HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
04-10-2013, 10:04 PM
ErnieLeafs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Ernie you my boy
Hagg's two-way game is up there with the best of the young D crop in the draft. He would be a solid partner in the future for a guy like Gardiner on the second pairing (if he reaches potential), because not only can he skate, make a good first pass, and find the shooting lanes, he can come back and defnd well.

I noticed at the WJC's that he's well adept at controlling where opposing forwards attack the zone/net from. Always pushing guys to the perimeter with his skating, and great gap control. He's a heads up player, who seems to have a good sense of what's going on around him, and he can shut the opposition down out front.

He's a great compliment to what we have in the fold already,

Old
04-10-2013, 10:10 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rare Jewel View Post
I've been riding the Hagg wagon for a while now.
But who has really seen him play? I highly doubt anyone on this board has. So he is very much a wildcard.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:14 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
But who has really seen him play? I highly doubt anyone on this board has. So he is very much a wildcard.
Have you seen Pulock?

Besides I saw him against Russia where he made Yakupov fairly irrelevant.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:19 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Have you seen Pulock?

Or.. Ya know... The fact that he plays on a team that is shown quite a bit online, at a readily accessible site, that's been suggested here a number of times.

Not everyone lives in a bubble, with no desire to look at what's available...

Lol

Old
04-10-2013, 10:22 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Quote:
Have you seen Pulock?

Not saying you didn't see him against Russia, but let's face it he is a bit of an unknown given Swedish games are almost impossible to see over here, so I don't know how anyone here can have a strong opinion of him from reading scouting reports.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:31 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interactif View Post
Not saying you didn't see him against Russia, but let's face it he is a bit of an unknown given Swedish games are almost impossible to see over here, so I don't know how anyone here can have a strong opinion of him from reading scouting reports.
I've watched almost every single game of alex wennberg, if you want you can do it buddy. Just gotta find the ways.

04-10-2013, 10:39 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Rocket View Post
I've watched almost every single game of alex wennberg, if you want you can do it buddy. Just gotta find the ways.
I've mentioned that Barkov/Wennberg/Ristolainen and others were available on FRS so many times, it's ludicrous. Some live off of reports, others watch.

Ignorance is bliss, though. You can say you don't like players if you can easily assume, rather than be shown the opposite.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:44 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Quote:
The average hockey fan who works and has a life(not you and no disrespect intended) would not invest money in Swedish games as you do, so I am leary of what anyone says they know about certain players. I will leave it up to posters to decide, I am leary however. I know Button, Seidel, and co do.

Old
04-10-2013, 10:57 PM
pooleboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnieLeafs View Post
I really like Mantha, but callim him a power forward would be based on his size, not the fact that he plays much of a power game.

From all I've been told, he's not as physical as you would like a kid his size to be.

I consider him a big, goal scoring winger. He does show some grit, but I don't think he plays much of a power game.

I'm down to Ristolainen, Rychel, Mantha, Erne, Gauthier, Lazar, Hagg, or Fucale, for our pick.

Give me one of them, and I'm happy.
agreed although i really hope Pulock falls but if that doesn't happen really hoping we take Fucale... would be nice to have that top goalie prospect and he would have as much time as he wants with burke at the helm.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:00 PM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
agreed although i really hope Pulock falls but if that doesn't happen really hoping we take Fucale... would be nice to have that top goalie prospect and he would have as much time as he wants with burke at the helm.
Pulock and his maple leaf tattooed on his chest/heart are destined to be a future Maple Leaf one day. Could be that kind of year for us.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:06 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooleboy View Post
Like I said, wouldn't necessarily be upset, but we could do better. Potential is there to hit a home run. I think we have afforded ourselves the opportunity to take a swing, after years of safe, steady picks.

We have stocked the system with the character, steady, yadda yadda. While I don't want a player lacking character, there isn't anyone in the 1st that fits that description, so why not shoot for the stars on a Mantha/Fucale type of pick?

One could be a goal scoring, dominant winger, the other could be an all star goaltender. We could use both.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:29 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Will Butcher (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=132666 Ernie I think you said you were a fan? might be mixing you up with someone else lol) has 13 points in his last 11 games. He's a project, but he's an OFD with a lot of potential that might be smart to look at in the 3rd/4th/5th round.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:34 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Will Butcher (http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=132666 Ernie I think you said you were a fan? might be mixing you up with someone else lol) has 13 points in his last 11 games. He's a project, but he's an OFD with a lot of potential that might be smart to look at in the 3rd/4th/5th round.
Yes Sir, that's me.

Kid is really smart, skates well, and has some solid offensive upside. I think Butcher in the 3rd/4th round is a GREAT spot to take a Dman with good upside.

