Pavel would be facing much reduced travel, and that has to count for something. I also think most people agree that the East is less trappy-grindy-boardbattly than the West is. How exactly would playing in the East be any more difficult?

Yeah, I don't buy that reasoning. Pavel Datsyuk is a tough guy, he was playing good in the playoffs with a wrist injury right? He was darn good.

If he leaves for the KHL, it's not for that reason.

Old
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Quote:

Pretty sure if you've lived/played in Detroit you've heard of that guy one time or another.

On topic - do think Datsyuk leaves after his contract is up. If his heart is in playing in the KHL and being home, that's what he's going to do.

Marlo Stanfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:45 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post

Pretty sure if you've lived/played in Detroit you've heard of that guy one time or another.

On topic - do think Datsyuk leaves after his contract is up. If his heart is in playing in the KHL and being home, that's what he's going to do.
Right, but Sanders before Datsyuk came to Detroit and played a game completely foreign to a european guy like Datsyuk. I don't think it's far-fetched to believe that a guy like Datsyuk doesn't follow football.

Of course, that could be the writer drawing a comparison and wrongly attributing it directly to Datsyuk. That would probably make the most sense.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
loLZokAY
str8 gonger

He's always stated that he wanted to finish his career in Russia but currently, everyone is saying he is resigning for a 1-2 year extension. Larry Murphy believes he'll sign another 4 years but that's just insane. This lockout took a pretty big toll on him as he got to play hockey and spend time with his daughter. He was posting pictures of him and his daughter non-stop, and during interviews kept saying how nice it was to be home with his daughter and playing the sport he loves. He loved being around the Russian culture, and language again, especially when playing hockey. He quietly got divorced years ago, and currently has a new girlfriend that he had brought to the NHL Awards last year. In the end; this last lockout really took a toll on him, but he feels unbelievable loyalty to Detroit. He consistently has said that if it wasn't for Detroit and the veterans he got to play with, he wouldn't be the player he is today. His agent has stated that Pasha feels very committed to Detroit and their fans, but I highly doubt we'll hold it against him if he does so choose to go play back in his homeland. He has provided this team with more than enough during his stay.

**edit: i haven't read the article, but seriously? one of the excuses is physicality in the East? Has this man never watched Pavel Datsyuk in his life? Someone tries to charge at him and his goal throughout the whole rest of the game is to get back at them. Go ask Shea Weber what happens when he tries to lay a big hit on Pasha, especially a second time. **

loLZokAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:46 AM
BobDobolina

vCash: 504
Wouldn't be surprised as his family is in Russia.

BobDobolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:48 AM
Auzzie19

Heard the same thing, he will leave, we better prepare for it, gonna be a sad day.

Auzzie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
Ok ok ok..I have had enough of this chatter. This topic was brought to light when he was ACTUALLY playing in the KHL. Now with that being said, Datsyuk has said NUMEROUS times he would LIKE to end his career in Detroit and if that cant happen, he would finish in Russia.

So, with that being said, LOL, just b/c his contract is up in ONE year and quotes saying, "he likes playing in Russia," actually means hes going to end his career in Russia? It doesn't. Not one quote came out of his mouth saying, "In 2014, Im going back to Russia." 99.9% chance the Wings sign him to an extension and this whole Datsyuk going back to Russia non-sense can stop.

Reliable source...PSHH

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:51 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by loLZokAY View Post
Larry Murphy believes he'll sign another 4 years but that's just insane.
It's the glasses talking. They've taken control of his brain.

Old
CloneHakanPlease*

Wouldnt be surpised if he left, but the reasons in the article are dumb.

Its about his daughter and the russian culture

CloneHakanPlease* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Pi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post
Ok ok ok..I have had enough of this chatter. This topic was brought to light when he was ACTUALLY playing in the KHL. Now with that being said, Datsyuk has said NUMEROUS times he would LIKE to end his career in Detroit and if that cant happen, he would finish in Russia.

So, with that being said, LOL, just b/c his contract is up in ONE year and quotes saying, "he likes playing in Russia," actually means hes going to end his career in Russia? It doesn't. Not one quote came out of his mouth saying, "In 2014, Im going back to Russia." 99.9% chance the Wings sign him to an extension and this whole Datsyuk going back to Russia non-sense can stop.

Reliable source...PSHH
Reliable or not...Datsyuk won't say if he's staying or leaving to the media. Those are talks he would have with Holland, not to the media.

Old
03-14-2013, 10:52 AM
Pavels Dog
#Fireholland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huddy View Post

Reliable source...PSHH
Well said. I'm not taking anything for granted though. Pavel isn't someone that craves being in the spotlight or anything, so it's fully possible he chooses to be closer to family. Could also depend on how the Wings look next year. If they can get back to being a top team, get him decent wingers, and compete for the cup the chances he stays are probably higher than if we struggle like this year or worse.

Pavels Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Wingsfan2965*

I'd want to leave too if Justin Abdelkader were my winger.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:59 AM
The Nose
#FireHolland

The Eastern Conference reasoning makes me question this source. I don't think it's reliable at all. Though I do believe he is saving.

The Nose is offline   Reply With Quote