HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
03-26-2013, 03:13 PM
Interactif

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafDangler View Post
How many times have you watched him play for this to be so obvious to you?
Just a FYI

I never comment on players I haven't seen play. And Erne has never impressed me to be considered a first rd pick, given his dependence on Grigorenko and his teammates calling him out for selfish play. He's slipped on lists so really I am not the only one that sees flaws to his game.

Old
03-26-2013, 05:26 PM
LeafDangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Just a FYI

I never comment on players I haven't seen play. And Erne has never impressed me to be considered a first rd pick, given his dependence on Grigorenko and his teammates calling him out for selfish play. He's slipped on lists so really I am not the only one that sees flaws to his game.
Just a FYI, you didn't answer the question. How many games could you have possibly seen to draw such strong opinions?

He is far from a selfish player. The thing with Duclair and Erne was blown way out of proportion. Nothing more than the usual Patty Roy circus and a volatile dressing room looking for scapegoats in guys fresh off the top prospects game. If you follow the Q you wouldn't put much stock in it. Their own team didn't.

He's a really good prospect. Late first rounder/early second imo. The drop in production without Grig in the lineup is far from ideal but taking the heart from that Remparts team away midseason like that was a huge blow.

Give the character assassination of the 17/18 kids you've hardly seen, let alone spoken to, a rest. I'm not even a huge fan, prefer Gauthier and Mantha, but you're in no position to speak so harshly.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:11 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
New NACScouting Top 10 for NHL Draft 1.Jones 2.Barkov 3.Drouin 4.Mackinnon 5.Monahan 6.Horvat 7.Lindholm 8.Ristolainen 9.Nurse 10.Nichushkin
This from Mark Seidel's twitter (Chief Scout of North American Central Scouting).

Barkov over Drouin and MacKinnon (see some of us aren't crazy). Horvat in the top ten is really surprising though.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:37 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
This from Mark Seidel's twitter (Chief Scout of North American Central Scouting).

Barkov over Drouin and MacKinnon (see some of us aren't crazy). Horvat in the top ten is really surprising though.
I dont buy in Horvat all but man am I glad to see Nurse getting up there !

03-27-2013, 01:41 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I'm not as big a fan of Nurse as most, but 9-12 seems like a good range for him.

Surprised Shinkaruk didn't make the top 10, though his scoring is down this year.

Old
03-27-2013, 01:53 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Barkov is an exceptional talent. Not a whole lot of flash and flair, but easily the most complete player in the draft.

Old
03-27-2013, 02:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
I'm not as big a fan of Nurse as most, but 9-12 seems like a good range for him.

Surprised Shinkaruk didn't make the top 10, though his scoring is down this year.
He's a project for sure more so than his peers above him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Barkov is an exceptional talent. Not a whole lot of flash and flair, but easily the most complete player in the draft.
Bingo. Hence he's a good pick for being in the top 3 - 2 or osmething.

Old
03-27-2013, 04:55 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
Amazing a player like that is outside the top 3 on most lists.

EDIT: I think I'd like to have the 4th overall pick above all others this year. I'd hate to choose between Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov...would rather settle for the last one remaining.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:05 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
Amazing a player like that is outside the top 3 on most lists.

EDIT: I think I'd like to have the 4th overall pick above all others this year. I'd hate to choose between Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, and Barkov...would rather settle for the last one remaining.
It would take quite a bit of weight off the shoulders, for sure.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Man although I'm happy to have our team's sight in the holy land that is known as playoffs...it would be epic if we could've somehow nabbed a top 10 player.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:27 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Top 10 is definitely a stretch, but Horvat is a great player. Every Knights game I've watched Horvat has been the most impressive draft-eligible player.

Old
03-27-2013, 05:39 PM
VanW27

Quote:
Man although I'm happy to have our team's sight in the holy land that is known as playoffs...it would be epic if we could've somehow nabbed a top 10 player.
You never know maybe the Russian factor causes Nikushkin to drop.

It would be amazing if we made the playoffs and still ended up with a prospect of his caliber

Old
03-27-2013, 06:18 PM
will13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
Top 10 is definitely a stretch, but Horvat is a great player. Every Knights game I've watched Horvat has been the most impressive draft-eligible player.
What are your thoughts on Domi? I don't watch catch very many Ohl games out west and from what it sounds like, this guys got all the skill in the world. How is he not ranked higher on a lot of people's list?

Old
03-27-2013, 06:34 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by will13 View Post
What are your thoughts on Domi? I don't watch catch very many Ohl games out west and from what it sounds like, this guys got all the skill in the world. How is he not ranked higher on a lot of people's list?
He does have tons of skills, but he isn't noticeable every shift. He's the kind of guy you won't really notice throughout the game but will make a nice pass or two and end up with three points. Domi could definitely translate well to the NHL, but at this point I have concerns with his consistency. The talent is there though, especially on the power play, where he controls the pace of the game. Horvat isn't all over the stat sheet, but every shift you see what he brings to the table. He's constantly in the dirty areas, and his offensive skills are extremely underrated. Would not be surprised if once some of the Knight's guys graduate Horvat puts up 80+ points next year while playing tough minutes.