1.Mantha/Erne/Rychel/Hagg/Fucale/Gauthier
2. Dano/Jarry/Comrie
3. M-O Roy
3/4. Butcher

We walk away from that draft with some GREAT pieces moving forward.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:36 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Yes Sir, that's me.

Kid is really smart, skates well, and has some solid offensive upside. I think Butcher in the 3rd/4th roand is a GREAT spot to take a Dman with good upside.

1.Mantha/Erne/Rychel/Hagg/Fucale/Gauthier
2. Dano/Jarry/Comrie
3. M-O Roy
3/4. Butcher

We walk away from that draft with some GREAT pieces moving forward.
dano is someone I'm interested in but not sure about, as I haven't watched much of him.

Theodore should be in the second round list IMO, been tooting his horn too much

Old
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
dano is someone I'm interested in but not sure about, as I haven't watched much of him.

Theodore should be in the second round list IMO, been tooting his horn too much
Marko Dano could be a homerun in round 2. Youtube his package from the WJC. He's a tenacious, hard working kid, with great speed, and has high offensive talent and upside.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Terrence

Wouldn't be surprised to see Marc-Olivier Roy go in the 2nd round. Kid has been sensational in the playoffs with 16 points in 9 games.

Old
04-10-2013, 11:46 PM
ErnieLeafs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Wouldn't be surprised to see Marc-Olivier Roy go in the 2nd round. Kid has been sensational in the playoffs with 16 points in 9 games.
I could see us taking him.

He is the kind of player who grinds and works for every inch of ice, and can be that spark for a team on a nightly basis. Reminds me a bit of the way Brady Vail plays, with less D potential, but more offensive potential.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:05 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Quote:
Marko Dano could be a homerun in round 2. Youtube his package from the WJC. He's a tenacious, hard working kid, with great speed, and has high offensive talent and upside.
He does seem to have impeccable position from those highlights. Wonder if there are some full games I can see online...now I gotta search for this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
would be a nice addition for sure.

Old
04-11-2013, 12:17 AM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

Another person who we might take a flyer on is dea. He has a hot start but cooled down.
In the later rounds if he is available is, Duclair who might have fallen down due to the depth but can be somewhat good IMO.

Old
04-11-2013, 05:13 AM
QMJHLfollower
Heart and soul

Quote:
Another person who we might take a flyer on is dea. He has a hot start but cooled down.
In the later rounds if he is available is, Duclair who might have fallen down due to the depth but can be somewhat good IMO.
Big fan of Dea, realy hope we take a fler on him on draft day. Great offensive upside, very good hockey sense, great shot and goal scoring abilities, can make play as well.

I like Duclair as well, if he falls to our second round pick, yeah for sure. I believe he's a first round talent but with the depth in this draft he could fall to the second.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:23 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Ryan Pulock, has a Maple Leafs tatoo on his chest and is a big Toronto Blue Jays fan, have to admit, it would be fitting if we could draft this character kid. Also a Gym rat, does the right things to be better.

Ryan Pulock @rpulock2 30 Mar
Donno if my followers have noticed how excited I am for the @BlueJays season! #worldseries??? #lovethisteam

Ryan Pulock @rpulock2 01 Apr
Well back to the gym, time to focus on getting better #onedayatatime #grind

Old
04-11-2013, 06:28 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Justin Bailey

Here's my sleeper of the draft as pointed out in September scoring a huge goal against London, this kid is going to be a beauty, another we should take a good long look at, home run pick. http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

Old
04-11-2013, 06:36 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Could we get lucky if Pulock falls into our laps?

Button on his ranking of #25 for Ryan.

Quote:
Craig Button: I like Ryan and feel he's an NHL defenseman. For me, it's inevitable that questions will abound about him. I see it more as others who have shown a little more in terms of NHL potential over time. That being said, it is the forwards I am seeing that from and not from defensemen so in terms of defensemen in the draft, he is in a similar grouping. Like Derrick Pouliot last year, and I said this, it wouldn't surprise me if Ryan ended up being selected high because he has a lot of very good qualities and it comes down to what a particular team may desire in a player.

Old
04-11-2013, 06:44 AM
Leafs For Life*

I want by position
W: Shinkaruk
C: Domi
D: Pulock
G: Fucale

Old
04-11-2013, 06:56 AM
The Winter Soldier
NHL Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaffan16 View Post
I want by position
W: Shinkaruk
C: Domi
D: Pulock
G: Fucale
From where we would most likely be picking, any of:

Pulock
Hartman
Bailey

I will be happy if any of these guy's are Leafs, all fit a Morrison type pick.

Closed Thread