HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Whitney would you resign him if he keeps it up?

View Poll Results: Would you resign Whitney to a 1 yr deal if he keeps it up?
Yes resign him to a 1 yr deal 38 37.62%
No trade him 63 62.38%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-14-2013, 02:35 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by s7ark View Post
If he keeps putting up the numbers, then I am fine with re-signing him for 1 year. If he wants a longer deal then that, then he needs to be moved.
I do not see him taking a one year deal

jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
Cawz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
We have brutal defensive depth and very little offence coming from the back end.

Unless we can replace him with a better player, we may as well keep him.
Absolutely. If we replace him, it'll be by either overpaying for another defenseman that everyone will complain about because he costs too much, or rushing up a prospect that everyone will complain about because he's in over his head.

The fans are always so quick to jettison someone, but never seem to acknowledge the hole that it would make and what the cost is to fill it. I’d keep him unless he prices himself too high.

Cawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:48 PM
armandh01

I take the risk to see how he plays the rest of the season. I am not giving up offensive production from an already under performing D core. If he keeps up his production I extend him 2 years. I wouldn't decide this until a closer to end of deadline. If he puts up 3-6 pts over the next several games and is solid +/-, I take the risk. His value won't be very high until he has a contract that doesn't end at summer.

Just my 2 cents

Bottom line is we have no idea how rusty he was and how shot his confidence was. He's very different and much more impressive over the last 6 or 7 games.

armandh01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:50 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
I don't get all the hate Whitney gets. I think he is good and should be resigned.
No one hates Whitney... most hate the way he has been playing the past year and a bit. If you think he has been good then you are just kidding yourself.. Even Whitney admits he has been brutal.

For 1.5-2M sure as a UFA maybe.. but if there is a market for him.. he should be gone for an asset.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:53 PM
trent_vinyl

vCash: 250
I think it all depends on his attitude, which reportedly hasn't been all that great. If he's keen on staying here and has the appitude to be a decent vetern presence for the youngsters, I'd be OK with him here for another season.

trent_vinyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:00 PM
c4fn8d

I would resign him to a lower rate than what he is making now. The Oilers have been very accommodating with him with his 2 surgeries continuing to pay for him to hopefully get better.

I think he should be asked to repay some of that back by leaving a bit of money on the table for a 1 year deal to prove that he can get back to the levels of where he was.

c4fn8d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:03 PM
phaedrusDH

Quote:
Originally Posted by trent_vinyl View Post
I think it all depends on his attitude, which reportedly hasn't been all that great. If he's keen on staying here and has the appitude to be a decent vetern presence for the youngsters, I'd be OK with him here for another season.
has his attitude bee all that bad? he has not ripped on the organization, or his teammates, he's just pointed out the obvious - that by being benched he was obviously not in the picture (at the time). he has acknowledged his sulking last year and seems to be putting it behind him.

that's what i can tell from media reports and interviews. i still get the impression that he's here to win, and that he's interested in doing whatever he can to help.

phaedrusDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:04 PM
zeus3007*

Depends on what we get for offers. I don't like banking on such a risky player, so would lean towards trading him, unless we get a 1st or 2nd round pick.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:22 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

vCash: 50
I'd rather have Whitney in the lineup than Peckham.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:25 PM
Crobby

Quote:
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Can't be fooled by a couple of games.
Will other teams? I don't think he has much value and if its between him and Peckham or Potter in the lineup i'll take him

Crobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:25 PM
joestevens29

I mentioned it yesterday having Whitney on this team isn't an issue, it's when you think he can be a top 4 and pay him like a top 4 and he plays like your #8 or 9 d-man that you have a problem. One year one mil to play on the bottom pairing won't hurt. Banking on him to be a solid top 4 will.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:27 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
I do not see him taking a one year deal
I don't see him having much of a choice.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:33 PM
plikestechno

I think he's done with this place. He's just playing nice and playing hard so he can get ice time, get traded and get the best UFA contract he can. How people see him is very important to him and he doesn't want go out like Souray or Pronger. I think he actually liked it here and the team before things went sideways with his health and the coach.