Old
03-27-2013, 07:26 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

NACS has Barkov at 2? Who'd a thunk it?

Old
03-27-2013, 09:01 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanW27 View Post
You never know maybe the Russian factor causes Nikushkin to drop.

It would be amazing if we made the playoffs and still ended up with a prospect of his caliber
...but I'll cry like Cindy Crosby if we pass on him

Old
03-27-2013, 09:03 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

I'm losing hope in Ristolainen dropping out of the top 10

Old
03-27-2013, 09:32 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundinisagod View Post
I'm losing hope in Ristolainen dropping out of the top 10
People had Forsberg at 3 and Grigo top 5/7. The draft never disappoints in throwing a wrench in everyone's lists

Old
03-27-2013, 09:39 PM
Sundinisagod
next great swede

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
People had Forsberg at 3 and Grigo top 5/7. The draft never disappoints in throwing a wrench in everyone's lists
Very true, also Teravainen last year was a rumoured target of the Habs, I think he went 17th or so...Finnish factor?

Old
03-28-2013, 02:26 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Still love Oliver Bjorkstrand. Smallish winger but still incredibly talented. Maybe not as much as Petan (although Petan gets the sweet linemate situation, Bjorkstrand doesn't) but he's still hella talented.

Josh Burnside is interesting. Leafs are probably quite familiar with him as he plays with Percy on the Steelheads. Solid, unspectacular player. Leads rookies in playoff scoring currently. Late round pick.

Remi Elie is highly intriguing. Plays a power forward game, but hasn't gotten much playing time for a deep Knights team. Displays good instinct and physical play though. Could be a good project pick with good offensive upside. Know an OHL scout who loves him.

Mantha is playing well in the Q playoffs. Still a big fan of his in the mid first. Curiously he's done it with a less effective Zlobin which is a good sign. Points to him being less reliant on players around him. Teammate Vincent Dunn has been effective as well.

Samuel Morin - big 6 foot 6, 203 pound dman in the Q. Currently has 5 points in 4 playoff games which is a huge increase in PPG from his regular season. He's big, strong and tough and could be seeing some development in his offensive game. As a late round project pick, you could do a lot worse.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:44 PM
Terrence
Homeless

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Still love Oliver Bjorkstrand. Smallish winger but still incredibly talented. Maybe not as much as Petan (although Petan gets the sweet linemate situation, Bjorkstrand doesn't) but he's still hella talented.

Josh Burnside is interesting. Leafs are probably quite familiar with him as he plays with Percy on the Steelheads. Solid, unspectacular player. Leads rookies in playoff scoring currently. Late round pick.

Remi Elie is highly intriguing. Plays a power forward game, but hasn't gotten much playing time for a deep Knights team. Displays good instinct and physical play though. Could be a good project pick with good offensive upside. Know an OHL scout who loves him.

Mantha is playing well in the Q playoffs. Still a big fan of his in the mid first. Curiously he's done it with a less effective Zlobin which is a good sign. Points to him being less reliant on players around him. Teammate Vincent Dunn has been effective as well.

Samuel Morin - big 6 foot 6, 203 pound dman in the Q. Currently has 5 points in 4 playoff games which is a huge increase in PPG from his regular season. He's big, strong and tough and could be seeing some development in his offensive game. As a late round project pick, you could do a lot worse.
Not very high on Bjorkstrand, imo. Excellent playmaking abilities for sure, but really struggles in other areas of the game. Not the biggest kid out there and isn't very strong to boot. Also, everytime I've watched him I haven't seen a whole lot of gamebreaking speed, which a lot of undersized players have to rely on to succeed at the NHL level.

Elie is a guy that I would definitely be happy to see the Leafs pick in the 4th round or later.

Good to see Morin putting up points. He's always been a rock on the defensive side of the game, and it's good to see that his offensive game looks to be developing. There's some definite potential there. Morin along with Kostalek are two very good Rimouski d-men and it would not surprise me to see them both go in the 2nd round.

Old
03-28-2013, 02:49 PM
JackJ

If we're selecting 18-23: Kerby Rychel?

Old
03-28-2013, 03:14 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
For me, If Mantha/Gauthier/Erne are off the board, sure!

Old
03-28-2013, 03:19 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackJ View Post
I'm pretty high on Mantha around there tbh. Or if a Russian/Fin (Nichuskin/Ristoainen) go into free fall I'd love to grab one of them.

Old
03-28-2013, 06:17 PM
Duffman955

This is a pipe dream, but I still hope we get Monahan.

If not, Rosty looks real good. Hopefully he falls into our hands.

Closed Thread