I think he only signs here if we give him the best contract. But lets trade him first.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:36 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Nah. I'd rather trade him for a pick, then use the multiple picks we have to trade up into the late first round. He'll cost a minimum of 3.5 to extent. Not worth it.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 03:38 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

I voted resign but it depends. I would shop him near the deadline to test the market. If the return is good enough then trade him, otherwise attempt to resign him within reason. If he asks for too much you let him walk.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:21 PM
0ilerman
The King

Trading him now fetches next to nothing in return. Best return...2nd rounder maybe? more likely a 3rd.
The cupboards are full, we need effective NHLers right now. If he keeps up his play, he'll be valuable in a run towards (or just missing) the playoffs.
The real assessment needs to be made a few days before the deadline. If his level of play stays high, you gotta keep him. This team doesn't have his skillset in many other D-men. At that point, 1 year deal ~$3 makes sense.
If his play drops off, but the oilers are still in a race, I still keep him and risk letting him walk at the end of the year.
Only way I'd trade him - if the oilers are out of it and he's playing poorly.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:25 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
i resign him and let him rack up the point totals this year and by next trade deadline he could get us a 1st + for a team that needs a vet dman. it also allows us to bring in klefbom and anyone else a bit slower and use whitney as the stop gap

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
plikestechno

People are dreaming. It's not just about what the team wants, it's about what he wants too. In fact with Whitney it's always been more about what he wants.

He's going to walk for the most money he can get or to a team he thinks might win the cup. The end is near for him healthwise. The couple of public shamings he received this year didn't sit well and he's a guy to take that personally. Sitting him for a game or two would have been fine but when it was going on 5, 6, 7 games while other D men were playing arguably just as terrible at the time (Nick Schultz, Petry, Potter) and not getting benched while we were losing anyway wouldn't sit well with me either.

Barring a massive overpayment, which I hope we don't do, and the organization feverishly kissing his butt and pumping his tires which he doesn't deserve he's going to go somewhere else. So we should trade him for whatever we can get. Especially if he keeps playing well.

If we're in or close to a playoff spot there's no reason we can't trade one or even two of Smid, Nick Schultz or Whitney and maintain momentum with the other D here.

plikestechno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:34 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

If you can find a trade partner at the deadline I think you have to move him. His value isn't going to get any higher and he's too inconsistent.

I'd take a 2nd or 3rd round pick but would prefer a bottom pairing gritty RHD to play with Fistric if I can get it.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Oilbleeder
RattsSSV on the avy

Do not want back. I want an upgrade on the backend, not going into next season with 3-4 bottom pairing guys.

03-14-2013, 04:52 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

$4million I'd like to believe we could better spend elsewhere.

I agree with Horseradish who said yeah, he's scoring, but the other problems persist. He'll never again be the Whitney we first saw.

He's not a top 4 guy anymore and we have plenty of bottom two guys (Fistric, Potter, Peckham, + assorted prospects).

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:56 PM
Soundwave

Pair him up with Hemsky and move them together at the deadline IMO unless we are in a playoff spot (or just sitting outside one).

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
I'd rather have Whitney in the lineup than Peckham.
Of course, but not comparable players. You can probably sign Peckham for 2 years for $3M total.

I'd offer Whitney $3M on a one year deal. He might turn up his nose at the offer, but I can't see anyone offering him the $4M he makes now. Certainly not for more than two years.

Many players will learn that the new cba means pay cuts...

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:35 PM
Joey Moss

Time to move on..

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:38 PM
clayton magnet

I voted no because I didn't like his attitude when he got benched, kind of a whiner actually. I also agree that we get rid of him while his value is high.

clayton magnet is offline   Reply With Quote